|Introduced||November 18, 2014
|TLD type||Generic top-level domain
.top is a gTLD (generic top level domain), officially delegated in ICANN's New gTLD Program on August 4, 2014. The extension is managed and operated by the .top registry, and can be registered by anyone since November 18, 2014.
- June 20, 2011, ICANN officially announced that the application for new gTLDs was to open in 2012.
- April 11, 2012, the application was submitted online. On June 9, 2012, it appeared on the ICANN public list.
- March 20, 2013, it passed initial evaluation.
- March 20, 2014, the registry signed a contract with ICANN.
- August 5, 2014, the domain entered the root zone of ICANN new gTLD.
- October 15, 2014, it entered its sunrise period.
- November 18, 2014, .top domains could be registered openly. Registration volume exceeded 10,000 on the first day.
- April 24, 2015, .top was put on record with Chinese national government department MIIT (Ministry of Industry and Information Technology).
- September 2015, .top domains obtained 250,000 new registrations within one week, making its registration volume surge to 530,000.
- December 2015, .top registration reached around 1,000,000.
- January 2016, .top will release its IDN domains, supporting Arabic, Chinese (traditional + simplified), French, German, Japanese, Russian and Spanish - the availability can be checked by .top whois.
- December 2016, .top registration broke 4,500,000.
- June 2017, .top registrations had gone down to about 3,000,000.
- October 2017, .top registrations had gone down to about 1,900,000.
- January 2018 .top registrations had gone down to about 1,300,000.
- March 2018, .top registrations had gone up to about 2,100,000.
- Why is .top domain one of the only FOUR new gTLDs approved to be built website with in China? - 新闻中心
- ".TOP - New gTLD - Top Level Domain Statistics". NameStat. Retrieved 2018-04-29.