Category:British heist films
Pages in category "British heist films"
The following 85 pages are in this category, out of 85 total. This list may not reflect recent changes (learn more).
The following 85 pages are in this category, out of 85 total. This list may not reflect recent changes (learn more).
1. The Bling Ring – The Bling Ring is a 2013 internationally co-produced satirical crime film written, directed and produced by Sofia Coppola. It features an ensemble cast including newcomers Israel Broussard, Katie Chang and it is based on an article, The Suspects Wore Louboutins by Nancy Jo Sales, which dealt with a real-life gang known as the Bling Ring. The film had its premiere in the Un Certain Regard section of the 2013 Cannes Film Festival on May 16,2013. It was released in a release on June 14, before opening in a wide release on June 21,2013 by A24 Films. The Bling Ring represents the work of cinematographer Harris Savides. The film is dedicated to him, quiet teenager Marc Hall arrives as a new student at Indian Hills High School in Agoura Hills, California. He is befriended by fame-obsessed Rebecca Ahn, while at a party at Rebeccas house, the pair check unlocked vehicles on the street, taking valuables such as cash and credit cards. When Marc mentions that one of his acquaintances is out of town. Rebecca steals a handbag, mentioning that her idol, Lindsay Lohan, has the same one and she also steals cash and the keys to a Porsche, which the pair use to flee the scene. With the cash, the two go on a spree, affording themselves the luxury lifestyle they admire in magazines. Marc visits a nightclub with Rebecca and her friends Nicki, Nickis adopted sister Sam, and Chloe, while researching Hilton on the Internet, Marc and Rebecca realize that she will be out of town. The pair go to her house, and finding the key under the doormat, they go through Hiltons belongings, Rebecca then flaunts a stolen bracelet to Nicki, Sam, and Chloe at a party. At Nickis request, Rebecca and Marc take her, Sam, the group marvels at the excess of Hiltons lifestyle, and steals shoes, bags, dresses, cash, and jewelry. Marc and Rebecca return to rob Hiltons house on a third occasion, the pair also decides to rob the home of Audrina Patridge, once again using the Internet to determine when she will not be home. The entire group uses the method to burgle the home of Megan Fox. The group enters the home of Orlando Bloom and his girlfriend, the girls proceed to steal similar items, while Marc finds a case filled with seven of Blooms Rolex watches along with a roll of cash. Chloe then helps Marc sell the watches to her friend, a club manager named Ricky. The group returns once again to Hiltons house, with Sams boyfriend Rob, a news report releases captured CCTV footage from the robbery at Patridges home
2. The Italian Job – The Italian Job is a 1969 British caper film, written by Troy Kennedy Martin, produced by Michael Deeley and directed by Peter Collinson. Subsequent television showings and releases on video have made it known in the United Kingdom. Its soundtrack was composed by Quincy Jones, and includes On Days Like These sung by Matt Monro over the opening credits, lead actor Michael Caine is among its singers. In November 2004, Total Film named The Italian Job the 27th greatest British film of all time, the line Youre only supposed to blow the bloody doors off. By Caine was voted favourite film one-liner in a 2003 poll of 1,000 film fans, the popularity of the film has led to parodies and allusions in other films and productions, including a 2003 remake. Charlie Croker, a Cockney criminal, is released from prison with the intention of doing a big job in Italy. He soon meets with the widow of his friend and fellow thief Roger Beckermann, Croker breaks back into his former prison to convince Mr. Bridger, the head of a huge criminal empire, to finance the plan. Bridger, who has bribed almost all of the guards to work for him, initially rejects the plan. With Bridgers backing, Croker recruits computer expert Professor Peach, his girlfriend Lorna, after planning and training, Croker and crew set out for Turin. Mafia boss Altabani and his underlings are waiting in the Alps at the pass where they killed Beckermann. Altabani warns Croker that the Mafia are aware of the intentions and smashes their Jaguar E-Type cars. Croker tells Altabani that Mr. Bridger will avenge their deaths by attacking the Italian community in Britain, Altabani lets them go, ordering them to return to England. Instead, they proceed with the plan, replacing the control systems magnetic tape data storage reels. On the day of the robbery, Croker sends gang member Birkinshaw, disguised as a football fan, the substitute data reel then causes widespread traffic chaos. The gang converge on the convoy, overpower the guards. There, the transfer the gold to the Minis. Altabani recognises that If they planned this jam, they must have planned a way out, the getaway is timed perfectly, and they throw off the police by driving through a large sewer pipe. As Mr. Bridger receives the cheers and adulation of his fellow prison inmates and they then unload the gold and dispose of the Minis by pushing them off the mountainside
3. Entrapment (film) – Entrapment is a 1999 American caper film directed by Jon Amiel and written by Ronald Bass. It stars Sean Connery and Catherine Zeta-Jones and includes Will Patton, Ving Rhames, the film focuses on the relationship between investigator Virginia Gin Baker and notorious crook Robert Mac MacDougal as they attempt a heist at the turn of the New Millennium. The film was released theatrically in the United States on 30 April 1999, Virginia Gin Baker is an investigator for Waverly Insurance. Robert Mac MacDougal is a thief who specializes in international art. A priceless Rembrandt painting is stolen from a one night. She tries to him with a proposition, claiming that she is a professional thief herself. Before agreeing, Mac tells Gin his Rule Number One, Never carry a gun, You carry a gun and they travel to Scotland and plan the very complicated theft at Macs hideout, an isolated castle. Aaron Thibadeaux, apparently the only ally that Mac trusts, arrives with supplies for the heist, while Mac is busy making final preparations, Gin contacts her boss, Hector Cruz, from a payphone, and informs him of Macs whereabouts. Little does she know that the island is bugged, allowing Mac to eavesdrop on their conversation, Mac also makes sure to keep Gins romantic advances at bay, unsure if she is a true partner in crime or an ambitious career woman on a mission. After they have stolen the mask, Mac accuses Gin of planning to sell the mask to a buyer in Kuala Lumpur, during their set-up, Cruz and his team track down Gin and confirm that she is still on mission to bring Mac in. Despite the presence of Cruz and other security watching the building, Gin pulls the plug on her laptop prematurely and sets off alarms. They narrowly escape the computer vault and are forced to cross the lights hung from the bottom of the bridge linking the two towers, following a death-defying escape when the cable breaks, Gin and Mac make their way to a ventilation shaft, where Mac explains Plan B. Using mini-parachutes, they were going to escape down the shaft, Gin has lost her parachute earlier in the escape, so Mac gives her his. He tells her to him the next morning at the Pudu train station. Gin arrives at the waiting for Mac. He shows up late with Aaron Thibadeaux, who reveals himself with fellow FBI agents and he explains that Cruz is here and that the FBI has been looking for her for some time. Two years ago when Agent Thibadeaux caught and arrested him, Mac made a deal to help the FBI arrest Gin, however, the aging thief has another plan, to help her escape. Mac slips Gin a gun and quietly explains that he returned only seven of the eight billion dollars they had stolen electronically in the heist, Gin then pretends to hold Mac hostage at gunpoint, threatening to shoot him if the agents follow her
4. 184.108.40.206. – It was released on 2 June 2010. The story focuses on four 19-year-old friends, Joanne, Cassandra, Shannon and they all meet one other at a diner, where they see Dillon and Smoothy. Unbeknownst to Dillon, Shannon has a crush on him, as the police turn up, Dillon and Smoothy run off and Dillon accidentally drops a stolen diamond into Cassandras bag. The four girls then walk out and go their separate ways home, first, the story focuses on Shannon, she walks into her home just as her mother is leaving her father. She loses her temper and runs away, going to Jos home, Jo calls Shannon over to the supermarket where she works, but tells her to leave as soon as she arrives. When she refuses, Dillon kisses Jo, upsetting Shannon, whom he asked out earlier in the day, so she grabs a Pringles tube from the shop and runs away. After getting drunk at a bar, she goes to a tunnel where she sprays graffiti on the wall, is attacked by a gang and then taken in by Kelly, Shannon realizes that Kelly seems to be looking for the Pringles. This is later confirmed when she finds out that she is searching for 15 diamonds, one is already in Cassandras bag and the rest are in the can that fell out of Shannons bag in the tunnel. She escapes by knocking Kelly out with the bathroom door and she finds the diamonds by going back to where she was attacked, and leaves a message informing Jo about them. Later, Shannon tracks down her mother and accuses her of not caring about her and her story ends with her holding the diamonds above a bridge, suggesting she is about to commit suicide. Jo, Cassandra and Kerrys appear to threaten Shannon into handing the diamonds over, second, the story moves onto Cassandra, who visits New York City to meet up with Brett, whom she has met on the internet and audition for a piano school. She has sex with Brett and in the morning all her possessions gone except for her handbag. She also finds a letter that Shannon has been looking for and she mails it to Kerrys house to deliver it to Shannon. She goes to Bretts house to find that Brett is a stalker who hacked into Cassandras computer, Cassandra forces her way into an impromptu audition with Jago Larofsky and wins a place at his school. She then leaves to go home to London, telling Jo she knows where Shannon is, third, the story of Kerrys is explored. After witnessing her brother Manuel receive a package with instructions from Dillon and Smoothy, Kerrys and her girlfriend Jas break into Cassandras flat, Manuel locks them in the panic room, returns the package to Dillon and Smoothy as instructed and throws a party. When the two escape from the panic room, they angrily force everyone out of the flat. Kerrys goes home and finds Shannons mothers letter that Cassandra had sent her, after making amends with her father, she steals Manuels new car to find Shannon and stuffs him into the trunk, but when he tries to attack her, she crashes the car into Jos shop
5. The Bank Job – The producers allege that the story was prevented from being told in 1971 because of a D-Notice government gagging request, allegedly to protect a prominent member of the British Royal Family. According to the producers, this film is intended to reveal the truth for the first time, the premiere was held in London on 18 February 2008, and the film was released in both the UK on 29 February 2008, and in the US on 7 March 2008. It was a critical and financial success, the British Security Services have taken interest in a safe deposit box that is located in a bank on London’s Baker Street. It belongs to a black militant gangster, Michael X, and contains compromising photos of Princess Margaret, after they escape together, Terry throws off a pursuit by MI5. He notifies a furious Michael X in Trinidad, who correctly suspects Gale Benson, Hakim Jamals lover, of spying for MI5, Lew decides that Dave’s presence outside that particular bank was not a coincidence, and has him tortured for information. Dave gives in, and Lew goes to Terry’s garage to kidnap Eddie, one of the crooked cops on Lews payroll shoots Dave, and threatens to shoot Eddie unless Lew gets his evidence back. During the exchange, Lew recognises the agents, and he, Terry pursues Lew and proceeds to beat him up, but Roy breaks the fight up and arrests Lew and his colleagues. In Trinidad, Michael X is also arrested, with his freedom and his new passport, Terry and his family enjoy a carefree life on their small motor yacht off a sunny beach. The film is in part based on facts about the Baker Street robbery. The actual tunneling took 3 weeks working on weekends, robert Rowlands, a ham radio operator, overheard conversations between the robbers and their rooftop lookout. He contacted police and tape-recorded the conversations, which were made public. The film includes lines recorded by Rowlands, such as the comment that Money may be your god, but its not mine. The films producers said that they have a source, identified in press reports as George McIndoe. The films plot point of the issuance of a D-Notice, because a safe deposit box held sex pictures of Princess Margaret with London gangster-turned-actor John Bindon, is entirely fictional. The possible connection to Michael X is apparently based on information provided by McIndoe, though the basis and extent of his information remains unclear. The film-makers acknowledged that they made up the character Martine, Humphreys was jailed for eight years in 1974 for wounding his wifes former lover. In 1994 Humphreys was jailed for months for living off the earnings of prostitutes. The movie includes multiple historical grace notes, the outlandish introduction of Michael Xs character showing him leading a Jewish landlord locked in a slave collar is not dramatic license but is based on a similar historical incident
6. The Great St Trinian's Train Robbery – The Great St. Trinians Train Robbery is a British film comedy set in the fictional St Trinians School, released in 1966, three years after the Great Train Robbery had taken place. It also parodies the ideas of the Harold Wilson government. Directed by Frank Launder and Sidney Gilliat with a script by Sidney and Leslie Gilliat, it was the fourth in a series of five St Trinians films, and it retained George Cole, Richard Wattis, Eric Barker, Michael Ripper and Raymond Huntley from the earlier films. Several new actors were brought in, including Frankie Howerd as Alfred Askett, Reg Varney as Gilbert, Dora Bryan as headmistress Amber Spottiswood, and Stratford Johns as the Voice. Although asked twice, Joyce Grenfell refused to appear again as Sergeant Ruby Gates, Raymond Huntley appeared as the Minister of Schools, having appeared in a different role in the earlier films, and Cyril Chamberlain appeared as Maxie. Alphonse Askett is a hairdresser who is also the leader of a gang of crooks who are led behind the scenes by an invisible mastermind. He gives instructions to Askett about the robbery, Operation Windfall, the crooks hide the loot in Hamingwell Grange, a deserted country mansion, and after waiting for the hue and cry to die down they return to collect the numerous mailbags which contain £2.5 million. However, following a Labour Party election triumph, the house has been converted into a new home for St Trinians School for Girls. The crooks subsequent attempt to retrieve the mailbags on Parents Day, disguised as caterers, a gang, whose unseen boss directs them via radio, steal £2. At the new school, Harry sets up an establishment and Spottiswoods new school supplies arrive, which include slot machines. They go to Hamingwell Grange and find it occupied by the St. Trinians School, whose staff, Alfred contacts the boss and reports this calamity. The boss tells Alfred to enroll his daughters, Lavinia and Marcia Mary at St. Trinians, in order to get information about the school schedule. Once there, they break into the Headmistresses office, find out that a parents day celebration will soon be held outdoors leaving the school empty, and radio their father with this information. Days before the celebration Rose, while raiding the pantry, sees the school dog emerge from a hole in the wall with a wad of money, she goes through the hole, finds the stolen money and takes some. The next day at Harry’s betting parlour, where he is assisted by Georgina, in London, Bassett and Butters tell the Minister that the school supplies noted on the bills as nature books and laboratory supplies are, in fact, very sexy books and slot machines. The Minister dismisses their claims leaving Bassett and Butters dismayed, Eric the Liftman suggests they provide evidence that there is only partying going on at St. Trinians, by taking pictures. Bassett and Butters agree, and Eric goes along as photographer and that night, when Rose goes to raid the pantry, Harry follows her, sees the bags of money, and connects them with the train robbery and the £10,000 reward for the money’s return. The Ministry men arrive and take a picture of the sixth form girls partying, when they knock at her door the Minister answers and tries to explain away his presence there by saying he has come to the celebration early in order to investigate their claims
7. The Ladykillers – The Ladykillers is a 1955 British black comedy film made by Ealing Studios. Directed by Alexander Mackendrick, it stars Alec Guinness, Cecil Parker, Herbert Lom, Peter Sellers, Danny Green, Jack Warner and Katie Johnson as the old lady. American William Rose wrote the screenplay, for which he was nominated for an Academy Award for Writing Original Screenplay and he claimed to have dreamt the entire film and merely had to remember the details when he awoke. With nothing to occupy her time and an imagination, she is a frequent visitor to the local police station where she reports fanciful suspicions regarding neighbourhood activities. Having led wild-goose chases in the past, she is humoured by the officers there who give her reports no credence whatsoever and she is approached by an archly sinister character, Professor Marcus, who wants to rent rooms in her house. As a cover, the Professor convinces the naive Mrs. Wilberforce that the group is a string quintet using the rooms for rehearsal space. To maintain the deception, the members carry musical instruments and play a recording of Boccherinis Minuet from String Quintet in E. After the heist, Mrs. W is deceived into retrieving the money from the railway station herself. This she successfully manages to do but not without serious complications owing to her tendency to righteous meddling, as the gang departs her house with the loot, One-Round accidentally gets his cello case full of banknotes trapped in the front door. As he pulls the free, banknotes spill forth while Mrs. Wilberforce looks on. Finally, smelling a rat, she informs Marcus that she is going to the police, stalling, the gangsters half convince Mrs. W that she will surely be considered an accomplice for holding the lolly. In any case, it is a crime as insurance will cover all the losses. She wavers but when she rallies the criminals finally decide they must kill her, No one wants to do it so they draw lots using matchsticks. The Major loses but tries to make a run for it with the cash, as the oblivious Mrs. W dozes, the criminals cross, double-cross and manage to kill one another in rapid succession. The Major falls off the roof of the house after being chased by Louis, before falling into the carriage Louis fires a last shot at Marcus which nearly hits him. Finally with no one else left Marcus himself is struck on the head by a signal over the tunnel. All the other bodies have been dumped into railway wagons passing behind the house and are now far away, Mrs. Wilberforce is now left alone with the plunder. She goes to the police to return it but they do not believe her story and they humour her, telling her to keep the money
8. 7 Seconds (film) – 7 Seconds is a 2005 American crime film directed by Simon Fellows, starring Wesley Snipes and Tamzin Outhwaite. The film was released on Direct-to-DVD in the United States on June 28,2005, the title refers to the timers at the beginning of the film, which are set at 00,07. After professional thief Jack Tulliver and his crew pull off a meticulously planned armored car heist and this rogue group, tipped off to the heist by an unknown turncoat, kills Tullivers associate Bull and most of his crew. Tulliver escapes with a sealed case that was the most valuable part of the stolen loot. Kelly Anders car, he makes a getaway through Bucharest, meanwhile, Tulliver tries to save a team member who has been captured by Alexie Kutchinov, a sadistic Russian millionaire gangster in charge of the Romanian racketeers that ambushed Tulliver. Anders are saved by Bulls brother Mikail Mercea, a Romanian mobster who shoots Alexie to avenge his brothers death, ultimately, the content of the case is revealed, and we come to know why it is in such high demand. Wesley Snipes as Jack Tuliver Tamzin Outhwaite as Sgt, despite action star Wesley Snipes heading the film,7 Seconds was a failure in the DVD market and received bad reviews, described as drivel with sloppy screenwriting. DVD was released in Region 1 in the united States on June 28,2005,7 Seconds at the Internet Movie Database
9. 11 Harrowhouse – 11 Harrowhouse is a 1974 British film directed by Aram Avakian. It was adapted by Charles Grodin based upon the novel by Gerald A. Browne with the screenplay by Jeffrey Bloom and it stars Charles Grodin, Candice Bergen, James Mason, Trevor Howard and John Gielgud. In England, a diamond merchant is unexpectedly offered the chance to supervise the purchase. When the diamond is stolen from him, he is blackmailed into pulling off a major heist at The System, located at 11 Harrowhouse, with the help of his beautiful and wealthy girlfriend. The key figure in the theft, however, is the inside man Watts who works in the vault at The System and he is dying of cancer and wants to leave his family financially secure. The thieves leave before the robbery is discovered, and when found in the vault in the morning, most of the loot is buried in concrete, to prevent it flooding the market. A prominent theme of the film revolves around how the world diamond producer controls the price of diamonds by creating artificial scarcity. The film has screened in two versions in the past - both with and without a retrospective commentary from Grodins character, H. R. Chesser. The film was released on LaserDisc by Fox Video in Widescreen Format, factory is to release the film for the first time on DVD, but only on Region 1 Disc. 11 Harrowhouse at the Internet Movie Database 11 Harrowhouse at AllMovie
10. Baby Driver – Baby Driver is a 2017 action-comedy-crime film written and directed by Edgar Wright and starring Ansel Elgort, Kevin Spacey, Lily James, Jon Bernthal, Eiza González, Jon Hamm and Jamie Foxx. It follows a young driver who is forced to work for a crime boss. The film had its premiere at South by Southwest on March 11,2017 and is scheduled to be released in the United States on June 28,2017. A talented, young getaway driver Baby relies on the beat of his soundtrack to be the best in the game. When he meets the girl of his dreams, Baby sees a chance to ditch his criminal life, but after being coerced into working for a crime boss, he must face the music when a doomed heist threatens his life, love and freedom. Ansel Elgort as Baby, a music-obsessed, quiet man who works as the getaway driver for a rotating group of bank robbers. Kevin Spacey as Doc, a boss of the crew. Lily James as Deborah, a waitress and Baby’s innocent girlfriend, Jon Bernthal as Griff, one of the bank robbers. Jon Hamm as Buddy, the party animal and one of the villains, part of the bank robbers gang. Eiza González as Darling, one of the robbers, Buddy’s lawless and scandalous girlfriend. Jamie Foxx as Bats, the impulsive gun-slinging cohort, flea as Eddie No-Nose, one of the bank robbers. Sky Ferreira as Babys mom and the angel of his guard. He later kicked himself when the video became unexpectedly popular, on July 22,2014, it was announced that Edgar Wright, who left the project Ant-Man, would next direct Baby Driver for Working Title Films. Tim Bevan, Eric Fellner and Nira Park would produce the film, on January 13,2015, it was reported that Ansel Elgort was in early talks to join the film, which Sony Pictures Entertainment would release through TriStar Pictures. Emma Stone and Michael Douglas were also being eyed to be cast in the film, on May 7,2015, Lily James was in talks to join the film for female lead to play a waitress and love interest of Elgorts character. Media Rights Capital and TriStar would be co-financing the film together, on September 8,2015, Jamie Foxx was reportedly in talks to join the film. On October 20,2015, Jon Hamm signed on to star in the film to one of the villains, part of the bank robbers gang. On November 3,2015, Kevin Spacey was cast in the film to play the role of the boss of the crew, on December 16,2015, Eiza González joined the film to play one of the bank robbers and Hamms characters girlfriend
11. Bellman and True – Bellman and True is a 1987 film based on the novel of the same name by Desmond Lowden. The film was written and directed by Richard Loncraine and it stars Bernard Hill, Derek Newark and Richard Hope. The title comes from an old Cumberland song titled D’ye Ken John Peel, specifically the lyric, Yes, I ken John Peel, ranter and Ringwood, Bellman and True. From a find to a check, from a check to a view, the title uses a pun in the term Bellman which in the film’s case refers to a criminal who specialises in disabling intruder alarm systems. Hiller arrives at Paddington station with The Boy following a stay in Torquay, as they arrive they do not realise they are being followed by Gort who tails them as they check into a hotel near the station. A few days later The Boy is kidnapped by Gort and Hiller is also captured and it transpires that Hiller is a former computer programmer who stole a computer tape for Salto containing details of the security system at a bank near Heathrow Airport. The Boy is Hiller’s wife’s son and he looks after him after The Boy’s mother ran away with another man, Hiller and The Boy are kept captive in the house while Hiller is forced to decode the information on the tape. When he succeeds Salto realises that he has all the information he needs to rob the bank, Salto obtains the necessary finance for the robbery and recruits The Guv’nor to mastermind the robbery. During the planning stages, The Bellman identifies that the system for the bank is very sophisticated. Hiller is able to advise on how to beat the countermeasures and is recruited as the new Bellman for the robbery, the gang decide that they will rob the bank just before Christmas when it will hold one of the largest amounts of cash in its vaults. On the night of the robbery the gang intentionally trigger the alarm to fool the guards sent to investigate that the bank has been broken into. The guards assume the call is false whilst the gang use a small window of time to enter the bank allowing The Peterman to determine how to access the basement area. The gang use a lance to cut through the vault door. They leave the bank by releasing tear gas canisters to disorientate the guards and they manage to escape to a changeover point where they abandon the car and change to a van. On the journey to a location they hear that the security guard dog handler has died. The Guv’nor is frightened that he has broken a criminal code of conduct that no one gets hurt and he changes his plans and the gang travel to the beach next to Dungeness power station. Salto later arrives with The Boy, the explosion kills the Guv’nor and the others in the gang and Hiller escapes in the van with Salto driving. They make it to the plane pick-up point but Salto was mortally wounded after he was following the explosion