1513 in science
Jump to navigation Jump to search
Exploration and cartography
- March 27 – Juan Ponce de León becomes the first European definitely known to sight the modern-day territory of the United States, specifically Florida, mistaking it for another island. His expedition lands on April 2.
- May – Portuguese explorer Jorge Álvares lands on Lintin Island in the Pearl River estuary.
- September 26 – Vasco Núñez de Balboa, "silent upon a peak in Darién", first sees what will become known as the Pacific Ocean.
- Portuguese land on Ambon Island.
- Piri Reis map compiled.
- Publication in Oppenheim of Johannes Stöffler's treatise on the construction and use of astrolabes, Elucidatio fabricae ususque astrolabii.
Physiology and medicine
- Eucharius Rösslin publishes Der Rosengarten, an obstetrics manual primarily for midwives written in German which will be widely translated and circulated in Europe.
- Ibn Ghazi al-Miknasi, Moroccan scholar and mathematician (born 1437)
- Hua Sui, Chinese pioneer of metal movable type printing (born 1439)