1956–57 Dumbarton F.C. season
|Stadium||Boghead Park, Dumbarton|
|Scottish League Division 2||9th|
|Scottish Cup||Seventh Round|
|Scottish League Cup||Prelims|
League: Hugh Gallacher (28)|
All: Hugh Gallacher (37)
Season 1956–57 was the 73rd football season in which Dumbarton competed at a Scottish national level, entering the Scottish Football League for the 51st time, the Scottish Cup for the 62nd time and the Scottish League Cup for the 10th time.
By coming so close to promotion the previous season, confidence was high to mount a serious challenge on the Division 2 title. However, despite breaking the 100 goals scored in a league season for the first time, the 70 against was never going to be 'championship material' and only a 9th place was achieved with 38 points, 26 behind runaway winners Clyde.
In the Scottish Cup, however, two Division 1 clubs were defeated en route to a quarter final against Raith Rovers.
Dumbarton returned to old habits in the League Cup by failing to qualify from their section, although it was their poor home performances which were to count against them this season.
It was however the Stirlingshire Cup which was to bring some cheer, as an aggregate win over Alloa Athletic was to bring the cup home to Dumbarton for the second time.
All results are written with Dumbarton's score first.
|22 August 1956||Cowdenbeath||A||1-2||Whalen|
|5 September 1956||Hamilton||H||2-0||Gallacher,H;McKeown|
|8 September 1956||Stenhousemuir||A||3-1||Brown(2);Whalen|
|12 September 1956||Hamilton||A||1-1||Rollo||5,000|
|15 September 1956||East Stirling||H||3-2||Kiernan(2);Hunter|
|19 September 1956||Cowdenbeath||H||2-3||Kiernan;Hunter|
|22 September 1956||Stirling Albion||A||1-3||Hunter||5,500|
|29 September 1956||Berwick Rangers||H||4-0||Brown;Whalen;Kiernan;;Glover||4,300|
|6 October 1956||Stranraer||A||4-5||Kiernan(3);OG|
|13 October 1956||Third Lanark||H||0-1||6,000|
|20 October 1956||Clyde||H||2-3||Gallacher,H;Rollo||8,000|
|27 October 1956||Arbroath||A||2-3||Gallacher,H(2)|
|3 November 1956||Forfar Athletic||A||2-0||Gallacher,H;Gallagher||1,600|
|10 November 1956||Brechin City||H||2-2||Cairns;Whalen|
|17 November 1956||Montrose||H||7-0||Brown(3);Auld(2);Craig;Heaney|
|24 November 1956||Morton||A||1-1||Gallacher,H||2,000|
|8 December 1956||Dundee United||H||3-2||Auld(2);Brown||5,000|
|15 December 1956||Alloa Athletic||A||3-2||Gallacher,H(2);Brown|
|22 December 1956||Albion Rovers||H||8-1||Gallacher,H(5);Brown;Heaney;Auld|
|29 December 1956||Clyde||A||3-5||Gallacher,H;Heaney;Auld||9,000|
|1 January 1957||Stirling Albion||H||1-3||Whalen|
|2 January 1957||East Stirling||A||2-3||Cairns;Brown|
|5 January 1957||Stenhousemuir||H||6-2||Brown(3);Gallacher,H;Gibson;Kiernan|
|12 January 1957||Berwick Rangers||A||0-1|
|19 January 1957||Stranraer||H||4-1||Gallacher,H(2);Brown;Cairns|
|26 January 1957||Third Lanark||A||0-7||6,000|
|9 February 1957||St Johnstone||H||4-1||Gallacher,H(2);Gallagher;Brown|
|6 March 1957||Arbroath||H||3-1||Gibson;Gallacher,H;Auld|
|9 March 1957||Brechin City||A||1-4||Rollo|
|16 March 1957||Montrose||A||6-1||Rollo;Brown;Gibson;Gallacher,H;Gallagher;Auld|
|23 March 1957||Morton||H||2-2||Gallacher,H;Brown||5,000|
|10 April 1957||Forfar Athletic||H||5-1||Cairns;Brown;Gibson;;Gallacher,H;McKeown|
|13 April 1957||Alloa Athletic||H||5-0||Gibson(2);Gallacher,H(2);Brown|
|17 April 1957||Dundee United||A||1-3||OG||1,500|
|20 April 1957||Albion Rovers||A||1-3||McCall|
|24 April 1957||St Johnstone||A||6-0||Gallacher,H(3);Gibson(2);McKeown|
|2 February 1957||5||Queen of the South||A||2-2||Gallacher,H;Brown||7,199|
|6 February 1957||5R||Queen of the South||H||4-2||McCall;Gibson;Gallacher,H;Whalen||5,700|
|16 February 1957||6||Motherwell||A||3-1||Gibson(2);Cairns||16,000|
|2 March 1957||7||Raith Rovers||H||0-4||18,001|
Scottish League Cup
|11 August 1956||P||Brechin City||H||1-8||Gallacher,H||6,000|
|15 August 1956||P||Hamilton||A||3-5||Gallacher,H(2);Whalen|
|18 August 1956||P||Alloa Athletic||H||1-1||Gallacher,H|
|25 August 1956||P||Brechin City||A||4-3||Gallacher,H(2);Hunter;McCall|
|29 August 1956||P||Hamilton||H||3-4||Whalen(3)||5,000|
|1 September 1956||P||Alloa Athletic||A||3-1||Rollo;Gallacher,H;Glover|
|29 April 1957||F1||Alloa Athletic||H||4-2||Auld;Gallacher,H(2);Whalen|
|30 April 1957||F2||Alloa Athletic||A||1-1||Gallacher,H|
|23 January 1957||Celtic||H||2-5||Gallacher,H(2)||7,000|
|1 April 1957||Combined Services XI||H||2-2||Gallacher,H;Brown|
|No.||Pos||Nat||Player||Total||Second Division||Scottish Cup||League Cup|
Amongst those players joining and leaving the club were the following:
Dumbarton played a 'reserve' team in the Alliance League, which was set up for Division 2 sides. The season was split into two 'series' - with Dumbarton winning the First Series (with 6 wins and 2 draws from 10 games) and finishing as runners up in the Second (with 6 wins and 3 draws from 12 games).
* The league match against Montrose on 17 November marked John McKay's 100th appearance for Dumbarton in all national competitions - the 41st Dumbarton player to reach this milestone.
* The league match against Stirling Albion on 1 January marked Hugh Gallacher's 100th appearance for Dumbarton in all national competitions - the 42nd Dumbarton player to reach this milestone.
* The Scottish Cup tie against Queen of the South on 2 February marked John McCall's 100th appearance for Dumbarton in all national competitions - the 43rd Dumbarton player to reach this milestone.
* The Scottish Cup quarter final tie against Raith Rovers attracted a crowd of 18,001 to Boghead, which still stands as the record home attendance.
* Dumbarton broke both the goals for and goals against 'centuries' during the season. By scoring 134 goals in all games, this was the ninth time that the 'century - for' had been broken, and by conceding 109, this was the 15th time that the 'century - against' had been broken.
* Boghead had floodlights installed during the season, and the friendly against Celtic was played to celebrate the 'switch on'.
- McAllister, Jim (2002). The Sons of the Rock - The Official History of Dumbarton Football Club. Dumbarton: J&J Robertson Printers.
- Litster, John. Record of Post-War Scottish League Players. Norwich: PM Publications.
- Alex McNeill (Dumbarton Football Club Historical Archive)
- Eddie O'Donnell (Dumbarton Football Club Historical Archive)
- Joe Gallacher (Dumbarton Football Club Historical Archive)
- Willie Neilson (Dumbarton Football Club Historical Archive)
- Jim Hunter (Dumbarton Football Club Historical Archive)
- Jimmy Mann (Dumbarton Football Club Historical Archive)
- John Gallagher (Dumbarton Football Club Historical Archive)
- Bobby Gibson (Dumbarton Football Club Historical Archive)
- John Glover (Dumbarton Football Club Historical Archive)
- John Heaney (Dumbarton Football Club Historical Archive)
- Hendry (Dumbarton Football Club Historical Archive)
- Billy McKeown (Dumbarton Football Club Historical Archive)
- Alex Stewart (Dumbarton Football Club Historical Archive)
- Scottish Football Historical Archive