1568 in art
The year 1568 in art involved some significant events and new works.
- A new, enlarged edition of Giorgio Vasari's Lives of the Most Excellent Painters, Sculptors, and Architects is published, including a new section on Leonardo da Vinci.
Gian Paolo Lomazzo, Self-portrait
- Pieter Bruegel the Elder
- El Greco – The Last Supper
- Gian Paolo Lomazzo – Self-portrait
- January 20 - Ventura Salimbeni, Italian Mannerist painter and printmaker (died 1613)
- March 16 - Juan Martínez Montañés, also known as el Dios de la Madera, Spanish sculptor (died 1649)
- May 9 - Guglielmo Caccia called il Moncalvo, Italian painter who specialised in altar-pieces (died 1625)
- date unknown
- Alessandro Albini, Italian painter of the early Baroque period (died 1646)
- Jan Brueghel the Elder, Flemish painter (died 1625)
- Giovanni Battista Calandra, Italian mosaic artist (died c.1644)
- Vincenzo Carducci, Italian painter (died 1638)
- Andrés de la Concha, Spanish painter (died unknown)
- Adam van Vianen, Dutch Golden Age medallist, engraver and silversmith (died 1627)
- June 5 - Willem Key, Flemish painter (born 1515)
- date unknown
- Pierre Bontemps, French sculptor (born 1505)
- Battista del Moro, Italian painter of the Renaissance period active in his native Verona (born 1512)
- Lodovico Dolce, Italian art theorist (born 1508/1510)
- Lucas Gassel, Flemish painter (born 1490)
- Vincenzo Pagani, Italian painter (born 1490)
- Luis de Vargas, Spanish painter (born 1502)
- Wang Guxiang, Chinese landscape painter during the Ming Dynasty (born 1501)
- 1568/1569 - Jacob Binck, German engraver and painter (born between 1490-1504)
Notes and references
- Scottish Arts Council, Edinburgh Festival Society (1969). Italian 16th century drawings from British private collections : [catalogue of] an exhibition [held at] the Merchants' Hall, 22 Hanover Street, Edinburgh, August 23rd-September 13th, 1969. Edinburgh: Edinburgh Festival Society Ltd. p. 21. OCLC 606129756.
- Turčić, Lawrence (1987). "A Drawing of Fame by the Cavaliere d'Arpino". Metropolitan Museum Journal. 22. The Metropolitan Museum of Art. pp. 93–95. JSTOR 1512836.