1877 in Scotland
List of years in Scotland|
Timeline of Scottish history
1877 in: The UK • Wales • Ireland • Elsewhere
Scottish football: 1876–77 • 1877–78
Events from the year 1877 in Scotland.
- Lord President of the Court of Session and Lord Justice General – Lord Glencorse
- Lord Justice Clerk – Lord Moncreiff
- 24 April – six Scotch whisky distilleries combine to form Distillers Company.
- 16 October – the Abertay light vessel is moored on station off Dundee, Scotland's first lightvessel.
- 22 October – Blantyre mining disaster: Scotland’s worst-ever mining accident kills over 200.
- 3 December – the original Mount Stuart House on the Isle of Bute is burned down.
- Ex-President of the United States Ulysses S. Grant tours his ancestral Scotland.
- The rebuilt Ardverikie House in Badenoch, designed by John Rhind, is completed.
- Cluny Harbour at Buckie is built.
- Wick Harbour breakwater is washed away in a storm for a second time.
- Mitchell Library established in Glasgow.
- Manufacture of linoleum at Kirkcaldy begins.
- Separate U.K. Ayrshire cattle and Galloway cattle societies established and herd books set up.
- A breed register for the Clydesdale horse is established.
- 25 February – John Tait Robertson, international footballer (died 1935)
- 12 May – William Weir, 1st Viscount Weir, industrialist and politician (died 1959)
- 7 August – Leslie Hunter, born George Hunter, painter (died 1931)
- 9 November – Helen Crawfurd, suffragette and communist activist (died 1954)
- 26 November – Sir John Stewart, 1st Baronet, of Fingask, whisky distiller (suicide 1924)
- 2 January – Alexander Bain, inventor (born 1810)
- 3 February – James Merry, ironmaster, race-horse breeder and Liberal MP (1859–74) (born 1805)
- William McGonagall discovers himself to be a poet (according to his own account).
- Robert Louis Stevenson's first published works of fiction appear in magazines.
- Everett, Jason M., ed. (2006). "1877". The People's Chronology. Thomson Gale.
- "Mariners and Seamen" (PDF). The Nine Incorporated Trades of Dundee. 2011. Retrieved 2014-04-28.
- "Blantyre Disaster 22nd October 1877". Scottish Mining Website. Retrieved 2014-04-28.
- Thomson, Andrew (2018-06-10). "Stars and gripes: When US President Ulysses S Grant came to Scotland". BBC. Retrieved 2018-06-11.
- "History". Ardverikie Estate Limited. Retrieved 2014-07-05.
- Smith, Alexander (1952). The Third Statistical Account of Scotland: County of Fife. Edinburgh: Oliver and Boyd. pp. 287–8. OCLC 41800432.
- Dohner, Janet Vorwald (June 2010). "Ayrshire Cattle: Heritage Livestock Breeds". Mother Earth News. Retrieved 2016-03-01.
- Hunt, Chris, ed. (2006). William McGonagall: Collected Poems. Edinburgh: Birlinn. p. vi. ISBN 9781841584775.