1701 in music
Jump to navigation Jump to search
This article needs additional citations for verification. (June 2015) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
The year 1701 in music involved some significant musical events and new works.
- Georg Philipp Telemann matriculates in law at the University of Leipzig. In the same year, he meets George Frideric Handel for the first time.
- Founding of the Slovenian Philharmonic Society (orchestra)
- In a competition held in Dorset Gardens, London, for the best musical setting of the masque 'The Judgement of Paris' by William Congreve, John Weldon emerges victorious, with John Eccles second and Daniel Purcell third.
- The semi-opera Acis and Galatea, with music by John Eccles and text by Peter Anthony Motteux, is staged in London.
- Domenico Scarlatti is appointed organist and composer of the vice-regal court in Naples
Published popular music
- Giovanni Henrico Albicastro – XII Suonate a tre, due violini et violoncello col basso per l'organo
- Tomaso Albinoni – 12 Baletti de Camera
- Marin Marais – Domine salvum fac regem (lost)
- Georg Muffat – "Auserlesene Instrumentalmusik" (Selected Instrumental Music)
- Antonio Caldara – La Partenope
- Theobaldo di Gatti – Scylla
- Reinhard Keiser – Störtebecker und Jödge Michaels
- Tomás de Torrejón y Velasco – La púrpura de la rosa
- Johan Georg Ahlens musikalisches Winter-Gespräche by Johann Georg Ahle, on intervals and modes. This is the fourth and final part of Ahle's Musikalische Gespräche series of treatises in form of dialogues.
- January 10 – Johann Caspar Simon, organist and composer (died 1776)
- February 1 – Johan Agrell, German composer and violinist (died 1765)
- June 19 – François Rebel, French composer (died 1775)
- September 22 – Anna Magdalena Bach, second wife of Johann Sebastian Bach, to whom he dedicated several of his works (died 1760)
- February 15 – Adam Drese, composer and bass viol player (b. c.1620)
- March 10 – Johann Schelle, composer (b. 1648
- October 13 – Andreas Anton Schmelzer, composer (b. 1653)