1698 in music
Jump to navigation Jump to search
This article does not cite any sources. (June 2015) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
The year 1698 in music involved some significant events.
- Henry Purcell's widow publishes the first volume of Orpheus Britannicus.
- Antonio Stradivari makes the "Cabriac" violin.
Published popular music
- Johann Krieger – Anmuthige Clavier-Übung, a collection of 25 pieces for organ, including ricercars, fugues, preludes, etc.
- Giuseppe Torelli – Concerti musicali a quattro op.6
- Richard Leveridge – The Island Princess
- Luigi Manza – Tito Manlio; Partenope
- January 3 – Metastasio, born Pietro Antonio Domenico Trapassi, poet and opera librettist (died 1782)
- September 8 – François Francoeur, violinist and composer (died 1787)
- date unknown
- probable – Giovanni Battista Sammartini, composer (died 1775)