1790 in Scotland
List of years in Scotland|
Timeline of Scottish history
1790 in: Great Britain • Wales • Ireland • Elsewhere
Events from the year 1790 in Scotland.
- Lord President of the Court of Session – Lord Succoth
- Lord Justice General – The Viscount Stormont
- Lord Justice Clerk – Lord Braxfield
- 16 June–28 July – British general election gives Pitt an increased majority.
- 28 June – Forth and Clyde Canal opened.
- October – Pladda Lighthouse first illuminated.
- Balblair distillery at Edderton founded.
- Caerlee Mill at Innerleithen completed, the oldest woollen mill in the Scottish Borders.
- New Ardkinglas Castle built.
- Construction of Gosford House to the design of Robert Adam for Francis Wemyss-Charteris is begun.
- The mineral element strontium is discovered near Strontian by chemists Adair Crawford and William Cruickshank.
- Approximate date – Whaligoe steps cut.
- 3 March – Robert Story, Church of Scotland minister and writer (died 1859)
- 25 October – Robert Stirling, Church of Scotland minister and inventor of the Stirling engine (died 1878)
- 29 October – David Napier, marine engineer (died 1869 in London)
- James Clow, Presbyterian minister and settler in Melbourne (died 1861 in Australia)
- Approximate date – Mary Diana Dods, writer as "David Lyndsay", later known as "Walter Sholto Douglas" (died 1830 in France)
- 5 February – William Cullen, physician and chemist (born 1710)
- 4 March – Flora MacDonald, Jacobite (born 1722)
- 17 July – Adam Smith, economist and philosopher (born 1723)
- 24 November – Robert Henry, historian and Church of Scotland minister (born 1718)
- Catholic priest Alexander Geddes writes the poem Linton: a Tweedside Pastoral, Carmen Seculare pro Gallica Gente in praise of the French Revolution.
- Kirkmichael musician Robert Petrie publishes several Highland music pieces with "Mrs. Small of Dirnanean" in their title. The compositions are published in "Petrie's Collection of Strathspey Reels & County Dances".
- Palmer, Alan; Veronica (1992). The Chronology of British History. London: Century Ltd. pp. 230–231. ISBN 0-7126-5616-2.
- "Pladda". Northern Lighthouse Board. Retrieved 2016-01-19.
- The History of Stirlingshire by William Nimmo, revised by W. M. Stirling and R. Gillespie, 1880
- Gatherer, Nigel. "Robert Petrie's First Collection". Retrieved 2012-06-20.