1888 in film
Jump to navigation Jump to search
The following is an overview of the events of 1888 in film, including a list of films released and notable births.
- George Eastman files for a patent for his photographic film.
- Thomas Edison meets with Eadweard Muybridge who proposes a scheme for sound film (February 27, West Orange, New Jersey).
- Étienne-Jules Marey starts work on his chronophotographe with 90 mm wide roll paper film.
- Charles-Émile Reynaud is the first to use perforated film for use with his animated show, Théâtre Optique.
- Roundhay Garden Scene directed by Louis Aimé Augustin Le Prince is credited by many as the first film but is actually the second film (after Man Walking Around A Corner, also by Le Prince).
- Traffic Crossing Leeds Bridge, directed by Louis Le Prince, is filmed on paper filmstrips.
- Accordion Player, directed by Louis Le Prince.
- Pferd und Reiter Springen über ein Hindernis, directed by Ottomar Anschütz in Germany.
- Brighton Street Scene, a lost film directed by William Friese-Greene.
- January 3
- January 17 – Edvard Persson, Swedish actor (died 1957)
- January 23 – Franklin Pangborn, American actor (died 1958)
- March 4 – Rafaela Ottiano, Italian-born American actress (died 1942)
- March 5 – Jules Furthman, American writer, director and producer (died 1966)
- March 10 – Barry Fitzgerald, Irish actor (died 1961)
- March 30 – Anna Q. Nilsson, Swedish-born American actress (died 1974)
- April 11 – Donald Calthrop, English actor (died 1940)
- April 27 – Florence La Badie, American actress (died 1917)
- May 17 – Claude Mérelle, French actress (died 1976)
- May 25 – Miles Malleson, English actor and writer (died 1969)
- July 4 – Henry Armetta, Italian-born American actor (died 1945)
- July 16 – Percy Kilbride, American actor (died 1964)
- August 14 – Robert Woolsey, American actor (died 1938)
- August 17 – Monty Woolley, American actor (died 1963)
- September 12 – Maurice Chevalier, French actor and singer (died 1972)
- September 25 – Hanna Ralph, German actress (died 1978)
- September 26 – Wally Patch, English actor and writer (died 1970)
- October 1 – John E. Blakeley, English producer, director and writer (died 1958)
- October 9 – Hank Patterson, American actor (died 1975)
- October 18 – Paul Vermoyal, French actor (died 1925)
- October 25 – Lester Cuneo, American actor and producer (died 1925)
- November 3 – Maurice Vinot, French actor (died 1916)
- November 18 – Frances Marion, American writer, director, producer and actress (died 1973)
- November 23 – Harpo Marx, American actor and writer (died 1964)
- November 24 – Cathleen Nesbitt, English actress (died 1982)
- November 25 – Amund Rydland, Norwegian actor (died 1967)
- November 26 – Francisco Canaro, Uruguayan-born Argentine composer, producer and actor (died 1964)
- December 6 – Will Hay, English actor, writer and director (died 1949)
- December 18 – Gladys Cooper, English actress (died 1971)
- December 22 – J. Arthur Rank, 1st Baron Rank, English producer and writer (died 1972)
- December 27
- December 28 – F. W. Murnau, German director, writer and producer (died 1931)
Media related to 1888 in film at Wikimedia Commons