1887–88 Dumbarton F.C. season
|Stadium||Boghead Park, Dumbarton|
|Scottish Cup||Second Round|
- 1 Overview
- 2 Results
- 3 Player statistics
- 4 Reserve Team
- 5 Factfile
- 6 See also
- 7 References
- 8 External links
Following an easy first round victory, Dumbarton were knocked out of the Scottish Cup at the second round stage by their old rivals Vale of Leven.
In the Dumbartonshire Cup, it was a similar story, with an easy win in the second round followed by a defeat by Renton in the third round.
A good win in the first round of the Glasgow Charity Cup against 3rd LRV brought some cheer, but Cambuslang were to prove too strong in the semi final replay, after a 1-1 draw.
Dumbarton's fixture list during the season grew to its biggest so far with 44 'other' matches being played. This included home and away ties against Rangers, Hibernian, Vale of Leven, Partick Thistle, Morton, Port Glasgow and 3rd LRV, a match against Renfreshire Cup holders Abercorn, and a 4 match tour of the north of Scotland during the New Year holidays. In addition 6 matches were played against English opposition with mixed results. In all, of these games, 23 were won, 4 drawn and 17 lost, scoring 135 goals and conceding 102.
All results are written with Dumbarton's score first.
|1 September 1887||R1||Dunbritton||H||10-0||unknown|
|24 September 1887||R2||Vale of Leven||H||1-5||Aitken||3,000|
|19 November 1887||R2||Methlan Park||H||9-0||unknown|
|10 December 1887||R3||Renton||A||0-1|
|25 April 1888||R1||3rd LRV||A||5-0||Madden(2);Dewar;OG;unknown||2,000|
|4 May 1888||SF||Cambuslang||A||1-1||unknown||2,000|
|9 May 1888||SFr||Cambuslang||A||0-3||1,000|
|13 August 1887||Dundee Wanderers||A||5-1||unknown|
|20 August 1887||St Bernard's||A||4-5||Robertson;Jamieson(2);OG|
|23 August 1887||Shettleston||A||2-1||Keir(2)|
|25 August 1887||Northern||H||5-1||Bell;Low;Lapsley;Jamieson;unknown|
|27 August 1887||Queen's Park||A||3-5||Aitken;Jamieson;Bell||4,000|
|3 September 1887||Mauchline||H||8-1||Bell(4);Mair;Lapsley;Jamieson;unknown|
|10 September 1887||Hibernian||H||4-2||Jamieson;Bell;Low;Aitken|
|17 September 1887||Rangers||A||3-2||Jamieson;Aitken;Lapsley||1,000|
|1 October 1887||Albion Rovers||H||7-2||Aitken(2);Bell(3);Low;Lindsay||1,000|
|8 October 1887||Blackburn Rovers||H||2-2||Aitken(2)||2,000|
|15 October 1887||Partick Thistle||A||3-4||Jamieson(2);Aitken|
|22 October 1887||Motherwell||A||1-1||MacPherson|
|29 October 1887||Athenians||H||8-1||Mair(2);Bell(2);Jamieson;Aitken;Lapsley;unknown|
|5 November 1887||Clyde||A||2-1||Jamieson;unknown||2,000|
|12 November 1887||Vale of Leven||H||2-2||Dewar;unknown||2,000|
|3 December 1887||Morton||H||0-4|
|17 December 1887||Morton||A||5-0||Aitken;Bell;Dewar;unknown(2)|
|24 December 1887||Port Glasgow||H||4-0||unknown|
|31 December 1887||Dundee Wanderers||A||5-4||Dewar;Lapsley;OG;unknown(2)||2,000|
|2 January 1888||Arbroath||A||3-2||unknown|
|3 January 1888||Montrose||A||5-1||unknown|
|4 January 1888||Aberdeen||A||12-3||Bell(2);Aitken;Low(2);Dewar;Barr;OG;unknown(4)|
|7 January 1888||Hibernian||A||1-5||Bell|
|14 January 1888||Clyde||A||1-3||Dewar|
|21 January 1888||St Mirren||A||0-1|
|4 February 1888||Cowlairs||H||5-0||Bell(2);Madden;Lapsley;Dewar|
|11 February 1888||3rd LRV||A||1-2||Lapsley|
|18 February 1888||3rd LRV||H||3-1||Galbraith;McMillan;Lapsley|
|25 February 1888||Kings Park||A||4-2||unknown|
|3 March 1888||Vale of Leven||A||3-1||Bell(3)||4,000|
|10 March 1888||Rangers||H||4-4||Aitken(2);Bell;Dewar||3,000|
|22 March 1888||Montrose||A||4-3||unknown||2,500|
|24 March 1888||Grangemouth||A||3-1||unknown|
|30 March 1888||Preston North End||A||0-7||7,000|
|31 March 1888||Burnley||A||2-1||Low;unknown||5,000|
|2 April 1888||Blackburn Rovers||A||1-2||Lapsley||6,000|
|4 April 1888||Aston Villa||A||1-4||unknown|
|7 April 1888||Queen's Park||A||2-6||Aitken;unknown||2,000|
|14 April 1888||Cowlairs||A||0-2||1,000|
|21 April 1888||Partick Thistle||H||1-2||Low|
|27 April 1888||Preston North End||H||0-1||4,000|
|28 April 1888||Hearts||A||2-1||Dewar;unknown|
|5 May 1888||Abercorn||A||2-3||Low(2)|
|19 May 1888||Port Glasgow||A||2-5||unknown|
|DF||R D Hunter||2||0||2||0|
An international trial match was played on 18 February 1888 to consider selection of teams to represent Scotland in the upcoming games in the 1888 British Home Championship. Leitch Keir was selected to take part.
Subsequently, four Dumbarton players were selected to play for Scotland as follows:
- Geordie Dewar and Duncan Stewart earned their first caps and Ralph Aitken earned his second cap against Ireland. Both Dewar and Aitken scored in the 10-2 win over the Irish.
- Leitch Keir earned his fifth cap against England.
Dumbarton players were selected to play in Dumbartonshire representative matches as follows:
|22 October 1887||Lancashire||4-1||Jamieson(1);Keir;Stewart|
|28 January 1888||Edinburgh||4-1||Aitken(1);Bell(2);Dewar;Hunter|
|28 January 1888||Renfrewshire||2-1||Lapsley;McMillan|
|25 March 1888||Lanarkshire||1-4||Low|
- Leitch Keir was selected to play in a Scots Anglo XI against a Scots Welsh XI on 26 May 1888. The 'English' XI won 4-3.
- Geordie Dewar was selected to play in a Scottish Internationalists XI against Perthshire and Aberdeenshire on 20 and 21 April respectively.
Of note amongst those donning the club's colours for the first time were Duncan Stewart and John Bell.
At the same time the club's squad was depleted by the loss four internationalists:
- Robert 'Plumber' Brown and Joe Lindsay moved to local rivals Dumbarton Athletic. James McAulay emigrated to Burma and Billy Robertson also heading for 'pastures new'.
In addition after returning from a short spell with Bolton Wanderers, Jock Hutcheson left the club for the final time.
Dumbarton were defeated in the second round of the Scottish Second XI Cup by Vale of Leven.
In the Dumbartonshire Second XI Cup competition, Dumbarton lost out in the semi final to Renton.
Scottish Second XI Cup
|10 September 1887||R1||3rd LRV||H||5-0|
|1 October 1887||R2||Vale of Leven||A||0-4|
Dumbartonshire Second XI Cup
|3 December 1887||SF||Renton||A||0-1|
* The total number of goals scored by Dumbarton in all games during the season was 161. The second season in a row that the 'century' had been broken and beating the previous record set in season 1881-82.
* 112 goals were scored against Dumbarton in all matches - the first time that a 'century' had been conceded during a single season.
- McLuskie (Dumbarton Football Club Historical Archive)
- R D Hunter (Dumbarton Football Club Historical Archive)
- J Dennett (Dumbarton Football Club Historical Archive)
- McNee (Dumbarton Football Club Historical Archive)
- R Jamieson (Dumbarton Football Club Historical Archive)
- William Lapsley (Dumbarton Football Club Historical Archive)
- J Low (Dumbarton Football Club Historical Archive)
- Hugh Mair (Dumbarton Football Club Historical Archive)
- Geordie Dewar (London Hearts Profile)
- Duncan Stewart (London Hearts Profile)
- Leitch Keir (London Hearts Profile)
- Ralph Aitken (London Hearts Profile)
- Scottish Football Historical Archive