1971 in Australian literature
This article presents a list of the historical events and publications of Australian literature during 1971.
For an overview of world literature see 1971 in literature.
- Jon Cleary – Mask of the Andes
- Kenneth Cook – Piper in the Market-Place
- Dymphna Cusack – A Bough in Hell
- Frank Hardy – The Outcasts of Foolgarah
- Donald Horne – But What If There Are No Pelicans?
- David Ireland – The Unknown Industrial Prisoner
- George Johnston – A Cartload of Clay
- Thomas Keneally – A Dutiful Daughter
- Hal Porter – The Right Thing
- Judah Waten – So Far No Further
- Morris West – Summer of the Red Wolf
Children's and Young Adult fiction
- Hesba Brinsmead – Longtime Passing
- David Martin – Hughie
- Christobel Mattingley – Windmill at Magpie Creek
- Elyne Mitchell – Light Horse to Damascus
- Ivan Southall – Josh
- P. L. Travers – Friend Monkey
Science fiction and fantasy
- John Baxter – The Second Pacific Book of Science Fiction
- A. Bertram Chandler
- Alternate Orbits
- To Prime the Pump
- Lindsay Gutteridge – Cold War in a Country Garden
- Lee Harding – "Fallen Spaceman"
- Jack Wodhams – The Authentic Touch
- Robert Adamson – The Rumour
- Bruce Dawe – Condolences of the Season : Selected Poems
- Gwen Harwood – "Oyster Cove"
- A. D. Hope – "Inscription for a War"
- James McAuley – Collected Poems 1936-1970
- Dorothea Mackellar – The Poems of Dorothea Mackellar
- Geoff Page – "Smalltown Memorials"
- David Rowbotham – The Pen of Feathers : Poems
- T. G. H. Strehlow – Songs of Central Australia (edited)
- Chris Wallace-Crabbe
- "Other People"
- Where the Wind Came : poems
- Judith Wright – Collected Poems, 1942-1970
- Alex Buzo – Macquarie : A Play
- Ray Lawler – The Man Who Shot the Albatross
- David Williamson
Awards and honours
|ALS Gold Medal||Colin Badger|
|Colin Roderick Award||Geoffrey Serle||The Rush to be Rich||Melbourne University Press|
|Miles Franklin Award||David Ireland||The Unknown Industrial Prisoner||Angus and Robertson|
Children and Young Adult
|Children's Book of the Year Award||Older Readers||Ivan Southall||Bread and Honey||Angus and Robertson|
|Picture Book||A. B. Paterson, illustrated by Desmond Digby||Waltzing Matilda||Collins|
|Grace Leven Prize for Poetry||Judith Wright||Collected Poems, 1942-1970||Angus and Robertson|
|James McAuley||Collected Poems 1936-1970||Angus and Robertson|
A list, ordered by date of birth (and, if the date is either unspecified or repeated, ordered alphabetically by surname) of births in 1971 of Australian literary figures, authors of written works or literature-related individuals follows, including year of death.
A list, ordered by date of death (and, if the date is either unspecified or repeated, ordered alphabetically by surname) of deaths in 1971 of Australian literary figures, authors of written works or literature-related individuals follows, including year of birth.
- 30 June – Kenneth Slessor, poet (born 1901)
- 1971 in literature
- 1971 in poetry
- List of years in literature
- List of years in Australian literature