1937–38 Dumbarton F.C. season
|Stadium||Boghead Park, Dumbarton|
|Scottish League Division Two||7th|
|Scottish Cup||First Round|
League: Jimmy Smith (29)|
All: Jimmy Smith (29)
Dumbarton made another encouraging start to their 15th season in a row in the Second Division, with only one defeat in their first 8 games. Although that form wasn't maintained fully, Dumbarton had their best season for a number of years by finishing 7th out of 18, with 39 points - 20 behind champions Raith Rovers. For the fifth time, Dumbarton maintained an unbeaten home league record, but with only 3 wins from 17 fixtures away from Boghead, promotion was never going to be a real possibility.
In the Scottish Cup, Dumbarton came up against first division Kilmarnock in the first round and despite a good fight were to finish up second best.
Elsewhere, a friendly match was played against East Stirling.
All results are written with Dumbarton's score first.
|14 August 1937||Brechin City||A||4-3||Smith,J(3);Murray|
|21 August 1937||Stenhousemuir||H||5-1||Smith,G(3);Smith,J;Duffy||3,500|
|28 August 1937||East Stirlingshire||A||2-2||Smith,G;Murray|
|4 September 1937||Dundee United||H||5-1||Smith,G(2);Smith,J(2);Murray||4,000|
|11 September 1937||Forfar Athletic||A||3-4||Smith,G(2);Duffy|
|18 September 1937||Leith Athletic||H||3-0||Duffy;Smith,J;Robertson||4,000|
|25 September 1937||Airdrie||A||3-1||Smith,G(2);Robertson||4,000|
|2 October 1937||Cowdenbeath||H||4-4||Devers(2);Smith,G;Smith,J||3,000|
|9 October 1937||East Fife||A||1-4||Duffy||2,000|
|16 October 1937||Raith Rovers||H||2-2||Smith,J;Robertson||5,000|
|23 October 1937||Dunfermline Athletic||A||1-4||Robertson||3,000|
|30 October 1937||King's Park||A||0-1|
|6 November 1937||Albion Rovers||H||3-2||Smith,G;Smith,J;Robertson||6,500|
|13 November 1937||Alloa Athletic||A||1-2||Smith,J|
|20 November 1937||Montrose||H||4-0||Duffy(2);Smith,J;OG||4,000|
|27 November 1937||St Bernard's||A||0-1||1,000|
|4 December 1937||Brechin City||H||7-0||Smith,J(3);Duffy(2);Murray;Smith,G||2,000|
|18 December 1937||East Fife||H||3-2||Smith,G;Smith,J;Duffy|
|25 December 1937||Stenhousemuir||A||2-4||Smith,G;Smith,J|
|1 January 1938||Forfar Athletic||H||2-0||Smith,G;Duffy||4,500|
|3 January 1938||Cowdenbeath||A||1-4||Duffy|
|8 January 1938||Leith Athletic||A||0-2||2,000|
|15 January 1938||East Stirlingshire||H||3-1||Smith,G;Duffy;Cochrane||2,500|
|29 January 1938||Dundee United||A||4-1||Smith,J(2);Smith,G;Robertson||2,000|
|5 February 1938||Edinburgh City||H||8-0||Smith,G(4);Smith,J(2);Robertson(2)||2,500|
|12 February 1938||Montrose||A||0-0|
|19 February 1938||Raith Rovers||A||0-7||5,000|
|26 February 1938||King's Park||H||4-1||Smith,J(2);Smith,G;trialist|
|12 March 1938||Dunfermline Athletic||H||4-1||Smith,J(3);Smith,G||5,000|
|19 March 1938||Albion Rovers||A||0-3|
|26 March 1938||St Bernard's||H||2-1||Smith,G;Smith,J||4,000|
|2 April 1938||Edinburgh City||A||0-4|
|9 April 1938||Airdrie||H||2-0||Smith,G;Robertson||5,000|
|16 April 1938||Alloa Athletic||H||2-2||Smith,J;Kemp|
|22 January 1938||1||Kilmarnock||A||0-6||9,000|
|5 March 1938||East Stirlingshire||H||3-3||Smith,G(2);ANO||1,000|
|No.||Pos||Nat||Player||Total||Second Division||Scottish Cup|
Amongst those players joining and leaving the club were the following:
* Much of the season's success was due to the arrival of the Smith brothers - Gavin and Jimmy - as they contributed between them 54 of the 85 goals scored by Dumbarton in the league.
* The Dumbartonshire Cup, which had been a feature of Dumbarton seasons since 1884, was to be no more. With Dumbarton being the only senior club in the county it was agreed to disband the Dumbartonshire Association.
* The 63 goals scored at Boghead in league matches beat the previous highest number of home league goals (56) set in the 1929-30 season.
- Smailes, Gordon (1995). The Breedon Book of Scottish Football Records. Derby: Breedon Books. ISBN 1-85983-020-X.
- McAllister, Jim (2002). The Sons of the Rock - The Official History of Dumbarton Football Club. Dumbarton: J&J Robertson Printers.
- Litster, John. Record of Pre-War Scottish League Players. Norwich: PM Publications.
- William Morrison (Dumbarton Football Club Historical Archive)
- Robert Muir (Dumbarton Football Club Historical Archive)
- John Clay (Dumbarton Football Club Historical Archive)
- James McKain (Dumbarton Football Club Historical Archive)
- Daniel Clancy (Dumbarton Football Club Historical Archive)
- Coleman (Dumbarton Football Club Historical Archive)
- John Curley (Dumbarton Football Club Historical Archive)
- William Deans (Dumbarton Football Club Historical Archive)
- Ferguson (Dumbarton Football Club Historical Archive)
- John Irvine (Dumbarton Football Club Historical Archive)
- William Kemp (Dumbarton Football Club Historical Archive)
- James McAllister (Dumbarton Football Club Historical Archive)
- David Muir (Dumbarton Football Club Historical Archive)
- Willie White (Dumbarton Football Club Historical Archive)
- Thomas Devers (Dumbarton Football Club Historical Archive)
- Archibald Duffy (Dumbarton Football Club Historical Archive)
- Abram Robertson (Dumbarton Football Club Historical Archive)
- Sneddon (Dumbarton Football Club Historical Archive)
- Scottish Football Historical Archive