1955 in Australian literature
This article presents a list of the historical events and publications of Australian literature during 1955.
For an overview of world literature see 1955 in literature.
- Martin Boyd – A Difficult Young Man
- Jon Cleary – Justin Bayard
- Charmian Clift & George Johnston – The Sponge Divers
- Alfred E. Couchman – Fair Field, No Favor
- Dymphna Cusack – The Sun in Exile
- Mary Durack – Keep Him My Country
- Barbara Jefferis – Beloved Lady
- D'Arcy Niland – The Shiralee
- Ruth Park – Pink Flannel
- Colin Roderick – The Lady and the Lawyer
- Nevil Shute – Requiem for a Wren, (aka The Breaking Wave)
- E. V. Timms – They Came from the Sea
- Arthur Upfield – The Battling Prophet
- F. B. Vickers – The Mirage
- Patrick White – The Tree of Man
- A. Bertram Chandler – "Late"
- John Morrison – Black Cargo and Other Stories
- Vance Palmer – Let the Birds Fly
- Dal Stivens – Ironbark Bill
Children's and Young Adult fiction
- Lex Banning – "Apocalypse in Springtime"
- David Campbell – "Here, Under Pear-Trees"
- Rosemary Dobson – Child with a Cockatoo, and Other Poems
- Max Harris – The Coorong and Other Poems
- A. D. Hope – The Wandering Islands
- Nancy Keesing & Douglas Stewart – Australian Bush Ballads (edited)
- Nancy Keesing – Three Men and Sydney
- James McAuley – Australian Poetry 1955
- Roland Robinson
- "Passage of the Swans"
- Vivian Smith – "Portuguese Laurel Flowering"
- Douglas Stewart – The Birdsville Track and Other Poems
- Randolph Stow – "Sea Children"
- Chris Wallace-Crabbe – No Glass Houses
- Judith Wright – The Two Fires
- Dymphna Cusack – The Golden Girls : A Play in Three Acts
- Ray Lawler – Summer of the Seventeenth Doll
Awards and honours
|ALS Gold Medal||Patrick White||The Tree of Man||Viking Press|
Children's and Young Adult
|Children's Book of the Year Award||Older Readers||Norman B. Tindale & Harold Arthur Lindsay, illustrated by Madeleine Boyce||The First Walkabout||Longmans Green|
|Grace Leven Prize for Poetry||A. D. Hope||The Wandering Islands||Edwards and Shaw|
A list, ordered by date of birth (and, if the date is either unspecified or repeated, ordered alphabetically by surname) of births in 1955 of Australian literary figures, authors of written works or literature-related individuals follows, including year of death.
- 27 March – Linda Jaivin, novelist
- 28 March – Tony Shillitoe, novelist
- 15 June – Les Wicks, poet and editor
- 5 August – Christine Harris, writer for children
- 14 September – Geraldine Brooks, novelist
- Candida Baker, novelist and anthologist
- Adrian Caesar, poet
- Martin Flanagan, journalist
- Michael Gow, playwright
- Jennifer Harrison, poet
- Gail Jones, novelist
- Steven Paulsen, sf writer
- Peter Rose, poet and editor
A list, ordered by date of death (and, if the date is either unspecified or repeated, ordered alphabetically by surname) of deaths in 1955 of Australian literary figures, authors of written works or literature-related individuals follows, including year of birth.
- 19 January – Kenneth Mackenzie, poet and novelist (born 1913)
- 10 March – Brian Vrepont, poet (born 1882)
- 30 December – Rex Ingamells, poet (born 1913)