(Everything I Do) I Do It for You
|"(Everything I Do) I Do It for You"|
|Single by Bryan Adams|
|from the album Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves (Original Motion Picture Soundtrack) and Waking Up the Neighbours|
|B-side||"She's Only Happy When She's Dancing" (Live in Belgium 1989)|
|Released||June 18, 1991|
|Producer(s)||Robert "Mutt" Lange|
|Bryan Adams singles chronology|
"(Everything I Do) I Do It for You" is a song by Canadian singer-songwriter Bryan Adams. Written by Adams, Michael Kamen and Robert John "Mutt" Lange, featured on two albums simultaneously on its release, the soundtrack album from the 1991 film Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves and on Adams' sixth album Waking Up the Neighbours (1991). The song was an enormous chart success internationally reaching the number one position on the music charts of at least sixteen countries. It was particularly successful in the United Kingdom, where it spent sixteen consecutive weeks at number one on the UK Singles Chart (the longest run of its kind in British chart history). It went on to sell more than 15 million copies worldwide, making it Adams' most successful song and one of the best-selling singles of all time. Subsequently, the song has been covered by hundreds of singers and artists around the world.
The musicians on the original recording are Adams on lead vocals and backing vocals, rhythm guitar, Bill Payne (piano), Mickey Curry (drums), Larry Klein (bass), Keith Scott (lead guitar and backing vocals) and Mutt Lange (synthesizers). Based on orchestral music by Kamen, the song was written in London, UK at the studio Adams was working at in 1990, and he and Lange wrote it in 45 minutes, recording it the following March and releasing it three months later. The song is performed in the key of D ♭ major.
Charts and certifications
In the United Kingdom, "(Everything I Do) I Do It for You" has the longest unbroken run at number one, spending sixteen consecutive weeks at the top of the UK Singles Chart from July to October 1991.
It also spent seven weeks at number one on the Billboard Hot 100 in the United States and nine weeks atop the Canadian Singles Chart in Adams's native Canada. Billboard ranked it as the No. 1 song for 1991.
Adams, Kamen and Lange won a Grammy Award for Best Song Written Specifically for a Motion Picture or Television, and was nominated for the Grammy Award for Record of the Year at the Grammy Awards of 1992. It was also nominated for an Academy Award for Best Song but lost to "Beauty and the Beast".
Sales and certifications
Fatima Mansions version
The Irish band Fatima Mansions released a heavily altered cover of the song as part of an NME tribute album in aid of the charity, the Spastics Society. The single was a double A-side with the Manic Street Preachers' version of "Suicide Is Painless". The single entered the UK top ten in 1992, and reached number 12 in the Republic of Ireland. However, The Manic Street Preachers song received most of the UK radio airplay.
|"(Everything I Do) I Do It for You"|
|Single by Brandy|
|from the album Never Say Never|
|Released||September 28, 1999|
|Brandy singles chronology|
American singer Brandy rerecorded "(Everything I Do) I Do It for You" for the standard version of her second studio album Never Say Never (1998). Producer David Foster reworked the arrangement of the original song, with Dean Parks playing the acoustic guitar.
In 1999, her cover version was released as the album's final single on a double A-side with "U Don't Know Me" on the Oceanic music market, where it reached the top 30 of New Zealand's RIANZ singles chart.
- Australian CD single
- "(Everything I Do) I Do It for You" – 4:10
- "U Don't Know Me" – 4:29
- "Have You Ever?" (Soul Skank Remix) – 5:40
Credits and personnel
Credits are taken from Never Say Never liner notes.
- Composer – Bryan Adams, Michael Kamen, R.J. Lange
- Production – David Foster
- Acoustic guitar – Dean Parks
- Electric guitar – Michael Thompson
- Programming – Felipe Elgueta
- Mixing – Tom Bender
- Recording – Al Schmitt
|New Zealand (Recorded Music NZ)||28|
- "The Billboard Hot 100 All-Time Top Songs (20-11)". Archived from the original on September 13, 2008. Retrieved January 2, 2010.. Billboard.
- Pareles, Jon (March 8, 1994). "Review/Pop; Bryan Adams, More Mr. Nice Guy". The New York Times. Retrieved February 20, 2014.
- Wilde, John (September 12, 2015). "Bryan Adams: Everything I Do was at No 1 for four months... but I wrote it in 45 minutes". Daily Mail. MailOnline. Retrieved July 25, 2016.
- "Bryan Adams Songwriting Interview - Writing His Classic Hits". Songwriter Universe.
- Garcia, Alex S. "mvdbase.com - Bryan Adams - "(Everything I do) I do it for you [version 1: concept]"". Music Video DataBase. Retrieved November 2, 2015.
- Garcia, Alex S. "mvdbase.com - Bryan Adams - "(Everything I do) I do it for you [version 2: live]"". Music Video DataBase. Retrieved November 2, 2015.
- "(Everything I do) I do it for you in Official Charts". Retrieved March 19, 2017.
- "RPM, Volume 54, August 31, 1991". collectionscanada.gc.ca. Archived from the original on January 23, 2009. Retrieved January 1, 2009.
- Billboard Year-End Hot 100 singles of 1991
- "1992 Grammy Awards". metrolyrics.com. Archived from the original on February 9, 2009. Retrieved January 1, 2009.
- "The 64th Academy Awards (1991) Nominees and Winners". oscarguy.com. Archived from the original on January 24, 2009. Retrieved January 1, 2009.
- "Australian-charts.com – Bryan Adams – (Everything I Do) I Do It for You". ARIA Top 50 Singles.
- "Austriancharts.at – Bryan Adams – (Everything I Do) I Do It for You" (in German). Ö3 Austria Top 40.
- "Ultratop.be – Bryan Adams – (Everything I Do) I Do It for You" (in Dutch). Ultratop 50.
- "(Everything I do) I do it for you in Canadian Adult Contemporary Chart". Library and Archives Canada. Archived from the original on November 29, 2014. Retrieved June 3, 2013.
- "(Everything I do) I do it for you in Canadian Top Singles Chart". Library and Archives Canada. Archived from the original on January 20, 2015. Retrieved June 3, 2013.
- Nyman, Jake (2005). Suomi soi 4: Suuri suomalainen listakirja (in Finnish) (1st ed.). Helsinki: Tammi. ISBN 951-31-2503-3.
- "Lescharts.com – Bryan Adams – (Everything I Do) I Do It for You" (in French). Les classement single.
- "Offiziellecharts.de – Bryan Adams – (Everything I Do) I Do It for You". GfK Entertainment Charts.
- Irish Single Chart Irishcharts.ie (Retrieved April 10, 2008)
- "Hit Parade Italia - Indice per Interprete: A". Hit Parade Italia. Archived from the original on March 25, 2015. Retrieved July 6, 2012.
- "Nederlandse Top 40 – Bryan Adams" (in Dutch). Dutch Top 40.
- "Dutchcharts.nl – Bryan Adams – (Everything I Do) I Do It for You" (in Dutch). Single Top 100.
- "Charts.nz – Bryan Adams – (Everything I Do) I Do It for You". Top 40 Singles.
- "Norwegiancharts.com – Bryan Adams – (Everything I Do) I Do It for You". VG-lista.
- Salaverri, Fernando (September 2005). Sólo éxitos: año a año, 1959–2002 (1st ed.). Spain: Fundación Autor-SGAE. ISBN 84-8048-639-2.
- "Swedishcharts.com – Bryan Adams – (Everything I Do) I Do It for You". Singles Top 100.
- "Swisscharts.com – Bryan Adams – (Everything I Do) I Do It for You". Swiss Singles Chart.
- "Official Singles Chart Top 100". Official Charts Company.
- Billboard Billboard.com (Retrieved April 10, 2008)
- 1991 Australian Singles Chart aria.com (Retrieved February 10, 2016)
- "RPM 100 Hit Tracks of 1991". RPM. Retrieved November 23, 2017.
- "Top Selling Singles of 1991". Retrieved April 26, 2016.
- "Billboard Top 100 – 1991". Archived from the original on July 7, 2009. Retrieved September 15, 2009.
- Geoff Mayfield (December 25, 1999). 1999 The Year in Music Totally '90s: Diary of a Decade – The listing of Top Pop Albums of the '90s & Hot 100 Singles of the '90s. Billboard. Retrieved October 15, 2010.
- "Accreditation Awards". Australian Fun Countdowns. April 7, 2011. Retrieved June 5, 2012.
- "Austrian single certifications – Bryan Adams – Everything I Do ..." (in German). IFPI Austria. Enter Bryan Adams in the field Interpret. Enter Everything I Do ... in the field Titel. Select single in the field Format. Click Suchen.
- "Canadian single certifications – Bryan Adams – (Everything I Do) I Do It For You". Music Canada.
- "French single certifications – Bryan Adams – (Everything I Do) I Do It For You" (in French). InfoDisc. Select BRYAN ADAMS and click OK.
- "Les Singles en Or :". Infodisc.fr (in French). Archived from the original on September 24, 2015. Retrieved June 5, 2012.
- "Gold-/Platin-Datenbank (Bryan Adams; '(Everything I Do) I Do It For You')" (in German). Bundesverband Musikindustrie.
- "Guld- och Platinacertifikat − År 1987−1998" (PDF) (in Swedish). IFPI Sweden.
- "British single certifications – Bryan Adams – (Everything I Do) I Do It For You". British Phonographic Industry. Select singles in the Format field. Select Platinum in the Certification field. Type (Everything I Do) I Do It For You in the "Search BPI Awards" field and then press Enter.
- Myers, Justin (February 12, 2018). "These are the UK's 20 biggest selling love ballads of all time". Official Charts Company. Retrieved February 12, 2018.
- "American single certifications – Adams, Bryan – (Everything I Do) I Do It For You". Recording Industry Association of America. If necessary, click Advanced, then click Format, then select Single, then click SEARCH.
- Sandiford-Waller, Theda (November 9, 1996). "Hot 100 Singles Spotlight". Billboard. BPI Communications Inc. 108 (45): 83. ISSN 0006-2510. Retrieved February 26, 2015.
- Roberts, David (2006). British Hit Singles & Albums (19th ed.). London: Guinness World Records Limited. p. 196. ISBN 1-904994-10-5.
- "The Irish Charts". irishcharts.ie. Retrieved 8 September 2014. Search by Artist: Fatima Mansions
- Nick Dale, "Fatima Mansions" in Peter Buckley (ed.) The Rough Guide To Rock.London; Rough Guides, 2003 ISBN 1843531054 (p. 364).
- "Brandy (2)– (Everything I Do) I Do It For You (Australian CD Single)". Discogs. Retrieved February 9, 2013.
- Never Say Never (Media notes). Atlantic Records. 1998.
- "Charts.nz – Brandy – (Everything I Do) I Do It For You". Top 40 Singles. Retrieved 23 May 2011.