1696 in Scotland
List of years in Scotland|
Timeline of Scottish history
1696 in: England • Ireland • Elsewhere
Events from the year 1696 in the Kingdom of Scotland.
- Monarch – William II
- Secretary of State – James Johnston, until January or February; then John Murray, Earl of Tullibardine (from 15 January) jointly with James Ogilvy, 4th Earl of Findlater (from 5 February)
- Lord President of the Court of Session – vacant??
- Lord Justice General – Lord Lothian
- Lord Justice Clerk – Lord Ormiston
- February – the Bank of Scotland opens for business
- 8 September – Education Act passed by parliament to establish schools in every parish in the country.
- Perth Academy founded.
- Famine in the Borders leads to a new wave of Scottish Presbyterian migration from Scotland to Ulster.
- 11 June – James Francis Edward Keith, soldier and Prussian field marshal (died 1758)
- 15 September – Sir Archibald Grant, 2nd Baronet, company speculator and Member of parliament for Aberdeenshire, 1722–1732 (died 1772)
- date unknown –
- William Duff, 1st Earl Fife, peer (died 1763)
- Henry Home, Lord Kames, advocate, judge, philosopher, writer and agricultural improver (died 1782)
- John Lyon, 5th Earl of Strathmore and Kinghorne, peer, died at the Battle of Sheriffmuir in 1715
- Anne O'Brien, 2nd Countess of Orkney, noblewoman, (died 1756)
- 2 August – Robert Campbell of Glenlyon, a commanding officer at the Massacre of Glencoe (born 1630)
- date unknown – Arthur Forbes, 1st Earl of Granard, soldier (born 1623)