2014 in Turkey
|See also:||List of years in Turkey|
The following lists events in the year 2014 in Turkey.
- President: Abdullah Gül (until 28 August), Recep Tayyip Erdoğan (starting 28 August)
- Prime Minister: Recep Tayyip Erdoğan (until 28 August), Ahmet Davutoğlu (starting 28 August)
- 3 January – Turkish lira falls on world currency markets following moves by Central Bank to halt capital flight and strong criticism by Prime Minister Erdogan.
- 20 January – Two car bombs kill at least 16 people in an attack on a border post on the Turkish-Syrian border.
- 28 January – Turkish lira and other emerging market currencies fall further, despite doubling of interest rate by Central Bank.
- 7 February – A plane is forced to land in Turkey following a bomb threat from a passenger on board a flight from Kharkov in Ukraine.
- 9 February – Tear gas and water cannons used by the Erdoğan government against street protests against his government's internet restrictions.
- 10 February – Stalled negotiations over Cyprus resume between Turkish and Greek governments.
- 13 May – an underground coal fire at a mine in Soma, Manisa, killing 301 people.
- 24 May – The 6.9 Mw Aegean Sea earthquake shook the area with a maximum Mercalli intensity of VIII (Severe). Three-hundred and twenty-four were injured.
- 10 July – Turkey's Premier Is Proclaimed Winner of 2014 Turkish Presidential Election. Erdoğan's presidential win.
- 10 October – 36 killed during mass protests across Turkey in protests over Ankara's policies towards the ISIL.
- 1 November – Turkey breaks from its policy of preventing Kurdish fighters from entering Syria and allows 150 Iraqi Peshmerga to cross into Kobanê.
- 3 November – A small boat carrying asylum seekers sinks in the Black Sea near Istanbul resulting in at least 21 deaths.
- 28 November – Pope Francis visits Turkey, calling for interfaith dialogue and an end to Islamic extremism, and meeting with President Recep Tayyip Erdoğan and Bartholomew I of Constantinople.
- 1 December – Russia abandons its plans for the South Stream pipeline to Bulgaria due to European Union objections instead looking at a pipeline to Turkey.
- 8 January – Selçuk Uluergüven, 73, actor.
- 22 February – Behsat Üvez, 53, singer-songwriter (lung cancer)
- 11 March – Berkin Elvan, 15, student.
- 20 June – Murat Sökmenoğlu, 69, politician
- Larry Elliott (29 January 2014). "Emerging markets crisis sees rush for safe havens". Guardian.
- "Sixteen killed by twin bombs at Syria-Turkey border post". Reuters. Reuters. 20 January 2014. Retrieved 13 June 2015.
- Fulya Ozerkan (29 January 2014). "Turkish rate boost to lira fizzles out". News Yahoo.
- Harriet Alexander (7 February 2014). "Winter Olympics: Bomb threat forces plane from Ukraine to land in Turkey after hijack attempt". The Telegraph.
- Ece Toksabay (22 February 2014). "Police fire tear gas at Istanbul anti-government protest". Reuters.
- Helena Smith (10 February 2014). "High stakes as Greeks and Turks revive Cyprus peace talks". Guardian.
- Courtney Trenwith (8 June 2014). "Turkey starts work on huge new Istanbul airport". ConstructionWeekOnline.com.
- Ceylan Yeginsu (10 August 2014). "Turkey's Premier Is Proclaimed Winner of Presidential Election". The New York Times.
- "Recep Tayyip Erdogan wins Turkish presidential election". BBC. 10 August 2014.