1853 in poetry
Works published in English
- Mrs. Cecil Frances Alexander, Narratyve Hymns for Village Schools
- Matthew Arnold, Poems: a New Edition, the first collected edition of the author's poems; known as Poems: First Series (see also 1855); including "Sobrab and Rustum" and "The Scholar Gipsy"
- R. D. Blackmore, writing under the pen name "Melanter", Poems by Melanter
- Martha Browne, (a.k.a. Mattie Griffith) Poems
- Elizabeth Barrett Browning, Poems (see also Poems 1844, 1850, 1856)
- Caroline Clive, writing under the pen name "V", The Morlas
- Sydney Dobell, Balder
- Coventry Patmore, Tamerton Church-Tower (see also 1878)
- Alexander Smith, Poems, Scottish poet
- Thomas Holley Chivers:
- Samuel Longfellow, Thalatta: A Book for the Sea-side, compiled with Thomas Wentworth Higginson
- Lydia Huntley Sigourney, The Faded Hope
- William Gilmore Simms, Poems: Descriptive, Dramatic, Legendary and Contemplative, in two volumes, Charleston, South Carolina: John Russell
- Sarah Helen Whitman, Hours of Life
- John Greenleaf Whittier, The Chapel of the Hermits
- Peter John Allan (died 1848), Poetical Remains of Peter John Allan, Esq., Canadian poet published in London
- Charles Harpur, The Bushrangers: a Play in Five Acts, and other Poems, Australia
Works published in other languages
- Hilario Ascasubi, Aniceto el Gallo, Argentina
- Álvares de Azevedo, Lira dos Vinte Anos, Brazil (posthumous)
- Paul Heyse, Lieder aus Sorrent ("Songs of Sorrento"), Germany
- Victor Hugo, Les Châtiments, France
- Friedrich Reinhold Kreutzwald, Kalevipoeg, Estonia (suppressed due to censorship)
Death years link to the corresponding "[year] in poetry" article:
Birth years link to the corresponding "[year] in poetry" article:
- February 3 – August Kopisch, German poet and painter (born 1799)
- April 28 – Ludwig Tieck, German (born 1773)
- October 27 – Maria White Lowell, American (born 1821)
- December 2 – Amelia Opie, English novelist, writer and poet (born 1769)
- Dayaram, Indian, Gujarati-language poet (born 1757)
- 19th century in poetry
- 19th century in literature
- List of years in poetry
- List of years in literature
- Victorian literature
- French literature of the 19th century
- Pinion, F. B. (1990). "1853". A Tennyson Chronology. Basingstoke: Macmillan. p. 66. ISBN 0-333-46020-0.
- Cox, Michael, ed. (2004). The Concise Oxford Chronology of English Literature. Oxford University Press. ISBN 0-19-860634-6.
- Ludwig, Richard M.; Clifford A. Nault, Jr. (1986). Annals of American Literature: 1602–1983. New York: Oxford University Press.
- "William Gilmore Simms, 1806-1870 – Poems: Descriptive, Dramatic..." Documenting the American South. Retrieved 2009-05-29.
- Rees, William (1992). The Penguin Book of French Poetry: 1820-1950. Penguin. ISBN 978-0-14-042385-3.
- Mohan, Sarala Jag, Chapter 4: "Twentieth-Century Gujarati Literature" (Google books link), in Natarajan, Nalini, and Emanuel Sampath Nelson, editors, Handbook of Twentieth-century Literatures of India, Westport, Connecticut: Greenwood Publishing Group, 1996, ISBN 978-0-313-28778-7, retrieved December 10, 2008