1884 in archaeology
|Table of years in archaeology|
|Related time period or subjects|
|Art Archaeology Architecture Literature Music Science more |
In Template:Year nav topic: extra parameters: science
The year 1884 in archaeology involved some significant events.
- Rev. William Collings Lukis and Sir Henry Dryden, Bart., survey megalithic monuments in Scotland, Cumberland and Westmoreland.
- October - Augustus Pitt Rivers begins excavation of the Romano-British settlement site on Woodcutts Common, on his Cranborne Chase estate in Dorset.
- Tanis, Egypt: the first excavation conducted by Flinders Petrie.
- Excavations at the Oracle of Apollo on Ptoion are begun by the French School at Athens.
- Winter - First burials of the Remedello culture.
- Pitt Rivers Museum established by donation of Augustus Pitt Rivers' anthropological and archaeological collections to the University of Oxford.
- The Museum of Archaeology and Anthropology established at the University of Cambridge. When opened, the museum is known as the Cambridge Antiquarian Library and Museum.
- François Lenormant - La Genèse traduite d'après l'hébreu, avec distinction des éléments constitutifs du texte, suivi d‘un essai de restitution des textes dont s'est servi le dernier rédacteur (Paris).
- January 26 - Roy Chapman Andrews, American explorer (d. 1960).
- July 25 - Davidson Black, Canadian paleoanthropologist (d. 1934)
- Sebire, Heather (2009). "The Lukis family of Guernsey and antiquarian pursuits in Scotland". Proceedings of the Society of Antiquaries of Scotland. 139: 123–166.
- Thompson, M. W. (1977). General Pitt-Rivers: evolution and archaeology in the nineteenth century. Bradford-on-Avon: Moonraker Press. p. 96. ISBN 0-239-00162-1.
- "The scientific work". Archaeological Museum of Thebes. Retrieved 2017-11-23.
- "Pitt Rivers Museum". www.culture24.org.uk. Retrieved 2017-05-27.
- "Cambridge University Museum of Archaeology and Anthropology: report on the papers of archaeologists and anthropologists". www.nationalarchives.gov.uk. Retrieved 3 January 2018.
- "Roy Chapman Andrews". Britannica.com. Retrieved 2017-05-27.
- "Davidson Black - Canadian anthropologist". Encyclopedia Britannica. Retrieved 2017-05-31.