1956 in Australian literature
This article presents a list of the historical events and publications of Australian literature during 1956.
For an overview of world literature see 1956 in literature.
- Miles Franklin – Gentlemen at Gyang Gyang : A Tale of the Jumbuck Pads on the Summer Runs
- Nevil Shute – Beyond the Black Stump
- Randolph Stow – A Haunted Land
- Kylie Tennant – The Honey Flow
- E. V. Timms – Shining Harvest
- Arthur Upfield – Man of Two Tribes
- F. B. Vickers – First Place to a Stranger
- Morris West
- Gallows on the Sand
- Ethel Anderson – At Parramatta
- Leon Gellert – Year After Year
- Alan Marshall – How's Andy Going?
- Katharine Susannah Prichard – "N'Goola"
- David Rowbotham – Town and City : tales and sketches
- Judith Wright – "The Vineyard Woman"
Children's and Young Adult fiction
- Mavis Thorpe Clark – The Brown Land Was Green
- Bruce Beaver – "Cow Dance"
- David Campbell – The Miracle of Mullion Hill : Poems
- Rosemary Dobson – "Cock Crow"
- R. D. Fitzgerald – "This Night's Orbit"
- Mary Gilmore – "The Waradgery Tribe"
- Gwen Harwood – "The Old Wife's Tale"
- James McAuley
- A Vision of Ceremony : Poems
- Ronald McCuaig – "Betty by the Sea"
- J. S. Manifold – "Fife Tune"
- Vivian Smith
- "For My Daughter"
- The Other Meaning
- Douglas Stewart – "A Country Song"
- Judith Wright
- A Book of Australian Verse (edited)
- "The Forest"
- Charmian Clift – Mermaid Singing
- Ion Idriess – The Silver City
- Jack Lang – I Remember
- Ruth Park & D'Arcy Niland – The Drums Go Bang!
Awards and honours
|ALS Gold Medal||Not awarded|
Children's and Young Adult
|Children's Book of the Year Award||Older Readers||Patricia Wrightson, illustrated by Margaret Horder||The Crooked Snake||Angus and Robertson|
|Picture Book||Peggy Barnard, illustrated by Sheila Hawkins||Wish and the Magic Nut||John Sands|
|Grace Leven Prize for Poetry||Not awarded|
A list, ordered by date of birth (and, if the date is either unspecified or repeated, ordered alphabetically by surname) of births in 1956 of Australian literary figures, authors of written works or literature-related individuals follows, including year of death.
A list, ordered by date of death (and, if the date is either unspecified or repeated, ordered alphabetically by surname) of deaths in 1956 of Australian literary figures, authors of written works or literature-related individuals follows, including year of birth.
- 25 August – Lilian Turner, writer for children (born 1867)