Category:American political comedy films
Pages in category "American political comedy films"
The following 52 pages are in this category, out of 52 total. This list may not reflect recent changes (learn more).
The following 52 pages are in this category, out of 52 total. This list may not reflect recent changes (learn more).
1. An American Carol – An American Carol is a 2008 American comedy film directed by David Zucker and starring Kevin Farley. In some other countries the film is known as Big Fat Important Movie, presented from a conservative-leaning perspective, the film is a parody of liberal filmmaker Michael Moore that lampoons contemporary American culture, particularly Hollywood. It uses the framework of A Christmas Carol but moves the setting of the story from Christmas to Independence Day, the screenplay is written by Myrna Sokoloff and Zucker. The supporting cast includes Kelsey Grammer, Jon Voight, Dennis Hopper, Trace Adkins, Gary Coleman, Jillian Murray, the film was released on October 3,2008, to mostly negative reviews from critics. Left-wing activist and filmmaker Michael Malone, a parody of Michael Moore, Malone holds pronounced anti-American views and truculently argues that Americas past and present are both offensive, and therefore should not be celebrated. On the evening of July 3, Malone watches a speech from President John F. Kennedy, President Kennedy rises out of the television set, corrects Malone regarding the intent of the speech, and informs him that he will be visited by three spirits. The following morning, Malone is visited by General George S. Patton, Malone later sees George Washington who gives a passionate speech about Gods gift of freedom and the price many people pay for others to have it. Malone is visited by the angel of death, who takes him to a future Los Angeles completely taken over by radical Islamists and he is then taken to the ruins of his hometown in Michigan, which has been destroyed by a nuclear bomb planted by Al Qaeda. In a mortuary, Malone learns that he will be killed in attack, leaving nothing behind but his trademark hat. Facing his death, Malone pleads for his life with the Angel, however, all is not well after Malones revelation, for Aziz, a Middle Easterner he had interviewed, is actually a terrorist who will bomb a 4 July rally along with his underlings Ahmed and Fayed. However, when Fayed and Ahmed learn they are going to be detonated along with the planned bomb, later, Malone arrives at an anti-Fourth of July protest rally and publicly renounces his former views. This triggers an outraged mob from which he is rescued, however, meeting up with Malone, Ahmed and Fayed defuse their own bomb, thus sparing the people at the anti-Independence Day rally and resulting in the capture of the terrorist Aziz. Safe inside a music concert, the three are formally welcomed to the real America by Trace Adkins. A reformed Malone then goes to a Navy base to see his nephew Josh off to the Persian Gulf and he tells Josh how very proud he is of him and promises to look in on his wife and family during his deployment. In the final scene, Malone now decides to make films he feels people would appreciate, as well as Fayed and Ahmed as part of the crew, Malone is last seen working on a biographical film about President Kennedy. An American Carol was strongly promoted by notable Republicans and conservative personalities such as Rush Limbaugh, Sean Hannity, Glenn Beck, an American Carol has also been described by newspapers such as the Dallas Morning News as being for the right wing. The American Conservative reported, The movie has been promoted by bloggers on National Review Online, the Leadership Institute, an activist group that maintains contact with College Republicans nationwide, urged its charges to see the movie on opening weekend, even handing out tickets to its interns. Based on 45 reviews collected by Rotten Tomatoes, An American Carol has an 11% approval rating from critics, metacritic, which assigns a normalized rating out of 100 to reviews from mainstream critics, the film has received an average score of 20, based on 12 reviews
2. American Dreamz – American Dreamz is a 2006 comedy film that satirizes both American politics and popular entertainment. Director/producer/writer Paul Weitz has stated that the movie is meant to both the TV show American Idol and the Bush Administration. Reviews were lukewarm and business was disappointing, on the morning after his re-election, US President Joseph Staton decides to read the newspaper for the first time in four years. This starts him down a slippery slope and he begins reading obsessively, reexamining his black-and-white view of the world in a more gray-seeming way, and holing up in his bedroom in his pajamas. America cannot seem to get enough of American Dreamz, hosted by self-aggrandizing, self-loathing Martin Tweed and his latest crop of hopefuls includes Sally Kendoo, a conniving steel magnolia with a devoted, dopey veteran boyfriend William Williams, and Omer Obeidi. Because Omers mother died in the Middle East in an American attack and he was an actor in an instruction film for terrorists, but he was too clumsy, and his interest in show tunes was frowned upon. Therefore, he was sent to the U. S. to await further instructions and he moved to Southern California to live with his extended family there, including his effeminate cousin Iqbal and Shazzy. Iqbal hoped to be selected to participate in American Dreamz, but in a misunderstanding, Iqbal becomes angered by this at first but later agrees to help Omer win and makes himself his manager. Omers terrorist organization now sees an opportunity, Omer is instructed to make it to the finale and he succeeds in getting to the finale. Security is bypassed by assembling the bomb after the security check, in the toilet, Omer agrees, but changes his mind and disposes of the bomb in the trash can. Earlier in the film, she had dumped William because she believed that her life wouldve gone nowhere if she still had him for a boyfriend and this drove William to join the army, only to be wounded in Iraq and sent back to the U. S. For the purpose of the show and at the insistence of her agent, Chet Krogl, however, William witnesses Sally having sex with Martin, and is furious. When he throws out the engagement ring, he finds the bomb Omer tossed in the trash can and he then comes out on stage and threatens to detonate it. While the other people evacuate, William starts singing and Martin, as William reaches the end of the song, he detonates the bomb by walking into the camera, killing both himself and Martin. The film then cuts to shots of people dialing up their phones to vote in for the winner. It is eventually revealed that William Williams was voted the winner of American Dreamz. The epilogue reveals what each of the went on to do after the end of last season. Omer went on to become a star of his own Broadway revue
3. The American President – The American President is a 1995 American romantic comedy-drama film directed by Rob Reiner and written by Aaron Sorkin. The film stars Michael Douglas, Annette Bening, Martin Sheen, Michael J. Fox, composer Marc Shaiman was nominated for the Original Musical or Comedy Score Oscar for The American President. The American Film Institute ranked The American President No.75 on its list of Americas Greatest Love Stories, popular Democratic President Andrew Shepherd is preparing to run for re-election. The President and his staff, led by Chief of Staff, macInerney, attempt to consolidate the administrations 63% approval rating by passing a moderate crime control bill. However, support for the bill in both parties is tepid, conservatives do not want it, and liberals think it is too weak. If it passes, however, Shepherds re-election is presumed by his staff to be a shoo-in, and Shepherd resolves to announce the bill, during their first meeting, Shepherd and Wade are immediately intrigued by each other. At this meeting, Shepherd strikes a deal with Wade, if she can secure 24 votes for the bill by the date of the State of the Union. Whatever his personal feelings toward Wade, he expresses this to his staff and he believes Wade will not be able to get enough votes to meet her side of the deal, thus releasing Shepherd from responsibility if the bill fails to pass. Later that evening, in a series of calls, Shepherd invites Wade to the state dinner. During the State dinner and subsequent occasions, the fall in love. Eventually, Wade does manage to get votes to meet her part of the deal. This results in disaster for Wade as she is fired from her lobbyist job for failing to achieve her objectives. She visits the White House to break up with Shepherd and says that she has a job possibility in Hartford and he tells her politics is making choices, his number-one has always been the crime control bill, and that he does not want to lose her over this. She congratulates him on getting the leverage to pass a bill that in no way will help fight crime. She concludes, Mr. President, you have bigger problems than losing me—youve just lost my vote, on the morning that he is to deliver his State of the Union Address, and after an argument with A. J. Shepherd makes a appearance in the White House press room and rebuts Rumsons attacks on Wades past and his own values. In his speech he even promises gun control, in an attempt at root-and-branch solving of Americas problems and his passionate and erudite defense of those things in which he believes, in contrast to his earlier passive behavior, galvanizes the press and his staff. Shepherd declares he is going over to her house and Im not leaving until I get her back, the couple are reconciled and the President, accompanied by Wade, leaves to give his State of the Union Address
4. Ballot Box Bunny – Ballot Box Bunny is a Warner Bros. Merrie Melodies theatrical cartoon short released in 1951, directed by Friz Freleng, Bugs Bunny is underneath the podium drinking carrot juice when Sam makes a pledge to make good on his previous promise to rid this country of every last rabbit if elected. Bugs then decides he needs to fight against Sam by running against him for mayor, Bugs proceeds to quickly try and win the townspeople over with Theodore Roosevelts famous I speak softly, but I carry a BIG stick. Quote, even dressing up like Roosevelt, however, Sam declares I speak LOUD and I carry a BIGGER stick, and I use it too. Sam has more than a few tricks up his sleeve and he steals Bugs cigar stand, to which Bugs switches his SMELLO cigars with five-cent ATOM Explosive Cigars. He sends a boxful of assorted picnic ants to steal all of the food at Bugs picnic, a quick chase through the streets leads the pair to the parade for the newly elected mayor. But as it turns out, a dark horse candidate. Bugs suggests a game of Russian Roulette and hands Sam a gun, Sam agrees, points the gun at his head, closes his eyes and pulls the trigger, and gets the click of an empty barrel. He then hands the gun to Bugs, who points the gun to his head, closes his eyes, and pulls the trigger as the camera irises into black in the center of the screen to the sound of a gunshot. An iris opens up on Bugs to the left, showing that he had actually ducked immediately before he fired and now holds a gun as he proclaims. The right side of the screen irises open to reveal a scorched, hatless Sam shot in the head by Bugs wayward blast, the statue contains a list of crew members from the film. It reads, Pro Patria 1865, Batchelder, Champin, Farren, Julian, Nicholson, Perez, Pratt, building names to look out for, Ross & Co, Josiah Freep, Frizby, M. Perez, P. Julian Yard Tools. Ballot Box Bunny is available, uncut, with the restored, on Looney Tunes Golden Collection, Volume 1. List of Bugs Bunny cartoons List of Yosemite Sam cartoons Ballot Box Bunny at the Internet Movie Database Ballot Box Bunny at The Big Cartoon DataBase
5. Bananas (film) – Bananas is a 1971 American comedy film directed by Woody Allen and starring Allen, Louise Lasser, and Carlos Montalban. Parts of the plot are based on the book Don Quixote, fielding Mellish is the protagonist, but he does not appear until after the opening credits. The scene was in the form of a championship boxing telecast on Wide World of Sports, with Don Dunphy as the host, Mellish is a neurotic blue collar man who tries to impress social activist Nancy by trying to get in touch with the revolution in San Marcos. He visits the republic and attempts to show his concern for the native people, however, he is nearly killed by the local caudillo and then saved by the revolutionaries, putting him in their debt. Mellish then learns, clumsily, how to be a revolutionary, when the revolution is successful, the Castro-style leader goes mad, forcing the rebels to place Mellish as their President. When traveling back to the U. S. to obtain financial aid, one of the witnesses does provide testimony favorable to Mellish, but the court clerk, when asked to read back this testimony, replies with an entirely different, wholly unfavorable rendition. Mellish is eventually sentenced to prison, but his sentence is suspended on the condition that he not move into the judges neighborhood. Nancy then agrees to marry him, the film ends with the between-the-covers consummation of their marriage, an event that was over much more quickly than Nancy had anticipated. Like the opening scene, it was accompanied by Cosell providing commentary, the verdict in Mellishs legal case is portrayed as the headline story of a Roger Grimsby newscast. Included in the scene is a television advertisement for New Testament cigarettes with a Catholic priest promoting the fictitious brand while performing the sacrament of the Eucharist. The movie received a C classification from the National Catholic Office for Motion Pictures because of the spoof, the title is a pun, bananas being slang for crazy, as well as being a reference to the phrase banana republic describing the films setting. The title also may be a nod to The Cocoanuts. However, when Allen was asked why the film was called Bananas, his reply was, in Don Quixote, U. S. A. the novel by Richard P. Powell that served as a source for Bananas, the protagonist was an agronomist specializing in bananas. Bananas was well received by critics and holds an 88% positive Fresh rating on Rotten Tomatoes, vincent Canby of The New York Times praised the film, saying Allens view of the world is fraught with everything except pathos, and its a view I happen to find very funny. Here is no little man surviving with a wan smile and a shrug and he concluded, Any movie that attempts to mix together love, Cuban revolution, the C. I. A. Jewish mothers, J. Edgar Hoover and a few odds and ends is bound to be a little weird—and most welcome
6. Barcelona (film) – Barcelona is a 1994 comedy film written and directed by Whit Stillman and set in Barcelona, Catalonia. The movie stars Taylor Nichols, Chris Eigeman and Mira Sorvino, the main character in Barcelona is a Chicago salesman named Ted Boynton, who lives and works in the eponymous Spanish city in the early 1980s. Teds cousin, Fred, an officer, unexpectedly comes to stay with Ted at the beginning of the film. Fred has been sent to Barcelona to handle public relations on behalf of a U. S. fleet scheduled to arrive later, the cousins have a history of conflict since childhood, to which the film refers several times. Ted and Fred develop relationships with single women in Barcelona. Ted also faces problems with his American employer and with the concept of attraction to physical beauty. Taylor Nichols as Ted Boynton, the films protagonist and narrator, Chris Eigeman as Fred Boynton, Teds belligerent cousin, a U. S. Navy officer, who visits and also has his own opinions on life and love. Tushka Bergen as Montserrat Raventos, an attractive blonde woman who works at Fira de Barcelona. Mira Sorvino as Marta Ferrer, an opinionated Trade Fair employee who becomes involved with Fred. Pep Munné as Ramon, the main antagonist, a manipulative, Yankee-baiting journalist who clashes with Fred. Hellena Schmied as Greta, a Trade Fair employee who captures Teds interest late in the film, nuria Badia as Aurora Boval, a Trade Fair employee and mutual friend of Montserrat, Marta, and Greta. Jack Gilpin as The Consul Thomas Gibson as Dickie Taylor, Teds company supervisor Barcelona received an 81% rating on Rotten Tomatoes based on 32 reviews
7. Beavis and Butt-Head Do America – Beavis and Butt-Head Do America is a 1996 American animated road comedy film based on the MTV television series Beavis and Butt-Head. The film was directed by series creator Mike Judge, and stars the regular television cast of Judge, with guest performances by Demi Moore, Bruce Willis, Robert Stack, the plot follows Beavis and Butt-Head who travel across the country in search of their stolen television set. Previous offers by MTV to create a version of Beavis and Butt-Head were rejected by Judge. When the film went into production, Judge and the shows staff halted production on the series, while Judge and they conceived numerous plot ideas, with Judges being the one developed into a film. The music was composed by John Frizzell, the film was theatrically released on December 20,1996, by Paramount Pictures. After a surreal dream of the two of them menacing a city as giants, Beavis and Butt-Head wake up to realize someone has stolen their television. The pair then embark on a quest to find it, after several mishaps they visit a low-quality motel that advertises TVs in every room. There, they encounter Muddy Grimes, who is waiting for two hired hitmen to murder his wife, Dallas, Muddy, thinking that Beavis and Butt-head are the killers he has contacted, says that they must do his wife. Thinking that by do Muddy means score with, Butt-head convinces Beavis that both of them can score as well as get paid enough to buy a new television, Muddy hands them a photograph of Dallas with instructions on where to find her. He then drives them to the airport to catch a plane to Las Vegas, after arriving in their Vegas casino where they are staying, the boys get arrested by security after being mistaken for trespassers and then they are taken to their rooms. Their room was purchased by Muddy to be adjacent to the room of the woman, Dallas Grimes. Dallas soon realizes they have no idea what they have hired for. While Beavis and Butt-Head begin fighting over who will do Dallas first, thinking quickly, she plants a stolen biological weapon known as the X-5 Unit in Beavis pants in order to get rid of it. She then gets them tickets on a bus to Washington, D. C. instructing them that she will be waiting for them in the United States Capitol and will let them do her there. Flemming becomes convinced that the duo are criminal masterminds after they release the water behind the Hoover Dam. On the tour bus, they visit landmarks including the Grand Canyon, after becoming stranded in a gift shop at Petrified Forest National Park, they are told Washington is about 2,000 miles that way and begin to wander through the desert. A security guard admits that he let go because he was afraid of them. Flemming then sends out roadblocks for over 200 miles over every road in the desert and they soon meet two former Mötley Crüe roadies, who are heavily implied to be their fathers, but part ways before they can make the kinship connection
8. Best Defense – Best Defense is a 1984 American comedy film starring Dudley Moore and Eddie Murphy. The original music score was composed by Patrick Williams and it was released by Paramount Pictures. The movie takes place as two parallel plots separated by years, In 1982, Wylie Cooper, is an engineer developing a targeting system on a tank for the United States Army. In 1984, Murphy is US Army Lt. Landry, an American tank commander sent to Kuwait to demonstrate XM-10 Annihilator, Americas latest main battle tank, which is equipped with Coopers system. Cooper and Landry never directly interact during the film, but the plot shows how the decisions made by Cooper affect Landrys tank, Cooper, an engineer for a troubled defense contractor, is in charge of designing the DYP-gyro, a gyroscope for the armys new tank. The companys future hinges on the success of the project, Coopers gyro fails a crucial test, dooming the company. Downtrodden, Cooper later crosses paths with another engineer who has designed a DYP-gyro. When the other dies, Wylie takes the plans. A co-worker claims later puts Wylies name on the plans, in 1984, Landrys tank comes under fire from Iraqi jets, leading Landry to plead that he doesnt belong in this war, shouting Im from Cleveland. Back in 1982, Wylie is contacted by Jeff, a deep-cover KGB agent who tries to obtain the DYP plans, the FBI, knowing that Wylie took credit for somebody elses work, forces him to act as bait for Jeff in a set-up operation. The set-up nearly fails - Jeff is killed during a gun battle, realizing his mortality while being put on an ambulance, Wylie confesses to Clair, an attractive co-worker, that he stole the DYP. This triggers a response from Clair and also from his wife who, arriving on the scene. As had been predicted, the DYP causes failure in the WAM, instead, the camera cuts to the innards and shows that the DYP has been redesigned according to an idea that Wylie had in 1982 while fixing one of his sons toys. The redesign works, enabling the tanks air defense rockets to launch, the film ends with Moore and Murphy as heroes in their respective jobs. As originally filmed, the film did not feature Eddie Murphys character, the films preview screenings were received poorly, and the studio suggested filming a role for Eddie Murphy, who was at the peak of his popularity. Murphys part was almost unconnected with the rest of the film, there had been a scene filmed during the reshoots which featured Moore and Murphys characters meeting, but it was cut from the film. Dudley Moore as Wylie Cooper Eddie Murphy as Lieutenant T. M and it opened strong at #2 behind Ghostbusters with $7.8 million but quickly lost steam, mostly due to poor word-of-mouth, and grossed a disappointing $19.2 million. It was nominated for a Stinkers Bad Movie Awards for Worst Picture, Best Defense at the Internet Movie Database Best Defense at Rotten Tomatoes Best Defense at AllMovie
9. Black Sheep (1996 film) – Black Sheep is a 1996 comedy film directed by Penelope Spheeris, written by Fred Wolf and starring Chris Farley and David Spade. The film portrays a political contest in which a candidate for Governor of Washington deals with unwanted, incompetent, the film also stars Tim Matheson, Christine Ebersole, and Gary Busey. Chris Owen and Wolf have cameo appearances, and Farleys real-life brothers Kevin and it was the second collaboration between Farley and Spade, as well as the duos second film with Paramount Pictures, following the 1995 film Tommy Boy. The film grossed $32.3 million during its U. S. theatrical run, Mike Donnelly, a good-natured but loud and bumbling oddball of his family, is driving an advertisement truck to support his brother Al Donnellys campaign for Governor of Washington. His competition is incumbent Evelyn Tracy, Mike is chased by dogs while driving the truck and crashes into a local movie theatre. As Steve goes to pick up Mike, he hits crazed Vietnam veteran Sgt, Drake Sabitch, who ends up stealing his rental car. Later on, Mike tries to stop underage youngsters from drinking, however, the first cop to arrive at the scene is Robbie Mighuem, a friend of Mikes who lets him and Steve leave before the police arrive. The two take off in Mikes car and, per Kovarys instructions to Steve, head for a shack in rural Garfield County, while trying to find a high-ground to get reception on his phone, Steve accidentally loosens a rock in a pile of stones. The next day, Mike tries to talk to Al, but Kovary refuses, so Mike decides to head into Seattle that night to talk to Al, who is going on MTVs Rock the Vote campaign. However, after hanging out with some Rastafarians, Mike makes a fool of himself onstage as a shocked Al, because of his stunt, Al decides to have Mike to not bother helping him with the campaign, leaving Mike down. The next day, Steve and Mike sneak into Drakes home to watch Als debate on his TV, when Steve goes outside to use the restroom, he is attacked by Drake, but is saved by Mike, who beats the ex-soldier in unarmed combat. Drake is impressed by Mikes fighting skill and befriends both men, Governor Tracy, in hopes of sabotaging Al following their debate, purchases the pictures of Mike at the rec center fire and posts them on the TV news, therefore allowing Tracy to win the election. Mike and Steve go to the Garfield County Courthouse, where they obtain the names of the voters in the election, Steve discovers that over half the people who voted for Tracy have been dead for over ten years, proving Tracy had rigged the elections. To get this to the people and Al, Steve and Mike borrow Robbies squad car to Governor Tracys victory party the following day, at the party, the duo appears during Tracys victory speech and the police try to arrest Mike for arson. Mike reveals Tracys election fraud, overturning the election results and making Al the election winner, three months later, Steve is Als new assistant, Mike has his job running the recreation center back, and Al has decreased crime rates in Washington. As Al and Steve get into a jet to go to a meeting, Mikes jacket gets caught in the door, causing him to be trapped outside the plane. Saturday Night Live creator Lorne Michaels produced the film, which was directed by Waynes World director Penelope Spheeris, although his agent lined up possible roles for the actor in The Cable Guy and Kingpin, the movie studio remained firm on wanting another buddy comedy with Farley and Spade. The film was written by Fred Wolf, who claimed the studio told him to deliver a script by midnight on Sunday