1598 in science
Jump to navigation Jump to search
- May – Tycho Brahe's star catalogue Astronomiæ instauratæ mechanica, listing the positions of 1,004 stars, is published.
- Spanish prospectors discover the Ojuela Mine.
- Autumn – After being separated from the main Second Dutch Expedition to Indonesia fleet of Admiral Wybrand Van Warwyck, three ships under Jacob Cornelisz. van Neck land on the island which they name Mauritius and sight the dodo bird (Raphus cucullatus); it will become extinct around 1681.
- October 11 – Joachim Camerarius the Younger, German physician and botanist (born 1534)
- Roch Le Baillif, French physician (born 1540)