1869 in archaeology
Jump to navigation Jump to search
The year 1869 in archaeology involved some significant events.
This section is empty. You can help by adding to it. (July 2010)
- Temple of Artemis at Ephesus discovered by British archaeologist John Turtle Wood near Kusadasi, Turkey.
- Near Miamisburg, Ohio, the site of Miamisburg Mound is partially excavated, when a vertical shaft is sunk from the top to the base, with two horizontal tunnels extending from it.
- March 30 - Aleš Hrdlička, Czech-born anthropologist (d. 1943)
- September 24 - Maud Cunnington, British archaeologist (d. 1951)
- John Kirk, English physician, Roman archaeologist and physical anthropologist (d. 1940)
- "John Turtle Wood - oil painting". British Museum. Retrieved 23 May 2017.