Category:2007 Big 12 Conference football season
Pages in category "2007 Big 12 Conference football season"
The following 14 pages are in this category, out of 14 total. This list may not reflect recent changes (learn more).
The following 14 pages are in this category, out of 14 total. This list may not reflect recent changes (learn more).
1. 2007 Big 12 Championship Game – Per Big 12 policy, the Big 12 North Champion was declared the home team this year because the game is scheduled to take place in a home state of a Big 12 South team. Designated home teams previously were 8–3 in Big 12 Championship Games, the Big 12 South representative in the game was the Oklahoma Sooners. This was the 114th year of play for the Sooners who led by head coach Bob Stoops. The team was led on offense by quarterback Sam Bradford, and played their homes games at Gaylord Family Oklahoma Memorial Stadium in Norman, the team finished their regular season 10-2, with their losses against Colorado and Texas Tech. The Big 12 North representative in the game was the Missouri Tigers. The team was coached by Gary Pinkel, who returned in his season with Mizzou. Quarterback Chase Daniel in his junior year led the Tigers to their first Big 12 Championship Game, Mizzou took the lead early with a 28-yard Jeff Wolfert field goal. However, on the first play of the 2nd quarter, Oklahomas Chris Brown rushed for a 3-yard touchdown, Missouri was able to kick another field goal, this time from 18 yards out, to make it a 7-6 Sooner lead. Oklahoma struck back two drives later on a 2-yard touchdown by Chris Brown, his second of the night, Missouri drive down the field on the next drive, scoring on a 4-yard Chase Daniel run and a two-point conversion, tying the game at 14 heading into halftime. The 3rd quarter was all Oklahoma, consistently putting pressure on Missouri quarterback Chase Daniel, the Sooner defense began to control the game. Allen Patrick scored from 4 yards out and Sam Bradford threw a 5-yard touchdown to Jermaine Gresham to give Oklahoma a 28-14 lead going into the final quarter, early in the 4th, Wolfert hit his 3rd field goal of the night to bring the score to 28-17. Bradford and Oklahoma scored on the drive, a 4-yard touchdown pass to Joe Jon Finley giving Oklahoma the 35-17 lead. Sooner kicker Garrett Hartley hit a 26-yard field goal to give Oklahoma a 38-17 lead, Recap of game at Big12Sports. com Recap of game on ESPN. com
2. 2007 Colorado Buffaloes football team – The 2007 Colorado Buffaloes football team represented the University of Colorado at Boulder in the 2007 NCAA Division I FBS football season. The team was coached by Dan Hawkins in his season at Colorado. Colorado finished 6–7 after losing in the Independence Bowl to Alabama,2007 was Colorados first consecutive losing season in 22 years, but represented a vast improvement over the teams 2–10 mark in 2006. Sanders started his career at tight end but two weeks into his first spring practice moved to inside linebacker. Nine players will not return from the 2006 squad, Paul Backowski, Quinton Borders, Dominique Brooks, Clayton Cammon, Steve Fendry, Isaac Garden, Tom Grubin, Jeremy Hauck, the annual spring game occurred on April 14. The game consisted of a mix between live scrimmages and 7-on-7 drills due to the shortage of healthy and eligible offensive linemen, the offense was remarked as having made improvements compared to last seasons spring game. Bernard Jackson, the quarterback from last season saw limited time at the position during spring practice and was used as a wide receiver, running back, punt. Cody Hawkins and Nick Nelson competed for the quarterback position, Hawkins completed 12-of-20 passes for 119 yards an interception and a touchdown in live action. In 7-on-7 drills, he completed 15-of-23 passes for 182 yards, Nelson completed 3-of-10 passes for 30 yards and an interception and also had two rushes for 20 yards during live action. In 7-on-7 drills, he completed 21-of-28 passes for 256 yards with two touchdowns and an interception, the football program, with 86 of the 133 student-athletes involved, also lost one scholarship for the next three seasons. National Signing Day was on February 7,2007 and Colorado signed high school athletes from around the country, Colorados overall team ranking was 35th by Scout. com and 31st by Rivals. com. Official CU Signing Day Central Images of new uniforms On June 2,2007, most notable is the incorporation of silver into the uniform combining the two school colors, silver and gold, for the first time. The COLORADO across the chest and player names on the back are now smaller, the numbers will now be silver. The pants now have trim on the sides, silver on the gold pants, the white pants have now been eliminated. The schedule was ranked as the No.10 toughest home schedule, michael Sipili was charged with assault for being suspected for fighting with Taj Kaynor, defensive tackle, also involving Chris Perri, sophomore defensive tackle on June 22,2007. Sipili and Perri were suspended for the first three games and Kaynor was suspended for the first game, Sipili was later suspended from campus on September 21,2007 for the fall semester over the incident forcing him to miss the entire season. As a true sophomore, he will use this season as a redshirt and have 3 years remaining of eligibility. Starting running back Hugh Charles suffered a hamstring on the first series of the Colorado State game, forcing him to miss the rest of that game
3. 2007 Kansas Jayhawks football team – The 2007 Kansas Jayhawks football team represented the University of Kansas in the 2007 NCAA Division I FBS football season. The twelve victories set a new record, and the defeat of the Virginia Tech Hokies in the Orange Bowl was the schools first only Orange Bowl and BCS bowl game victory. Their only loss was versus a North Division rival, the Missouri Tigers, in their regular season game which denied them the division title. For their achievements the team was awarded the Stanley Tools Breakthrough of the Year Award, Mark Mangino, in his sixth season as the teams head coach, received several coaching awards. The teams new offensive coordinator was Ed Warinner, and their defensive coordinators were Bill Young, the team captains were senior running back Brandon McAnderson, senior tight end Derek Fine, senior defensive lineman James McClinton, and junior cornerback Aqib Talib. The starting quarterback position was held by sophomore Todd Reesing with sophomore Kerry Meier as a backup and they played their home games on Kivisto Field at Memorial Stadium in Lawrence, Kansas. The team was led by Mark Mangino in his season as head coach. The teams twelve wins raised his overall coaching record to 37–36, at the end of the season Mangino was named the Big 12 Coach of the Year by the Big 12 coaches and Big 12 Co-Coach of the Year by the Associated Press. He brought in a new, more aggressive, faster-paced, no-huddle offense and this was Warinners third season with the Jayhawks since he had previously coached the offensive line and served as run-game coordinator in 2003–2004. Bill Young and Clint Bowen were defensive coordinators, tim Beck was the wide receivers coach and passing game coordinator. For their season-opening game on September 1, the Jayhawks hosted the defending Mid-American Conference champion Central Michigan Chippewas in the teams first meeting, Central Michigan was led by Butch Jones in his first year as a head coach. Entering the game the Jayhawks had a 5–5 record against opponents from the MAC with the most recent result being the loss to the Toledo Rockets in the third week of the 2006 season. The Jayhawks dominated the Chippewas in a 52–7 win to extend their streak of season-opening victories to four, on September 8, the Jayhawks hosted the Southeastern Louisiana Lions from the Southland Conference. The Jayhawks also recorded their first shutout since 2000, on September 15, the Jayhawks hosted the Toledo Rockets for their third game in four seasons and fourth overall. Led by head coach Tom Amstutz in his season, the Mid-American Conference team had defeated the Jayhawks the previous year in Toledo in a double-overtime loss. This 45–13 win gave the Jayhawks a 3–1 record versus the Rockets, for their fourth and final non-conference game on September 22, the Jayhawks hosted the FIU Golden Panthers of the Sun Belt Conference in the teams first meeting. FIU was led by head coach Mario Cristobal. Todd Reesing led the Jayhawks to victory in Manhattan for the first time in eighteen years, Aqib Talib sealed the game by picking off Josh Freemans pass with less than two minutes left in the game
4. 2007 Kansas State Wildcats football team – The 2007 Kansas State Wildcats football team represented Kansas State University in the 2007 NCAA Division I FBS football season. The teams head coach was Ron Prince. The Wildcats played their games in Bill Snyder Family Stadium. 2007 saw the finish with a record of 5–7. Coming into the game, Auburn was favored by 13½, auburns offense struggled all night, and Kansas State seemed poised for its 18th straight season-opening win, the first against a ranked opponent on the road. Josh Freeman completed 32 of 57 passes for 268 yards and was intercepted twice, Freemans passing numbers rank as some of the best in school history. With the Wildcats trailing 6–3 after a first half dominated by defense, Freeman directed the offense to the Auburn 21, and it was time for a trick. Freeman took the snap and turned left, tossing a lateral to wide receiver Jordy Nelson on a third-and-6 play, Nelson heaved the ball deep to Leon Patton, who was all alone in the right side of the end zone for the first touchdown of the game. Kansas State held Auburn to only 62 yards rushing, see also 2007 San Jose State Spartans football team Kansas State was favored by 17 points going into the game. Josh Freeman threw for 272 yards and a touchdown and ran for a score in Kansas States 34–14 victory over San Jose State. James Johnson ran for 111 yards and one touchdown for Kansas State, Brooks Rossman kicked field goals of 26 yards in the first quarter and 43 yards in the fourth for Kansas State. Senior Jordy Nelson set single-game school records with 15 receptions for 209 yards, catching one touchdown pass, Deon Murphy caught Nelsons touchdown pass on a trick play and returned a punt 80 yards early in the fourth quarter for a 54–10 lead. Nelsons 18-yard catch from Josh Freeman late in the third quarter, Terry Petrie ran 3 yards for Kansas States final score in the closing minutes. The Wildcats broke the 60-point mark for the first time since a 64–0 win over Kansas in 2002, Freeman was 26-for-39 for 287 yards and didnt throw an interception, breaking a string of five games in which he threw at least one pick. Missouri State coach Terry Allen lost for the sixth time against Kansas State. He coached Northern Iowa to a 10–8 victory in Manhattan in 1989—the last time Kansas State lost a home opener—but was 0-5 against the Wildcats as Kansas coach from 1997–2001, Texas was favored by 15½ coming into the game. Linebacker Ian Campbell scored on a 41-yard interception return in the second quarter, Jordy Nelsons 89-yard punt return in the third put the Wildcats up 34–21 and all but sealed their second consecutive victory over Texas. Kansas State scored on its drive, then didnt need another offensive touchdown until the fourth quarter
5. 2007 Missouri Tigers football team – The 2007 Missouri Tigers football team represented the University of Missouri in the 2007 NCAA Division I FBS football season. The team was coached by Gary Pinkel and played their games at Faurot Field at Memorial Stadium. The team was led by junior quarterback Chase Daniel, a Heisman Trophy candidate who finished fourth in voting behind Tim Tebow, Darren McFadden, in the preseason, the Tigers were picked by some to win the Big 12 North. On November 24, Missouri won their 11th game of the season by beating their arch-rival Kansas Jayhawks 36–28, the game sealed Mizzous first Big 12 North division title and earned them an inaugural trip to the Big 12 Championship Game against the Oklahoma Sooners on December 1. Until the Big 12 Championship game, the Tigers were the team in college football to have scored at least 30 points in every game. The Tigers won over 9 games in a season for the first time since 1969 and this ranking lead to the Tigers first ever appearance on the cover of Sports Illustrated magazine. The Tigers also achieved their highest BCS ranking in history, at No.1 after the Border Showdown, five Tiger starters were named to the Associated Press All-American teams. Senior Center Adam Spieker was a team selection. Coaching staff from, Missouri Tigers –2007 Roster, Statistics from, Missouri Tigers – Cumulative Season Statistics. Archived from the original on December 12,2007
6. 2007 Nebraska Cornhuskers football team – The 2007 Nebraska Cornhuskers football team represented the University of Nebraska–Lincoln in the 2007 NCAA Division I FBS football season. The team was coached by Bill Callahan and played their games at Memorial Stadium in Lincoln. The Nebraska football teams schedule was rated the toughest in the Big 12 Conference, the team had predictions to win the Big 12 North division. Marlon Lucky was named the Walter Camp Football Foundation National Offensive Player of the Week for his career-best 233 yards rushing against Nevada, as ESPN described the game, Sam Keller nearly gave away the game during his first road start at Nebraska. Zack Bowman jumped up to take it back for the Cornhuskers, three plays after Keller threw an interception deep in Nebraska territory, Bowman picked off a Wake Forest pass in the end zone and the 16th-ranked Cornhuskers held on to win 20–17 on Saturday. After a bye week, the Trojans visited the Nebraska Cornhuskers in Lincoln, in the pre-season, the game was named as one of the candidates for the 10 most important games of 2007. For the Huskers, the game was critical to their hopes of showing progress under 4th year head coach Bill Callahan. The game marks the first time a No, 1-ranked team has visited Lincoln since 1978. Because of the significance, ESPN College GameDay chose it as the site of its weekly broadcast. In that game the normally prolific West Coast offense of Nebraska, for 2007, Callahan pledged to play more aggressively, using running back Marlon Lucky and quarterback Sam Keller. Due to NCAA transfer rules, Keller spent the 2006 season on the Huskers scout team, the Trojans stayed in nearby Omaha and practiced at a local high school, Carroll took the rare step of closing practice to outsiders after a local radio station announced the location. Senior center Matt Spanos remained injured, and true freshman Kris ODowd was called to start again, veteran secondary member Josh Pinkard was lost for the season after his sore knee gave out during a bye week practice, resulting in a torn ACL requiring surgery. The game fell on Pete Carrolls 56th birthday, as a surprise, Carroll was treated to a message by actor Kiefer Sutherland. The morning recording of College GameDay attracted 13,293 fans, with 84,959 in attendance, Nebraska recorded its NCAA-record 284th consecutive home sellout dating back to 1962. The Trojans dominated on the ground, as they out-gained Nebraska 313–31 in rushing yards and averaged 8.2 yards per carry, the most ever against a Nebraska team. The Trojans did not escape injuries, as linebacker Clay Matthews, substituting for the recovering Brian Cushing, broke his thumb, after losing first place votes in the polls during the bye week, USCs performance regained six after their performance against the Huskers in a hostile environment. Receiving specific praise was the Trojans offensive line, as well as the continued poise, Athletic Director Steve Pederson was fired after this game. Former Nebraska head coach Tom Osborne was named as interim Athletic Director and he indicated that there would be no coaching changes during the season
7. 2007 Oklahoma Sooners football team – The 2007 Oklahoma Sooners football team represented the University of Oklahoma in the 2007 NCAA Division I FBS football season, the 113th season of Sooner football. The team was led by two-time Walter Camp Coach of the Year Award winner, Bob Stoops and they played their homes games at Gaylord Family Oklahoma Memorial Stadium in Norman, Oklahoma. They were a member of the Big 12 Conference. The Sooners finished the season with an 11–2 record while winning their fifth Big 12 title. They received a berth to the Fiesta Bowl, where they lost to the West Virginia Mountaineers. Following the season, Malcolm Kelly and Curtis Lofton were drafted in the 2nd round of the 2008 NFL Draft, Reggie Smith was selected in the 3rd, on July 19, a preseason poll voted on by members of the media that cover the Big 12 was released. The Sooners were chosen to second in the Big 12 South behind Texas. They finished nine votes behind the Longhorns but 44 points above Texas A&M and this poll was released in anticipation of the Big 12 media day which began on July 23,2007. Most publications had the Sooners ranked between five and ten in the preseason, on August 2,2007, Coach Bob Stoops announced at a rally that the names of players would be put back on the teams jerseys. They had been removed in a re-design before the 2006 season, the 2006 season was the last for quarterback Paul Thompson. With his departure came the race for the quarterback of the Oklahoma Sooners. The three players in contention for the coveted spot included true freshman Keith Nichol, redshirt freshman Sam Bradford and they competed throughout the summer and well into fall practice. On August 21,2007, it was announced that Bradford would start the first game of the season. In 2006, the team and the fanbase were stunned when the starting quarterback. Quarterback-turned-wide receiver Paul Thompson was converted back to quarterback and led the Sooners to an 11–3 season capturing the Big 12 Championship, however, the fallout of the Bomar scandal began to affect the team in 2007. The Sooners won the appeal to get back their wins from the 2005 season, National Signing Day was on February 7,2007, and Oklahoma was set to sign many talented high school athletes from around the country. It ended up being a smaller class than usual due to the loss of only a few seniors, in addition to the seniors leaving, running back Adrian Peterson left early for the NFL Draft and three other players were set to be on medical redshirt for the upcoming season. There was some separation in Oklahomas recruiting ranking by the two major recruiting websites, scout. com ranked the Oklahoma recruiting class as the 30th best in the nation, while Rivals. com ranked Oklahoma as the 14th best
8. 2007 Oklahoma State Cowboys football team – The 2007 Oklahoma State Cowboys football team represented Oklahoma State University during the 2007 NCAA Division I FBS football season. The team participated as members of the Big 12 Conference in the South Division and they played their home games at Boone Pickens Stadium in Stillwater, Oklahoma and were coached by Mike Gundy. Head coach, Mike Gundy Assistants, Nelson Barnes, Tim Beckman, Todd Bradford, Joe DeForest, Larry Fedora, Curtis Luper, Doug Meacham, Joe Wickline Oklahoma States first win in Lincoln since 1960. All-Big 12, Adarius Bowman, Dave Koenig, Nathan Peterson, Brandon Pettigrew, julius Crosslin was signed as an undrafted free agent by the Dallas Cowboys. Dantrell Savage was signed as a free agent by the Kansas City Chiefs. Donovan Woods was signed as a free agent by the Pittsburgh Steelers
9. 2007 Texas A&M Aggies football team – The 2007 Texas A&M Aggies football team represented Texas A&M University in the 2007 NCAA Division I FBS football season. The team was coached by Dennis Franchione, who had coached at A&M since the 2003 season, the Aggies were led on offense by junior quarterback Stephen McGee. The team played their games at Kyle Field, an 82, 600-person capacity stadium on A&Ms campus in College Station. The Fightin Texas Aggie Band performs at all games and select away games during half-time. The 2006 Aggie team finished with 9 wins and 4 losses, in a 2007 preseason ranking, ESPN sports columnist Mark Schlabach ranked the Aggies 15th. In their preseason polls, both the Coaches Poll and the AP Poll ranked the Aggies 25th, a Rivals. com writer ranked A&M as having the 9th toughest road schedule. The Aggies completed the 2007 season with a 7–6 record, with their final game resulting in a 24–17 loss to Penn State in the 2007 Alamo Bowl. After the Aggies 17–34 loss at Miami, head coach Dennis Franchiones coaching has been bought into question by some members of the media, an ESPN writer gave honorable mention to the A&M coaches play-calling in the Miami game in his weekly Bottom 10 college football game rankings. As of Tuesday, September 25, the website firefranpetition. com has received over 15,000 hits after A&Ms loss to Miami,300 people had signed the online petition that Monday, bringing the total to 2,600. The website has also sold nearly 200 Can Fran shirts, the Bryan-College Station Eagle, the areas local newspaper, included a ffront page picture of A&Ms Pi Kappa Phi chapter members hanging a Fire Fran sign from their fraternity house. The newsletter, called VIP Connection, had written by Franchiones personal assistant, Mike McKenzie. The newsletter attracted 27 recipients,6 of whom received the newsletter for free,20 of the recipients have been disclosed. The boosters were asked to sign a confidentiality statement to assure the information in the newsletter would not be used for gambling, though Franchione and McKenzie denied gaining profit from the newsletter, Franchione stated that proceeds went to the company that managed his now-defunct website, coachfran. com. The newsletter was discovered by athletic director Bill Byrne after it was presented to him by a San Antonio Express-News reporter, Byrne immediately instructed Franchione to discontinue the newsletter, at which time Franchione complied. Refunds have been offered to the subscribers, though it is uncertain how many asked for one, A&M players also expressed their support for Franchione as a coach. Shortly after, an investigation had been launched to look into the matter, conducted by Bill Byrne and A&Ms NCAA compliance officer, on Thursday, October 11, Texas A&M officials issued a letter of admonishment and ordered that the website CoachFran. com be shut down. Consequently, the writer of the newsletter, Mike McKenzie, was fired, Byrne stated that the incident would be included in Franchiones performance review at the end of the season. After Franchione led the Aggies to a 38–30 victory over the 13th-ranked Texas Longhorns, in the press conference, after he discussed the game, he read out loud a farewell letter that he had prepared beforehand
10. 2007 Texas Longhorns football suspensions – Head coach Mack Brown suspended a total of seven players, six for alleged illegal activities, and one for a violation of National Collegiate Athletics Association rules. Four Longhorn players were involved in legal issues during the off-season, defensive end Henry Melton and linebacker Sergio Kindle were both arrested during the summer on charges of driving while intoxicated. Both players were suspended from the first three games of the season and they were required to do community service and also missed the first two days of practice to visit with a woman whose son was crippled by a drunk driver. Freshman defensive tackle Andre Jones and former UT player Robert Joseph were charged with aggravated robbery with a deadly weapon, R Head coach Mack Brown suspended Jones from the team indefinitely. In suspending Jones, Brown said “I am extremely disappointed that four of our student-athletes have had issues with the law this summer and that is not reflective of the high standard of class, character and integrity we have established at Texas for many years. It’s a shame that these recent events have generated a great deal of attention, because I do think that overall. I think that will show over time. ”Brown apologized to the administrators, faculty, fans. Its not what we have worked so hard for 9 ½ years to portray in our program of class, integrity and character and its something we arent proud of. But I can also assure you that its not indicative of who this really is. Were excited to be able to prove that and he allowed that something positive could come out of the troubles as it provides a learning and motivational opportunity. Brown said, Our slogan will be to earn the right and its my job to make sure that the guys who are playing have earned that right. On August 31,2007 the University of Texas suspended Billy Pittman for three games because he accepted the use of a car over the summer. The schools compliance office determined the friend was not a booster or agent and was not connected with the university, the NCAA signed off on the findings. Pittman said in response to the suspension, I want to apologize to my coaches, teammates, fans, I was driving a friends car and since he didnt have any ties to UT, I didnt think I was doing anything wrong. As soon as the coaches asked me about it this summer, Mack Brown released a statement saying, Im disappointed for Billy. I am confident he wouldnt intentionally do anything to be a distraction to our team and we look forward to his return for the Rice game. Pittman had been recovering from a sprained shoulder but had hoped to play in the season opener, on September 13,2007 the University of Texas suspended Tyrell Gatewood indefinitely after he was arrested on two drug possession charges. A Travis County sheriffs deputy conducted a stop on Gatewood for failure to signal within 100 feet before changing lanes