11 Short Stories of Pain & Glory
|11 Short Stories of Pain & Glory|
|Studio album by|
|Released||January 6, 2017|
El Paso, TX
|Label||Born & Bred|
|Dropkick Murphys chronology|
|Deluxe Edition cover|
11 Short Stories of Pain & Glory: Deluxe Edition
|Singles from 11 Short Stories of Pain & Glory|
11 Short Stories of Pain & Glory is the ninth studio album by American band Dropkick Murphys and was released on January 6, 2017, on the band's Born & Bred Records label. It was the band's first studio album in four years since 2013's Signed and Sealed in Blood. The album made its debut at number 8 on the Billboard Hot 200 album charts giving the band their second highest debuting album of their career behind 2011's Going Out in Style which made its debut at number 6.
The album is also the first since 2003's Blackout to not feature bagpipe player Scruffy Wallace who left the band in 2015. While not an official member, Lee Forshner plays bagpipes on the album and also serves as the band's touring bagpipe player.
"To me, the whole journey starts with the fact we actually agreed to go – and then went – to Texas. Because we've never left home to make a record. As everyone's lives have become crazier and busier with kids and families, it's gotten harder to buckle down at home. We decided to leave Boston, go down to literally the middle of nowhere and lock ourselves in a room" Ken Casey said.
11 Short Stories of Pain & Glory was officially announced as the album's title on November 3, 2016, and a video for the song "Blood" was released on the same day. "You'll Never Walk Alone" and "Paying My Way", which also had a music video, followed as singles. All three songs were given away as digital downloads to people who pre-ordered the album.
The album was influenced the band's work with The Claddagh Fund, a charity the band established in 2009 to help support addiction recovery as well as children's and veterans' organizations. "Rebels with a Cause" was written about kids who are given up on, and left behind by a system that has written them off as hopeless. "Paying My Way" is about the way up and out of addiction and the dream of bigger and better things in life. "4-15-13" pays homage to the victims of the Boston Marathon Bombing, most of whom the band grew to know personally after visits to their hospital rooms in the aftermath. "Since that day, we felt like not taking the challenge to write a song about what we all went through would be taking the coward’s way out. We put more importance on writing that piece of music than anything we’ve ever done, because if you're going to touch that day, it has to be done right. We went through so many emotions with that whole experience, as did everyone in Boston. It changed the city forever," Casey said. Tim Brennan said of the album "we've stayed true to what the band is and has always been. And we're still expanding on our sound and lyrical content."
In a December 2, 2016 video, Ken Casey discussed the reasons behind the band covering "You'll Never Walk Alone". "As you may know, opiate overdoses are an epidemic in America now particularly in (the Boston) area. I've been to thirty wakes in two years, three this week, one being my cousin, Al's lost a brother in law. It's hit home close to us. I was leaving one of the wakes and this song came on and as I was listening to the lyrics it summed up exactly how I was feeling. Sad, but knowing there is hope. You never have to be alone. I hope you like our version" Casey said.
|1.||"The Lonesome Boatman"||2:42|
|2.||"Rebels with a Cause"||3:00|
|5.||"First Class Loser"||2:55|
|6.||"Paying My Way"||3:54|
|7.||"I Had a Hat"||3:02|
|8.||"Kicked to the Curb"||3:26|
|9.||"You'll Never Walk Alone" (Rodgers and Hammerstein)||3:22|
|11.||"Until the Next Time"||3:47|
|Deluxe edition bonus disc|
- The deluxe edition of the album is limited to 5,000 copies and includes a 26-page book featuring the band's hand-written lyrics, behind the scenes photos, guitar tabs, bagpipe notation and a 2-song picture disc featuring “Blood” and an exclusive acoustic version of “Sandlot". The album is also available on Kelly Green vinyl which is limited to 1,000 copies. A limited edition yellow & blue splatter version of the album on vinyl was also released as an exclusive to Newbury Comics.
- Al Barr – lead vocals
- Tim Brennan – guitars, accordion, Mellotron, tin whistle, vocals
- Ken Casey – lead vocals, bass guitar
- Jeff DaRosa – banjo, bouzouki, mandolin, harmonica, acoustic guitars, vocals
- Matt Kelly – drums, percussion, vocals
- James Lynch – guitars, vocals
|Australian Albums (ARIA)||15|
|Austrian Albums (Ö3 Austria)||4|
|Belgian Albums (Ultratop Flanders)||22|
|Belgian Albums (Ultratop Wallonia)||59|
|Canadian Albums (Billboard)||21|
|Dutch Albums (MegaCharts)||36|
|French Albums (SNEP)||71|
|German Albums (Offizielle Top 100)||3|
|New Zealand Heatseekers Albums (RMNZ)||3|
|Scottish Albums (OCC)||36|
|Swiss Albums (Schweizer Hitparade)||6|
|UK Albums (OCC)||68|
|US Billboard 200||8|
- "11 Short Stories Of Pain & Glory by Dropkick Murphys".
- "11 Short Stories of Pain & Glory - Dropkick Murphys - Songs, Reviews, Credits - AllMusic". AllMusic.
- "The Dropkicks' '11 Short Stories' a potent album".
- "Dropkick Murphys: 11 Short Stories of Pain and Glory".
- "11 Short Stories of Pain & Glory by Dropkick Murphys on Apple Music". Itunes.apple.com. Retrieved 2016-11-05.
- Lambert, Lane. "For Dropkick Murphys, Kennedy award is 'an extreme honor'". The Hingham Journal. Retrieved 2016-10-25.
- "Dropkick Murphys announce 11 Short Stories Of Pain & Glory". TeamRock.com. Retrieved 2016-11-05.
- "DROPKICK MURPHYS Announce New Album and Brixton Academy Show". PlanetMosh.com. 2015-05-03. Retrieved 2016-11-05.
- "11 Short Stories Of Pain And Glory Deluxe LP (Green) & Album T-Shirt (Blue) Bundle - The Official Dropkick Murphys Webstore". Kingsroadmerch.com. Retrieved 2016-11-05.
- "The Dropkick Murphys 11 Short Stories Of Pain & Glory Exclusive LP | Newbury Comics". Newbury Comics. Retrieved 2017-01-07.
- "Australiancharts.com – Dropkick Murphys – 11 Short Stories of Pain & Glory". Hung Medien. Retrieved January 14, 2017.
- "Austriancharts.at – Dropkick Murphys – 11 Short Stories of Pain & Glory" (in German). Hung Medien. Retrieved January 19, 2017.
- "Ultratop.be – Dropkick Murphys – 11 Short Stories of Pain & Glory" (in Dutch). Hung Medien. Retrieved January 14, 2017.
- "Ultratop.be – Dropkick Murphys – 11 Short Stories of Pain & Glory" (in French). Hung Medien. Retrieved January 14, 2017.
- "On the Charts This Week". FYIMusicNews. Retrieved January 18, 2017.
- "Dutchcharts.nl – Dropkick Murphys – 11 Short Stories of Pain & Glory" (in Dutch). Hung Medien. Retrieved January 14, 2017.
- "Le Top de la semaine : Top Albums Fusionnes - SNEP (Week 2, 2017)" (in French). Syndicat National de l'Édition Phonographique. Retrieved January 18, 2017.
- "Offiziellecharts.de – Dropkick Murphys – 11 Short Stories of Pain & Glory" (in German). GfK Entertainment Charts. Retrieved January 13, 2017.
- "NZ Heatseekers Albums Chart". Recorded Music NZ. January 16, 2017. Retrieved January 13, 2017.
- "Official Scottish Albums Chart Top 100". Official Charts Company. Retrieved January 14, 2017.
- "Swisscharts.com – Dropkick Murphys – 11 Short Stories of Pain & Glory". Hung Medien. Retrieved January 18, 2017.
- "Dropkick Murphys | Artist | Official Charts". UK Albums Chart. Retrieved January 14, 2017.
- "'La La Land' Soundtrack Dances to No. 2 on Billboard 200 Chart, The Weeknd Spends Third Week at No. 1". Billboard. Retrieved January 16, 2017.