Category:Actresses of German descent
Pages in category "Actresses of German descent"
The following 21 pages are in this category, out of 21 total. This list may not reflect recent changes (learn more).
The following 21 pages are in this category, out of 21 total. This list may not reflect recent changes (learn more).
1. Kim Basinger – Kimila Ann "Kim" Basinger is an American actress and former fashion model. Following a successful career in New York during the 1970s, she moved to Los Angeles where she began her acting career on television in 1976. Basinger starred in several made-for-TV films, including a remake of From Here before making her feature debut in the 1981 drama Hard Country. Basinger won the Academy Award for Best Supporting Actress for her performance as Lynn Bracken in the 1997 film L.A. Confidential. For her role in L.A. Confidential, Basinger also won the Golden Globe for the SAG Award for Best Supporting Actress. Her other films include Dreamed of Africa, 8 Mile, The Door in the Floor, Cellular, The Nice Guys, the upcoming Fifty Shades Darker. She was born on December 8, 1953. Ann Lee, was a model, actress and swimmer who appeared in several Esther Williams films. Donald Wade Basinger, was a big band musician and loan manager; as a U.S. Army soldier, he landed in Normandy on D-Day. The third of five children, Basinger has two sisters, Ashley and Barbara. Basinger's ancestry includes Scots-Irish. Basinger was raised a Methodist. She has described herself as extremely shy, which had a major effect on her during young adulthood. Basinger has said that her shyness was so extreme that she would faint if asked to speak in class. She studied ballet to her mid-teens.Kim Basinger – Basinger at the 62nd Academy Awards in March 1990
2. Ingrid Bergman – Ingrid Bergman was a Swedish actress who starred in a variety of European and American films. Bergman won three Academy Awards, two Emmy Awards, four Golden Globe Awards, the Tony Award for Best Actress. Before becoming a star in American films, she had been a leading actress in Swedish films. Her introduction to American audiences came in the English-language remake of Intermezzo. Selznick's financial problems meant that Bergman was often loaned to other studios. Her last films for Selznick were Alfred Hitchcock's Spellbound and Notorious. Her final film for Hitchcock was Under Capricorn. After a decade in American films, Bergman starred following the revelation that she was having an extramarital affair with the director. Many of her film documents can be seen in the Wesleyan University Cinema Archives. According to the St. James Encyclopedia of Popular Culture, she quickly became a contender for Hollywood's greatest leading actress. In 2007, the American Film Institute ranked Bergman as the female screen legend of classic American cinema. When she was two years old, her mother died. Her father, photographer, died when she was 13. In the years before he died, he had her take voice lessons for three years. Her father documented all her birthdays with a borrowed camera.Ingrid Bergman – Ingrid Bergman
3. Sandra Bullock – Sandra Annette Bullock is an American actress and producer. Her role was in the film Demolition Man. Bullock subsequently starred in successful films including Speed, While You Were Sleeping, The Net, A Time to Kill, Hope Floats, Practical Magic. She achieved further success in Miss Congeniality, Two Weeks Notice, Crash, The Proposal and The Heat. Bullock's greatest success is the animated comedy film Minions, which grossed over US$1 billion at the box office. In 2007, Bullock was one of Hollywood's highest-paid actresses. Bullock was also named "Most Beautiful Woman" by People magazine in 2015. In addition to acting, she is the founder of the company Fortis Films. All About Steve. Bullock made several appearances during its run. Bullock was born in Arlington, Virginia, a suburb of Washington, D.C. Bullock's father is from Birmingham, Alabama, has English, Irish, German, French ancestry, while Bullock's mother was German. Bullock's maternal grandfather was a scientist from Nuremberg, Germany. Bullock's father, in charge of the Army's Military Postal Service in Europe, was stationed in Nuremberg when he met his wife. They moved to Arlington, where John worked with the Army Materiel Command, before becoming a contractor for The Pentagon.Sandra Bullock – Bullock at the Australian premiere of The Heat in 2013
4. Sarah Chalke – She also had a recurring role on the third season of the ABC/TBS sitcom Cougar Town. Chalke was born in Ottawa, Ontario, was raised in Vancouver, British Columbia. She is the middle of three daughters born to Douglas and Angela Chalke. Her mother is from Rostock, Germany. According to a Scrubs commentary track, she used to attend the German school in her hometown twice a week. She speaks French "fairly well." This was incorporated into Elliot Reid, who spoke French at the same levels. Chalke graduated from Handsworth Secondary School in North Vancouver in 1994. Chalke's acting career began at age 8 when she began appearing in musical theater productions. At 12, she became a reporter on the Canadian children's show KidZone. Chalke would later return to the role of Becky after Goranson departed for a second time. After the show ended, Chalke returned briefly to Canada, where she starred in the CBC Television drama Nothing Too Good for a Cowboy. In 2001, she was cast as Dr. Elliot Reid in the NBC Scrubs. She has appeared in several feature films, including Ernest Goes to School and Cake. She appeared with The Lonely Island, a parody of the hit was credited as "Pamela Fenton".Sarah Chalke – Chalke in December 2008.
5. Claudia Christian – Her main work is publicizing the Sinclair Method as a cure for alcoholism. Christian was born in Glendale, the daughter of Hildegard, who worked as the director of Giorgio Beverly Hills, James Michael Coghlan. Her father has Irish ancestry. She was raised in Connecticut and England. In 1994 -- 1998, she appeared in the first four seasons of Babylon 5. She left unexpectedly when contract negotiations for the final season -- aggravated by the possibility that there would not be one -- broke down. The series' creator, maintains that she chose to leave on her own. She appeared in the fifth season's finale, filmed during the fourth season, when it seemed likely that the series would end prematurely. She starred in 2005. She voices Anne Manx in the full cast recordings for the Radio Repertory Company of America. The science series is currently shown as in pre-production for "Anne Manx 6". In 2010, Christian appeared in the Showtime Look: The Series. Christian conceived Claudia Con UK, which took place in the United Kingdom on August 13 -- 14, 2011. "After years of attending conventions where fans were mistreated, told not to touch, photograph, film, breathe.... I decided to throw what I call the'anti-convention.'Claudia Christian – Claudia Christian in June 2009
6. Kirsten Dunst – Kirsten Caroline Dunst is an American actress. Dunst made her debut in Oedipus Wrecks for the anthology film New York Stories. She appeared in Little Women the same year and in Jumanji the following year. Dunst achieved fame for her portrayal of Mary Jane Watson in Sam Raimi's Spider-Man trilogy. Dunst starred to Lose Friends & Alienate People. She won the Best Actress Award at the Cannes Film Festival and the Saturn Award for Best Actress for her performance in Lars von Trier's Melancholia. Dunst starred in 2015 playing the role of a slightly delusional and neurotic hairdresser. In 2001, Dunst made her singing debut in the film Get Over It, in which she performed two songs. She also sang the jazz song "After You've Gone" for the end credits of the film The Cat's Meow. Dunst was born in Point Pleasant, New Jersey, to Inez and Klaus Dunst. She has a younger brother, Christian. Her mother was an artist and one-time gallery owner. Dunst's father is German, originally from Hamburg, Dunst's mother was born in New Jersey. Until the age of eleven, Dunst lived in Brick Township, New Jersey, where she attended Ranney School. In 1995, her mother filed for divorce.Kirsten Dunst – Dunst at the 2013 premiere of Anchorman 2: The Legend Continues in Sydney, Australia
7. Nicole Eggert – Nicole Elizabeth Eggert is an American actress. Her notable roles include Jamie Powell in the series Charles in Charge and Summer Quinn in the series Baywatch. In 1999 Nicole guest starred on Boy Meets World. She has made several Christmas movies that premiered on Lifetime. She recently came on ABC's celebrity diving show Splash. Eggert was born in Glendale, California. Rolf Eggert, was a German-born canning company executive. Eggert's quest for stardom started when her mother entered her in beauty contests. At age five, Eggert was Miss Universe in the petite division. An agent offered a role in a Johnson's Baby Shampoo commercial. In 1980, at age eight, Eggert landed a role in the movie Rich and Famous, opposite Jacqueline Bisset and Candice Bergen, playing Bergen's character's young daughter. Eggert had a recurring role on Who's The Boss? from 1985–1986 as Marci Ferguson, a friend of Samantha Micelli. In January 1987, she starred as Jamie Powell. After the show was cancelled in 1990, she starred as Alexa Adams in the film adaptation of Danielle Steele's Secrets which released in 1992. She was featured on Baywatch.Nicole Eggert – Eggert at the Chiller Theatre Expo 2014
8. Dakota Fanning – Hannah Dakota Fanning is an American actress and model. As a actress, Fanning went on to appear in high-profile films such as Man on Fire, War of the Worlds and Charlotte's Web. She then began the transition to The Secret Life of Bees. Although the focus of Fanning's career is acting, she also has fashion-related jobs. Her debut in modeling came in 2009 when she made the cover of various magazines among others. Fanning also appeared in the fashion week at the opening ceremony of Fashion Week New York S/S 2015. She was born in Conyers, Georgia. Fanning attended Montessori School of Covington. Her maternal grandfather is former American football player Rick Arrington, her aunt is former ESPN reporter Jill Arrington. Dakota is the older sister of Elle Fanning, also an actress. She has English, French, Irish ancestry. Her family are Southern Baptist. I got to wear brace and nose tubes for the two days I worked." She subsequently had several guest roles including CSI: Crime Scene Investigation, The Practice, Spin City. Fanning also portrayed the title characters of The Ellen Show as young girls.Dakota Fanning – Fanning at the world premiere of Very Good Girls in January 2013
9. Elle Fanning – Mary Elle Fanning is an American actress and singer. In 2011, she starred as Alice Dainard in J. J. Abrams' sci-fi-drama, Super 8. For this role Fanning was often cited as one of the film's best aspects. Her aunt is ESPN reporter Jill Arrington. She is the younger sister of Dakota Fanning, also an actress. Fanning has Irish, German, English, French ancestry. Her family are members of the Southern Baptist Convention. Fanning has been quoted as saying, "We're just normal sisters. We just play together." She started acting before turning three years old. Fanning began her acting career by playing the younger version of the movie I Am Sam. At the age of four, she won her first role independent of her sister in the comedy Daddy Day Care. The film's producers originally were so impressed with Fanning that they used only her. Late in 2003, she appeared in the small role of Sweetie Pie Thomas. In 2004, Fanning did work in the English dubbed version of Miyazaki's animated film My Neighbor Totoro, in the role of Mei.Elle Fanning – Fanning at the 2014 San Diego Comic-Con International.
10. Paris Hilton – Paris Whitney Hilton is an American businesswoman, socialite, television personality, model, actress, singer, DJ, author. Hilton is the great-granddaughter of the founder of Hilton Hotels. In 2003, a tape with Hilton and her then-boyfriend Rick Salomon, later released as 1 Night in Paris, was leaked to the public. In 2004, she released her book Confessions of an Heiress, which became a New York Times Best Seller. Hilton's debut single "Stars Are Blind" quickly became an instant hit around the world including number one in Scotland. Paris, was released worldwide on August 22, 2006. The album has since sold over 600,000 copies worldwide. Her other acting credits include Bottoms Up, National Lampoon's Pledge This!, The Hottie and the Nottie, Repo! The Genetic Opera and Sofia Coppola's film The Bling Ring. In 2012, she made her debut at the São Paulo Pop Music Festival. Although her performance was criticized, Hilton became one of the highest-paid DJs, holding club residencies all over the world. She also returned to music, signing a record deal with Lil Wayne's and Birdman's label Cash Money Records. She has parlayed her media fame with her endorsement; her fragrances have reportedly earned $1.5 billion. There are currently 44 Paris Hilton stores worldwide, with products including perfumes, handbags, watches and footwear. She earns from product sales.Paris Hilton – Hilton at the Fox Reality Channel Really Awards, Hollywood, California, 2009
11. Vera Holtz – Vera Lúcia Fraletti Holtz, better known as Vera Holtz is a Brazilian television and cinema actress. 1983 - Parabéns pra Você.... Saleswoman 1989 - Top Model.... Irma Lamer 1989 - Que Rei Sou Eu? .... Fanny 1990 - Barriga de Aluguel.... Dos Anjos 1990 - Desejo.... Angélica 1991 - Vamp.... Ms. Alice Penn Taylor 1992 - De Corpo e Alma.... Simone Guedes 1993 - Fera Ferida.... Querubina Praxedes de Menezes 1995 - A Próxima Vítima.... Quitéria Quarta-Feira 1996 - O Fim do Mundo.... Florisbela Mendonça 1996 - A Troca 1997 - Por Amor.... Sirléia Pereira 1999 - Chiquinha Gonzaga.... Dona Ló 2000 - Uga-Uga....Vera Holtz – Vera Holtz
12. Princess Maria Carolina of Bourbon – Princess Maria Carolina of Bourbon-Two Sicilies, Duchess of Palermo is the eldest daughter of Prince Carlo, Duke of Castro and Princess Camilla, Duchess of Castro. Princess Maria Carolina was born on 23 June 2003 in Rome, Italy. She is the first member of the House of Bourbon-Two Sicilies to be born on Italian soil in more than 150 years. Princess Maria Carolina was baptized at the Palatine Chapel of the Royal Palace of Caserta. Her godparents are Prince Laurent of Belgium, Prince Pierre d'Arenberg, Ines Sastre. Chantal is for the Princess's paternal grandmother Chantal de Chevron-Villette and Edoarda for her maternal grandmother. Beatrice is after her paternal aunt Princess Béatrice of Bourbon-Two Sicilies, whilst Januaria is in honour of the Patron Saint of Naples. Princess Maria Carolina has Princess Maria Chiara, born in 2005. Both Princess Maria Carolina and Princess Maria Chiara live in Monaco. Her sister attended the baptism of Prince Vincent and Princess Josephine of Denmark in 2011. Carlo, is one of six godparents to Princess Josephine. Princess Maria Carolina attended a Planet Solar Ship Return Ceremony, which took place on 25 May 2012. Princess Maria Chiara also attended. To celebrate Princess Maria Carolina's ninth birthday, the family went in Italy. Her sister Princess Maria Chiara have been supporting as Ambassadors the project "Passion Sea" since November 2015.Princess Maria Carolina of Bourbon – Princess Maria Carolina of Bourbon-Two Sicilies
13. Pink (singer) – Alecia Beth Moore, known professionally as Pink, is an American singer, songwriter, dancer, actress. She was signed to her first record label with original R&B girl group Choice in 1995. The label saw potential in only Pink, offering her a solo deal. Choice disbanded in 1998. Pink rose as an artist with her debut solo album, Can't Take Me Home. It was certified double-platinum in the United States and spawned two Billboard Hot 100 top-ten hits: "There You Go" and "Most Girls". She gained further recognition with the Moulin Rouge! Soundtrack "Lady Marmalade", which gave Pink her first Grammy Award as well as her first number-one single on the Billboard Hot 100. Pink took control in early 2001 insisting she wanted to work with her childhood hero, Linda Perry. She pursued direction for her second album, Missundaztood. Pink's third album, Try This, earned the Grammy Award for Best Female Rock Vocal Performance. Pink concluded the first decade of her career with the compilation album Greatest Hits... So Far!!, which featured "Fuckin' Perfect" and the chart-topping single "Raise Your Glass". In 2014 Pink recorded a collaborative album, Rose Ave. with Canadian musician Dallas Green under a folk music duo named You+Me. Noted for having "a strong signature voice and a literally acrobatic ability on stage", Pink has received mostly positive reception from music critics.Pink (singer) – Pink performing live during Truth About Love Tour in April 2013
14. Isabella Rossellini – Isabella Fiorella Elettra Giovanna Rossellini is an Italian-American actress, filmmaker, author, philanthropist, model. Rossellini also received a Golden Globe Award nomination for her performance in Crime of the Century. She has four other siblings from her father's two other marriages: Romano, Renzo, Gil, Raffaella. Rossellini was raised in Rome, as well as in Santa Marinella and Paris. She underwent an operation for appendicitis at the age of five. At 11, she was diagnosed with scoliosis. Consequently, she has permanent incision scars on her back and shin. At 19, she went to New York City, where she attended Finch College, while working as a translator and a RAI television reporter. She also appeared intermittently on L'altra Domenica, a TV show featuring Roberto Benigni. However, she did not decide to stay full-time in New York until her marriage to Martin Scorsese. At the age of 28, her modeling career began, when she was photographed by Bruce Weber for British Vogue and by Bill King for American Vogue. Her image has appeared as ELLE. In March 1988, an exhibition dedicated to photographs of her, called Portrait of a Woman, was held at the Musee d'Art Moderne in Paris. At Lancôme, in 1990, she was involved in product development for the fragrance Trésor. In 1996, when she was 44, she was removed as the face of Lancôme for being "too old."Isabella Rossellini – Rossellini at the 2013 Toronto International Film Festival
15. Brooke Shields – Brooke Christa Shields is an American actress, model and former child star. In 1983, Shields suspended her career as a model to attend Princeton University, where she graduated with a bachelor's degree in Romance Languages. She also worked alongside Bell again in the animated films Adventure Planet and A Monsterous Holiday. She was born in a businessman. Through her father's side, she has Italian, French, Irish, English roots, along with high social position and relations to nobility. These are namely the Gattilusi-Palaiologos-Savoy; Grimaldi; Imperiali; Carafa; Doria; Doria-Pamphili-Landi; Chigi-Albani; and Torlonia dynasties. Her paternal grandmother was the Italian princess Donna Marina Torlonia. Shields' mother was of German, English, Scots-Irish, Welsh descent. Shields was raised in the Roman Catholic faith. When Teri announced that she was pregnant, Frank's family paid her a sum to terminate the pregnancy. Teri took the money, but violated the agreement and gave birth to their daughter who they named Brooke. Frank married Teri, but they were divorced when Brooke was five months old. She has two stepbrothers and three half-sisters. Up, she took riding lessons. For her confirmation in the Roman Catholic Church at age 10, she took the name "Camille".Brooke Shields – Shields at Make Believe On Broadway, November 23, 2011
16. Meryl Streep – Mary Louise "Meryl" Streep is an American actress and singer. Streep made her film debut later that same year in Julia. In 1978, Streep received her first Academy Award nomination for The Deer Hunter. She is one of the six actors to have won three or more competitive Academy Awards for acting. She has also received 30 Golden Globe nominations, winning eight -- more competitive wins than any other actor. President Barack Obama awarded the 2010 National Medal of Arts and in 2014 the Presidential Medal of Freedom. In 2003, the government of France made a Commander of the Order of Arts and Letters. On November 3, 2016, Streep was selected as the recipient of the Golden Globe Cecil B. DeMille Award at the 74th Golden Globe Awards. She has two younger brothers, Dana David and Harry William III. Streep's father was of Swiss ancestry. Another line of her father's family was from Giswil, Switzerland. Her mother had English, German, Irish ancestry. Some of Streep's maternal ancestors were descended from 17th-century immigrants from England. Lawrence Wilkinson, was one of the first Europeans to settle in Rhode Island.Meryl Streep – Streep in the late 1970s
17. Uma Thurman – Uma Karuna Thurman is an American actress and model. Thurman has performed in dramas to science fiction and action movies. Thurman starred throughout the 1990s such as The Truth About Cats & Dogs, Batman & Robin, Les Misérables. She won a Golden Globe Award for the TV movie Hysterical Blindness. Thurman was born in Boston, Massachusetts. Sanskrit उमा, means "light". Thurman received a Buddhist upbringing, spent altogether around two years in the Indo-Himalayan town of Almora. She now considers herself to be an agnostic. She grew up mostly in Amherst, Massachusetts, where she went to Amherst Regional Middle School, then moved to Woodstock, New York. She has three brothers, Ganden, Dechen, Mipam, a half-sister named Taya, from her father's previous marriage. Thurman's first cousin, once removed, is Swedish football player Max von Schlebrügge. She is described as having been an introverted girl, teased for her tall frame, angular bone structure, unusual name. When Thurman was 10 years old, a friend's mother suggested a nose job. As a child, she suffered bouts of body dysmorphic disorder. She attended Amherst Public Schools.Uma Thurman – Thurman at the Nymphomaniac premiere at the 2014 Berlin Film Festival