1580 in science
Jump to navigation Jump to search
- September 26 – Francis Drake in the Golden Hind sails into Plymouth having completed the second circumnavigation of the world, westabout, begun in 1577.
- January 12 – Jan Baptist van Helmont, Flemish chemist (died 1644)
- December 1 – Nicolas-Claude Fabri de Peiresc, French astronomer (died 1637)
- Peter Crüger, German polymath (died 1639)
- Willebrord Snellius, Dutch mathematician and physicist who devised the basic law of refraction, Snell's law (died 1626)
- May 3 – Thomas Tusser, English chorister and agriculturalist (born c. 1524)
- September 15 – Friedrich Risner, German mathematician (born c. 1533)
- Giovanni Filippo Ingrassia, Sicilian anatomist (born 1510).