1772 in music
- January 2 – The funeral of Sigismund von Schrattenbach, Archbishop of Salzburg, is the occasion for the first performance of Michael Haydn's Missa pro defunctis Archespiscopo.
- March 13 – Florian Leopold Gassmann replaces Georg Reutter II as Hofkapellmeister to the court of Emperor Joseph II in Vienna.
- June 5 – Carl Ditters von Dittersdorf is ennobled by Empress Maria Theresa.
- Carl Stamitz is resident composer at Versailles.
- Dr Charles Burney visits Johann Baptist Wanhal in Vienna.
- Ignaz Pleyel becomes a pupil of Joseph Haydn.
- Johann Christian Bach – Symphonie Concertante in G C32
- Christian Cannabich – Symphony No. 50 in D minor
- Florian Leopold Gassmann – La Betulia Liberata (oratorio)
- Joseph Haydn
- Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart – Divertimenti K. 136-138 "Salzburg Symphonies"
- Andrea Luchesi – 6 Sonatas for harpsichord and violin Op. 1
- Giovanni Paisiello – Requiem for Gennara di Borbone
- Pasquale Anfossi – Alessandro nelle Indie
- Johann Christian Bach
- Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart
- March 30 – Johann Wilhelm Wilms, composer (died 1847)
- April 25 – Louis Deland, actor, singer and dancer (died 1823)
- May 1 – Jacques-Michel Hurel de Lamare, cellist (died 1823)
- June 10 – Greta Naterberg, folk singer (d. 1818)
- September 3 – Nicola Tacchinardi, cellist and operatic tenor (died 1859)
- October 4 – Francois-Louis Perne, composer (died 1832)
- unknown date
- February 13 – Pierre-Claude Foucquet, organist and harpsichordist (born 1694)
- March – Francesco Carattoli, operatic bass (born c.1705)
- March 11 – Georg Reutter II, composer (born 1708)
- April 19 – Johann Peter Kellner, organist and composer (born 1705)
- April 22 – Marie Favart, opera singer, actress and dancer (born 1727)
- May 6 – Edmund Pascha, organist and composer (born 1714)
- June 15 – Claude Daquin, composer and organist (born 1694)
- October 8 – Jean-Joseph de Mondonville, violinist and composer (born 1711)
- Panna Cinka, violinist (born 1711)