1762 in Scotland
List of years in Scotland|
Timeline of Scottish history
1762 in: Great Britain • Wales • Ireland • Elsewhere
Events from the year 1762 in Scotland.
- Lord Advocate – Thomas Miller of Glenlee
- Solicitor General for Scotland – James Montgomery jointly with Francis Garden
- Lord President of the Court of Session – Lord Arniston, the younger
- Lord Justice General – Marquess of Tweeddale to 9 December; then vacant
- Lord Justice Clerk – Lord Tinwald
- 10 March – William Robertson is elected Principal of the University of Edinburgh, an office which he will hold until his death in 1793, contributing to the Scottish Enlightenment.
- c. April – new building for Perth Academy occupied.
- 5 November – John Watson's Institution established in Edinburgh (school closed 1975).
- Admiral John Ross of Balnagowan Castle initiates land tenure reform in the Highlands which will evolve into the Highland Clearances.
- Economic crisis.
- Joseph Black first makes known his discoveries on latent heat, in Glasgow.
- 31 January – Lachlan Macquarie, British Army officer and Governor of New South Wales (died 1824 in London)
- 2 February – William Balmain, naval surgeon and civil administrator in New South Wales (died 1803 in London)
- 4 February – James Millar, physician and encylopædist (died 1827)
- 30 April – George Murray, 5th Earl of Dunmore, politician (died 1836)
- 17 July – Alexander Crombie, Presbyterian minister, schoolmaster and philosopher (died 1840 in London)
- 11 September – Joanna Baillie, poet and dramatist (died 1851 in London)
- 28 September – James Horsburgh, hydrographer of the East Indies (died 1836 in Kent)
- Approximate date – James Bisset, artist, manufacturer, writer, collector, art dealer and poet (died 1832 in the English midlands)
- 6 May – Sir Alexander Lindsay, 3rd Baronet (born 1683)
- 9 December – John Hay, 4th Marquess of Tweeddale (born 1695)
- 21 December – Alexander Forbes, 4th Lord Forbes of Pitsligo, Jacobite (born 1678)
- Smitten, Jeffrey R. (2004). "Robertson, William (1721–1793)". Oxford Dictionary of National Biography (Online ed.). Oxford University Press. doi:10.1093/ref:odnb/23817. Retrieved 2016-03-04. (subscription or UK public library membership required)
- Richards, Eric (1982). A History of the Highland Clearances. 1. London: Croom Helm. p. 249. ISBN 0-7099-2249-3.
- Hamilton, H. (1953). "Scotland's Balance of Payments Problem in 1762". The Economic History Review. 5: 344–357. doi:10.1111/j.1468-0289.1953.tb01474.x.
- Anderson, R. G. W. (2004). "Black, Joseph (1728–1799)". Oxford Dictionary of National Biography (Online ed.). Oxford University Press. doi:10.1093/ref:odnb/2495. Retrieved 2016-02-01.