1618 in music
Jump to navigation Jump to search
The year 1618 in music involved some significant events.
- Beginning of the Thirty Years' War (1618–1648), which will disrupt German musical establishments, and will affect the nature of the music composed by those who endured the widespread devastation, famine, and disease of this period.
- The formula for making Zildjian cymbals is discovered in Turkey.
- Robert Ballard becomes lutenist and composer at the court of King Louis XIII of France.
- Michael East is choirmaster at Lichfield Cathedral.
- Michael East – The Fourth Set Of Bookes ... to 4. 5. and 6. Parts: Apt for Viols and Voyces
- Johann Hermann Schein – Opella nova (Little new works), volume 1, a collection of sacred concertos
- René Descartes – Compendium Musicae
- Michael Praetorius – De Organographia
- Gregorio Allegri – Concerti, vol. 1
- December 10 – Giulio Caccini, Italian composer (born 1551)
- December 12 – Pedro de Cristo, composer (born c.1550)