1894 in film
This article needs additional citations for verification. (May 2013) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
The following is an overview of the events of 1894 in film, including a list of films released and notable births.
|Years in film|
- January 7
- April 14 - The first commercial presentation of the Kinetoscope took place in the Holland Brothers' Kinetoscope Parlor at 1155 Broadway, New York City.
- June 6 - Charles Francis Jenkins projects a filmed motion picture before an audience in Richmond, Indiana. Earliest documented projection of a motion picture.
- Thomas Edison experiments with synchronizing audio with film; the Kinetophone is invented which loosely synchronizes a Kinetoscope image with a cylinder phonograph.
- Kinetoscope viewing parlors begin to open in major cities. Each parlor contains several machines.
- Birt Acres creates a 70 mm format, which he first uses to shoot the Henley Royal Regatta.
Films released in 1894
Films by William K. L. Dickson
- A Bar Room Scene
- Alleni's Boxing Monkeys
- Amateur Gymnast, No. 2
- Annabelle Butterfly Dance, starring Annabelle Moore.
- Annabelle Sun Dance, starring Annabelle Moore.
- Annie Oakley, starring Annie Oakley.
- Armand D'Ary, starring by Armand D'Ary.
- Athlete with Wand.
- Babies in High Chairs.
- Band Drill, directed by William Heise and William K. L. Dickson, wrote by Charles Hale Hoyt and starring by Frank Baldwin.
- Bertoldi (Mouth Support), starring by Ena Bertoldi.
- Bertoldi (Table Contortion), starring by Ena Bertoldi.
- Boxing, starring by Jack McAuliffe.
- Boxing Cats (Prof. Welton's), may be the first comedy film ever made.
- Bucking Broncho, directed by William Heise and William K. L. Dickson and starring by Frank Hammitt and Lee Martin.
- Buffalo Bill, starring William F. Cody.
- Buffalo Dance, starring by Hair Coat, Parts His Hair and Last Horse.
- Caicedo (with Pole), starring by Juan A. Caicedo.
- Caicedo (with Spurs), starring by Juan A. Caicedo.
- Carmencita, starring by Carmencita.
- Chinese Laundry Scene, directed by William Heise and William K. L. Dickson and starring by Phil Doreto and Robetta.
- Chinese Opium Den.
- Cock Fight, No. 2, directed by William Heise and William K. L. Dickson and starring by Henry Welton.
- Corbett and Courtney Before the Kinetograph, directed by William Heise and William K. L. Dickson and starring by James J. Corbett and Peter Courtney.
- Cupid's Dance, starring by Florence Ewer, Lenora Ewer and Mildred Ewer.
- Dance, starring by Rosa France, Frank Lawton and Etta Williamson.
- Dance du Ventre.
- The Dickson Experimental Sound Film also starring by William K.L. Dickson.
- Dogs Fighting.
- Edison Employee Picnic.
- Fancy Club Swinger, starring John R. Abell.
- Finale of 1st Act, Hoyt's 'Milk White Flag'.
- Fire Rescue Scene, directed by William Heise and William K. L. Dickson
- Fred Ott's Sneeze (also known as Edison Kinetoscopic Record of a Sneeze) starring by Fred Ott.
- Fred Ott Holding a Bird starring by Fred Ott.
- French Dancers.
- Glenroy Bros (Comic Boxing), directed by William Heise and William K. L. Dickson. One of the earliest comedy films ever made.
- Hadj Cheriff, starring by Hadji Cheriff.
- Highland Dance.
- Human Pyramid, starring by Saleem Nassar.
- The Hornbacker-Murphy Fight, starring by Eugene Hornbacker and Murphy.
- Imperial Japanese Dance, directed by William Heise and William K. L. Dickson and starring by The Sarashe Sisters.
- Lady Fencers (With Broadswords), starring by Louise Blanchard and Helen Englehart.
- Lady Fencers (With Foils).
- Lasso Exhibition, starring by Frank Hammitt and Lee Martin.
- Lasso Thrower, starring by Vicente Oropeza.
- Leonard-Cushing Fight, starring by Jack Cushing and Mike Leonard..
- Luis Martinetti, Contortionist, starring Luis Martinetti.
- Man of a Thousand Faces, starring George Layman.
- May Lucas, starring May Lucas.
- Men on Parallel Bars.
- Mexican Knife Duel, starring Pedro Esquivel and Dionecio Gonzales.
- Miss Lucy Murray, starring by Lucy Murray.
- Mlle. Capitaine, starring by Alciede Capitaine.
- Organ Grinder, No. 1 and Organ Grinder, No. 2.
- Oriental Dance, starring by Rosa.
- Rat Killing.
- Rats and Terrier No. 2 and Rats and Terrier No. 3.
- Rats and Weasel.
- Ruth Dennis, starring by Ruth St. Denis.
- Sandow (film), (Sandow No. 1) Souvenir Strip of the Edison Kinetoscope, Sandow No. 2 and Sandow No. 3, starring bu Eugen Sandow.
- Sheik Hadji Tahar, starring by Sheik Hadji Tahar.
- Sioux Ghost Dance, directed by William Heise and William K. L. Dickson.
- Summersault Dog, starring by Lucy the Dog and Ivan Tschernoff.
- Sword Combat, starring by Najid and Saleem Nassar.
- The Barbershop, directed by William Heise and William K. L. Dickson.
- The Carnival Dance, starring by Madge Crossland, May Lucas and Lucy Murray.
- The Cock Fight.
- The Pickaninny Dance, from the 'Passing Show', starring by Joe Rastus, Denny Tolliver and Walter Wilkins.
- The Widder, starring by Isabelle Coe.
- The Wrestling Dog, starring by Henry Welton.
- Topack and Steele, starring by George W. Steele and George Topack.
- Toyou Kichi, starring by Toyou Kichi.
- Trained Bears
- Unsuccessful Somersault
- Walton and Slavin No. 1, Walton and Slavin No. 2, Walton and Slavin No. 3 and Walton and Slavin No. 4 starring by John Slavin and Charles F. Walton.
- Whirlwind Gun Spinning, starring by Hadj Lessik.
- Wonderful Performing Dog, starring by Lucy the Dog and Ivan Tschernoff.
- Wrestling Match.
Films directed by other filmmakers
- Autour d'une cabine, animated short film directed by Charles-Émile Reynaud.
- Crows on Saffron Hill, directed by Birt Acres.
- Falling Cat, directed by Étienne-Jules Marey.
- Haycart Crossing Hadley Green, Middlesex, directed by Birt Acres.
- Miss Jerry, directed by Alexander Black and starring by Blanche Bayliss, William Courtenay and Chauncey Depew.
- Rêve au coin du feu, directed by Charles-Émile Reynaud.
- January 3 - ZaSu Pitts, American actress (d. 1963)
- February 8 - King Vidor, American actor and director (d. 1982)
- February 14 - Jack Benny, American comedian (d. 1974)
- May 20 - Estelle Taylor, American actress (d. 1958)
- May 26 - Norma Talmadge, American actress (d. 1957)
- June 16 - Norman Kerry, American actor (d. 1956)
- July 25 - Walter Brennan, American actor (d. 1974)
- July 27 - Mientje Kling, Dutch actress (d. 1966)
- September 15 - Jean Renoir, French director (d. 1979)
- September 26 - Gladys Brockwell, American actress (d. 1929)
- September 27 - Olive Tell, American actress (d. 1951)
- August 10 - Alan Crosland, American director (d. 1936
- October 7 - Del Lord, Canadian pioneer Hollywood director (d. 1970)
- October 20 - Olive Thomas, American actress (d. 1920)
- October 27 - Agda Helin, Swedish actress (d. 1984)
- November 9 - Mae Marsh, American actress (d. 1968)
- November 13 - Nita Naldi, American actress (d. 1961)
- December 8 - Marthe Vinot, French actress (d. 1974)
Media related to 1894 in film at Wikimedia Commons
- "A Sneeze Caught on Film". American Treasures of the Library of Congress. Retrieved 24 February 2013.
- Musser, Charles (1994). The Emergence of Cinema: The American Screen to 1907, Volume 1. London, England: University of California Press. p. 81. ISBN 0521897335.
- "The Case Files: C. Franklin Jenkins". The Franklin Institute. Retrieved 24 February 2013.
- Venkatasawmy, Rama (2012). The Digitization of Cinematic Visual Effects: Hollywood's Coming of Age. Lanham, MD: Lexington Books. p. 166. ISBN 0739176218.
- "Acres, Birt (1854-1918)". BFI Screen Online. Retrieved 24 February 2013.