Anglo-European College of Chiropractic
The AECC University College formally known as the Anglo-European College of Chiropractic. AECC University College is a chiropractic teaching institution; the AECC was a higher education institution offering a Masters in Chiropractic degree validated by Bournemouth University. The AECC offered a BSc in Exercise Science jointly delivered with Bournemouth University and an Access to Higher Education Diploma in Health Sciences; the first chiropractic college in Europe, founded in 1965 the AECC University College has a unique history and a proud heritage. The continued investment in their on campus facilities has contributed to the awarding of university college status.
The AECC were granted their own taught degree-awarding powers in May 2016 and from September 2017 following a rebrand all new students entering the institution will enrol on courses that will be validated by AECC University College; this means that all the qualifications students receive at the end of their studies will in the future be made in the name of AECC University College. Courses that are run as of 17 October 2017 include: Masters in Chiropractic- MChiro (Hons), BSc (Hons) Clinical Exercise and Rehabilitation Science, Access to Higher Education Diploma (Health Sciences) and a number of Postgraduate opportunities and short courses in Ultrasound and CPD Seminars for healthcare professionals.
At the AECC the emphasis was on the teaching of chiropractic. Alongside the University of South Wales and the McTimoney College of Chiropractic, the former Anglo-European College of Chiropractic is one of only three institutions in the United Kingdom to offer chiropractic degrees recognised by the General Chiropractic Council.
The university college, which is located in Bournemouth on the south coast of England, was founded in 1965 and was the first chiropractic school in Europe to be recognised by the British Chiropractic Association (BCA). Fourteen students enrolled in the first class at AECC in the autumn of 1965, but only one went on to graduate in 1969. However, by the mid-1970s student numbers had grown so rapidly that the original building and teaching clinic were no longer sufficient. In the early 1980s, the chiropractic community rallied in support of AECC's purchase of the Boscombe Convent; the official opening of the AECC at its present location took place on 21 May 1982.
In 1988 the Council for National Academic Awards validated the AECC - now the first school in the field of complementary/alternative medicine in the UK to offer a validated degree.
In 2009 the college opened a state of the art, purpose-built 1500m² teaching clinic boasting 34 treatment rooms, a high-tech functional exercise and rehabilitation centre, diagnostic ultrasound, x-ray and fluoroscopy. The clinic is one of the largest in Europe, treating 55,000 people annually.
In 2011 110 students graduated from the Master in Chiropractic course and the college opened its first satellite clinic in Southampton.
In 2012 the AECC launched a new five year BSc-MSc Chiropractic course – the first of its kind providing three years BSc Human Sciences and two years MSc Chiropractic in a clinical setting.
In 2015 the AECC launched the Open Upright MRI scanner, one of only four in the United Kingdom. This allows patients to be scanned in different positions, such as flexion, extension, sitting or lying down and is particularly beneficial for people who suffer from claustrophobia.
In 2016 the AECC were granted their own Taught Degree-Awarding Powers
In 2017 the AECC became AECC University College, new logo and new name
Current undergraduate courses
Master of Chiropractic - MChiro (Hons) The AECC University College offer a 4 - 5 year chiropractic course in a clinical setting. To qualify as a chiropractor, new students are required to complete successfully the full-time Master of Chiropractic (Hons) degree.
BSc (Hons) Clinical Exercise and Rehabilitation Science The AECC University College offer (subject to validation) the BSc (Hons) Clinical Exercise and Rehabilitation Science degree course. New students are required to successfully complete the 3 year full-time degree.
Access to Higher Education Diploma (Health Sciences) The AECC University College offer the Access to Higher Education Diploma which is for those seeking access to health related higher education courses (degrees) such as chiropractic, exercise science, community health and rehabilitation, physiotherapy, osteopathy or health sciences. This course is part-time (Friday to Sunday) and covers the range of skills required to progress to further study once completed.
Current postgraduate courses
MSc Medical Ultrasound The AECC University College offer a part-time 4 year MSc in Medical Ultrasound in a clinical setting.
MSc advanced professional practice (MSc APP) The AECC University College offer a part-time MSc Advanced Professional Practice, with four separate pathways: Clinical Sciences, Paediatric Musculoskeletal Health, Functional Musculoskeletal Health, Musculoskeletal Neuroscience.
PgCert Professional Development Chiropractic The AECC University College offer a 1-year Pg Cert for those starting out in their chiropractic career.
Continuing professional development courses
The AECC University College offers a range of continuing professional development courses (CPD Seminars) including short courses and MSc programmes; the courses are offered to many different healthcare professionals including chiropractors, nurses, medical practitioners, osteopaths, physiotherapists, radiographers and exercise scientists.
Short courses in ultrasound
The AECC University College offers a range of short ultrasound courses for healthcare professionals, including: nurses, midwives, chiropractors, physiotherapists, sonographers, radiographers, rheumatologists, sport physicians, GPs, osteopaths, podiatrists, podiatric surgeons, urologists.
Housed within the AECC University College campus, the AECC University College Chiropractic clinic is one of the largest in Europe and houses 32 treatment rooms and fully equipped Exercise and Sport Performance Centres; the clinic is run by AECC faculty alongside final year students known as 'interns'. Interns in the clinic perform more than 55,000 treatments every year.
Exercise and Sport Performance Centre The Exercise Centre houses a range of strengthening and assessment tools. The room houses the following functional assessment equipment:
- Primus – isometric, isotonic and isokinetic assessment and training tool. Can target individual muscle groups or complete functional and sporting movements.
- MCU (multi-cervical unit) – used for neck isometric strength and range of motion testing, as well as for strengthening.
- Quintic – Biomechanical video analysis software. This has a high speed camera that can be slowed down and watched through a laptop and analysed using Quintic; this machine also has EMG (electromyography), which detects electrical activity in muscles so can be used to analyse muscle recruits and activation levels.
The AECC University College hosted the Icelandic Olympic track and field team prior to their participation in the London 2012 Games; the sport performance centre works with various sporting teams including Southampton FC, AFC Bournemouth, Bournemouth Rugby Football Club and The Seagulls.
School of Medical Ultrasound - Assessment and Research Centre for Ultrasound Studies
Student Union Facilities - Toggler's Arms and the Spine & Dine Refectory
Gymnasium The AECC University College gym has cardio facilities housing spinning bikes, rowing machines and a cross trainer. It also has a well equipped weights area and climbing wall; the gym is housed within a sports hall which is used for various activities including: netball, hockey, basketball, badminton, handball and football. It also hold various exercise classes through the week.
Library The AECC University College library houses a collection of printed books and journals. The library also provides online access to a large number of electronic resources, including databases, e-journals and e-books. Wi-Fi is available on campus as well as space to work independently or in groups. Laptops are also available for loan from the library. All students use learning portal Moodle, where teaching and learning resources are uploaded by faculty members. Students undertaking distance learning can submit work using this method.
Bournemouth Open Upright MRI The AECC University College is home to an open upright Magnetic Resonance Imaging (MRI) scanner which is housed in an extension to the current chiropractic clinic building. The scanner is one of only four open and upright scanners in the UK, and the only in existence in the South West.
- AECC. "About the AECC". AECC. AECC. Retrieved 23 August 2013.
- Bournemouth University. "Course Pages". Archived from the original on 23 August 2013. Retrieved 23 August 2013.
- AECC. "AECC History". AECC. AECC. Retrieved 23 August 2013.
- "Taught Degree Awarding Powers Explanation". Archived from the original on 10 August 2014. Retrieved 17 October 2017.
- "AECC University College Rebrand" (PDF). AECC University College. 7 September 2017. Retrieved 17 October 2017.
- "We built a University College". 5 September 2017. Retrieved 17 October 2017.
- GCC. "Which institutions offer recognised chiropractic degrees?". Retrieved 23 August 2013.
- WCCS. "Anglo European College of Chiropractic". WCCS. Retrieved 23 August 2013.
- AECC. "History of the AECC". Archived from the original on 14 November 2013. Retrieved 23 August 2013.
- "Taught Degree Awarding Powers". Retrieved 17 October 2017.
- "AECC University College". AECC University College. Retrieved 17 October 2017.
- "Master of Chiropractic - MChiro (Hons)". AECC University College. Retrieved 12 December 2017.
- "BSc (Hons) Clinical Exercise and Rehabilitation Science". AECC University College. Retrieved 12 December 2017.
- "Access to Higher Education Diploma Health Sciences". AECC University College. Retrieved 12 December 2017.
- "MSc Medical Ultrasound". AECC University College. Retrieved 12 December 2017.
- "MSc Advanced Professional Practice". AECC University College. Retrieved 12 December 2017.
- "Pg Cert Professional Development Chiropractic". AECC University College. Retrieved 12 December 2017.
- "CPD Seminars". AECC University College. Retrieved 12 December 2017.
- "Ultrasound Short Courses". AECC University College. Retrieved 12 December 2017.
- "Chiropractic Clinic". AECC University College. Retrieved 12 December 2017.
- "AECC University College Ultrasound Clinic". AECC University College. Retrieved 12 December 2017.
- "AECC University College Student Union". AECC University College. Retrieved 12 December 2017.
- "AECC University College Library". AECC University College. Retrieved 12 December 2017.
- "Bournemouth Open Upright MRI". AECC University College. Retrieved 12 December 2017.