1720 in art
Events from the year 1720 in art.
- May 2 – James Thornhill, Serjeant Painter to King George I of Great Britain, is knighted, the first native English artist to be so honoured.
- John Michael Rysbrack settles in London.
- The interior decoration of Santo Sepolcro (Pisa) is restored.
- Peter Scheemakers – Bust of John Dryden (Westminster Abbey)
- Antoine Watteau
- January 19 – John Boydell, engraver (died 1804)
- January 20 – Bernardo Bellotto, Italian urban landscape painter or vedutista, and printmaker in etching (died 1780)
- August 15 - Charles Norbert Roettiers, French engraver and medallist (died 1772)
- October 4 – Giovanni Battista Piranesi, Italian artist (died 1778)
- November 30 - André Soares, Portuguese sculptor and architect (died 1769)
- date unknown
- Pierre-Edmé Babel, French engraver (died 1775)
- John Giles Eccardt, German-born English portrait painter (died 1779)
- Charles-Dominique-Joseph Eisen, French painter and draftsman (died 1778)
- Edme Dumont, French sculptor (died 1775)
- Pietro Gaspari, Italian artist, known for veduta and capriccio in etchings and paintings (died 1785)
- Carlo Magini, Italian painter of the Baroque period (died 1806)
- Johannes Rach, Danish painter and draughtsman (died 1783)
- Giuseppe Sanmartino, Italian sculptor during the Rococo period (died 1793)
- Isak Wacklin, Finnish painter (died 1758)
- Georg Caspar von Prenner, Austrian artist (died 1766), son of Anton Joseph von Prenner, Austrian artist (1683/98?–1761)
- date probably
- March 6 – Pieter van Bloemen, Flemish painter (born 1657)
- June 3 – Cristoforo Munari, Italian painter specializing in still life (born 1667)
- October 10 – Antoine Coysevox, French sculptor emigrated from Spain (born 1640)
- November 19 - Hendrick van Streeck, Dutch Golden Age painter of church interiors and a sculptor (born 1659)
- date unknown
- Harmsworth Encyclopedia (1905).