Category:Albums produced by Jeff Bhasker
Albums produced by Jeff Bhasker.
Pages in category "Albums produced by Jeff Bhasker"
The following 44 pages are in this category, out of 44 total, this list may not reflect recent changes (learn more).
Albums produced by Jeff Bhasker.
The following 44 pages are in this category, out of 44 total, this list may not reflect recent changes (learn more).
1. 5 * Stunna – 5 * Stunna is the third studio album by American rapper Birdman. It was released on December 11,2007, by Cash Money Records, the album includes the productions from Kane Beatz, T-Mix, Cool & Dre, Young Yonny, DJ Tone, The Fliptones, Tommy Gunnz, Steve Morales and Raymond Sarom Diaz, among others. Rapper Lil Wayne has featured 7 out of 22 tracks throughout the whole album, the album debuted at number 18 on the US Billboard 200, selling 80,000 copies in the first week. To date, the album has sold 372,000 copies in the United States, the album was first rumored to be titled as 5 Star General, however, the title of the album was later changed into 5 Star Stunna. His official debut single for his album, titled Pop Bottles was released on June 15,2007. The song features guest vocals from his frequent collaborator and fellow rapper Lil Wayne, while it was produced by Raymond Sarom Diaz, the albums second single, titled 100 Million was released on November 23,2007. Lil Wayne also featured on track, alongside with these fellow rappers Young Jeezy and Rick Ross. The song was produced by the production duo Cool & Dre, the albums third single, I Run This was released on May 14,2008. For the third time, Lil Wayne was featured on track, while it was produced by T-Mix. The rappers asked him to record some Italian-styled spoken word recordings in 2006, the lyrics were allegedly used on Respect, and other tracks from the rappers collaboration album Like Father, Like Son
2. 808s & Heartbreak – 808s & Heartbreak is the fourth studio album by American recording artist Kanye West. It was released on November 24,2008, by Roc-A-Fella Records, West recorded the album during September and October 2008 at Glenwood Studios in Burbank, California and Avex Recording Studio in Honolulu, Hawaii, with the help of producers No I. D. 808s & Heartbreak debuted at one on the Billboard 200. Despite varying responses from listeners, the received positive reviews from most critics and was named one of 2008s best records in several year-end lists. Four singles were released to promote the record, including the hit singles Love Lockdown, by 2013, it had sold 1.7 million copies in the United States. Following the release of his studio album Graduation, the remainder of 2007. On November 10,2007, Wests mother Donda West died due to complications arising following cosmetic surgery involving a tummy tuck, months later, West and fiancée Alexis Phifer ended their engagement and their long-term intermittent relationship, which had begun in 2002. At the same time, West struggled to adapt to his pop star status he had once striven to achieve. The loss, loneliness and longing for companionship and a sense of normality served to inspire 808s & Heartbreak, West stated that This album was therapeutic – its lonely at the top. A photograph taken by Danny Clinch of West kissing his mother on the cheek was included in the booklet liner notes. West felt that his emotions could not be expressed simply through rapping. There were melodies that were in me, he explained, what was in me I couldnt stop. Either call it pop or pop art, either one Im good with, the album was recorded over a span of approximately three weeks from September to October 2008. Recording sessions took place at Glenwood Studios in Burbank, California and at Avex Recording Studio in Honolulu, as implied by its title, 808s & Heartbreak prominently features the Roland TR-808 drum machine. West utilized the sounds created by the 808 and manipulated its pitch to produce a distorted, electronic sound and he felt the characteristic of the sound was representative of his state of mind. According to West, the fact that Hawaiis area code was 808 was coincidental, the realization inspired him to pursue his direction with the album, however. In terms of direction, Wests intentions, according to Mike Dean, were to go against the typical sound of hip hop beat. Overall, West maintained a minimal but functional approach towards the studio production
3. Anti (album) – Anti is the eighth studio album by Barbadian singer Rihanna. It was released on January 28,2016, through Westbury Road, the singer began planning the record in 2014, at which time she left her previous label Def Jam and joined Roc Nation. Work continued into 2015, during which she released three singles including FourFiveSeconds, which reached the top 10 in several markets, they were removed from the final track listing. Anti was made available for digital download on January 28 through Tidal and was released to online music stores for paid purchase on January 29. The efforts resulted in a departure from Rihannas previous dance and club genres and created a primarily pop and R&B album, with elements of dancehall. The producers incorporated dark, sparsely layered, minimalist song structures, with most of Antis lyrics dealing with the complexities of romantic love, the album was released to positive reviews from music critics and numerous publications included it on their lists of the best albums of 2016. To further promote the album, Rihanna embarked on the Anti World Tour in 2016, in November 2012, Rihanna released her seventh studio album, Unapologetic. To further promote it, in 2013, Rihanna embarked on her concert tour. When it concluded, the decided to take a step back from music. Instead, she opted to part in other endeavors and lent her voice in the 3D animated film Home, alongside Jim Parsons, Steve Martin. In advance she also served as a producer for the accompanying soundtrack which was released in early 2015. Later that month it was announced that Rihanna had acquired a $25 million contract with Samsung, the deal would see Rihanna promoting Samsungs Galaxy line of products while the brand would sponsor the release of Anti and its supporting tour. The span gap between Rihannas last studio album, Unapologetic and Anti is the longest wait between records in her music career, on October 8,2014, she posted a picture of herself in the studio, working on the album. During the initial writing and development of the album, Rihanna recording a vast amount of songs that were up-tempo, following the albums initially recording Rihanna became bored with pop music stating that she gravitated towards music that was honest and represented her at that time. Rihanna also recognised that the music she was recording might not be some record that will be Top 40. American singer Ne-Yo, and also her frequent collaborator, in an interview with Capital Xtra on November 11, regarding Anti said, I cant speak on what it sounds like because Ill get in trouble. But I definitely feel like people are gonna enjoy it, anybody thats a Rihanna fan is gonna stay a Rihanna fan, and anybody thats not might become a Rihanna fan. On November 19,2014, while on the red carpet for the premiere of director Andrew Jenks documentary, Its Not Over, Rihanna told Entertainment Tonight, that her album should come out very soon
4. At. Long. Last. ASAP – ASAP is the second studio album by American rapper ASAP Rocky. It was released on May 26,2015, by A$AP Worldwide, Polo Grounds Music, the record serves as a sequel from Rockys previous studio effort Long. In 2013, the sessions first took place, during a release of Long. The album features guest appearances from Joe Fox, Future, Schoolboy Q, Kanye West, Rod Stewart and A-Cyde, the album was supported by three singles, Lord Pretty Flacko Jodye 2, Everyday featuring Rod Stewart, Miguel and Mark Ronson, and L$D. On March 16,2014, announcements were made for two releases, including their first instrumental mixtape, Beauty and the Beast, Slowed Down Sessions, ASAP Rocky revealed that he had been working on his second album. On October 2,2014, Rocky announced that he signed a contract for representation with William Morris Endeavor. On January 18,2015, ASAP Rockys mentor and business partner ASAP Yams died at the age of 26, which greatly affected the albums development. After performing at the 2015s South by Southwest festival, ASAP Rocky revealed to Billboard, on March 26,2015, in an interview with GQ, Rocky deciphered the albums title, Im claiming ownership of my legacy. Its the return of the god MC, Im named after Rakim, and Im finally facing what it means, I was born to do this shit. And I hope I get to do it for a long time. Upon the release of the song Ms, Rocky revealed that he had worked with fellow New York rapper Mos Def. Hector Delgado and Rocky say that they met Joe Fox while roaming the streets of London, England, I was at Dean’s Studio until 4 a. m. I came outside and we waiting for our Uber to go to Starbucks and this kid comes with his guitar and stuff. He was out there playing and stuff and he comes, ” Rocky explained of his first encounter with Fox, “It was about 4 a. m. so there’s nobody in the streets. He tried to give me a CD and shit, I was like, ‘I’m not about to listen to that, man. You got your guitar. ’ He played it and I was just like, Come on let’s go. ’ That’s where it started. On October 2,2014, ASAP Yams and ASAP Rocky posted links to their website FlackoJodyeSeason. com, on October 3, Rocky released the albums promotional single, Multiply featuring Memphis-based rapper Juicy J. The song was accompanying by the video, which was officially released at midnight on the website
5. The Blueprint 3 – The Blueprint 3 is the eleventh studio album by American rapper Jay Z, released September 8,2009, on Roc Nation, through distribution from Atlantic Records. It is the installment in The Blueprint trilogy, preceded by The Blueprint and The Blueprint2. Production for the album took place during 2008 to 2009 at several recording studios and was handled by Kanye West, the Neptunes, Jeff Bhasker, Al Shux, Jerome J-Roc Harmon, The Inkredibles, Swizz Beatz, and Timbaland. This is the album in the Blueprint trilogy, as well as the first album since Vol.3. Life and Times of S. Carter, not to feature production from Just Blaze, the album debuted at number one on the US Billboard 200 chart, selling 476,000 copies in its first week. It became Jay-Zs eleventh US number-one album, breaking the record he had shared with Elvis Presley. Upon its release, The Blueprint 3 received generally positive reviews music critics. The earliest hype over The Blueprint 3 came when DJ Clue released in January 2008 a mixtape song called Aint I, in the intro, Clue says, Off that Blueprint 3 baby. However, a spokesperson for Jay-Z said that it was an old, unreleased song, on July 20, Timbaland, a frequent contributor to previous Jay-Z albums, told MTV News that he would be producing the whole album. But in an interview with the Rolling Stone magazine, Jay-Z called the statement premature, in July 2009, Jay-Z confirmed The Blueprint 3 as the albums title during an interview with radio station Shade 45. By November 2008, he had finished the album but with lengthy negotiations with Def Jam, in January 2009, Jay-Z confirmed continued production of the album and admitted the leak of several songs. He also mentioned in an interview with DJ Semtex that his song on the album is Empire State of Mind. The official track list for Blueprint 3 was revealed on August 18, confirming the guest appearances from Kanye West, Rihanna, Drake, Kid Cudi, Young Jeezy, J. Cole, Alicia Keys, and more. )The cover consists of a large amount of all-white instruments and recording tools stacked in a corner, with three red lines across the image. Rather than simply using photoshop, the design team carefully stacked all the equipment in a corner then used a projector to create the bars. They then painted red onto the equipment where the projection of the bars was, Blueprint 3 would be Jay-Zs first album cover that did not feature his face on it. Most of the recording sessions took place in Hawaii at Avex Honolulu Studio. Wests protégé Mr Hudson explained to The Times that he wont get bothered there compared to a city such as New York or Los Angeles. I let the music dictate the direction, however, the final track listing reveals, that West produced the majority of tracks on the album, and three done by Timbaland
6. Born to Die – Born to Die is the second studio album by American singer and songwriter Lana Del Rey. Her major label debut, it was released on January 27,2012 by Interscope Records, Polydor Records and Stranger Records. Del Rey collaborated with producers including Patrik Berger, Jeff Bhasker, Chris Braide, Emile Haynie, Justin Parker, Rick Nowels, Robopop and their efforts resulted in a primarily baroque pop record, which sees additional influences from alternative hip hop, indie pop and trip hop music. Contemporary music critics gave Born to Die mixed reviews, some commended its production, while its repetitiveness. Born to Die reached the positions on eleven international record charts. The Cedric Gervais remix of Summertime Sadness was released on July 11,2013 and became Del Reys highest-charting single in the United States, Del Rey additionally promoted Born to Die with several televised performances, including a widely criticized appearance on Saturday Night Live. It was reissued on November 9,2012 as an expanded version subtitled The Paradise Edition, Born to Die has sold 7,000,000 copies worldwide as of June 2014. In 2007, Elizabeth Lizzy Grant signed a contract with the independent record label 5 Point Records. The final product Lana Del Ray was digitally released in January 2010, Grant was successfully bought out of her recording contract upon the request of her manager, consequently, Lana Del Ray was pulled out of circulation before physical versions were produced. After settling with her current stage name, Del Rey signed a contract with Stranger Records in June 2011. Initially, she had released the song because it was her favorite and had no intentions of releasing it as a single, during an appearance on the French television series Taratata in November 2011, Del Rey announced that her second studio album would be titled Born to Die. The cover for Born to Die was photographed by Nicole Nodland, while Del Rey and David Bowden oversaw the overall direction for its packaging. In regards to the use of her vocals on the tracks, she stated that people werent taking me very seriously, so I lowered my voice. The singers first singles, Video Games and Born to Die were described variously as quasi-cabaret balladry, woozy and sometimes soporific soundtrack soul and her own description of her music is Hollywood sadcore. You didnt hear it from us, right, Del Rey has once been described as a gangsta Nancy Sinatra, though she cites Britney Spears, Elvis Presley and Antony and the Johnsons as her musical influences. When asked about her style, the singer stated, I would have loved to be part of the indie community. I was looking for a community, I dont even know any people who are musicians, I never met that indie popular indie, whoever the fuck that is. First of all, I cant really get my head around what indie music is, because if youve heard of it, its sort of pop music, right
7. Born to Die: The Paradise Edition – Born to Die, The Paradise Edition is the reissue of American singer and songwriter Lana Del Reys second studio album Born to Die. It was released on November 9,2012 by Interscope Records, released ten months after the original, The Paradise Edition features eight newly recorded tracks, which were simultaneously made available on the standalone extended play Paradise. Although having worked with producers for each record, Emile Haynie. The Paradise Edition performed moderately on record charts in Europe. Del Rey released her studio album and major-label debut Born to Die in January 2012 by Interscope Records, Polydor Records. It debuted at two on the U. S. The final product was first released on November 9 in Australia, the Paradise Edition was packaged as a two-disc product in its physical variation, while a digital version was serviced to online music stores. The newly recorded material was made available on the standalone extended play Paradise. The Paradise Edition was released in vinyl record packaging on November 20, it came with the vinyl for Paradise, the newly recorded material employs more profane language than the original record, particularly with descriptions of sexual encounters. Blue Velvet is a version of the 1950s track written by Bernie Wayne and Lee Moris. According to Williott, the eighth and final track Bel Air is a waltz that notably employs a forest nymph chant during its refrain. The song respectively peaked at numbers 21 and 26 on the U. S. Billboard Rock Songs and Adult Alternative Songs component charts, and performed sporadically across international singles charts. After The Paradise Edition was released, Dark Paradise was serviced as the single from Born to Die on March 1,2013. Having charted separately from Born to Die and Paradise throughout much of Europe and it charted at number four on the Polish Albums Chart, and respectively reached numbers 6 and 15 on the Belgian Ultratop charts in Flanders and Wallonia. The project peaked at number 15 on the Dutch MegaCharts, although a specific charting position was not released, The Paradise Edition was certified gold by the Syndicat National de lÉdition Phonographique in France. In Oceania, it reached number 17 on the Australian ARIA Charts, the project also reached number six on the Official New Zealand Music Chart, where it was eventually certified platinum. Credits adapted from the notes of Born to Die, The Paradise Edition. Notes ^ signifies a co-producer ^ signifies a producer ^ signifies an additional producer ^ signifies a remixer Credits adapted from the liner notes of Born to Die
8. The Documentary – The Documentary is the debut studio album by American rapper The Game. It was released on January 18,2005, by Aftermath Entertainment, G-Unit Records, the record serves as his major-label debut, which was preceded by the release of his independently-released debut of Untold Story. In 2001, after The Game was recovering from a shooting and he then was discovered by Dr. Dre, who he signed The Game to his Aftermath Entertainment label. The album includes the production from producers such as Dr. Dre, Kanye West, Scott Storch and Timbaland. The album features guest appearances from 50 Cent, Eminem, Nate Dogg and Faith Evans and this would be The Games only album on Aftermath and G-Unit Records, as he left the label after a feud began to occurred between him and fellow G-Unit label-mate 50 Cent. The Documentary debuted at one on the US Billboard 200. In March 2005, the Recording Industry Association of America certified the album two times platinum and sold five million copies worldwide, upon its release, The Documentary received generally positive reviews, with critics praising the albums production. Since the albums release, The Game has been credited as a force in reviving the West Coast hip hop scene. The record remains as The Games best-selling album to date, on June 16,2014, the sequel to the album was announced, called The Documentary 2, which was released on October 9,2015, followed by the release of The Documentary 2.5. While continuing the recording sessions on the album, he working with fellow rapper and record producer Kanye West on a song. However, the song were left on the cutting room floor, however, in the interview with Funkmaster Flex, The Game said that his status was never uncertain that he would be dropped from the label. The Game denied those claims, saying that 50 Cent only wrote two songs on the album, the Game recorded tracks based on his life experiences from his childhood to his success as a rapper. When asked about the album, he stated, I grew up in a boys home, when my album drops I will be 25 so thats 17 years I have been going through my struggle by myself. There are 17 tracks on my album and every track sheds light on a different situation I went through the last 17 years. The rapper commented on the albums perception before its release, saying, I know everybody was expecting gang-bang, 40-ounce, low-rider music, Im telling a real story, and maybe there are people out there who can relate to my experiences. Rolling Stone observed that every song has a hook and some immediate appeal. The Documentarys big budget production from hip hop producers was well received from critics. The first half of the album upbeat, gangsta boogie tracks with the other half relegating smoothed out R&B maneuvers
9. Doggumentary – Doggumentary is the eleventh studio album by American West Coast hip hop recording artist Snoop Dogg. It was released on March 29,2011 with the record labels and it was supported by the singles, Wet and Boom. Doggumentary received mixed reviews from most critics, the album debuted at number eight on the US Billboard 200. The album serves as the follow-up to Snoops tenth studio album Malice n Wonderland, Snoop Dogg first announced that he was working on a sequel to his 1993 debut album Doggystyle during a studio session with Hip hop producer and rapper Swizz Beatz. The two stated they knocked out eighteen tracks and Snoop ended the video out saying he gave him some gangsta tracks, some R&B tracks, I have been in the game for so long and still have the same passion I did when I first started. I want my fans to ride with me on one and know that I am so focused on bringing good music to them. Its called Doggumentary Music because this is my life and I want to share my music, rap-Up reported that Snoop Dogg has recorded with Wiz Khalifa on a track, titled “This Weed Iz Mine. Snoop told OK. magazine about Perry, Shes a sweet girl, like I said, Im looking forward to her being on my record as well. Snoop Dogg also recorded with Damon Albarns animated alternative hip hop group Gorillaz, the track made me wanna sing & have fun & what not I dont give a fuck, its like maybe I can smoke witchu maybe I cant, you know what Im saying. Snoop Dogg revealed to MTV that he was looking to get a Britney Spears duet for the album, on November 27,2010 Snoop Dogg was in the studio with producer David Banner who produced two beats for him. However, on February 9,2011, EMI released a poster that announced some of the guests, which included Kanye West, Wiz Khalifa, Gorillaz, R. Kelly, T-Pain, Young Jeezy, E-40, and more. The producers include Kanye West, Lex Luger, Scott Storch, David Guetta, the Cataracs, Battlecat, Fredwreck, and more. Snoop Dogg announced via Twitter that he would be joining the ranks of emcees Kanye West, Timbaland, Crooked I, dubbed Puff Puff Pass Tuesdays, Snoop plans to release a new song each week starting January 11,2011, until the release of his album. Doggumentary received mixed reviews from most music critics, rave Magazine gave it two-and-a-half stars. Doggumentary debuted at number 8 on the US Billboard 200 chart, in its second week the album fell to number 35 on the Billboard 200 selling 14,000 copies. In its third week, the album dropped to number 65 on the chart, selling 7,800 copies, as of December 2013, the album sales 385,000 copies in the United States. New Years Eve was the first official single released from Doggumentary, it was released on November 5,2010. The track peaked on the Hot R&B/Hip-Hop Songs at number 66, the song features American singer and songwriter Marty James and is produced by Scoop DeVille, producer of Snoops 2009 single I Wanna Rock
10. Doo-Wops & Hooligans – Doo-Wops & Hooligans is the debut studio album by American singer-songwriter Bruno Mars. It was released on October 4,2010 through Atlantic Records, Mars writing and production team The Smeezingtons were credited with writing all songs and serve as the albums executive producers. The albums title refers to music and was chosen to reflect simplicity. Two digital singles—Liquor Store Blues featuring Damian Marley and Grenade—were released to promote the album. The lead single Just the Way You Are was released on July 20,2010, Doo-Wops & Hooligans charted at number 3 on the Billboard 200 and in the top ten of music charts in Australia, Canada, Ireland, and New Zealand. The album received positive reviews from music critics. The usage of a variety of influences was noted by critics, with musical comparisons made to Michael Jackson, Jason Mraz. The album received a total of seven nominations for the Grammy Awards in 2011 and 2012, including Album of the Year, Mars embarked on a US headlining tour throughout November and December 2010 to promote the album. Doo-Wops & Hooligans was announced the third biggest-selling album of 2011 in the United Kingdom, the album has sold over 6 million copies worldwide. The release of Doo-Wops & Hooligans was announced during a release on August 25,2010, following the release of Mars debut EP, Its Better If You Dont Understand. Speaking to MTV News, Mars said the EP gave an effect of whats in store for the album. The album cover was released on August 30,2010. The official track listing was revealed by Atlantic Records on September 9,2010, three of the four songs from Its Better If You Dont Understand are included on the album. On the title of the album, Mars said, Doo-wop is a special word for me. Because I grew up listening to my dad who, as a Fifties rock & roll head, plus doo wop songs come from a time back in the day when there were no TRICKS. You just needed a beautiful melody, you needed a beautiful voice, so the doo-wop part is for the women. But then because, on album, I have records that women are going to relate to and men are going to relate to. In addition, he told 4Music, It explains the two sides of me, Doo-wop is a special form of music I grew up on
11. Echo (Leona Lewis album) – Echo is the second studio album by British singer and songwriter Leona Lewis. It was released on 9 November 2009 including 16 November in the United Kingdom and its worldwide release was through Sony Music. Lewis worked with Ryan Tedder, Justin Timberlake, Max Martin, John Shanks, the album was preceded by the single Happy, released on 15 September 2009. I Got You was released as the single in February 2010. The song My Hands was used as the song for the video game Final Fantasy XIII. The album achieved success, peaking within the top twenty in nine countries. As with Lewiss debut album, Spirit, each of Echos producers were enlisted by her mentors Simon Cowell, unlike her debut album where she travelled between cities, Lewis remained in Los Angeles for the recording of Echo, which took nine months to produce. It contains ballads, racier tracks and dancefloor anthems, Lewis titled the album Echo since an echo describes a big, organic sound, and it appealed to her love of fantasy as Echo was a nymph who, in Greek mythology, pined away till only her voice remained. In August 2009 Lewis told her official website, Im in the midst of the process, working with incredible songwriters and producers. Its so exciting to create something new and she also said, Im actually more confident with this album than the last. Ive taken more control this time and I feel more at ease with everything, Lewis worked with Ryan Tedder, producer of her second single Bleeding Love, on the albums lead single Happy, written by Lewis, Tedder and Evan Bogart, and You Dont Care. Tedder commented, I pushed vocally more on this song than any song shes ever done, I mean, she did some stuff on Happy thats awesome, but this other song she takes it to another level. The song Lost Then Found was also co-written by Tedder and Lewis along with Dan Muckala, Jess Cates and Lindy Robbins, another Tedder song, Shadows, was written with AJ McLean for the Backstreet Boys. After it failed to make the Backstreet Boys album, Cowell wanted it for Lewis, arnthor Birgisson worked with Lewis on the songs My Hands and Heartbeat, which were written by Ina Wroldsen and Birgisson. My Hands features on Echo, while Heartbeat is the B-side for the second single. Max Martin and Birgisson worked with Lewis on the song I Got You with Martin also contributing to the dance track Outta My Head written by Martin, Johan Karl Schuster, Schuster also produced the upbeat Naked along with Kristian Lundin. It was written by Lewis, Lundin and Kotecha, John Shanks produced two songs, a ballad and an uptempo song, one of which is Broken, written by Shanks, Novel and Lewis. Julian Bunetta worked with Lewis along with Andrew Frampton to produce Brave, kevin Rudolf produced Love Letter, which he co-wrote with J. Kasher
12. The Element of Freedom – The Element of Freedom is the fourth studio album by American singer and songwriter Alicia Keys, released on December 11,2009, by J Records. Recording sessions for the album took place during May to September 2009 at The Oven Studios in Long Island, production was handled by Keys, Jeff Bhasker, Swizz Beatz, Noah 40 Shebib, Toby Gad and Kerry Krucial Brothers. Departing from the classicist soul music of Keys previous albums, The Element of Freedom has a mid-tempo, low-key sound, the album debuted at number two on the US Billboard 200 chart, selling 417,000 copies in its first week. It became Keys first non-number-one album in the United States and her first number-one album in the United Kingdom, the Element of Freedom was certified platinum by the Recording Industry Association of America within its first month of release and produced five singles that attained chart success. Upon its release, the album received positive reviews from music critics. Keys supported album with a tour, The Freedom Tour. By August 2012, The Element of Freedom had sold four million copies worldwide. She described The Element of Freedom as diverse, but noted there is a balance. She explained that one side is strong and one side is vulnerable, the album has a strong, edgy feel, but is also intimate and vulnerable and delicate. While on BETs 106 & Park, she described the album, Keys revealed to The Times that in the period she was recording the album, she listened to artists such as Genesis, Tears for Fears, Fleetwood Mac and The Police. The Element of Freedom was scheduled to be released on December 1,2009, to correspond with World AIDS Day, but was pushed back to December 15 for additional recording. According to the vice president of urban marketing for J Records, Keys had a couple of more things in the oven. Keys pointed out that she felt the album was being rushed for no reason. In an interview with Scottish newspaper The Scotsman, she stated that it seems unfair to have to rush these songs that were still coming and it was just two weeks difference, but it made for an even better record. Keys began working on the album in May 2009, during this time, Keys and her audio engineer bought several vintage keyboards, describing the Moog as her special best friend. Recording took place in The Oven Studios in Long Island, New York, Keys expressed that she didnt know what to do when she began working on the album, but knew to do it. After exhausting herself, she stated that she found the key. She explained that the album dealt with overcoming depression and she went on to say, I found more freedom
13. For Your Entertainment (album) – For Your Entertainment is the debut studio album by American singer Adam Lambert, which he started to record after the end of the eighth season of American Idol. It was released on November 23,2009 by RCA Records, three singles have been released from the album worldwide, For Your Entertainment, Whataya Want from Me and If I Had You while Sleepwalker has been released in some countries as the fourth single. Fever, Sure Fire Winners and Aftermath were released as singles in select countries. The album peaked at number 3 on the Billboard 200 and reached Gold, the albums second single Whataya Want from Me became an international hit reaching the top ten in fourteen countries. The album was supported by Lamberts first concert tour, the 2010 Glam Nation Tour, on October 28, Lambert announced that the lead single would be For Your Entertainment produced by Dr. Luke. He tweeted, Debut single is called For Your Entertainment and he also confirmed a song called Soaked written by Matthew Bellamy of Muse and a song called Music Again written by Justin Hawkins of The Darkness. Another song from Justin Hawkins titled Suburban Decay was also considered for the album and he also stated that he co-wrote six of the songs on the album, Strut, Pick U Up, Voodoo, Down The Rabbit Hole, Aftermath and Broken Open. Lambert also announced through Twitter that he had collaborated with Lady Gaga, yes its true, I spent yesterday in the studio with the insanely talented and creative Lady Gaga recording a song that she wrote. The guitar solo on the song Sleepwalker was performed by Orianthi, to promote the albums release, several songs from the album were performed live on AOL Sessions. On November 25,2009, Lambert performed his single Whataya Want from Me on the Late Show with David Letterman and he later appeared on The Tonight Show with Conan OBrien on December 14,2009, and performed his single. He provided another live performance two days later on the finale of So You Think You Can Dance. Appearing with other artists, Lamberts Whataya Want from Me stole the show. Earlier that day, he appeared on Chelsea Lately, with host Chelsea Handler, Lambert appeared for the first time on The Jay Leno Show on December 21,2009, giving a lengthy interview and performing Whataya Want from Me. He was invited back in March 2010 to close the episode of The Tonight Show featuring Jay Leno. Lambert performed his newly released single If I Had You on Lenos May 21,2010, Lambert then went on a series of promotional interviews and performances to address the controversy, clear up rumours, discuss his rise to fame, and promote the album. Interviews included The Ellen DeGeneres Show, The View, and The Oprah Winfrey Show, on the March 10, Lambert performed on VH1s Unplugged, where he sang stripped-down versions of songs off the album. During the spring of 2010, Lambert undertook a series of interviews in Europe and Asia. A few days prior, he was interviewed for the Fuse TV On the Record segment, in March, as part of his swing through Australia to promote his album, he performed on So You Think You Can Dance, as well as the popular morning show Sunrise
14. Girl on Fire (album) – Girl on Fire is the fifth studio album by American recording artist Alicia Keys. The album, which was released on November 22,2012, is Keys first release with RCA Records following Sony Music Entertainments decision to close J Records during a company reshuffle. Girl on Fire was conceived shortly after Keys marriage to record producer and rapper Swizz Beatz as well as the birth of her first child and it is an R&B album with a mixture of conventional genre songs and piano ballads, some of which touch on Keys marriage and motherhood. The album sold 159,000 copies in its first week in the United States and it was a considerable drop from her previous effort, The Element of Freedom, which opened at number 2 with sales of 417,000 units. The lead single was the track, it charted at number 2 Hot R&B/Hip-Hop Songs and number 11 on the Billboard Hot 100. The second single, Brand New Me, was released to US urban adult contemporary radio stations. Upon its release, Girl on Fire received generally positive reviews music critics. The album has spawned two further singles, The second international single New Day and the third US urban adult contemporary single Fire We Make. At 56th Grammy Awards the album won in the Best R&B Album category, as of October 2016, Girl on Fire has sold 1,100,000 copies in the United States. Girl on Fire is Keys fifth studio album, and follow up to 2009s The Element of Freedom. It also serves as the singers first release under RCA Records, Keys had also either appeared on or produced material for several other artists including work on Kanye West, Emeli Sandé and Miguels albums. Essence reported that Keys began working on the album in February 2011, speaking on how the events of the last three years inspired her during an interview with Billboard, Keys stated, These last three years have been the most in every way. The most newest, the most difficult, the most loving, the most dream-filled, an entire crazy dynamic of lessons and emotions to grow into and claim. This whirlwind has definitely forced me to be who I am, to be free enough, speaking on how Girl on Fire was different to The Element of Freedom, Keys said, Ive stepped more into my business and really. Taken control for how I want that to be, so every way that Ive created now is totally in a new space. Its more in a space of who I am and what story it is that Im trying to tell, what it is Im going through. And its really important for me to describe that and say that exactly how I see it, everything feels like brand new to me. Keys even explained that the title is a slight reference to Katniss Everdeen
15. Grand Romantic – Grand Romantic is the debut studio album of Nate Ruess, lead vocalist from The Format and Fun. It was released on June 16,2015, by Fueled By Ramen, the album was produced by Some Nights producer Jeff Bhasker. Following the hiatus of Fun, Ruess announced that he would be working on material for a solo project, the album received a generally positive reception but critics said that it was overly theatrical in terms of production, lyricism and vocal delivery. Grand Romantic debuted at number 7 on the Billboard 200 and spawned four singles, Nothing Without Love, AhHa, Great Big Storm, on June 10, the album was made available for streaming on the MTV website. Later the same day, the AhHa visualizer video was released, Grand Romantic received positive reviews but music critics were divided over Ruess musical vision in terms of production, lyrics and performance. At Metacritic, which assigns a rating out of 100 to reviews from mainstream critics. Awarding the album four of five stars, Jack Appleby of Alternative Press wrote that Grand Romantic is proof-positive more Nate Ruess is always a good thing. Alfred Soto of Spin criticized Ruess for his inability to tone down his style or deliver songs that stood out on the album. Its all hard angles, offering no cushion for the screech, alongside the release of this album, The Grand Romantic, a 28 minute short film starring Nate Ruess was also released. It features a number of songs from this album, adapted from the Grand Romantic liner notes
16. GRRR! – GRRR. is a greatest hits album by The Rolling Stones. Released on 9 November 2012 in Europe, and the rest of the world on 12 November, the album features two new songs titled Doom and Gloom and One More Shot, which were recorded in August 2012. Doom and Gloom peaked at No.61 in the UK Charts, No.26 on the Billboard Japan Hot 100, Rolling Stone named Doom and Gloom the 18th best song of 2012. The album reached #3 on the UK Albums Chart and #19 on the Billboard 200 and it went on to sell over 2 million copies worldwide. The artwork depicts a gorilla with the Stones tongue-and-lips logo created by John Pasche and it Makes Me Think of that Awful Day on the Island. Ford explained that he saw the Rolling Stones as a sort of silverback, ” and the band could be compared to Kong due to their kind of enormity of their accomplishment over the period of 50 years. ”The band approved the image declaring that “The irreverence of Walton Ford’s imagery captured the spirit of the tour”, but fans were not so welcoming. Limited editions of the art were made by Ford and put on sale, an augmented reality app allowed to see an animated version of the GRRR. cover. Hingston Studios handled the art direction, including the handwritten font used in the cover. All songs by Mick Jagger and Keith Richards, except where noted, on The Rolling Stones official website
17. Human (Brandy album) – Human is the fifth studio album by American singer Brandy, first released in France in December 2008 and by March 2009 in most international music markets. With a domestic total of 214,000 copies, it widely failed to revive the success of its predecessors. In mid-2009 during the sessions for Norwoods second album with Epic Records. This was followed by the termination of her contract with Epic, disappointed by its performance, Norwood later expressed her dislike of the album itself. Despite the negative publicity, Afrodisiac emerged as Norwoods most critically acclaimed album by then, at the end of 2004, after eleven years with the company, Norwood asked for and received an unconditional release from her original label Atlantic Records. Completing her contract with Atlantic Records, an album compiling her first four studio albums with the company. Norwood began recording the album in 2005, the duo produced several songs for Norwood, including both Honey and Sweet Nothings, all of which were penned by frequent collaborator Kenisha Pratt. Over the following months, Norwood continued recording contract-free with a vast of producers such as Rockwilder, supposed to produce her whole album at the time, they worked on a number of ballads and midtempo songs reminiscent of their other productions, including a song called Cry. In June 2006, Cox announced that he would serve as the executive producer. In December 2006, Norwood was involved in an automobile accident on Los Angeles San Diego Freeway. The accident claimed the life of the 38-year-old driver of a Toyota that was struck by Norwoods Range Rover, Norwood was neither arrested nor charged with vehicular manslaughter due to insufficient evidence. Nevertheless, multiple lawsuits were filed against Norwood, all of which were settled out of court by her civil attorney. Posing an extraordinary hardship for Brandy and her family, Norwood stepped down from her role as a judge on the season of the amateur talent contest Americas Got Talent and went into hiatus. Expanding on dealing with the aftermath of the tragedy, Norwood explained and its not something that should be talked about like its gossip. But dont use this situation to try to hurt me, because the guilt of being involved is enough and its something that Ill never truly, truly get over. While the accident put a halt on the production, Norwood soon resumed recording which she found to be therapeutical, I had to face it. Connecting back with music has helped me through everything. Once I got back in the studio, the butterflies went away, together, they crafted a bunch of new songs, including Freedom, One Thing and Today which Norwood later described as sounding more true to the sound that she had initially envisioned for the album
18. It's Better If You Don't Understand – Its Better If You Dont Understand is the debut extended play by American singer Bruno Mars. Its title comes from the lyrics of one of its songs. The EP consists of four tracks and incorporates pop, pop rock, the record was made available for digital download on May 11,2010 by Elektra Records in the United States, and on August 11,2010 by Atlantic Records in France. The song Count on Me was not featured on the track list of the latter release, to promote the album, Mars released a home video for the recording The Other Side. The EP peaked at number 99 on the Billboard 200 in the United States, as of 2011, it has sold 27,000 copies in the US. The Other Side peaked on the UK Singles Chart at number 117, in an interview, with Los Angeles Times, Mars admitted he regrets to have wasted the title of this record. In an interview with Rap-Up, Mars explained that the song Somewhere in Brooklyn is dedicated to his father who is from Brooklyn, adding that, lyrically, a girl is the subject of Mars attention. After they met briefly, he tries to find her somewhere in Brooklyn. Ari Levine talked in an interview with Sound on Sound about producing some of Mars songs, the Other Side, whose production was re-arranged, was intended for somebody else, and several people wrote parts of the track. Concerning the lyrics concept Mars said that they describe, the lifestyle you end up living as an artist and he also explained that the title of the record came from the final lyrics of one of its songs, The Other Side. In the same interview, Levine explained that Talking to the Moon took a time to record, while he, Mars. As a result, the song was arranged and produced in four different ways, when the team started composing the track, they only had the first verse and the horns. However their gut told them they were onto something, at one point the team, had three different bridges and spent a lot of time trying to find out which one was the best. Jeff Bhasker also collaborated on the tracks composition, Talking to the Moon was the first song written for Mars debut release once the three of them finished working with other artists and focused on the EP. Its Better If You Dont Understand is composed of four songs employing pop, pop rock, Mars explained that the EP is hard to classify since, I just write songs that I strongly believe in and that are coming from inside. And Im singing the s*** out of them, a romantic soft and smooth recording, the opening track, Somewhere in Brooklyn, was composed by The Smeezingtons. It features a backing beat, electronic pops and bleeps. Lyrically, the tune is about Mars chasing the woman who got away
19. Love Stuff – Love Stuff is the debut studio album by American singer and songwriter Elle King. It was released physically and digitally in the United States on February 13,2015, the album was mastered by Stephen Marcussen at Marcussen Mastering, which is located in Hollywood, California. The album was recorded at studios throughout the United States. The album was preceded by its lead single Exs & Ohs, which was released on September 23,2014, the album made history by being the first ever number 1 album on the UK Americana chart, which launched on 28th January 2016. Exs & Ohs was released on September 23,2014 as the lead single. The song later crossed over to an audience and became a number-one hit on the Adult Pop Songs chart in addition to spending one week in the top 10 of the all-genre Billboard Hot 100. Exs & Ohs received two nominations at the 58th Grammy Awards, for Best Rock Performance and Best Rock Song, the second rock single from the album is Under the Influence, released to AAA radio on December 14,2015 modern rock radio on December 15. Americas Sweetheart was released on February 8,2016 as the mainstream single and third overall released from Love Stuff
20. Man on the Moon: The End of Day – Man on the Moon, The End of Day is the debut studio album by American hip hop recording artist Kid Cudi, released on September 15,2009, by Dream On, GOOD Music and Universal Motown. A concept album, narrated by fellow American rapper Common, it follows the release of his first mixtape A Kid Named Cudi. Production for the album took place during 2007 to 2009 and was handled by several producers, including Cudi, Kanye West, Emile Haynie, Plain Pat. Dot da Genius and Jeff Bhasker, among others, Man on the Moon, The End of Day spawned three singles—Day n Nite, Make Her Say and Pursuit of Happiness—that attained chart success, the former of which became a US platinum-certified hit single. To further promote the album, he toured with Asher Roth and Lady Gaga, Man on the Moon, The End of Day received generally positive reviews from critics, who praised it for its music composition and different approach to being a hip-hop record. Aside from being included on critics list of the best albums of the year, Man on the Moon, The End of Day received three Grammy Awards nominations. The album debuted at four on both the Billboard 200 and Billboards Top Rap Albums chart, selling 104,000 copies in its first week of release in the United States. It later became certified Gold by the Recording Industry Association of America, outside of the US, the album was less commercially successful, generally peaking outside of the top fifty positions of album charts. According to AllMusic, soon after it was announced that Cudi would release this album it became deep in the category of much anticipated and he said that without those song successes Man on the Moon, The End of Day would not have been picked up by any major labels. Cudi, who became Wests protege and collaborator, hoped Man on the Moon, The End of Day would show people that he had his own voice and set him apart. The record was originally titled Man on the Moon, The Guardians, Performance artist Andy Kaufman partly inspired the new title. He planned for this record to be the first in a trilogy, with the edition being entitled The Ghost. Before the success of Day n Nite, the rapper had said that he would never try to mix politics or jocular things in with his lyrical content. After realizing the power of his voice he then decided to make important and unique songs, focusing on the message, rather than just creating inane music. He said his mode of operation at time was just, Hey, Im making these cool sounding songs and I have little messages in them. I dont speak like a nerdy guy, I speak like a regular dude. He wrote Day n Nite after the death of his uncle, the two were not on speaking terms after his uncle forced him out of his home before Cudi could find another living situation. A bitter Cudi never apologized to him before his death, which he now regrets, other songs on the album expand upon themes discussed in that single
21. Man on the Moon II: The Legend of Mr. Rager – Man on the Moon II, The Legend of Mr. Rager is the second studio album by American hip hop recording artist Kid Cudi. It was released on November 9,2010, by GOOD Music, the album was supported by two singles, Erase Me featuring Kanye West and Mr. Rager. Man on the Moon II, The Legend of Mr. Rager debuted at three on the Billboard 200, selling 169,000 copies during its first week of release. The album received positive reviews from critics. On July 26,2012, the album was certified Gold by the Recording Industry Association of America, Jim Jonsin compared Cudis blending of sounds to B. o. Bs genre-bending album The Adventures of Bobby Ray, stating Its a mix. Its kind of some stuff, some hip-hop traditional rap stuff. Cudi later said that Jonsin had misinformed fans about the new album, I got mad love for Jim but he was misinformed. Cudi stated that Man On The Moon II is dark by nature and instead of bringing you into my dreams like my first album, Im bringing you into my reality, good and it will explain more of who I am as well as pushing the envelope musically. Cudi also stated he has scrapped the collaborative theme of Cudder for a project that is more personal and he also discusses his former cocaine addiction on the album. On August 24,2010, the song Erase Me was released digitally on iTunes, on October 25,2010, the song Mr. Rager was released digitally via iTunes as the albums second single. The albums first promotional single titled Revofev, which stands for Revolution of Evolution, was released through Kid Cudis website on June 17,2010, the song was produced by Plain Pat. Man on the Moon II, The Legend of Mr. Rager received generally positive reviews from critics, at Metacritic, which assigns a normalized rating out of 100 to reviews from mainstream publications, the album received an average score of 69, based on 20 reviews. Entertainment Weeklys Simon Vozick-Levinson called it a cohesively constructed concept album that will reward repeat listens, chicago Tribune writer Greg Kot complimented Cudis themes of the stoned-and-alone rapper and stated, the music is as consuming and intoxicating as the lifestyle Cudi describes. AllMusic writer David Jeffries said that, just like on his debut, mark Beaumont of NME called it a grungy, filthy record full of angels and demons. Pitchforks Jayson Greene called Man on the Moon II a bumpy listen, in a mixed review, Michaelangelo Matos of The A. V. Club found Cudis delivery insouciant and the music merely listenable, without much grasp of any of the styles or modes he tries out. Rolling Stones Jonah Weiner commended its dramatic, breathtakingly stark production, but vulnerability loses its power when it’s calculated to sound dramatic and masculine. In 2012, Complex named the one of the classic albums of the last decade
22. The Marshall Mathers LP 2 – The Marshall Mathers LP2 is the eighth studio album by American rapper Eminem. Aftermath Entertainment, Shady Records, and Interscope Records released the album on November 5,2013 and it serves as a sequel to The Marshall Mathers LP. The Marshall Mathers LP2 features guest appearances from singers Skylar Grey, Rihanna, Nate Ruess and it was followed by two more singles, Survival and Rap God. The former debuted at number 17 on the Billboard Hot 100, the Monster featuring Rihanna, was released as the albums fourth single on October 29,2013. It went number one in countries and was certified triple platinum in the United States. The albums fifth single, Headlights featuring Ruess, was released on February 5,2014, the Marshall Mathers LP2 received positive reviews from music critics, who praised Eminems technical rapping abilities and production choices. The album marked an improvement in reception over some of Eminems more recent albums and it also debuted at number one on the US Billboard 200 and was the second-best selling album sales of 2013. As of early 2014, the album has sold 3.8 million copies worldwide, the album won the Grammy Award for Best Rap Album at the 57th Grammy Awards. On May 24,2012, Eminem revealed that he has been working on his next album, on June 30,2012, Eminem talked about the album with DJ Whoo Kid, on his own radio station, Shade 45. He stated that the material was taking shape, and that Dr. Dre will be involved in some way, Eminem explained, I usually get going and kind of start going a certain direction and just record what Im feeling. Then Ill go see Dre and fill in some of those pieces, on August 1,2012, Nick Craig interviewed Eminem on Channel 95. Now Ive got time to be able to start doing things for my own project, royce da 59 appeared on MTVs RapFix, hosted by Calloway, with his group Slaughterhouse, on August 30,2012, and talked about Eminems album. Royce confessed, Marshall is the right now, laying the most awesome lyrics in the world. Im not so sure how the world is going to respond from some of the things that Ive heard from him, on February 8,2013, Shady Records president and Eminems manager Paul Rosenberg told Billboard that Eminems eighth studio album would be released after Memorial Day,2013. We fully expect to be releasing a new Eminem album in 2013, Hes been working on it for some time, said Rosenberg. Its safe to say that it will be post-Memorial Day at some point, weve got some dates locked in for him to perform live in Europe in August, so were trying to see what else lines up. On March 22,2013, during an interview with Power 106, Dr. Dre said that he was working with Eminem, and that Eminem was finishing up his project. On June 17,2013, Shady Records producer The Alchemist appeared on RapFix Live, I DJ for him and Im not at liberty to speak on much, but you know his caliber and what he does
23. My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy – My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy is the fifth studio album by American hip hop rapper and producer Kanye West. Following a period of public and legal controversy, West retreated to an exile in Hawaii in 2009. There, he worked on the album in a communal recording environment that involved numerous contributing musicians, the album features guest appearances from Bon Iver, Jay Z, Pusha T, Rick Ross, Kid Cudi, Nicki Minaj, John Legend and more. Production is led by West himself, alongside a variety of record producers including Mike Dean. Jeff Bhasker, RZA, S1, Bink and DJ Frank E, the album deals with themes of excess and celebrity, and explores such issues as consumer culture, race, and the idealism of the American Dream. My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy was released on November 22,2010, to promote the album, West released free songs through his GOOD Fridays series and four singles, the Billboard hits Power, Monster, and Runaway, and the international hit All of the Lights. It was also promoted with a film set to the records music. The album debuted at one on the Billboard 200 and eventually sold 1,032,000 copies in the United States. A widespread critical success, it was named the best record of 2010 by many publications and has appeared on several lists ranking the greatest albums of all time. The album was conceived during Wests self-imposed exile in Oahu, Hawaii, following a period of legal and public image controversy amid an overworked mental state. West later said that his fatigue from overworking led to his controversial outburst at the 2009 MTV Video Music Awards, his disgust with its ensuing media response and it was formerly known as Good Ass Job and tentatively Dark Twisted Fantasy. GOOD Music artist Big Sean was the second to announce the title of the album as Good Ass Job, on July 24,2010, on Kanye Wests blog, a banner appeared reading My Dark Twisted Fantasy Trailer. On July 28,2010, West announced via his new official Twitter account that The album is no longer called Good Ass Job Im bouncing a couple of titles around now, the official title, My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy, was announced on October 5,2010. It was reported that West spent over $3 million in expenses from his record label Def Jam on the recording. Drake, Common, Jay-Z, Eminem, Lil Wayne, John Legend, Fergie, Rihanna, The-Dream, Ryan Leslie, Elton John, Justin Vernon, Seal, Beyoncé, Kid Cudi, Mos Def, Santigold, Alicia Keys, Elly Jackson, and Tony Williams. Record producers who participated in the sessions with West included Q-Tip, RZA, DJ Premier, Madlib, Madlib said he made five beats for the album, while DJ Premier said his beats were ultimately discarded. West, who had recorded at Avex for 808s & Heartbreak. According to Noah Callahan-Bever, who visited West during the recording sessions and he heads to another studio room to make progress on another song
24. Native (album) – Native is the third studio album by American pop rock band OneRepublic. It was released on March 22,2013 in Germany and Ireland, March 25 worldwide except North America, the album was originally planned to be released at the end of 2012 with the lead single being Feel Again, which was released on August 27,2012. However, due to the not being completed at the time. Feel Again was later branded as a single, and on January 8,2013. The most successful single was the third single Counting Stars, which peaked at two on the Billboard Hot 100, becoming their highest-charting hit since Apologize also peaked there in 2007. The albums fourth single, Something I Need, has since been certified 3× Platinum in Australia and Gold in New Zealand, peaking in the top 5 in both countries. Fifth single Love Runs Out charted in the top 5 in thirteen countries, including the United Kingdom, whilst the sixth, the album received positive reviews from critics. It charted in the top 20 in eleven countries worldwide and it has been certified Platinum in the United States, Australia and the United Kingdom. The band stated that they were not rushing it, saying that the album has to literally be the best thing ever done. The artwork for the album was brought up on the idea of how different each member of the group is from each other, Kutzle also came up with the idea of calling the album Native. According to Kutzle, it means indigenous to every country and how different they are as individuals, in support of the album, OneRepublic launched the Native Tour on April 2,2013. Beginning in Europe, the band performed a total of 21 shows throughout April, in June 2013, they announced a second leg, to be played alongside Sara Bareilles which was to take place through 52 shows across North America until October. From here they would travel to Asia for a total of six shows across Lebanon, China, Malaysia, Singapore, Indonesia and their final leg for 2013 was across Australia and New Zealand, marking their largest tour across Australia and their first visit to New Zealand. On January 29,2014, the began their second European leg. They played a total of 22 shows in February and early March, the band then traveled to the United Kingdom where they played seven shows, beginning in London on March 16 and ending back in London on March 27 after a trip through the UK and Ireland. On May 10,2014 the band embarked on their second US tour, their Native Summer Tour and they played a total of 48 shows, ending in Aspen, Colorado on August 30. On April 8,2014, the band announced a seventh leg of the tour, and this leg would mark the bands first arena tour, and would include their first show at The O2 Arena in London. They played a total of 23 shows across Europe, ending at the Meo Arena in Lisbon and this marks OneRepublics largest tour to date, playing a total of 185 shows throughout 2013-14
25. Perfectionist (album) – Perfectionist is the debut studio album by English singer Teddy Sinclair under the name Natalia Kills. It was released on 1 April 2011 through will. i. am Music Group, Cherrytree Records, KonLive, despite having started out as an actress, Sinclair later became a rap artist and released a single in 2005, however, her label went bankrupt. Songwriting remained her principal activity until 2008, when she was signed by will. i. am, Sinclair worked with musicians including Fernando Garibay, Jeff Bhasker, and Martin Kierszenbaum, and created a concept album based on perfectionism. Its lyrical content contains references to love, sex, and money, complemented by a sonority rooted in synthpop, dance-pop, Perfectionist received mixed reviews from music critics, who asserted that the singers visual projects were superior to her music. Obtaining top 50 positions in some European countries, the album performed moderately on record charts. In the United Kingdom and United States, the set attained chiefly low positions, in the latter, the album spawned three singles—Mirrors, Wonderland and Free—which were generally successful in Europe and were accompanied by music videos. Mirrors managed to peak within the top 5 of the US Hot Dance Club Songs, in association with Guillaume Doubet, Kills produced a web series titled Love, Kills xx in order to promote the album, based on her secret thoughts and desires. Comprising 10 episodes, it features Sinclair seeking revenge and hurting men, Kills was introduced to singing and dancing at the age of 3, and until she was 12, she studied in the London Academy of Music and Dramatic Art. Kills initially pursued a career, appearing in some TV series including All About Me and The Archers, however, in her hometown of Leeds. She subsequently entered various rap battles, for which she started writing lyrics, from there on, she began writing songs for artists and film soundtracks. Kills released her first single on 21 February 2005, titled Dont Play Nice, under the moniker Verbalicious and with label All Around the World and she was also recording for her debut studio album, then-scheduled for an Easter 2006 release. However, the label entered bankruptcy, causing her record deal to be dissolved, Kills continued to work in the music industry, mainly as a songwriter with the alias of Verbz. One of Kills demos, Shopaholic, was remixed by the Remix Artist Collective, after it was posted in American blogger Perez Hiltons blog, Kills MySpace received a high amount of views, and she reached the top of the social networks unsigned artists chart. While shopping, she was noticed by a man due to her clothing, and gave him her address, he subsequently introduced her to a DJ. In November 2008, she signed a contract with the record label. Kills started to prepare material for Perfectionist after establishing her record deal with will. i. am, during the recording sessions, Kills prominently worked with producers Jeff Bhasker, Fernando Garibay, the albums second executive producer Martin Kierszenbaum, and Theron The-Ron Feemster. Akon and Giorgio Tuinfort co-produced Mirrors in collaboration with Kierszenbaum, Bhasker was responsible for the entire albums songwriting and engineering, and mixed Zombie. Feemster and Tuinfort provided instrumentation, along with Zach Kasik, Carlos Keery-Fisher, more artists including Robert Horn and Tony Ugyal were commissioned for engineering
26. Red (Taylor Swift album) – Red is the fourth studio album by American singer-songwriter Taylor Swift. It was released on October 22,2012, by Big Machine Records, as the follow-up to her studio album. Red touches on Swifts signature themes of love and heartbreak, however, from a mature perspective while exploring other themes such as fame. The album features collaborations with producers and guest artists such as Gary Lightbody of Snow Patrol, Swift completed The Red Tour in support of the album on June 12,2014, which became the highest-grossing tour of all time by a country artist, grossing over $150 million. Red was well received by critics and earned Swift Grammy Award nominations for Best Country Album and Album of the Year and it debuted at number one on the US Billboard 200 chart, giving Swift her third consecutive chart topper in the US. Its first week sales of 1.21 million was the third biggest debut in history for a female artist and it made music history for claiming the biggest first week sales of all time by a country act, the record previously held by Garth Brooks. Red is just the 18th album in United States history to one million copies in a single week. Worldwide, Red has sold 6 million copies as of August 2014 and it was Swifts third consecutive top-seller and the second best-seller overall across all genres despite being out only for two months. This makes the fourth time Swift has an album ranked in the top three sellers. Red has been certified platinum by the Recording Industry Association of America. All those emotions — spanning from intense love, intense frustration, jealousy, confusion, all of that — in my mind and you know, theres nothing in between. Theres nothing beige about any of those feelings, contrary to her previous self-written album Speak Now, Swift enlisted the help of several of her favorite songwriters. In an interview with MTV News, the revealed that the album is interesting because each song stands on its own. Its this patchwork quilt of different sounds and different emotions, and I dont think anything on the record sounds like We Are Never Ever Getting Back Together and she also previewed songs from the album on Good Morning America every Monday, beginning on September 24 until October 15. Swift performed on October 22 for the release, and the next day. According to the singer she had spent over two years with the process, writing and preparation for the album. Sarah Barlow shot the cover, which shows Swifts face. The standard and deluxe versions of the album were released on October 22,2012 in Italy, New Zealand, the United States, among others
27. Some Nights (album) – Some Nights is the second studio album by American indie pop band fun. It was released on February 21,2012 through Fueled by Ramen and it was recorded in 2011 and produced by Jeff Bhasker. After signing to a new label, the band began to work on Some Nights for over nine months throughout 2011, in some countries, the album received a Parental Advisory sticker due to the usage of the word fuck in the albums title track and Some Nights. In the United States, it was added after the album was released and we Are Young was released as the lead single from the album and bolstered the band to mainstream success with the aid of television and advertising. It topped the US Billboard Hot 100 for six weeks and Alternative Songs for two weeks, with six million digital downloads. The title track was commissioned as the single and has reached #3 on the Billboard Hot 100 chart. The album has received mixed reviews according to Metacritic, the band later won the Grammy Award for Best New Artist, and We Are Young won the Grammy Award for Song of the Year. Fun received four other Grammy nominations, two for We Are Young and two for the album itself, Fun. signed to Fueled by Ramen in late 2010. The transition was in the works with the label for almost nine months, Ruess was flattered that employed workers for the label would buy their own tickets to Fun. shows and talk about us with the passion youd generally reserve for an artist youre working with. After lengthy discussions within the band, the decided to give the label a try. Ruess recalls that he was listening to so much hip-hop during the production that it became a big influence for him, the band felt inspired and gradually began working on new songs, each carrying an obvious hip-hop influence. Consciously, the band working in the hip-hop factor and realized they wanted a hip-hop producer. After scanning the liner notes of his other records, Ruess noticed that Jeff Bhasker was one of the most common names. Bhasker was preoccupied at the working with Beyoncé but Ruess was persistent in meeting with him. The most common process in the recording of Some Nights began with Ruess. Ruess would come in with lyrics and a melody, leading Andrew Dost and guitarist Jack Antonoff to build chord structure and instrumentation from there, or support that melody. The dynamic between Bhasker and the band in the studio was inspired, as Bhasker had never worked with a rock band before. Bhasker particularly enjoyed recording guitars with guitarist Jack Antonoff as he wasnt used to it, the emphasis for Ruess on Some Nights was to make the songs more cohesive, as he felt his writing was all over the place
28. Stronger with Each Tear – Stronger with Each Tear is the ninth studio album from American R&B and soul singer Mary J. Blige. The album was released in the US on December 21,2009, under Bliges own imprint, with this album, Blige achieved a record of nine albums to have debuted at the top of the US R&B/Hip-Hop Albums chart. Blige started working on her ninth album while she toured with Robin Thicke in 2008, however Rap-Up later revealed that the album had been re-titled Stronger with Each Tear. The album has production and writing credits from Ryan Leslie, Darkchild, the song was previously recorded by Austin and Blige for Austins first solo album that was never released. The song has since reworked and re-titled We Got Hood Love. Following the albums release in the US, the song charted at 82 on the Hot R&B/Hip Hop Songs chart due to digital downloads. The album track I Feel Good entered the Hot R&B/Hip-Hop Songs chart at number 83 on the issue dated February 6,2010, and on the issue dated March 6,2010, it reached a peak of number 68. Whilst Good Love featuring T. I. entered the Hot R&B/Hip-Hop Songs chart at number 59 and was on the charts for eleven weeks with a peak of 58. Australian media outlets revealed that the version of the album would be released with an altered track listing. The new version of the album had a version of the song Each Tear with the Australian artist Vanessa Amorosi. There are also four other versions of the performed by the Italian singer Tiziano Ferro. According to HMV, it would also include versions of the Led Zeppelin song Stairway to Heaven, Whole Lotta Love. The international version of the album does not include Said and Done, We Got Hood Love, the album was pushed back once more to December 21,2009. The following day she appeared on the Lopez Tonight show for an interview, Blige also appeared on The Jay Leno Show, The Today Show, and was also on a special shown on BET named Words & Sounds With Mary J. Blige. She was on a taping of The View, on April 21,2010 Blige appeared on American Idols charity telethon, Idol Gives Back to perform her cover of Led Zeppelins Stairway to Heaven with Orianthi and Randy Jackson on guitars. The One, featuring Drake was released as the albums first single in the US, featuring Drake, the song was co-written by Ester Dean and produced by Rodney Jerkins. It peaked at number sixty-three on the US Billboard Hot 100, I Am which was written by Blige, Johntá Austin and Ester Dean with music produced by Stargate, was released as the first international single in December 2009. It debuted on the Hot R&B/Hip Hop Songs chart at number forty-six prior to its full release and it debuted on Japans Oricon chart at number 92 and peaked at number 11 on that chart, while also debuting on the Hot 100 at sixty-seven and peaking at number fifty-five
29. Thank Me Later – Thank Me Later is the debut studio album by Canadian rapper Drake. It was released on June 15,2010, by Aspire Music Group, Young Money Entertainment, Cash Money Records, production for the album took place at various recording studios during 2009 to 2010 and was mostly produced by longtime collaborators Noah 40 Shebib and Boi-1da. It also featured contributions from Timbaland, Swizz Beatz, Nicki Minaj, Lil Wayne, The-Dream, Thank Me Later has a languorous, ambient production that incorporates moody synthesizers, sparse beats, obscured keyboards, minor keys, and subtle arrangements. Thematically, the focuses on Drakes introduction to fame and his romances over the course of confessional, club-oriented. Drakes emotionally transparent, self-deprecating lyrics are delivered in both rapped and subtly sung verses, and explore feelings of doubt, insecurity, and heartbreak. The album received positive reviews from critics, who complimented Drakes personal themes and drew musical comparisons to the works of hip hop artists Kanye West. Following an anticipated release, it debuted at one on the US Billboard 200 on first-week sales of 447,000 copies. All four of the singles became hits on the Billboard Hot 100. Thank Me Later was certified platinum by the Recording Industry Association of America and, Drake followed-up on So Far Gones success with several guest appearances on other rappers works, adding to the hype surrounding him at the time. He expressed a desire to work with André3000, Kid Cudi, and Sade for the album. In an interview for MTV, Drake cited Nas and André3000 as influences for parts of Thank Me Later, stating Nas was somebody that I used to listen to his raps, I always wanted to understand how he painted those pictures and his bar structure. I went back and really studied Nas and André3000 and then back with this album. In comparing the album to his previous work, he stated Its gonna be bigger, more victorious, cause thats where Im at in my life. He told Entertainment Weekly that, I didnt make this album for commercial purposes, a lot of the verses are extremely long. I just made it to share with people, Drake resumed work on the album in October 2009, following an onstage injury from a July 2009 concert. The track Up All Night was recorded on a bus somewhere in Lexington, Lil Wayne, Cortez Bryant, Gee Robinson, Ronald Slim Williams, and Bryan Birdman Williams served as executive producers for the album. Producers Noah 40 Shebib and Boi-1da handled most of the tracks programming, besides his Toronto-based producer team, Drake also collaborated with European producer Crada, who previously worked on Kid Cudis 2009 debut album Man on the Moon, The End of Day. Drake told Entertainment Weekly that he collaborated with an Indie pop band named Francis, kevin Rudolf also participated in the albums recording, contributing with keyboards on Show Me a Good Time and Find Your Love
30. Time (Mikky Ekko album) – Time is the debut studio album by American recording artist Mikky Ekko. The album was released worldwide on January 16,2015 by RCA Records, Mikky Ekko rose to fame with his 2013 Rihanna collaboration Stay. Following the release of Stay, RCA Records wanted to capitalize on its success, said Mikky Ekko, From the label, I think we speculated a little bit about going out on the tour with Rih, and I ultimately felt like the songs werent there. And I said Im not gonna go out to promote an album that could be better. At Metacritic, which assigns an average score out of 100 to reviews from mainstream critics, Time received an average score of 59% based on 5 reviews. Notes ^ signifies a producer ^ signifies a co-producer Time at Discogs
31. Trouble (Natalia Kills album) – Trouble is the second studio album by English recording artist Teddy Sinclair under the name Natalia Kills. It was released on 3 September 2013 by Cherrytree Records through will. i. am Music Group, recording for the album started in early 2012 and took place in Los Angeles and New York. During that time, Sinclair was accompanied by some producers, including Jeff Bhasker, Bhasker handled a multitude of production tasks, including production, instrumentation and songwriting. Sinclair eschewed the sound and lyrical content of her debut album Perfectionist in favour of an atmosphere, driven by strong percussion. The lyrics, largely co-written by Sinclair and Bhasker, explore the formers problematic childhood, accompanying the album, its cover art was designed by Sinclair and symbolizes the albums main themes. Upon release, music critics commended the albums cohesion, and perceived an evolution in Sinclair songwriting, the album was announced with the release of a music video for Controversy in September 2012. The record failed to chart internationally with the exception of the US Billboard 200, Kills started recording new material approximately a year after the release of her debut studio album Perfectionist. Primarily produced by Martin Cherry Cherry Boom Boom Kierszenbaum and Jeff Bhasker and it yielded three singles which, similarly to its parent album, performed moderately on European charts. During that year and the following, Kills participated in musical endeavors. She provided guest vocals for Far East Movements song 2 Is Better, Kills featured on the duo LMFAOs single Champagne Showers, which became a mild success internationally, and collaborated with DJ Tatana on his single You Cant Get In My Head. Trouble was primarily recorded in the Enormous Studios, located in Los Angeles, other songs were finished in the citys Record Plant and the New York City-based Jungle City Studios. Emiles Studio served as a recording location for Watching You. Unlike Perfectionist, a number of producers was enlisted for Trouble, Kills worked with the musicians Guillaume Doubet, Glass John. Bhasker was assigned for executive production and several tasks, including production, instrumentation and programming and he characterised his production on Trouble as some of his best work and stated that it possesses dark angles. Bhasker recorded background vocals for tracks, such as Devils Dont Fly. The electric guitar was recorded by Danielle Haim and Jimmy Messer, the programming was handled by Doubet, Haynie, and the American producer Mike Will Made It. Messer, Pawel Sek Tyler Sam Johnson and Rob Suchecki served as engineers for select songs of the album, Bhasker and Tony Maserati mixed Trouble and its mastering was controlled by Chris Athens at his eponymous studio. According to Kills, Trouble represents a departure from her debut studio album
32. The Truth About Love (Pink album) – The Truth About Love is the sixth studio album by American singer Pink. It was released on September 18,2012, by RCA Records and it features guest artists Eminem, Lily Allen, and Nate Ruess of American band Fun. The album also debuted at number-one in Australia, Austria, Canada, Germany, New Zealand, Sweden, the Truth About Love was announced as Australias biggest selling album of the year. According to the International Federation of the Phonographic Industry, it was the seventh global best-selling album of 2012 with sales of 2.6 million copies. As of July 2014, the album has sold 2 million copies in the US, as of July 2013, Just Give Me a Reason is the second best selling song of 2013 in the US. To support the album, Pink began her Truth About Love Tour in February 2013, the tour continued through 2013 and included American, Australian and European legs and ended on January 31,2014. On October 7,2011, RCA Music Group announced that it would be disbanding Jive Records, along with Arista, with the shutdown, Pink and all other artists previously signed to the labels would release any future material through RCA Records. In 2011, Joe Riccitelli, an executive with the label, announced that Pink was preparing to enter the studio to work on her sixth studio album. On February 29,2012, Pink took to her Twitter account, on June 19,2012, Pink announced via video on Twitter that the first single from her upcoming album would be called Blow Me and that it would be released on July 9,2012. She added, I think youre going to like it, because I really like it, however, the demo version of the song leaked on July 1,2012, a week before its scheduled release. The next day, it was released via Pinks official page, on July 4,2012, Pink announced that her sixth studio album would be titled The Truth About Love. On September 6,2012, Pink performed Blow Me for the first time with Get the Party Started at the 2012 MTV Music Video Awards, on September 10,2012, Pink performed Blow Me and Who Knew on The Ellen DeGeneres Show. Pink also released videos for all the albums tracks all on her official VEVO account. On September 14,2012, Pink appeared on Alan Carrs show Chatty Man, performing her first single Blow Me, on November 18,2012, Pink performed Try at the American Music Awards of 2012. Blow Me was released as the single from the album in July 2012. The song first appeared on the Australian Singles Chart on the week ending 16 July 2012, the song debuted at #8 on the New Zealand Top 40 chart. It also debuted at #13 on the Canadian Hot 100 chart, in Ireland, the song debuted at #23 on the Irish Singles Chart. In the United States, the song charted at #58 on the Billboard Hot 100 chart on the week ending 21 July 2012, the following week, it rose to #9 and eventually peaked at #5
33. Unorthodox Jukebox – Unorthodox Jukebox is the second studio album by American singer and songwriter Bruno Mars. It was released on December 7,2012, by Atlantic Records and it serves as the follow-up to Mars debut record Doo-Wops & Hooligans. The album was planned to be more energetic than his previous work. The singer co-wrote the whole record and worked with several past collaborators, while enlisting new producers, lyrically, Unorthodox Jukebox revolves around the theme of relationships, incorporating more explicit lyrics and subjects than his previous material. On December 4,2012, the album was available to listen to in its entirety for a week before its release. The album debuted at number 2 on the US Billboard 200, with first week sales of 192,000 copies, Unorthodox Jukebox later topped the chart, marking the singers first album to do so. The record further peaked at one in Australia, Canada, Switzerland. Unorthodox Jukebox became Mars fastest-selling album in the country and its third in 2012, the third best-selling album in Australia in 2013. The record won the Grammy Award for Best Pop Vocal Album at the 56th Annual Grammy Awards, meanwhile, promotional singles Young Girls, Moonshine and When I Was Your Man were released in November and December 2013. Subsequently, four singles were made available for consumption, with each one of them having major to minor success in the United States. Unorthodox Jukebox was further promoted through the Moonshine Jungle Tour, after ending The Doo-Wops & Hooligans Tour, Mars implied that he was going to take some time creating and perfecting his second full-length album. He additionally confessed that, Its going to come when it comes since his team, The Smeezingtons. We just want it to be perfect, the singer added, due to the numerous television shows and worldwide performances provided by Mars, he acknowledged that his second studio album needed to display his raucously dynamic appearances on stage. Mars revealed to Billboard in September 2012 on a preview of his story that he recorded an album that represented his freedom. On his debut record, Doo-Wops & Hooligans, the singer reportedly had to some things because of pressure from his label. He clarified that Unorthodox Jukebox was more of him and what he stands for and he elaborated, If Im changing things around because people might think its a hard pill to swallow then Im going to feel like a circus clown onstage, selling something fake. Pick a lane and come back to us, to these statements, the singer added that he felt disgusted as he wanted to have the liberty to create his own music and not the music he was told to do. Mars further confessed that by the time he started to develop his skills, he learned his most valuable lesson
34. Uptown Special – Uptown Special is the fourth studio album by English record producer Mark Ronson. The album was released on 13 January 2015 in the US and 19 January 2015 in the UK, Ronson dedicated the album to the late Amy Winehouse. Uptown Special became Ronsons first number one on the UK Albums Chart, the melody for Uptowns First Finale was inspired by the first set of lyrics that Michael Chabon sent to Mark Ronson. Despite Ronson loving the lyrics he kept hearing the melody as if it were being played by Stevie Wonder with his signature melodica tone, owing to this, Ronson decided to send a “Hail Mary” letter and the song to Wonders manager. Despite not expecting a response, a few months later Ronson was contacted, Ronson said of the event When I first heard it, it was one of the most emotional experiences I’ve ever had. I was dumbfounded, speechless, whatever word you want to use, I still can’t believe somewhere in a studio in Chicago one night, Stevie Wonder actually recorded a piece of music that I wrote. I’ve listened to it a hundred times and it still messes me up when I play it, summer Breaking came out when Ronson met Jeff Bhasker in his house in Venice, LA to start working on Ronsons album. Ronson wrote the chords and melody to the song in one night that Bhasker left earlier, Ronson stated It’s something way more complex than anything I’ve done before, I don’t really even know the names of the chords – they just sort of came out of me. Feel Right backing track was recorded on a whim, before Mark went in studio with Mystikal, however it worked out to be so well suited to his vocal style. The two met in Baton Rouge with Bhasker and KLC, thanks to jazz musician Trombone Shorty, Uptown Funk had its beginning out of a jam in Bruno’s studio in LA. While Mars was drumming, Bhasker was playing the synths and Ronson was on the bass, after they got the basic groove, Philip Lawrence joined and they wrote the lyrics to the first verse. They finished the song in Toronto, six months later, I Can’t Lose was written mostly by Bhasker, who came up with the idea of drive through the deep south to find someone to sing it. Ronson loved the idea of discovering a new talent and the two ended by up hearing a few hundred amazing singers in churches, nightclubs, bars and community centres. However they had a very specific vocalist in mind, who turned out to be Keyone as both of them realised as she started singing, daffodils riff and vocal idea first played in demo form and sent by Kevin Parker of Tame Impala. The lyrics were written by Parker and Chabon in Memphis, later Ronson, Riton and James Ford added the synths and Kirin J. Callinan laid this insane guitar solo, as described by Ronson. Finally, in the process of mixing in New York, Tom Elmhirst took some of the synths out, Crack in the Pearl were the first set of lyrics sent by Michael to Ronson and Bhasker. The melody of the song started to form in Ronsons head as he read the words of the chorus, Ronson admits that is unusual for him melodies popping into his head, referring to the experience as “alley-oop”. Leaving Los Feliz lyrics are based on an ageing hipster who doesn’t want to admit that he’s too old to still be going to the party, Ronson added, it’s not semi-autobiographical at all
35. Watch the Throne – Watch the Throne is a collaborative studio album by American rappers Jay Z and Kanye West, released on August 8,2011, by Roc-A-Fella Records, Roc Nation, and Def Jam Recordings. Before the album, Jay Z and West had collaborated on their respective singles, as longtime friends, they originally sought out to record a five-song EP together, but the project eventually evolved into a full-length album. Recording sessions took place at locations and began in November 2010. Production on the album was led by West himself, alongside a variety of record producers including Mike Dean, Swizz Beatz, Sak Pase, Jeff Bhasker, The Neptunes. Jay-Z and Wests braggadocio lyrics exhibit themes of opulence, fame, materialism, power, the album expresses other topics such as Jay-Zs thoughts on fatherhood, Wests reflection on being deemed a social villain, and their legacy as performers. Music writers interpreted the subject matter to concern the rappers plight as African Americans struggling with financial success in America. The album produced seven singles, including H•A•M, Otis, Lift Off, No Church in the Wild, and the Billboard Hot 100 top five Niggas in Paris, which all received music videos. Jay-Z and West promoted the album with the Watch the Throne Tour that spanned October 2011 to June 2012, Watch the Throne debuted at number one on the US Billboard 200 chart, selling 436,000 copies its first week. While some critics found the lyrical content uninspiring, its production. Many critics and publications placed the album in their year-end best-of lists and it also earned Jay-Z and West seven Grammy Award nominations. The album is certified platinum in the US, Wests early production work on Jay-Zs music helped raise his profile in the music industry. While originally only viewed as a producer, West eventually was seen as both a viable rapper and producer thanks to the success of his debut album The College Dropout, West continued to be one of Jay-Zs main producers on subsequent albums such as The Black Album and Kingdom Come. Jay-Z appeared on Kanyes first two albums as well, and the two frequently collaborated, during the promotional stages of Wests My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy, a remix of the song Power surfaced featuring Jay-Z. Following this, West announced on Twitter his intention to drop a five-track EP with Jay-Z, also according to the rapper, the track Monster was intended for the EP, though that failed to surface. It was later revealed by West that the project had expanded into a full-length album in an October 2010 interview for MTV. He said in the interview that they planned to record in the south of France, production began in November 2010 in England and continued during available times in Jay-Zs and Wests schedules at locations in Australia, Paris, Abu Dhabi, New York City, and Los Angeles. He noted difficulties in the process, including arguments with West regarding their direction. Following the release of single, H•A•M in January 2011