1929 in Australian literature
This article presents a list of the historical events and publications of Australian literature during 1929.
For an overview of world literature see 1929 in literature.
- Arthur H. Adams – A Man's Life
- Martin Boyd – Dearest Idol
- Bernard Cronin – Toad
- Jean Devanny – Riven
- M. Barnard Eldershaw – A House is Built
- Arthur Gask – The Lonely House
- Mary Gaunt – The Lawless Frontier
- Norman Lindsay – Madam Life's Lovers : A Human Narrative Embodying a Philosophy of the Artist in Dialogue Form
- Jack McLaren – A Diver Went Down
- Frederic Manning – The Middle Parts of Fortune : Somme and Ancre, 1916
- Myra Morris – Enchantment
- Henry Handel Richardson – Ultima Thule
- Alice Grant Rosman – Visitors to Hugo
- Arthur W. Upfield – The Barrakee Mystery
- Dulcie Deamer – As It Was in the Beginning
- Vance Palmer
- Henry Handel Richardson – "The Bath"
- David Unaipon – Native Legends
Children's and Young Adult fiction
- Mary Grant Bruce – The Happy Traveller
- May Gibbs – Bib and Bub in Gumnut Town
- Lilian Turner – Lady Billie
- Ruth Bedford – Fairies and Fancies
- Furnley Maurice – The Gully and Other Verses
- Myra Morris – White Magic
- John Shaw Neilson – "The Whistling Jack"
- Kenneth Slessor
- "Cucumber Kitty"
- Betty Roland – Morning
- Alec H. Chisholm – Birds and Green Places : A Book of Australian Nature Gossip
Awards and honours
|ALS Gold Medal||Henry Handel Richardson||Ultima Thule||Heinemann|
A list, ordered by date of birth (and, if the date is either unspecified or repeated, ordered alphabetically by surname) of births in 1929 of Australian literary figures, authors of written works or literature-related individuals follows, including year of death.
- 5 January – Veronica Brady, poet and critic (died 2015)
- 1 February – R. A. Simpson, poet (died 2002)
- 16 February – Peter Porter, poet (died 2010)
- 2 April – Catherine Gaskin, novelist (died 2009)
- 14 April – Ray Mathew, novelist, poet and dramatist (died 2002)
- 5 May – Kenneth Cook, novelist (died 1987)
- 11 December – Desmond O'Grady, novelist and short story writer
- David Lake, novelist
A list, ordered by date of death (and, if the date is either unspecified or repeated, ordered alphabetically by surname) of deaths in 1929 of Australian literary figures, authors of written works or literature-related individuals follows, including year of birth.
- 28 May – Barbara Baynton, novelist and short story writer (born 1857)
- 1929 in poetry
- 1929 in literature
- List of years in literature
- List of years in Australian literature