All About You (Hilary Duff song)
|"All About You"|
|Single by Hilary Duff|
|from the album Breathe In. Breathe Out. (Japanese Edition)|
|Released||August 12, 2014|
|Hilary Duff singles chronology|
"All About You" is a song recorded by American singer Hilary Duff from her fifth studio album Breathe In. Breathe Out. (2015). The song was released on August 12, 2014 by RCA Records, as the second single following the lead single, "Chasing the Sun". Written by Duff, Kristian Lundin, Savan Kotecha, and Carl Falk, "All About You" a folk pop and pop rock song, having a banjo, handclaps, and a "heavy hand" drum as the song's instrumentation. Lyrically, the song talks about how the protagonist is so hooked on her boyfriend that she is willing to prove her true love for him anywhere.
Critics found similarities between "All About You" and songs from Taylor Swift and The Lumineers. The song became more successful than "Chasing the Sun" in Australia, where it managed to reach the top 20, the first time a Duff song had done so in nine years. Elsewhere, it had less impact, failing to enter the Billboard Hot 100 but managing to chart on the Bubbling Under Hot 100 Singles and Top 40 Mainstream.
Duff released a lyric video for the song, where she appeared seducing the camera, with a succession of extreme close-ups of Duff. The official music video was directed by Declan Whitebloom and it finds the singer chasing a guy she meets at a diner, while also doing a choreography with her dancers. The singer has promoted the track with some live performances on The X Factor (Australia), Good Morning America and Live with Kelly & Michael.
Background and release
After spending six years without releasing new music, Duff announced she was recording her upcoming new album. "I'm working with a lot of people. I'm still writing, so that process is still going on," she told MTV News during the 2014 iHeartRadio Music Awards red carpet. She also described the album as an "earthy, indie-pop vibe" and that a new single was going to be out "soon". On July 29, 2014, Duff released "Chasing the Sun" as the project's buzz-single. The song received mostly favorable reviews from music critics, and debuted at number 79 on the Billboard Hot 100 chart. However, less than a month after the release of "Chasing the Sun", Duff announced that she would release a new single called "All About You" on August 11, 2014. Additionally, she tweeted out the cover art for the song, featuring Duff "looking boho chic in a black hat, low-cut black dress, capelet and lots of silver rings", as described by Jocelyn Vena from Billboard.
"All About You" is a folk pop and pop rock song with an approximate length of two minutes and fory-two seconds. The song was written by Hilary Duff, Kristian Lundin, Savan Kotecha and Carl Falk. Its instrumentation consists of a banjo, handclaps, and the "heavy hand" of a drum, which according to Carolyn Menyes of Music Times, results in the song sounding like "a big ol' stomping party". Seventeen magazine's Kristin Harris found the song to sound like a mix of Taylor Swift, The Lumineers, and "old-school Hilary". Emily Blake of MTV News echoed the same thought, writing that the guitar-driven track starts out like a Lumineers or Mumford & Sons joint but noticing that it "builds into something far more peppy, poppy and, well, Hilary Duff."
Lyrically, "All About You" incorporates romantic innuendos, with Duff talking about how hooked she is on her boyfriend, and she is willing to prove her true love for him by "turning the lights down" and going to action. "Think you're all about me / But I'm all about you," she sings. "Turn the lights down let me show you it's true / Get a lot of taste what I'm into." For Emily Blake, the song is about "that honeymoon-phase kind of love — the kind of feeling when you're addicted to thinking about someone new." Lucas Villa of AXS noted that "lyrically and vocally, Hilary shows a more mature side to herself on 'All About You'."
The song received universal acclaim from music critics. According to Nolan Feeney of Time magazine, "All About You" is in the "same twangy folk-pop vein" as "Chasing the Sun", but that it is a "huge improvement", writing that "All About You" has the "kind of rowdy punch" that is required to get a comeback "really cooking". He wrote that while comparisons to Taylor Swift are inevitable, Duff's "nod to her Texan roots" is "attention-grabbing" and effortless. Feeney concluded that "the world should have heard this one first". Jason Lipshutz of Billboard praised the song, naming it "a no-nonsense pop tour de force," [with] the folk undertones, handclaps, shout-along chorus and deliriously enjoyable melodies [that] make this the winning comeback bid that Duff fans were hoping to hear when she announced her return to music."
Carolyn Menyes of Music Times praised Duff's voice for "wander[ing] into its own territory, playing against the music and making an irresistible combination." Menyes also praised the "sing along 'Hey baby baby' refrain in the pre-chorus," noting that "it's nearly impossible not to at least bop your head to the powerful chorus." Lucas Villa of AXS pointed out that the song "certainly sounds like it could be Hilary's next big hit," while Mike Wass of Idolator classified the song as "the kind of sassy, sing-a-long summer anthem we've been expecting from the pop deity who brought us classics like 'So Yesterday' and 'Come Clean'." Michelle McGahan of Pop Crush was complimentary with the folk-rock tone for "add[ing] a rich depth and maturity to Duff's sound [...] that is only enhanced by the slightly provocative lyrics."
In Australia, "All About You" made its debut on the ARIA Charts at number 21, during the week of September 21, 2014. It later climbed to number 20, becoming Duff's first top-twenty hit in nine years in the country, with the last being "Beat of My Heart" (2005). It was certified gold by the Australian Recording Industry Association for shipments of 35,000 copies, becoming her first certified single there in ten years. Elsewhere, the song received little impact on the charts, reaching number 91 on the Canadian Hot 100 chart, lower than her previous single, "Chasing the Sun", and failing to debut on the US Billboard Hot 100 chart, though it did reach number 19 on the Bubbling Under Hot 100 Singles extension. It fared better on some Billboard component charts, including the Pop Songs, where it has reached number 38.
On August 19, 2014, Duff released a lyric video for "All About You" on YouTube. The lyric video features a succession of extreme close-ups of Duff belting the lyrics appearing to be in the nude, while also having dancing embers and subtle flashes of orbs, as noted by Marc Inocencio from Ryan Seacrest.com. Bradley Stern of Idolator praised the lyric video for showing a sexy side of Duff, and she herself was praised for "actually appearing in the song's lyric video." Mandi Salemo of Pop Crush complimented the lyric video, calling it "a cute, flirtatious vid that Hilary looks gorgeous in (of course), and it makes us even more excited to see what the actual music video will be like."
Duff wrote on her Twitter account on 4 September that she was filming the single's music video, which was directed by Declan Whitebloom, whom Duff previously worked with on the video for "Chasing the Sun". Based on paparazzi photographs, Duff was seen wearing a short skirt and fishnets, sitting in a golden Mercedes-Benz convertible other than dancing with several backup dancers. On September 18, 2014, Duff posted a picture on her Twitter account in which she said the video was going to be released on September 24. She also revealed that the video was going to have choreography, declaring: "The choreography was actually pretty easy, but it was a lot of rehearsals and I wanted to be so particular because I'm not, like, a dancer and I didn't want to be, like, super-sexy time dancing. I wanted something different about it that was more me," she told MTV News. As described by Thomas Chau of Pop Crush:
"The Cinderella-esque video begins with Duff innocently sitting in a diner when glances across and sees a hunky guy not far from her. She snaps a photo of the guy to share with her friends but before she's able to say anything, he leaves behind a record. Duff and her girlfriends vow to help her find the guy and armed with only the record and her cell photo of him, she embarks on a trip to find the guy that stole her heart."
Duff performed "All About You" live for the first time on The X Factor Australia on September 8, 2014. The following day, Duff presented an acoustic version of the single on "Take 40 Australia". She also performed the song on Australian television talkshow Sunrise on September 11, 2014. Duff sang the song for the first time, on live television in the US, on Good Morning America on October 7, 2014 and on Live! With Kelly and Michael on October 8, 2014.
Credits and personnel
- Songwriting – Hilary Duff, Kristian Lundin, Savan Kotecha, Carl Falk
- Production – Kristian Lundin, Carl Falk
- Guitar – Carl Falk
- Engineering – Cory Bice, John Hanes
- Mixing – Serban Ghenea
Credits adapted from Qobuz.com
|Canada (Canadian Hot 100)||91|
|Czech Republic (Singles Digitál Top 100)||60|
|Mexico Ingles Airplay (Billboard)||27|
|Slovakia (Singles Digitál Top 100)||69|
|US Bubbling Under Hot 100 Singles (Billboard)||19|
|US Mainstream Top 40 (Billboard)||38|
^shipments figures based on certification alone
|United States||August 12, 2014||Digital download||RCA|
|Austria||August 13, 2014||Sony|
|United States||August 26, 2014||Mainstream radio||RCA|
|Japan||October 22, 2014||Digital download||Sony|
|United Kingdom||July 6, 2015||RCA|
- McGahan, Michelle (August 21, 2014). "10 Things We Learned From This Amazing Hilary Duff Interview [VIDEO]". Pop Crush. Retrieved October 22, 2014.
- Lindner, Emilee (May 3, 2014). "You Might Want To Sit Down: Hilary Duff Is Recording An Ed Sheeran Song". MTV News. Retrieved October 21, 2014.
- Daw, Robbie (May 5, 2014). "Hilary Duff Recording A Song With Ed Sheeran, Says Single Out "Soon" & Album Out In The Fall". Idolator. Retrieved October 21, 2014.
- Menyes, Carolyn (July 28, 2014). "REVIEW: Hilary Duff 'Chasing The Sun' is Easy, Breezy, Innocent and Not a Comeback Single [LISTEN]". Music Times. Retrieved October 21, 2014.
- Peters, Mitchell (July 27, 2014). "Hilary Duff Teases New Single 'Chasing the Sun' with Beach Photos, Skywriting Promo: Listen". Billboard. Retrieved October 21, 2014.
- Stern, Bradley (July 28, 2014). "Hilary Duff's "Chasing The Sun": Review Revue". Idolator. Retrieved October 21, 2014.
- Lee, Christina (August 10, 2014). "Hilary Duff Announces New Single "All About You"". Idolator. Retrieved October 21, 2014.
- Vena, Jocelyn (August 9, 2014). "Hilary Duff Releases Cover Art For Single 'All About You'". Billboard. Retrieved October 21, 2014.
- Feeney, Nolan (August 12, 2014). "Hilary Duff's Comeback Gets Cooking With 'All About You'". Time. Retrieved October 31, 2014.
- Harris, Kristin (August 12, 2014). "Hilarry Duff "All About You" - Seventeen". Seventeen. Retrieved October 31, 2014.
- "Hilary Duff - All About You Lyrics". MetroLyrics. Retrieved November 1, 2014.
- Menyes, Carolyn (August 12, 2014). "Review:Hilary Duff New Single 'All About You' is Full of Hooks, Banjo and Sweetly Sexy Lyrics". Music Times. Retrieved October 31, 2014.
- Blake, Emily (August 12, 2014). "Hilary Duff Is 'All About You' On Her New Single". MTV News. Retrieved October 31, 2014.
- Inocencio, Marc (August 12, 2014). "Hilary Duff Unveils Infectious New Single 'All About You': Listen". Ryan Seacrest. Retrieved November 1, 2014.
- Villa, Lucas (August 12, 2014). "Listen: Hilary Duff releases her real comeback single 'All About You'". AXS. Retrieved November 1, 2014.
- Lipshut, Jason (August 12, 2014). "Hilary Duff Releases 'All About You' Single: Listen". Billboard. Retrieved November 1, 2014.
- Wass, Mike (August 11, 2014). "Hilary Duff Gets It Just Right On Super Catchy "All About You": Listen To Her New Single". Idolator. Retrieved November 1, 2014.
- McGahan, Michelle (August 12, 2014). "Hilary Duff Goes Folk-Rock in 'All About You' [LISTEN]". Pop Crush. Retrieved November 1, 2014.
- "Australian-charts.com – Hilary Duff – All About You". ARIA Top 50 Singles. Retrieved August 23, 2014.
- "ARIA Charts – Accreditations – 2014 Singles". Australian Recording Industry Association. Retrieved November 14, 2014.
- "Hilary Duff Chart History (Canadian Hot 100)". Billboard. Retrieved October 2, 2014.
- "Hilary Duff Chart History (Bubbling Under Hot 100)". Billboard. Retrieved November 3, 2014.
- "Hilary Duff Chart History (Pop Songs)". Billboard. Retrieved October 13, 2014.
- Stern, Bradley (August 19, 2014). "Hilary Duff Gets Sexy In "All About You" Lyric Video: Watch". Idolator. Retrieved August 19, 2014.
- Inocencio, Marc (August 19, 2014). "Hilary Duff Strips Down in 'All About You' Lyric Video". Ryan Seacrest. Retrieved November 1, 2014.
- Salemo, Mandi (August 19, 2014). "Hilary Duff Bares All in Her New Lyric Video 'All About You'". Pop Crush. Retrieved November 1, 2014.
- Pearson, Jennifer (September 5, 2014). "Hilary Duff gets frisky in fishnets and black shorts while filming her new music video... and husband Mike Comrie pays a visit too". Daily Mail. Retrieved November 1, 2014.
- Stern, Bradley (September 19, 2014). "All about you video". Twitter. Retrieved September 18, 2014.
- Garibaldi, Christina (September 23, 2014). "Hilary Duff May Be Dancing In 'All About You,' But Don't Expect The Video To Be 'Super Sexy Time'". MTV News. Retrieved November 1, 2014.
- Chau, Thomas (September 24, 2014). "Hilary Duff is Guy Crazy in 'All About You' Music Video Read More: Hilary Duff is Guy Crazy in 'All About You' Music Video". Pop Crush. Retrieved November 1, 2014.
- "Hilary Duff jets Down Under for promo tour". Yahoo!7. September 2, 2014. Retrieved September 26, 2014.
- "All About You - Hilary Duff". Qobuz.
- "ČNS IFPI" (in Czech). Hitparáda – Digital Top 100 Oficiální. IFPI Czech Republic. Note: insert 201440 into search. Retrieved October 7, 2014.
- "Hilary Duff – Chart history". Billboard Mexico Ingles Airplay for Hilary Duff. Retrieved December 14, 2016.
- "SNS IFPI" (in Slovak). Hitparáda – Singles Digital Top 100 Oficiálna. IFPI Czech Republic. Note: insert 201439 into search. Retrieved 30 September 2014.
- "All About You: Hilary Duff: MP3 Downloads". Amazon.com. Retrieved August 10, 2014.
- "All About You: Hilary Duff: MP3 Downloads" (in German). Amazon.de. Retrieved August 15, 2014.
- "All About You: Hilary Duff: MP3 Downloads" (in French). Amazon.fr. Retrieved August 12, 2014.
- "All About You: Hilary Duff: MP3 Downloads" (in Italian). Amazon.it. Retrieved August 12, 2014.
- "All About You: Hilary Duff: MP3 Downloads" (in Spanish). Amazon.es. Retrieved August 12, 2014.
- Co.,LTD., Label Gate. "音楽ダウンロード・音楽配信サイト mora ～WALKMAN®公式ミュージックストア～". mora ～WALKMAN®公式ミュージックストア～.
- "All About You" – via Amazon.