1550 in literature
|List of years in literature (Table)|
|Related time period or subjects|
This article presents lists of the literary events and publications in 1550.
- July 17 – Grant to Humphrey Powell from King Edward VI of England to start printing in Ireland.
- Robert Estienne sets up a printing press in Geneva.
- Approximate date – First publication in book form of the Chinese shenmo fantasy novel Fengshen Yanyi.
- Leandro Alberti – Istoria di Bologna
- Martin Bucer – De regno Christi
- Thomas Cranmer – Defence of the True and Catholic Doctrine of the Sacrament of the Body and Blood of Christ
- Doddayya – Chandraprabha Purana
- Ramamatya – Svaramelakalanidhi (treatise on music)
- Richard Sherry – A Treatise of Schemes and Tropes
- Primož Trubar
- The Facetious Nights of Straparola (first European storybook to contain fairy tales)
- Giorgio Vasari – Lives of the Most Excellent Painters, Sculptors, and Architects
- Rosary of the Philosophers
- See 1550 in poetry
- December 22 – Cesare Cremonini, Italian philosopher (died 1631)
- Unknown dates
- Probable year of birth – Philip Henslowe, Elizabethan theatrical entrepreneur and impresario (died 1616)
- February – Marcantonio Flaminio, Latin-language poet (born c.1498)
- December 8 – Gian Giorgio Trissino, Italian poet, dramatist and grammarian (born 1478)
- Unknown date – William Lamb alias Paniter, Scottish writer, cleric and lawyer (born c. 1493)