1970 in Australian literature
This article presents a list of the historical events and publications of Australian literature during 1970.
For an overview of world literature see 1970 in literature.
- Jessica Anderson – The Last Man's Head
- Jon Cleary – Helga's Web
- Geoffrey Dutton – Tamara
- Catherine Gaskin – Fiona
- Shirley Hazzard – The Bay of Noon
- Barry Oakley – A Salute to the Great Macarthy
- Dal Stivens – A Horse of Air
- Colin Thiele – Labourers in the Vineyard
- Patrick White – The Vivisector
- Murray Bail – "Paradise"
- Alexandra Hasluck – Of Ladies Dead : Stories Not in the Modern Manner
- Frank Moorhouse – "The Coca-Cola Kid"
- Hal Porter – Mr Butterfly and Other Tales of New Japan
Children's and Young Adult fiction
- Hesba Brinsmead – Listen to the Wind
- Mavis Thorpe Clark – Iron Mountain
- Max Fatchen – Conquest of the River
- Lilith Norman – Climb a Lonely Hill
- Ruth Park
- The Muddle-Headed Wombat in the Springtime
- The Muddle-Headed Wombat on the River
- Joan Phipson – The Haunted House
- Ivan Southall
- Bread and Honey
- Chinaman's Reef is Ours
Science fiction and fantasy
- Jack Davis – The First-Born and Other Poems
- Michael Dransfield – "Fix"
- Robert Gray – "Journey : The North Coast"
- Rodney Hall – Heaven, in a Way
- A. D. Hope – Dunciad Minor
- David Malouf – Bicycle and Other Poems
- Peter Porter – The Last of England
- David Rowbotham – The Makers of the Ark : Poems
- Kath Walker – My People : A Kath Walker Collection
- David Williamson – The Coming of Stork
Awards and honours
|ALS Gold Medal||Manning Clark|
|Colin Roderick Award||Margaret Lawne||Myths and Legends of Torres Strait||University of Queensland Press|
|Miles Franklin Award||Dal Stivens||A Horse of Air||Angus and Robertson|
Children and Young Adult
|Children's Book of the Year Award||Older Readers||Annette Macarthur-Onslow||Uhu||Ure Smith|
|Picture Book||No award|
|Grace Leven Prize for Poetry||Bruce Beaver||Letters to Live Poets||South Head Press|
A list, ordered by date of birth (and, if the date is either unspecified or repeated, ordered alphabetically by surname) of births in 1970 of Australian literary figures, authors of written works or literature-related individuals follows, including year of death.
- 8 June – Paul Haines, short story writer (died 2012)
- Lee Battersby, novelist and short story writer
- Julia Leigh, novelist and script writer
- Martin Livings, short story writer
- Caroline Overington, novelist and journalist
A list, ordered by date of death (and, if the date is either unspecified or repeated, ordered alphabetically by surname) of deaths in 1970 of Australian literary figures, authors of written works or literature-related individuals follows, including year of birth.
- 1 May – Nan Chauncy, writer for children (born 1900)
- 24 May – Frank Dalby Davison, novelist and short story writer
- 22 July – George Johnston, novelist (born 1912)
- 1970 in literature
- 1970 in poetry
- List of years in literature
- List of years in Australian literature