1966 in Australian literature
This article presents a list of the historical events and publications of Australian literature during 1966.
For an overview of world literature see 1966 in literature.
- James Aldridge
- My Brother Tom
- The Statesman's Games
- Jon Cleary
- Peter Cowan – Seed
- Elizabeth Harrower – The Watch Tower
- Shirley Hazzard – The Evening of the Holiday
- Morris Lurie – Rappaport
- Peter Mathers – Trap
- Christina Stead – Dark Places of the Heart
- Arthur Upfield – The Lake Frome Monster
- Judah Waten – Season of Youth
- Patrick White – The Solid Mandala
- James Hackston – Father Clears Out
- Elizabeth Harrower – "The Beautiful Climate"
- D'Arcy Niland – Pairs and Loners
- Patrick White – "The Full Belly"
- Judith Wright – The Nature of Love
Children's and Young Adult fiction
- Mavis Thorpe Clark – The Min-Min
- Max Fatchen – The River Kings
- Elyne Mitchell – Silver Brumby Kingdom
- Ruth Park
- The Muddle-Headed Wombat at School
- The Muddle-Headed Wombat in the Snow
- Joan Phipson – The Crew of the Merlin
- Judith Wright – The River and the Road
- Vincent Buckley – Arcady and Other Places : Poems
- Bruce Dawe – "The Not-So-Good Earth"
- William Hart-Smith – The Talking Clothes: Poems
- Dorothy Hewett – "Legend of the Green Country"
- A. D. Hope – Collected Poems 1930 - 1965
- Les Murray – "Evening Alone at Bunyah"
- Oodgeroo Noonuccal – "No More Boomerang"
- Judith Wright – The Other Half : Poems
Awards and honours
|ALS Gold Medal||A. D. Hope|
|Miles Franklin Award||Peter Mathers||Trap||Cassell|
Children and Young Adult
|Children's Book of the Year Award||Older Readers||Ivan Southall||Ash Road||Angus and Robertson|
|Picture Book||No award|
|Grace Leven Prize for Poetry||William Hart-Smith||The Talking Clothes: Poems||Angus and Robertson|
A list, ordered by date of birth (and, if the date is either unspecified or repeated, ordered alphabetically by surname) of births in 1966 of Australian literary figures, authors of written works or literature-related individuals follows, including year of death.
- Delia Falconer, novelist
- Kate Forsyth, novelist
- Anna Funder, novelist
- Malcolm Knox, novelist
- Andrew McGahan, novelist
A list, ordered by date of death (and, if the date is either unspecified or repeated, ordered alphabetically by surname) of deaths in 1966 of Australian literary figures, authors of written works or literature-related individuals follows, including year of birth.