Billy Reid (fashion designer)
Billy Reid (born June 13, 1964) is an American fashion designer based in Florence, Alabama. His line includes men's, women's, accessories and eyewear. His clothing, self-described as “lived-in luxury” and "broken-in luxury", is known for its classic styles in high quality fabrics with unusual accents and Southern influence. Reid summarizes his brand's concept as "American luxury built to last." Billy Reid, Marc Jacobs, Tom Ford, and Michael Kors are the only fashion designers who have won 3 or more CFDA Awards.
Early life and education
Reid grew up in Amite, Louisiana, just south of the Mississippi border. He helped his mother operate a women’s clothing boutique located in his grandmother’s home. Reid's hobbies included outdoor activities in the surrounding Southeast Louisiana wetlands. Originally wanting to become a football coach during his youth, Reid attended Southeastern Louisiana University and then the Art Institute of Dallas to study fashion design and merchandising. While still at the Art Institute, he started working for Saks Fifth Avenue. After his time at Saks, Reid worked for 6 years at Reebok International, travelling across the globe for the first collections of Australian golfer Greg Norman. He later did freelance design for Fruit of the Loom, Neiman Marcus, and J. C. Penney.
Reid originally launched his men's collection under the William Reid label in March 1998. When Reid started the business in 1998, it was a one-man operation; he lived in the Garment Center, while a room at the Chelsea Hotel served as an office, studio and showroom. The William Reid brand was focused on wholesale account partnerships rather than directly-owned retail stores; the Fred Segal and Stanley Korshak stores were the main wholesale partners (Stanley Korshak also carries Kiton, Isaia, Brioni, Belvest, Brunello Cucinelli, and Ermenegildo Zegna). Reid received the CFDA Best New Menswear Designer award in 2001. The brand held a successful runway show on September 10, 2001, but economic effects arising from the September 11 attacks forced him to close the business in Spring 2002. Reid then moved to Florence, Alabama, his wife's hometown, where she grew up in a household of nine children. Florence is just across the Tennessee River from Muscle Shoals, famous for its recording studio, where The Rolling Stones, Elton John, Willie Nelson, Paul Simon, Bob Dylan, and others have recorded. At the 2010 census, the population of Muscle Shoals was 13,146. The estimated population in 2015 was 13,706.
Reid's post-9/11 business model built up a small namesake chain of shops which reflected his "personality and his aesthetic" - loaded with antiques, family heirlooms and reclaimed architectural materials; they "took on a very personal, warm and hospitable environment." In 2004, Charles Moore, legendary photographer of the Civil Rights Movement, shot the first photos for the brand. The first Billy Reid stores opened in 2004 in Dallas and Houston showing menswear only; the women’s collection started in 2007. Wholesale distribution began in 2009. Wholesale still accounts for about half of the brand's revenue. The company headquarters is in Florence, Alabama in a historic bookstore. Downstairs is his flagship shop and upstairs is his design studio. The brand operates 12 directly-owned stores which have an atmosphere of faded elegance: well-worn chairs and carpets, antique chandeliers, mounted animals, and antique apothecary cabinets. Reid has said: "We're based in Alabama and work in New York; It's the balance of those two worlds that our aesthetic is about." Reid cites Ralph Lauren, Calvin Klein, Perry Ellis as influential American designers, and has named Bill Robinson as "one of [his] biggest influences." Vogue noted the brand's "relaxed charm and rolled-up elegance." In early 2017 Observer magazine called Reid "perhaps the most likable player on the American menswear scene." The Washington Post has described Reid's aesthetic as "worn luxury". and W magazine named it "Southern Gentleman sartorialism". Vogue described the Fall 2018 collection as “country luxury.”
The garments are almost all made in USA and made in Italy, using French, Italian and Japanese fabrics. In May 2012 Billy Reid and Natalie Chanin planted a 7-acre field of organic cotton for use in their clothing lines.
The limited edition Billy Reid eyewear collection was designed in collaboration with Eponym's design team, and made in Japan. The collection included sunglasses modeled on Reid’s signature personal frames made from sustainable buffalo horn. Design details included leather-wrapped frames, ultra-light titanium nose pads, Italian acetate, and gradient lenses. The eyewear capsule collection debuted in the Frank Lloyd Wright-designed Rosenbaum House in August 2017 as part of the annual Billy Reid Shindig, and 13 styles were delivered to stores in November 2017. The limited-edition buffalo horn frame sunglasses named for Billy and his wife are boxed in wood finished with an ancient Japanese wood-burning technique called yakisugi (焼杉) meaning “burnt cypress”. Reid names Michael Caine and Buddy Holly as icons of men’s eyewear style.
Reid has stated that his production philosophy is: "to make less things, better things, more special things, more meaningful things."
The Fall/Winter 2017 collection included shirts with Yellowhammer embroidery, and the bird became a de facto symbol of the brand. As the state bird of Alabama, the subspecies of Colaptes auratus is known by the common name "yellowhammer," a term that originated during the American Civil War to describe soldiers from Alabama. The bird has black and gold striping on its wing that is similar to the Billy Reid Signature Heirloom Ribbon, a black and gold ribbon with a bias stripe.
Actor Daniel Craig purchased the Bond Peacoat at the Billy Reid Nashville store while shopping with Kings of Leon, and a few years later wore it in the 2012 film Skyfall; this exposed the brand to a wider audience.  The coat was named after Bond Street, the location of the brand's flagship store in New York City. In Spectre, actor Ben Whishaw as Q wore the Billy Reid Astor Coat. Mike Faist, John T. Edge, Ethan Hawke, and Idris Elba are also fans of the brand. Ryan Gosling wore a Billy Reid topcoat in London while promoting Blade Runner 2049.
Reid hosts "a multicultural weekend of fashion, art, food, music & friends" called Shindig, which started as an informal gathering of close friends in 2009, and was held for its 8th Alabama summer edition in late summer 2016. That year, attendees included musician Jack White, musician Alison Mosshart of The Kills, model Matthew Mosshart, the band Dawes, Tony Award winning actor Alex Sharp, musician John Paul White and The Watson Twins, jewelry designer Pamela Love, Chef John Currence, Master Brewer Roy Milner of Blackberry Farm Brewery, former Bloomingdales men's fashion director Josh Peskowitz, and designer Natalie Chanin of Alabama Chanin.
Shindig No. 9 was held in Muscle Shoals, Alabama on the weekend of August 25–27, 2017. Guests at Shindig No. 9 included Jason Isbell and The 400 Unit, Preservation Hall Jazz Band, Jack White, Ron Gallo, Russ Pollard, Cedric Burnside, Carl Broemel of My Morning Jacket, Del McCoury Band, John Currence, and John T. Edge. At Shindig No. 9, Tesla Motors provided vehicles for Shindig guests to test drive, following Reid's collaboration with Tesla to install an electric car charging station on the campus of University of North Alabama in Florence. Former Per Se head sommelier Andre Mack was the wine sponsor for Shindig No. 9, showing his Willamette Valley AVA pinot gris and pinot noir varietals.
A Billy Reid Shindig event was also held at Blackberry Farm in Walland, Tennessee on November 16–19, 2017. Grammy award-winning artist and producer, Dan Auerbach performed; James Beard award-winning chef and author Daniel Patterson cooked for the group; and winemaker Russell From of Herman Story Wines in Paso Robles guided a wine tasting. The next Blackberry Farm Shindig will be held in November 2018. Billy Reid Shindig 10 will be held in Florence, Alabama on August 24-26, 2018.
Dallas and Houston were the first cities in which the brand opened stores, followed a year later by the flagship store in Florence, Alabama. Billy Reid monobrand stores are located in:
- Atlanta (Buckhead and Westside Provisions)
- Austin, Texas (Sixth Street)
- Charleston, South Carolina
- Chicago (Fulton-Randolph Market District)
- Florence, Alabama
- Houston (Westheimer Road)
- New York City (Bond Street in NoHo, and West Village)
- New Orleans (Magazine Street)
- Washington, D.C. (M Street NW)
In the US the brand is sold in Neiman Marcus, Nordstrom, and Bloomingdale’s. The brand held a month-long pop-up shop in Culver City, California in 2017 inside menswear store Magasin; the popup included Reid's made-to-measure service.
Multi-brand boutiques that carry the brand include Brigade in Cleveland, Ohio; Tenet in Southampton, New York; DLM Supply Co. in Dallas, Texas; Sy Devore in Studio City, California; Rothman’s in New York; Carriere in Westlake Village, California; Garmany in Red Bank, New Jersey; Rodes in Louisville, Kentucky; Sebastian’s Closet in Dallas, Texas; Weitzenkorn’s in Pottstown, Pennsylvania and Martin Patrick 3 in Minneapolis, Minnesota.
Every year the designer produces a limited line of K-Swiss/Billy Reid co-branded sneakers. While all other Billy Reid shoes are Made in Italy, the K-Swiss co-sign sneakers are entirely made in America; they are produced in Batavia, New York in the second-oldest shoe factory in the US. The K-Swiss/Billy Reid co-branded sneakers have been produced since 2011.
Reid, Derek Lam, Reed Krakoff, Simon Doonan, and other fashion industry experts form the advisory board for the Cadillac/CFDA Retail Lab mentorship program, which provides a $75,000 grant along with business development, marketing, and PR assistance for six up-and-coming designers annually.
The GunRunner Boutique Hotel in Florence, Alabama has a Billy Reid Suite featuring a ladder and sleeping loft, and is curated with items rotated in and out on a regular basis. As a part of designing the space, Reid personally built the bed for the room.
Billy Reid hosts an Austin Shindig at SXSW Music Festival in Austin, Texas. In 2015, the brand partnered with Third Man Records for the event, which included shows by Natalie Prass, Steve Gunn, Bully, Laura Marling, Broncho, La Luz, Hurray for the Riff Raff, Gill Landry and Olivia Jean.
On March 17, 2016 Reid and Newport Folk Festival hosted Austin Shindig No. 6 during the annual SXSW festival at Weather Up in Austin, Texas. The lineup that year included country music singer Kacey Musgraves, American funk/soul/R&B singer Charles Bradley, and Muscle Shoals native and artist, Dylan Leblanc; American alternative country musician, “Jonny” Fritz was the MC at the event.
After Scarlett Johansson wore the brand’s sunglasses to the 2018 Women's March in Los Angeles, the company pledged to donate 100% of the profits from the sales of the Ian Sunglasses to the Time’s Up Legal Defense Fund.
Billy Reid is a corporate sponsor of the Southern Foodways Alliance, and the brand produced a capsule collection of T-shirts, sweatshirts, caps and chef aprons to promote the member-funded nonprofit organization; 20% of proceeds from the collection benefited the Southern Foodways Alliance.
Following the catastrophic inland flooding caused by Hurricane Harvey, with economic losses estimated at between $70 billion to $200 billion, Reid hosted a warehouse sale at his Austin store and sent all proceeds to members of the Greater Houston restaurant community, and donated all proceeds from a custom created t-shirt to relief efforts.
Awards and honors
- 2001 CFDA Best New Menswear Designer (as William Reid)
- 2009 New York Magazine Best Men's Store in New York
- 2010 GQ/CFDA Best New Menswear Designer in America Award
- 2010 CFDA/Vogue Fashion Fund Prize 
- 2012 CFDA Menswear Designer of the Year
- 2017 Observer American Menswear Power List #1
Reid is a fan of the New Orleans Saints, and designed a custom black and gold football from Louisiana wild alligator leather for an NFL Super Bowl 50 charity auction. Reid is also a "huge LSU fan" and has "probably listened to or watched every game that's been on in [his] lifetime."
Reid has been an avid tennis player since high school, and coaches his son’s baseball team, which in 2016 made it to the Cal Ripken Baseball World Series in Aberdeen, Maryland. Reid designs the uniforms for the team.
Reid has stated, “I’m a music freak. I play music, I write music, I love music. [...] If you look at the mood boards around here, you'd see everyone from the Allman Brothers to Pink to Kid Cudi.”
- Al Urbanski, RECon Report: New times, not end of times, for physical retail Chain Store Age, May 26, 2017
- LAUREN SHERMAN, Seeking Comfort at Billy Reid: The designer aimed to entertain his weary audience with more than just clothes. Business of Fashion, JANUARY 31, 2017.
- Alex Badia, Billy Reid Men’s Fall 2017 Women's Wear Daily, January 31, 2017
- Jean E. Palmieri, Billy Reid RTW Spring 2018: The collection featured soft, easy silhouettes in lightweight fabrics. Women's Wear Daily, September 11, 2017
- Lee Carter, SPRING 2018 READY-TO-WEAR: Billy Reid Vogue magazine, SEPTEMBER 11, 2017
- Laurie Brookins, MADE IN AMERICA: FOUR FASHION DESIGNERS ON WHAT IT TAKES TO DO SO 7/20/2017
- Past Winners CFDA.com
- "Annual Estimates of the Resident Population for Incorporated Places: April 1, 2010 to July 1, 2015". Retrieved July 2, 2016.
- Justin Abbott, Meet the Designers: Billy Reid blogs.nordstrom.com AUGUST 19, 2013
- Alex Hoyt, Steel Magnolia: The rugged charm of Southern fashion’s prodigal son, Billy Reid Rhapsody Magazine, July 2016
- Instagram post Accessed 6/6/2018
- LAUREN SHERMAN, 10 YEARS IN, BILLY REID TALKS EXPANSION AND WHAT THE CFDA/VOGUE FASHION FUND MEANT FOR HIS BUSINESS fashionista.com JAN 9, 2015
- "Security Check Required". Facebook.com. Retrieved 31 October 2017.
- KATHRYN O'SHEA EVANS, Insider: Billy Reid’s Guide to Florence, Alabama Surface, March 10, 2016
- Guy Trebay, Political Fashion Statements at the Men’s Wear Shows The New York Times 2017/02/01
- "About Billy Reid - Billy Reid". Billyreid.com. Retrieved 26 May 2018.
- The Store stanleykorshak.com
- Council of Fashion Designers of America, Billy Reid Accessed 6/17/2016
- Billy Reid on What He Loves About Chicago and His Advice for Other Fashion Designers Stephen Ostrowski, Michigan Avenue, May 23, 2018
- "Geographic Identifiers: 2010 Demographic Profile Data (G001): Muscle Shoals city, Alabama". U.S. Census Bureau, American Factfinder. Retrieved June 6, 2014.
- "Population estimates, July 1, 2016, (V2016)". www.census.gov. Retrieved 2017-03-10.
- "Charles Moore: Civil Rights and Beyond - Exhibitions - Steven Kasher Gallery". Stevenkasher.com. Retrieved 26 May 2018.
- billyreid.com Remembering Our First Shoot November 4, 2014
- RACHEL DODES, Designer Fashions a Comeback Without the Usual Pattern THE WALL STREET JOURNAL, Feb. 9, 2006
- Fashion New York Times 2009/02/19
- The Shortlist: Billy Reid Elle Decor, October 2013
- Richard Nalley, Fashion Designer Billy Reid In His Own Words barrons.com December 6, 2016
- LEE CARTER, Vogue, FALL 2017 MENSWEAR: Billy Reid JANUARY 31, 2017
- Zachary Weiss, Meet the Men on Observer’s 2017 American Menswear Power List 01/31/2017
- Robin Givhan, The fashion world was rattled by the election — and you can see it on the runway The Washington Post February 5, 2017
- Michael Slenske, Inside Frank Lloyd Wright's Forgotten Masterpiece in Florence, Alabama W magazine, August 30, 2017
- FALL 2018 READY-TO-WEAR: Billy Reid LEE CARTER, Vogue, FEBRUARY 10, 2018
- Power Moves Business of Fashion, TAMISON O'CONNOR, FEBRUARY 9, 2018
- "Alabama State Bird". Alabama Emblems, Symbols and Honors. Alabama Department of Archives & History. 2006-04-27. Retrieved 2007-03-18.
- Richard Nalley, How Billy Reid Built a Hollywood Following from Alabama: Laid-back Billy Reid makes suits that effortlessly look elegant barrons.com December 10, 2016
- RINNE ALLEN, Billy Reid and Alabama Chanin’s Homegrown Cotton New York Times, SEPTEMBER 5, 2014
- Aria Hughes, Billy Reid Signs Eyewear Licensing Deal With Eponym, Women's Wear Daily January 12, 2017
- Designer Billy Reid to Launch First Eyewear Collection Invision, 8 JANUARY 2017
- Bethany Biron, How Eponym is carving out a niche in the luxury eyewear market Digiday/Glossy, MARCH 22, 2017
- Stephen Garner BILLY REID INKS EYEWEAR DEAL WITH EPONYM Mr Magazine, January 17, 2017
- Bleiberg, Larry (June 7, 2015). "10 Great: Frand Lloyd Wright Homes". USA Today.
- Russ Corey, Billy Reid Shindig: Exhibit debuts spring collection, eyewear Times Daily, August 27, 2017
- SPRING 2018 READY-TO-WEAR: Billy Reid Lee Carter, Vogue, SEPTEMBER 11, 2017
- Billy Reid’s Eyewear Line Makes Classic Styles Feel New Again Esquire, CHRISTINE FLAMMIA, NOV 1, 2017
- Billy Reid Just Released Fall’s Best New Sunglasses Justin Fenner, Men's Journal, November 2017
- The Latest Design Trend: Black and Burned Wood AMANDA FORTINI, New York Times, September 19, 2017
- Vision Quest: Designer Billy Reid on His Eyewear Line and His Relief Efforts Joseph V. Amodio, Barron's, December 17, 2017
- JONATHAN EVANS, Menswear Designer Billy Reid Wants to Make Less Stuff Esquire, September 1, 2017
- "JOHN T SHIRT - CHARCOAL". Billyreid.com. Retrieved 31 October 2017.
- Record, James (1970). A Dream Come True: The Story of Madison County and Incidentally of Alabama and the United States. Huntsville, Alabama: John Hicklin Printing Company. p. 128.
- "About - Billy Reid". Billyreid.com. Retrieved 31 October 2017.
- Skyfall elevator scene on YouTube
- Bob Carlton, Florence fashion designer Billy Reid outfits Daniel Craig in latest James Bond film AL.com November 06, 2012
- GQ.com James Bond Gets His 'Bama on in Skyfall Thanks to Billy Reid, Matt Sebra, October 18, 2012
- JAKE WOOLF, How James Bond's Peacoat Changed Billy Reid's Business, GQ Magazine November 5, 2015
- Justin Fenner, This Fall, the Peacoat Is Better Than Ever GQ, September 29, 2016
- "Billy Reid Astor Coat". Jamesbondlifestyle.com. 3 November 2015. Retrieved 31 October 2017.
- Matt Bell, GET PERFECT JAMES BOND STYLE IN JUST TWO COATS, November 6, 2015
- billyreid.com David Zaritsky November 4, 2015
- STUART EMMRICH, Young Tony Nominee of ‘Dear Evan Hansen’ Gets Ready for His Big Day The New York Times 2017/06/04
- KIM SEVERSON, A powerful, and provocative, voice for Southern food New York Times News Service, MAY 23, 2017
- Stephanie Saltzman, Ryan Gosling and Harrison Ford Just Invented Autumnal Red Carpet Dressing 21 September 2017
- Billy Reid: Shindig all about the people Monica Collier, August 25, 2017
- Valeriya Safronova, Billy Reid’s Fashion Hootenanny Morphs Into a Dance Party The New York Times Feb. 1, 2017
- JACOB GALLAGHER, A Dixie-Style Shindig for Manhattan’s Fashion Crowd: The Alabama-based designer Billy Reid threw a post-fashion-show bash at the Beekman hotel with southern charm—plus grits and jazz—to spare Wall Street Journal, Feb. 8, 2017
- About billyreid.com
- Stephen Garner, BILLY REID CELEBRATES FASHION, MUSIC AND ART WITH EIGHTH-ANNUAL SHINDIG mr-mag.com September 2, 2016
- Daniel Kreps, Jack White Plays in Alabama Celebrity Baseball Game Rolling Stone August 27, 2016
- "Billy Reid's Southern-Charm Shindig". Vogue.com. Retrieved 31 October 2017.
- Josh Peskowitz, Fashion Designer Billy Reid Puts his Community First Cultured, May 2017
- "Instagram post by Billy Reid • May 5, 2017 at 5:26pm UTC". Instagram. Retrieved 31 October 2017.
- Adam Gold, Jason Isbell Returns to Muscle Shoals for Cathartic Hometown Gig: Billy Reid's Shindig in the Shoals, held in Alabama's culturally rich region, also attracts Jack White, Preservation Hall Jazz Band Rolling Stone, August 28, 2017
- Monica Collier,JOHN CURRENCE: Big Bad Breakfast Shindig style Times Daily August 16, 2017
- "Shindig No. 9 - Billy Reid". Billyreid.com. Retrieved 31 October 2017.
- Monica Collier, Billy Reid: Shindig all about the people Times Daily August 25, 2017
- Jennifer Edwards, UNA gets electric car charging stations Times Daily, August 26, 2017
- Winemaker André Mack billyreid.com October 6, 2017
- Other People’s Pinot Noir Maison Noir Wines
- "Billy Reid on Instagram: "Still on a high from our Shindig at Blackberry Farm! Sincere thanks to all who were a part. We're counting down the days until next year!…"". Instagram. Retrieved 26 May 2018.
- Shindig At Blackberry Farm December 17, 2017
- Blackberry Farm Shindig billyreid.com/blog
- Shindig 10
- "Stores - Billy Reid". Billyreid.com. Retrieved 31 October 2017.
- BILLY REID OPENS SECOND ATLANTA LOCATION MR Magazine, November 20, 2015
- Lauren Sherman, The Rise of Luxury Strip Malls: Outdoor shopping centres are drawing in customers who long ago wrote off the traditional mall experience through a modern mix of food, fashion and practicality. businessoffashion.com June 12, 2017
- Billy Reid's new Fulton Market store to open this month Alexia Elejalde-Ruiz, Chicago Tribune, May 4, 2015
- Nick Grant, The 50 Best Stores in the World, Complex, August 2013
- MIKE ALBO, Dressed to Impress, With a Southern Drawl New York Times, February 18, 2009
- "Billy Reid Clothing at Neiman Marcus". Neimanmarcus.com. Retrieved 31 October 2017.
- "Billy Reid Men's Shirts & Jackets - Nordstrom". shop.nordstrom.com. Retrieved 31 October 2017.
- Billy Reid | Bloomingdale’s Accessed 27 May 2018
- Kari Hamanaka, Made for L.A.: Billy Reid Sets Up Shop at Magasin Women's Wear Daily, May 12, 2017
- "BILLY REID". DLM Supply. Retrieved 31 October 2017.
- CAITLIN CLARK, 5 Stores for the Modern Dallas Man D magazine, April 2017
- "Top Brands – Garmany". Garmany.com. Retrieved 31 October 2017.
- Brands martinpatrick3.com
- Nasdaq, Nordstrom Opens 3rd Store in Toronto at CF Sherway Gardens September 18, 2017
- "WILLIAM SUNGLASSES". Billyreid.com. Retrieved 26 May 2018.
- "JEANNE SUNGLASSES". Billyreid.com. Retrieved 26 May 2018.
- "Tennis Shoes, clothing & apparel - K-Swiss". Kswiss.com. Retrieved 31 October 2017.
- Mikelle Street, Billy Reid Wants to Take His Shindig Festival On the Road observer.com 03/22/16
- Christian Allaire Billy Reid & K-Swiss Collaborate Again For Fall 2016, Footwearnews.com February 4, 2016
- "K - Swiss - FEATURES - MEN - Billy Reid". Billyreid.com. Retrieved 31 October 2017.
- PSG, 360. "PW Minor - Our Mission". Pwminor.com. Retrieved 31 October 2017.
- MASTINE-FROST, JUSTIN (August 16, 2017). "Billy Reid Collaboration Brings Luxe 'Made in America' Twist to the Classic Sneaker". Robb Report. Retrieved August 16, 2017.
- Cadillac, The Council of Fashion Designers of America and Cadillac announce the next class of Retail Lab designers 2016-09-07
- ALISON S. COHN, Public Access: Dream of being dressed by your favorite buzzed-about designer? This NYC "retail lab" brings the labels you love up close and personal. Elle June 9, 2017
- Nicholas Tamarin, Gensler Collaborates with Cadillac and CFDA on New York Flagship interiordesign.net June 1, 2016
- Robert Palmer, Boutique hotel taking shape, to open midsummer Times Daily, May 24, 2017
- Robert Palmer, Shoals' first boutique hotel holds open house Times Daily, July 23, 2017
- Billy Reid Suite gunrunnerhotel.com
- Third Man Records + Billy Reid Announce SXSW Austin Shindig Diffuser
- Stephen Garner, THE SCENE AT BILLY REID’S AUSTIN SHINDIG LAST WEEK MR magazine, March 23, 2016
- "Billy Reid on Instagram: "Spotted at the Women's March Los Angeles, Scarlett Johansson in our Ian sunglasses. To show our support for the Times Up Movement, we will…"". Instagram. Retrieved 26 May 2018.
- "IAN SUNGLASSES". Billyreid.com. Retrieved 26 May 2018.
- "Billy Reid - SFA Cap". Billyreid.com. Retrieved 31 October 2017.
- "billyreid.com". Billyreid.com. Retrieved 31 October 2017.
- "Billy Reid + SFA". Billyreid.com. Retrieved 31 October 2017.
- "Harvey Death Toll Rises To At Least 70". CBS News. The Associated Press. Retrieved 7 September 2017.
- Joel Achenbach (August 27, 2017). "FEMA director says Harvey is probably the worst disaster in Texas history". The Washington Post. Retrieved August 27, 2017.
- "Storm costs nearing $200B; contracting opportunities surge". Mary Scott Nabers. 2017-09-01. Retrieved 2017-09-07.
- Matthew Odam, Free Olamaie fried chicken biscuits at Billy Reid sale Thursday to support Houston restaurants Austin360 September 7, 2017
- "Instagram". Instagram.com. Retrieved 31 October 2017.
- SCAD and Billy Reid Partner for Pop-Up Sale Nick Thomsen, scaddistrict.com April 27, 2018
- Billy Reid is Using Fashion and Music to Give Back to New Orleans Christine Flammia, GQ, May 2, 2018
- "Louisiana State Bird". Louisiana State Bird: Brown Pelican. SHG Resources.
- New York Magazine Best of New York 2009 • Best Men’s Store
- GQ.com And the Winner Is… February 12, 2010
- fashionista.com GQ names Billy Reid Best new menswear designer in America February 2010
- "Billy Reid Wins 2010 CFDA/Vogue Award". Huffingtonpost.com. 16 January 2011. Retrieved 31 October 2017.
- Marc Karimzadeh, Billy Reid Named CFDA/Vogue Fashion Fund Winner Women's Wear Daily November 15, 2010
- MATT SEBRA, Billy Reid, CFDA Menswear Designer of the Year GQ, June 5, 2012
- Zachary Weiss, Meet the Men on Observer’s 2017 American Menswear Power List, Observer 1/31/2017
- "Billy Reid on Instagram: "Geaux Saints! #WhoDat"". Instagram. Retrieved 26 May 2018.
- JOHN BIALAS, Saints fans, fashion designers unveil special Super Bowl 50 footballs for charity The Sun Herald, JANUARY 22, 2016
- Behind-the-Scenes at the CFDA-NFL Bespoke Football Collaboration Marc Karimzadeh, CFDA.com 01-13-2016
- 10 Essentials: Billy Reid GQ Magazine
- "Billy Reid on Instagram: "Billy, an avid tennis player since high school, was inspired by 1930s and 40s tennis style, especially the beautiful soft suits tennis…"". Instagram. Retrieved 26 May 2018.
- SHARI GAB, CLOTHES & PERSONAL: BILLY REID A few lessons on the art of dressing sharp and living well InsideHook 7 FEBRUARY 2017
- Jennifer Edwards, Baseball, coaching an escape for Billy Reid Times Daily, July 23, 2016
- FLORENCE, ALABAMA’S ROAD TO ABERDEEN RIPKEN BASEBALL 7/26/2016
- Florence 12U heads to the Cal Ripken WORLD SERIES in Aberdeen, Maryland Quad Cities Daily, July 28, 2016
- 10 Essentials: Billy Reid GQ Magazine
- Southern Charm: Billy Reid On Where to Eat, Drink and Play in Florence, Alabama Barry Samaha, Forbes, May 2, 2018
- Billy Reid is Using Fashion and Music to Give Back to New Orleans: He partnered with the Trombone Shorty Foundation to help provide music education for underserved kids. Christine Flammia, GQ magazine, May 2, 2018