1597 in Scotland
List of years in Scotland|
Timeline of Scottish history
1597 in: England • Ireland • Elsewhere
Events from the year 1597 in the Kingdom of Scotland.
Monarch – James VI
- 4 February – Battle of Logiebride, a skirmish between men of the Clan Mackenzie against those of the Clan Munro and the Bain family of Tulloch Castle.
- March–October – The Great Scottish Witch Hunt of 1597.
- 14 July – poet Alexander Montgomerie is declared an outlaw after the collapse of a Catholic plot.
- 23 July – Earthquake in the Highlands.
- Lands of the Clan MacLeod are forfeit to the Crown.
- Scottish Poor Laws make parishes rather than the church responsible for the administration of poor relief.
- King James VI's Daemonologie is published.
- Robert Bethune, Baron of Balfour
- Sir Duncan Campbell of Auchinbreck, soldier (murdered 1645)
- Approximate date –
- 11 March – Henry Drummond, evangelical writer and lecturer
- 27 May – James Tyrie, Jesuit theologian (born 1543)
- Sir Thomas Maclellan of Bombie, Provost of Kirkcudbright
- Mackenzie, Alan, History of the Mackenzies
- ""Dark Birthright" takes place during 1619–1637 in Northeast Scotland". Mini-Timeline of Scottish History. Retrieved 2014-04-11.
- "Notes on individual earthquakes". British Geological Survey. Archived from the original on 2011-05-16. Retrieved 2011-12-08.