Pages in category "Canadian YouTubers"
The following 32 pages are in this category, out of 32 total, this list may not reflect recent changes (learn more).
The following 32 pages are in this category, out of 32 total, this list may not reflect recent changes (learn more).
1. Maria Aragon – Maria Lourdes Aragon is a Canadian singer of Filipino descent. Aragon gained fame after a YouTube video of her performing Lady Gagas Born This Way went viral, Maria Lourdes Aragon was born on July 17,2000 in Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada. Aragon has a sister, Rojuane Aragon. At a young age, Maria had a big interest in singing, on February 16,2011, a video of Aragon performing a cover of Born This Way by Lady Gaga was posted to her sisters YouTube channel to showcase her talent to friends and family. In a week, her video reached over 11 million views, as of October 2015, the video had over 58 million views. During an interview on HOT103 in Winnipeg, Lady Gaga called into the show to tell Aragon how moved she had been by her performance, Lady Gaga then invited an already surprised Aragon to perform Born This Way with her at The Monster Ball Tour concert in Toronto. In Toronto, Ontario, Canada,99.9 Virgin Radio called Aragon, Aragon later rejoined Lady Gaga and her team of back up dancers for an uptempo finale version of Born This Way. On March 29,2011, Aragon performed Born This Way at her home for Canadian Prime Minister Stephen Harper and she and Harper also performed a duet of John Lennons song Imagine. In 2011, she appeared in commercials for HTC singing the Knaan song, Wavin Flag and Gap Kids, on July 20,2011, Aragon arrived in the Philippines where she signed a contract with Star Records, the same recording company who also signed Charice. Her first self-titled album consist of seven tracks including Youre My Home, composed and originally sung by Odette Quesada and remade by Lea Salonga for the Star Cinema film, Way Back Home. Among the songs in Aragons album is her rendition of Lady Gagas Born This Way, to promote the album, she appeared on several ABS CBN shows including the musical variety show, ASAP Rocks and series of mall shows. In 2012, Aragon filmed and released a video entitled, Rehearsals for Google Zeitgeist London 2012, the video shows Aragon rehearsing for the Google Zeitgeist London, hence the title. Then later, Aragon released a mashup of Alex Clares Too Close. In 2013, Aragon returned covering her favorite Disney songs, featuring her friend, Ashly Pascual and her brother, later, Aragons cover of Clarity by Zedd ft. Foxes, was released September 23,2013. Aragon started a session entitled, #SoulfulSessions, where she covers songs by various artists. Aragons first session was released on November 4,2013, where she covered All of Me by John Legend, following the first session, Aragon released an original single entitled, You Are Enough. Then, Aragon released sessions for Royals and Roar, Maria Aragon Maria Aragons channel on YouTube Official websiteMaria Aragon – Aragon with Lady Gaga c.2009
2. Nicole Arbour – Nicole Arbour is a Canadian actress, choreographer, comedian, dancer, musician, singer and writer from Hamilton, Ontario. Arbour is a cheerleader for the Toronto Raptors of the National Basketball Association. As an actress, Arbour appeared in Howie Do It, arbours single Bang Bang was released on April 30,2013. On June 18,2015, her single and music video to Fun Revolution was released and was the first Periscope music video to debut, in April 2015, Arbour was nominated as a finalist for Best Comedian for the Shorty Awards however lost to Hannibal Buress. Arbours brand of cheerleader meets motivational speaker was the foundation of her #GoTeam movement, after suffering from a devastating car accident that left her in chronic pain, she used her disdain for the word disabled to motivate her to get better. In September 2015, Arbour became the subject of controversy when she posted a video on her YouTube channel titled Dear Fat People. Critics argue the video endorses fat shaming, the video was temporarily unavailable on YouTube, over claims that it violated the YouTube terms of service, but was later restored. Arbour was the subject of public and celebrity criticism, with model Ashley Graham labelling her comments as downright disgusting. Director Pat Mills fired Arbour from a movie after seeing the video and was quoted via several sources. I was bullied a lot as a kid, I am no stranger to ridicule and loneliness. It went on for six minutes. I felt like I had been punched in the gut, I was so upset I was shaking like Shelley Duvall in The Shining, ”. On September 10,2015, Arbour, via Twitter denied ever having any form of involvement in the film, soon after the video, Arbour was fired from her job where she was a choreographer for an anti-bullying video for kids. The director of the film she was hired to work on said it made me never want to see her again, TIME cited an interview stating, Arbour doesn’t see her comments as bullying, but rather an intense form of truth-telling. Arbour was quoted defending her actions, “I find seeing someone’s head being blown off offensive, “I find children starving in a country with more than enough food offensive. I find women’s bodies being mutilated for religious purposes, that is offensive to me, but words and satire I don’t find offensive. On January 11,2016, YouTube personality Matthew Santoro posted My Abuse Story, the video was originally set to private after Santoro ended the relationship but was accidentally made public. He decided to keep it that way after receiving support from fans, Santoro claimed he was manipulated into isolating himself from his friends and family because of Arbour’s jealousy, and was later even punched in the faceNicole Arbour – Arbour at the 2014 Hamilton Festival of Friends
3. AsapScience – AsapScience, stylized as AsapSCIENCE, is a YouTube channel created by Canadian youtubers Mitchell Moffit and Gregory Brown. The channel produces weekly videos that touch on different topics of science. The two creators have a channel, AsapTHOUGHT, which contains videos that discuss several issues. AsapScience videos are about science, with episodes, such as How Much Sleep Do You Actually Need. Discussing functions of the human body and they sometimes make songs explaining science such as Science Love Song and Periodic Table Song. Each videos scientific concepts are conveyed using colored drawings on a whiteboard, as revealed in a behind-the-scenes video, Mitchell voices and composes the background music for the videos, while Greg is the primary illustrator. The two are a gay couple who met in college while studying biology and have been together since the beginning of 2007. The most viewed video of the channel currently is What Colour is this dress, which has over 21 million views. AsapScience has collaborated with Vsauce3 on 4 videos, The Scientific Secret of Strength and Muscle Growth, and Can You Genetically Enhance Yourself. One of the videos, Could We Stop An Asteroid, featured Bill Nye, who discussed different ways humanity could stop an asteroid if one were on a collision course for Earth. On 2 February 2014, AsapScience announced that they have collaborated with CBC News to produce one video daily related to sports, AsapScience also appeared in IISuperwomanIIs #LEH and IVIVI. As of February 25,2017, AsapScience and AsapThought have about 7 million subscribers combined, in February 2016, Mitchell Moffit was announced as one of the 16 HouseGuests on Big Brother Canada 4. He placed 11th and was evicted on day 42 in a 5-3 eviction vote and he was the first member of the Jury. Vsauce Veritasium MinutePhysics Numberphile Kurzgesagt – In a NutshellAsapScience – AsapSCIENCE
4. Justin Bieber – Justin Drew Bieber is a Canadian singer and songwriter. After a talent manager discovered him through his YouTube videos covering songs in 2008 and signed to RBMG, Bieber released his debut EP, My World and it was certified Platinum in the U. S. He became the first artist to have seven songs from a record chart on the Billboard Hot 100. Bieber released his first full-length studio album, My World 2.0 and it debuted at or near number one in several countries, was certified triple Platinum in the U. S. and contained his single Baby. He released his studio album, Under the Mistletoe, in November 2011. Bieber released his studio album, Believe, in 2012. His fourth studio album Purpose was released in November 2015, spawning three number one singles, What Do You Mean and his U. S. album and singles sales total 44.7 million. He has sold an estimated 100 million records, making him one of the world’s best-selling music artists, Bieber has won numerous awards, including the American Music Award for Artist of the Year in 2010 and 2012. In his career, he has won one Grammy Award for Best Dance Recording for the song Where Are Ü Now at the 2016 ceremony. He has been listed four times by Forbes magazine among the top ten most powerful celebrities in the world in 2011,2012, Bieber also became the first artist to surpass 10 billion total video views on Vevo. Bieber was born on March 1,1994, in London, Ontario, at St Josephs Hospital and he is the only child of Jeremy Jack Bieber and Patricia Pattie Mallette. Pattie raised her son with the help of her mother, Diane and his mother is of French-Canadian descent, his paternal great-grandfather was of German ancestry, and his other roots are English, Scottish and Irish. He has also claimed that he has some undetermined Aboriginal Canadian ancestry, through Jeremy, Bieber has two younger half-siblings, Jazmyn and Jaxon. Pattie worked a series of low-paying office jobs, raising Bieber as a mother in low-income housing. Bieber has maintained contact with his father, Bieber attended a French-language immersion elementary school in Stratford, the Jeanne Sauvé Catholic School. Growing up, he learned to play the piano, drums, guitar and he graduated from high school in Stratford, Ontario, the St. Michael Catholic Secondary School in 2012 with a 4.0 GPA. In early 2007, aged 12, Bieber sang Ne-Yos So Sick for a singing competition in Stratford and was placed second. Mallette posted a video of the performance on YouTube for their family and she continued to upload videos of Bieber singing covers of various R&B songs, and Biebers popularity on the site grewJustin Bieber – Bieber at the 2012 NRJ Music Awards
5. Mikey Bustos – Mikey Bustos is a Filipino Canadian singer and comedian who has appeared on the reality television show Canadian Idol. He is also the owner of AntsCanada, a shop that specialises in ant-keeping. Bustos was born to Filipino parents in the Weston neighbourhood of Toronto, before Canadian Idol, he worked as a temp at the Bank of Montreal. He attended St. Michaels College School in Toronto, from his very first audition where he floored the four judges, he established the largest fan base early in the competition, and made headlines all over the country. Bustos recorded with BMG Music Canada and ViK, after competing on Canadian Idol, Bustos began performing throughout Canada and the US at many events and showcases at top venues. In 2005, Bustos released his extended play entitled Love Me Again on May 7. It was produced by Brent Bodrug of B-Group Music, who previously had worked with Alanis Morissette, Jack Soul and it is available at all HMV locations across Canada. In 2006, Bustos continued touring in the U. S. performing in New York, Chicago, Los Angeles, San Diego and he also began to perform in other countries, traveling to the Philippines, where he was front act for the Pussycat Dolls. Mikeys radio performances and mall performance at Eastwood City in Manila were also highlights, in 2007, Bustos was featured in a commercial for MTV Canada & was the front act for Christina Aguilera in the Philippines on July 6. He released a video the next year for his single If It Feels Good Then We Should from his debut solo album Memoirs of a Superhero. The album was released on December 23,2008, and its art was designed by Orange Pop Media. In 2009, Bustos single If It Feels Good Then We Should reached Top 20 for multiple weeks on Canadian mainstream radio and his single All I Need Is Me was also played at Footlocker Stores nationwide. Under Bustos Entertainment Inc, he signed with Universal Music/North Fontana Distribution in May 2009, in 2010, Bustos was nominated for a Toronto Independent Music Award for Best Adult Contemporary category. His song Everytime My Heart Beats from his debut album Memoirs of a Superhero since its release has become a YouTube phenomenon, Mikey was also involved in musical theater projects including a star role in the Summerworks production of Prison Dancer, The Musical. Bustos continues to tour the world performing and making guest appearances on TV, radio, in January 2014, Bustos joined the cast of the morning radio show Good Times with Mo on Magic 89.9 in the Philippines. Bustos is also the owner of AntsCanada, an ant store based in Toronto that sells ant-keeping supplies made by Bustos in Manila, Bustos is known for his videos uploaded on video website YouTube. He made international headlines in March 2014 for his cover of Aviciis Wake Me Up in which he performed an a cappella number with ten parts. He also made a parody of Born This Way by Lady Gaga entitled Pinoy This Way and has many more based on various trending pop songs and he has appeared on television news several times, TV Patrol and Bandila on ABS-CBN, and 24 Oras and Saksi on GMAMikey Bustos – Mikey Bustos
6. Erik Mongrain – Erik Mongrain is a Canadian composer and guitarist. He has a unique and dark style, with a wide array of different techniques, approaches and textures reminiscent of Michael Hedges. Erik Mongrain taught himself guitar from the age of 14, as a boy, he was mostly interested in sports but picked up an interest in the guitar and began to teach himself to play by ear. Erik started out playing the guitar, but developed an interest in classical. He taught himself to music and began composing. Erik Mongrain was inspired early on by the work of Metallica, Jimi Hendrix, when he was 18, he heard the work of guitarist Don Ross and he thought, This was a new revelation to me. After that, Erik was heavily influenced by the work of Michael Hedges, Erik also began to experiment with a technique known as lap tapping, in which the player lies the guitar across their lap, and taps the strings on the fret board with both hands. Erik Mongrain plays live shows in the United States, Japan, Germany, Canada and he started out busking in the streets, before he was discovered in Spain, Eriks music is featured in a documentary produced by Lance Trumbull for the Everest Peace Project. He was featured on the cover of Guild Guitar Company Magazine, Erik was featured in Le Journal de Montréal and many other acoustic guitar magazines. Erik released his first full-length album, Fates, in December 2006 on his website as a series of individually buyable/downloadable songs, the physical CD was released in June 2007. In 2007, Mongrain went on a tour around the world, particularly in Europe, Asia and he performed also at the famous Montreal International Jazz Festival and at the Studio-théâtre of the Place des Arts of Montreal where the live performance was recorded. Mongrain was invited for the premiere of the « World Music Heritage », the broadcast started last May 2007 and the footage used for the broadcast is filmed in Montreals streets and in Saint Josephs Oratory, reputed for its acoustics. The iVideoSongs company have filmed four clips including Equilibrium, a recent composition, the clips are tutorials of Mongrains lap tapping style, downloadable on the companys Web site. Video has been viewed over 6 million times on YouTube, on Friday 6 November 2009, Erik appeared on Later. With Jools Holland in the UK on BBC2, on October 21,2008, Erik Mongrain launched his second album Equilibrium which contained 9 new compositions. The title track from the album is an ode to the balance between humans and the planet, the album was recorded on July 2008 in The Dragon Crossing studios, the personal recording place of Paul Reed Smith, located in Annapolis, Maryland, United States. On this new album, Mongrain plays with such as Michael Manring on fretless bass. The album was launched live on Mongrains official website on 21 October 2008, the event called Equilibrium Experience will broadcast an exclusive live concert from Montreal and interviews with the artist directly from his living roomErik Mongrain – Erik Mongrain
7. Harley Morenstein – Harland Harley Morenstein is a Canadian actor, Internet personality and vlogger. He co-created, produces, and hosts the YouTube show Epic Meal Time and he also runs a successful vlog channel. He is one of the three remaining members of the show along with Ameer Atari and Adam Lemco. Morenstein was born to English speaking Jewish-Canadian parents in Montreal, Quebec and he was a substitute teacher for a number of years at Lakeside Academy in Lachine, teaching history. In 2010 he co-created Epic Meal Time with Sterling Toth and he produces the show with his brother, Darren Morenstein, under company name Nexttime Productions. As of 2014, he stars in the TV adaptation of the show called Epic Meal Empire on FYI, which has since been picked up for a second season. In 2015, in the wake of the departures of Dave Heuff and Josh Elkin, he overhauled the show, adding footage of the other members cooking and eating the food. Morenstein became famous on Vine in 2013 with his Vine on beard shaving and he has amassed nearly 300,000 subscribers on his vlog channel. Morenstein featured in one of Destorms songs called Epic wRap, which was uploaded on YouTube December 18,2011. He has also featured in fellow YouTube celebrity Freddie Wongs video web series Video Game High School. After appearing in an episode of the show, and an episode of the TV show, Kevin Smith offered Morenstein a cameo role in Tusk and he starred in Smiths portion of the anthology movie Holidays. He will be in one of the roles in Smiths denouement to the Canadian Horror Trilogy. Morenstein was cast in the 2015 zombie film Dead Rising, Watchtower and he had a guest role on an episode of Nickelodeons Game Shakers, in his first television role. Morenstein also made a cameo at the end of Rhett and Links Rub Some Bacon On It music video in 2012 Official website Harley Morenstein at the Internet Movie DatabaseHarley Morenstein – Morenstein speaking at the 2014 VidCon
8. Matthew Santoro – Matthew Santoro is a Canadian YouTube personality. He posts on his channel, Matthew Santoro, top ten lists and 50 Amazing Facts videos. He also has a channel which is primarily used for vlogging. Santoro used to have a channel called Santoro Gaming. As of January 4,2017, his channel has over 5.7 million subscribers and 828.78 million video views. Santoro most frequently uploads top ten lists, such as 10 FORBIDDEN Places You’re Not Allowed to Visit. and 10 Extremely BIZARRE Phobias People Actually Have, on January 4,2016, Santoro began uploading videos to his third channel Santoro Gaming. This channel had over 320 thousand subscribers and about 5 million views, on May 1,2016, YouTuber GradeAUnderA uploaded a video accusing Santoro of plagiarising his content from website Listverse. He demonstrated this by comparing an article on Listverse entitled 10 Weirdly Famous People to one of Santoros videos, as a result of these accusations, Santoro lost about 8000 YouTube subscribers. Santoro was born and raised in Welland, Ontario and later moved to St. Catharines, in May 2015, he moved to Toronto, Canada. A fan of Drake and hip-hop culture, Santoro often refers to Toronto as the six, in January 2016, he uploaded a video titled My Abuse Story. Santoro claims that the video was intended to be private, and it was claimed by his friend, Rob Dyke, that the unnamed partner mentioned in the video was Nicole Arbour. He made a reference of his arachnophobia in videos containing facts about spiders, Santoro moved to Los Angeles in the first week of January,2017 and possesses a U. S. green card but maintains Canadian citizenship. After Santoro graduated from Brock University with a Master of Accountancy in 2010 and he also started making videos on YouTube that year, mostly skits. In 2012 he got laid off from his accounting job and he described that experience in a vlog titled I Lost My Job Today. He then started focusing on his YouTube career and thus began posting videos weekly. Also during this time, he recalls in an interview, that he noticed that his educational videos and that made him begin uploading those types of videos more frequently. He believes that his more frequent of uploading of these videos helped increased his viewership from only a few thousand per video in the past, to the millions he currently has. He is able to make an out of YouTube through the money he earns from ad revenueMatthew Santoro – Santoro in 2015
9. Lilly Singh – Lilly Singh is a Canadian YouTube personality, vlogger, comedian, writer and actress. She is better known by her YouTube username IISuperwomanII, since beginning her channel in October 2010, her videos have received over 1.7 billion views, and her channel has accumulated over 11 million subscribers. In 2016, she was ranked 3rd on the Forbes list of the worlds highest paid YouTube stars, Singh has featured in the annual YouTube Rewind every year since 2014. She has received an MTV Fandom Award, three Streamy Awards, two Teen Choice Awards and a Peoples Choice Award to date in her career. In 2016, Singh released a red lipstick, in conjunction with Smashbox, called BAWSE, Lilly reached 11 million YouTube subscribers in January 2017, and her channel is currently in the top 100 most subscribed on YouTube. In March 2017, she released her first book, How to be a Bawse. Singh was born and raised in Scarborough, Toronto and her parents, Malwinder and Sukhwinder Singh, are originally from Punjab, India, and she was raised as Sikh. She has a sister named Tina. As a child, Singh has said she was a tomboy and she attended Mary Shadd Public School during her elementary years and in 2006, she graduated from Lester B. Pearson Collegiate Institute. In 2010, she graduated from York University with a Bachelor of Arts degree in psychology, Singh developed a strong connection with her Punjabi heritage during visits to India. She struggled with depression, and began making YouTube videos as a way of dealing with her feelings. As a young adult, she lived with her parents in Markham, Ontario and in 2015, she moved to Los Angeles, in October 2010, Singh started a YouTube channel under the pseudonym IISuperwomanII. She has explained that the name Superwoman was prompted by an idea that she had an invisible S on her chest. Punjabi culture is portrayed in her videos, which also contain satirical takes on everyday life. Singh also includes an Ask Superwoman Live segment on her channel on the 14th day of every month. During this 1 hour+ live segment, she has her fans ask her questions through social media platforms, in July 2016, Singh announced the YouTube channel of Dwayne Johnson, her childhood idol, and collaborated with him for a video. During the same month, she launched a series titled #GirlLove, in which Singh interviews celebrities. On 25 September 2016, Lilly received her diamond playbutton although she didnt hit the 10 million subscribers milestone at that time, one month later, on 25 October 2016, she reached the 10 million subscribers milestoneLilly Singh – Singh at the 2015 VidCon
10. Maggie Szabo – Maggie Szabo is a Canadian soul and pop singer and songwriter. She has garnered over 13 million views on YouTube, and her single was premiered by Ryan Seacrest and her collaboration as an artist and songwriter with German DJ Schiller on his album debuted at the first rank in Germany. Her single was premiered by Yahoo, Maggie was born in Hamilton, Ontario and grew up in Dundas, Ontario. After high school, she moved to Nashville, Tennessee to pursue her music career, after releasing her debut album, Maggies music videos started garnering attention with her original songs attracting millions of views on YouTube. In November 2012, she released her pop album “Now Hear Me Out”. All original songs on her album were co-written by Maggie with production by Justin Gray, Gavin Bradley and Tanya Leah. After releasing her first single named “Lovesick”, Maggie was named as Bell Media’s Emerging Artist and was chosen by the blogger Perez Hilton as his “Can YOU Sing. ”Contest winner beating out thousands of competitor singers. After achieving success with her first album, Maggie moved to Los Angeles to pursue her career. Since spending time in Los Angeles, Maggie has gained exposure by playing the new music to sold-out crowds at the infamous Viper Room, House of Blues. Maggies music was premiered by Yahoo, licensed in Criminal Minds and Keeping Up with the Kardashians among others, and shared by Jay Zs platform Tidal. Maggie has received recognition as a songwriter and artist after winning the International Songwriting Competition in the pop division for her song Tidal Waves and Hurricanes. In 2014, Maggie was nominated Best Pop for the Toronto Independent Music Awards and she was also voted as the Top 5 most voted for US artists by the BalconyTV. Maggie also won the International Songwriting Competition for her song Tidal Waves and Hurricanes, list of YouTube personalities Official website Maggie Szabos channel on YouTube Maggie Szabo on FacebookMaggie Szabo – Maggie Szabo performing in 2014
11. VanossGaming – Evan Fong, better known by his online alias VanossGaming or simply Vanoss, is a Canadian video game commentator. He produces content on YouTube centered on playing popular games with other YouTube collaborators. As of March 2017, Fongs channel has over 6 billion video views and 20 million subscribers on YouTube, the majority of VanossGaming videos take the format of a funny moments montage or compilation, featuring various clips from a particular game session, usually featuring other video game commentators. Fong created the VanossGaming channel on YouTube on September 15,2011, Fong has been known to do work with other popular YouTubers such as H2O Delirious, Adam SeaNanners Montoya and Tom Syndicate Cassell. Fong first appeared on camera in July 2013, in a video celebrating one million subscribers, on April 30,2015, Fong announced on Twitter that he had signed with Jetpak, a multi-channel network founded by Adam SeaNanners Montoya and Tom Syndicate Cassell. On November 26,2015, Fong announced that he was releasing a new logo for the VanossGaming brand and he released the logo later that day along with limited edition merchandise released the day after. The logo was a minimalistic design of an owl on a black background. There is also a cut through the design, creating a black letter V. The owl design represented the owl mask on Fongs character model in Grand Theft Auto Online and it was released via Steam as an early release on July 30,2015. Born and raised in Toronto, Canada, Fong is of Asian descent, his mother being Korean, outside of his YouTube career, Fong continues to play ice hockey recreationally, and also plays the guitar as another hobby. VanossGamings channel on YouTube VanossGaming on Facebook VanossGaming on Instagram VanossGaming on TwitterVanossGaming – The VanossGaming logo.