1834 in music
Jump to navigation Jump to search
This article does not cite any sources. (February 2013) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
This article is about music-related events in 1834.
- September – Viennese ballerina Fanny Elssler makes her debut with the Ballet du Théâtre de l'Académie Royale de Musique at the Paris Opera's Salle Le Peletier.
- October 7 – Birmingham Town Hall in Birmingham, England, designed by Joseph Hansom and Edward Welch, is opened for the Birmingham Triennial Music Festival.
- Statue of Jean-Jacques Rousseau is erected in his birthplace of Geneva.
- Mikhail Glinka returns to Russia after several years away with the intention of composing Russian nationalist music.
- Pierre Baillot – L'art du violon
- "Alphabet song" (copyrighted by C. Bradlee)
- Hector Berlioz – Harold in Italy
- Luigi Cherubini – String Quartet No. 3 in D minor
- Frederic Chopin – Fantaisie-Impromptu (published posthumously in 1855)
- William Sterndale Bennett – Piano Concerto in C Minor
- John Barnett – The Mountain Sylph
- Konradin Kreutzer – Das Nachtlager in Granada
- Saverio Mercadante – Uggiero il danese
- January 14 – William C. F. Robinson, colonial administrator (d. 1897)
- January 28 – Sabine Baring-Gould, clergyman, hymn-writer, song collector, writer and scholar (d. 1834)
- February 28 – Sir Charles Santley, baritone (d. 1922)
- March 1 – Hildegard Werner, conductor (d. 1911)
- March 23 – Julius Reubke, pianist, organist and composer (d. 1858)
- June 8 – George Garrett, composer (d. 1897)
- June 24 – George Becker, composer and music writer (d. 1928)
- August 9 – Elias Álvares Lobo, composer (d. 1901)
- August 17 – Peter Benoit, composer (d. 1901)
- August 31 – Amilcare Ponchielli, composer (d. 1886)
- October 31 – Knowles Shaw, composer of gospel hymns (d. 1878)
- February 4 – Amélie-Julie Candeille, singer, librettist and composer (b. 1767)
- September 2 – David Charles, hymn-writer (b. 1762)
- August 8 – Silvestro Palma, Italian composer (b. 1754)
- October 8 – François-Adrien Boïeldieu, composer (b. 1775)
- date unknown