Category:Duran Duran songs
Pages in category "Duran Duran songs"
The following 61 pages are in this category, out of 61 total. This list may not reflect recent changes (learn more).
The following 61 pages are in this category, out of 61 total. This list may not reflect recent changes (learn more).
1. Duran Duran – Duran Duran are an English new wave and synthpop band formed in Birmingham in 1978. The band grew from alternative sensations in 1982 to mainstream pop stars by 1984, by the end of the decade, membership and music style changes challenged the band before a resurgence in the early 1990s. The group were a band in the MTV-driven Second British Invasion of the US. They have placed 14 singles in the top 10 of the UK Singles Chart and 21 in the Billboard Hot 100, when they first emerged, they were generally considered part of the New Romantic scene, along with bands such as Spandau Ballet. Soon they would shed this image, using fashion and marketing to build a more refined and they were also awarded a star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame. The video age catapulted Duran Duran into the mainstream with the introduction of the 24-hour music channel MTV, many of their videos were shot on 35 mm film, which gave a much more polished look than was standard at the time. They also collaborated with film directors to take the quality a step further. In 1984, the band were early innovators with video technology in their stadium shows. These five members featured the most commercially successful line-up, the reunion of the original five members in the early 2000s created a stir among the bands fans and music media. Andy Taylor left the once again in mid-2006, and guitarist Dom Brown has since been working with the band as a session player. John Taylor and Nick Rhodes formed Duran Duran in Birmingham, England in 1978, at the club they were doing jobs such as John working the door and with Nick deejaying for £10 a night. They began rehearsing and regularly playing at the venue, There were many nearby nightclubs, and the one significant one, where bands such as The Sex Pistols and The Clash played gigs, was called Barbarellas. They would go on to name the band after a character from Barbarella, the character, played by Milo OShea, is named Dr. Durand Durand. The bands first singer was Stephen Duffy, Simon Colley soon joined Taylor, Rhodes and Duffy. Colley was the original bass player, as John Taylor was the guitarist at this point. This was the first complete line-up of the band played live shows. For drums and percussion, a drum machine belonging to Rhodes was used. Colley left the prior to the addition of Andy Taylor
2. All She Wants Is – All She Wants Is is the eighteenth single from Duran Duran, and the second single from the Big Thing album. It was released in December 1988, and reached No.9 on the UK Singles Chart and No.22 on the Billboard Hot 100 in the United States. The video for All She Wants Is was shot in London with video director Dean Chamberlain, the clip won a 1988 MTV Video Music Award for innovation. The video took nearly a month to shoot, using very long exposures to create unusual animated light effects around a girl, a photo from the shoot featuring the band members and the girl was used as cover art for the back side of the single. With the masks fitted onto mannequins, Chamberlain was able to use painstakingly slow stop motion special effects, only a few brief scenes at the beginning and end of the video feature the real band members. The single b-side is a medley called I Believe/All I Need To Know. There are 7 official mixes of All She Wants Is and they are often credited with different names on different releases. The remixes were all done by Shep Pettibone, All She Wants Is was used in season 5, episode 5 of Cold Case in 2007. Faithful Dawn recorded a cover of the song which was available on a limited edition EP at Whitby 5.5 in 1998. All She Wants Is had an impact in the UK than its predecessor, hitting the top ten. In Europe as in the United States the single became a dance hit. No.9 UK Singles Chart No.22 Billboard Hot 100 No.24 Billboard Modern Rock Tracks No.1 Billboard Hot Dance Club Play No.2 Italy No.1 European Dance charts No
3. Duran Duran (1981 album) – Duran Duran is the debut album by the English new wave/synthpop band Duran Duran, released worldwide on EMI Records on 15 June 1981. The album reached No.3 on the United Kingdom charts and remained in the UK Top 100 for 117 weeks, the initial United States release was unsuccessful, but the album was reissued there in 1983 following the success of the bands second album, Rio. This time it reached No.10 on the US Billboard 200, Duran Duran was certified platinum by the RIAA in June 1985. The band wrote and recorded demos for the album at AIR Studios in 1980, while one of their main influences, the band Japan, was recording the Gentlemen Take Polaroids album just down the hall. The album was recorded in December 1980 at various recording studios in London with record producer Colin Thurston. In interviews, the band has recalled the struggle to continue recording after hearing of the murder of John Lennon on 8 December, music videos for Planet Earth and Careless Memories were also filmed in December. The first pressing of 30,000 copies of the Japanese version came with a colour poster, There is a notation on the obi strip that mentions this. The original American release included the Night Version of Planet Earth instead of the original, to The Shore was dropped from the US track listing to accommodate the-now increased length of Planet Earth. Earlier alternate titles for Anyone Out There and Night Boat are used, Duran Duran was re-released in the USA on 25 April 1983, after the success of their second album Rio in America gave the band another chance to market their first album there. The album had two changes to the original American track listing, Capitol Records replaced the Night Version of Planet Earth with the single version. Most notably, the then-current Duran Duran single, Is There Something I Should Know. was added to the track listing. The album also featured updated cover art designed by Malcolm Garrett, using the newer double D band logo featured on the Seven, the cover photo showed the evolution in the bands image since 1981. This reflected the bands teen-focused marketing which promoted the image and personality of band members. A remastered version of the album was released on 29 March 2010, recorded at the Hammersmith Odeon 17 December 1981, transmitted 13 April 1982. The first single of the career was Planet Earth, which reached No.12 on the UK charts. The band followed up with the release of Careless Memories on 20 April 1981, the third single from this album was the most successful. Girls on Film, released 13 July, went to No.5 in the UK, the raunchy soft porn video which featured semi-naked women created an uproar and a heavily edited day version was aired on MTV, and the band enjoyed and capitalized on the controversy. All tracks written by Duran Duran
4. All You Need Is Now – All You Need Is Now is the thirteenth studio album by the British rock band Duran Duran. Produced by Mark Ronson, a version of the album was released as a download on 21 December 2010. It is the bands first album not released by a record label, it appeared on the bands own label. The album debuted at No.119 on Billboard 200 on its initial December 2010 release and it reached with No.29 on its full March 2011 release. The album has sold 76,000 copies in the US as of August 2015, Duran Duran promoted the album through the All You Need Is Now Tour. All You Need Is Now currently holds a score of 74 out of 100 on Metacritic, crispin Kott of PopMatters wrote its the best album Duran Duran has released since Rio, giving the album 9 out of 10. Rolling Stone gave the album 3.5 out of 5, sarah Rodman from The Boston Globe praised the album and said Simon LeBon’s still sturdy voice soars over coolly funky backdrops and the grooves are some of the group’s most urgent in years. In the issue March 2011, Mojo gave the album 4 out of 5 and stated Take Roxy Music, add Kraftwerk, and sprinkle on some Chic, All You Need Is Now was the first single released from the album. It was initially released on iTunes on 8 December 2010 as a free download, the music video is directed by Nick Egan. Several song remixes were published as bonus tracks. Because it was released as a download, the single was considered chart ineligible on sales charts. The song peaked at No.38 on Billboard Adult Pop Songs Chart, the second single is Girl Panic. It was released as a limited 7 single for Record Store Day 2011 with a remix by David Lynch, leave a Light On was released as a 1-track promo only single in the UK. It was officially released for the British market after that BBC Radio 2 apparently refused to play the intended single Girl Panic. on the verge of the UK leg in their new world tour, the song peaked at No.31 on Billboard Adult Pop Songs Chart. Note, Mediterranea, and live versions of previous band hits Sunrise, also according to John Taylor, producer Matthew Hager worked on tracks for the March 2011 extended release of the album. Some of these songs are Networker Nation, published as bonus track, according to Nick Rhodes, This Lost Weekend is a slow song sounding like Motown, and it is nothing like anything on the album. Although it did not make it onto the track list. It was also released in Japan on the 2 disc CD version of All You Need Is Now
5. Duran Duran (1993 album) – Duran Duran is the seventh studio album and the second self-titled album by Duran Duran, released on 11 February 1993. After dwindling commercial success in the early 1990s, Duran Duran returned to the UK Top Five and US Top Ten with this album, the singles Ordinary World and Come Undone reached the US Top 10 of the Billboard Hot 100. The cover art by Nick Egan features wedding photos from the parents of the four band members, recording of the album was completed in early 1992 with an impending release by Capitol Records in the United States. Duran Durans new management company, Left Bank, was distressed at the apparent lack of enthusiasm for the album and had it pulled from the release schedule. Manager Tommy Manzi later told HitQuarters it was the industry that were unenthusiastic about the return of the rather than the music consumer. As it happened, the album reached No.4 in the UK Albums Chart, their highest charting album since 1983s Seven, in the UK, three singles from the album reached the Top 40 including Ordinary World, Come Undone and Too Much Information. Four singles taken from the album charted in the US, Ordinary World, Come Undone, Too Much Information, Breath After Breath, a collaboration with Milton Nascimento, was released only in Brazil, None of the Above in Japan and Femme Fatale in France. The song Sin of the City is about the Happy Land arson fire that killed 87 people trapped in a social club in New York City on March 25,1990. Frank Zappa and Lou Reed were collaborators in the post-production of the album, all tracks written by Duran Duran, except where noted
6. Burning the Ground – Burning The Ground is the 20th single by Duran Duran, released in December 1989. It was created as a single to promote the compilation album Decade. However, its video was included on the bands audiovisual compilation Greatest. The song is essentially a megamix of Duran Durans history, featuring tidbits of all of the hits of the previous ten years. Elements from A View To A Kill, Notorious, I Dont Want Your Love, segments of the song are marked by signature phrases taken from other songs, first, Can you hear me now. Later, I tell you, somebodys fooling around and The rhythm is the power, the title derives from a Hungry Like the Wolf lyric. The song also used several sound samples from the film Barbarella, from which the band took their name, just a minute, Ill slip something on. It was directed by Adrian Martin, the b-side was another megamix, this one more instrumental in nature, called Decadance
7. Paper Gods – Paper Gods is the fourteenth studio album from British new wave band Duran Duran on Warner Bros. The record was announced on 15 June 2015 via a press release posted on their website. The first single, Pressure Off, features vocals from American singer Janelle Monáe. Duran Duran promoted the album through the Paper Gods on Tour. The album cover, designed by artist Alex Israel, is his 2013 painting titled, Sky Backdrop, the deluxe physical copy of the record comes with sixteen stickers of Duran Duran iconography to mirror the album cover. The band announced a tour of the United States and the United Kingdom to coincide with the albums release, the lead single from the album, Pressure Off, was released in the United States on 19 June, first via Microsofts Xbox Music. The song subsequently appeared on Google Music, on 3 October 2015, the album entered the Billboard 200 at number 10 and became their first top 10 album since 1993s Duran Duran. In its second week, the fell to number 76. In the UK it hit number 5, in Italy it hit number 2. The album reentered the Billboard 200 at #45 during the week of January 12,2016
8. Careless Memories – Careless Memories is the second single by Duran Duran, released on 20 April 1981. It has since come to light that the decision to release the single was not the bands, after its failure, executives decided to let Duran Duran choose their own single releases. The bands first selection was Girls on Film and it became their first Top 5 hit in the UK. The video was shot in Soho and directed by Perry Haines, There are two different cuts of this video. The second version, which was included in the Duran Duran video album released in 1983, the original version of the video was finally released on the Duran Duran 2010 2CD+DVD remaster. An example of the differences between the two occur during the line, On the table, signs of love lie scattered. In the original version, Simon is sitting on the couch and he then proceeds to take the tulips out of the vase, then throws them in the air. In the second version, it shows a shot of the band on stage, then cuts to Simon taking the tulips, another example is during the line, I walked out into the sun, I try to find a new day. In the original, Simon is in the room, opening the door. In the re-edit, it once again shows a shot of the band on stage, the band resurrected the song to play live during their reunion shows in 2004 and 2005. The song Khanada was included as the B-side to the single and it is reported to have been written for fashion designer Jane Kahn who owned, with partner Patti Bell, the Hurst Street shop Kahn & Bell where Duran Duran shopped for clothes. Careless Memories is one of three singles that didnt include a remix of the title track, the other two being Save A Prayer and A View to a Kill. To compensate for this, EMI issued a bonus B-side on the 12, however, the Careless Memories 12 version fades out at 3,44 seconds, the 7 version three seconds earlier at 3,41. The 7 version is included in the Singles Box Set 1981-1985, in Japan, the two b-sides were released on the Nite Romantics EP, along with night versions of Girls on Film and Planet Earth. Careless Memories –3,41 Khanada –3,17 Careless Memories –3,53 Fame –3,11 Khanada –3,17 Track 1 is the version of Careless Memories. Careless Memories –3,53 Is There Anyone Out There –4.02 Girls On Film –3.30 Track 1 is the version of Careless Memories. Careless Memories –3,44 Khanada –3,17 Fame –3,11 Track 1 is the 7 version of Careless Memories. When the song Is There Something I Should Know. was issued as a single in the US, the song was also a favourite live staple throughout the 1980s, as evidenced on the live album Arena
9. The Chauffeur – The Chauffeur is a Duran Duran song from their second album Rio. The lyrics were first written by Simon Le Bon as a poem in 1978, two different versions of the song were originally recorded by Duran Duran, and the song has been covered by three mainstream artists. Two music videos of the song have made at different times. Unusually for the band, the title does not appear anywhere in the songs lyrics. The origins of the lyrics for The Chauffeur have become part of the Duran Duran legend, Simon Le Bon auditioned in May 1980, bringing with him a book of poetry and lyrics, including the lyrics to the song which would eventually become The Chauffeur. The word chauffeur does not appear in the lyric at any point, however the song is written from the point of view of someone who is driving another person, some versions of the song feature words at the end of the track, spoken sotto voce by a man. This monologue is taken from a history recording - the man is speaking about insects in the grass. The song refrain sing blue silver was used as the title of the bands video covering its 1983-84 tour, a book of the same name was also produced to support the tour, showcasing still photography by official tour photographer Denis ORegan. The flute-like instrument heard toward the end of the song is an ocarina played by Simon Le Bon, the Chauffeur music video was directed by Ian Emes, a British animator and film director from Birmingham known for his work with Pink Floyd. The Chauffeur is one of two tracks on Rio to have its own music video. None of the band appear in the video and it is a moody black-and-white piece inspired in part by Liliana Cavanis 1974 film, The Night Porter, and the photography of Helmut Newton. A woman in a costume is driven in a Austin Princess limousine by a uniformed chauffeur. Elsewhere, another woman dresses herself carefully in lingerie and walks through the streets of London towards a rendezvous in an abandoned multi-storey car park, the video featured on the 1983 video album entitled Duran Duran. It has also included on the 1999 Greatest VHS compilation and 2003 Duran Duran. 1. The Chauffeur - The standard version of the song, probably Duran Durans most known non-single song. 2. The Chauffeur - Early acoustic demo version of the song that got its only official releases as one of the b-sides on the Rio single and this version of the song is almost two minutes shorter than the final version. All songs written by Duran Duran and this version was used in the film Resident Evil, Apocalypse and appears on the Resident Evil, Apocalypse – Original Soundtrack CD and on the Duran Duran Tribute Album. Sleepthief released his version on the album The Dawnseeker, sleepthief have recorded ten remixes of the song, which were released as an EP on iTunes in 2007
10. Come Undone (Duran Duran song) – Come Undone is a song by British band Duran Duran. It was released in March 1993 as the single from the album Duran Duran. It is their 24th single overall, with their commercial and critical success reestablished by the previous single Ordinary World, Come Undone continued to showcase more of the bands entry into the adult contemporary radio format. The single proved to be the second consecutive US top ten hit from The Wedding Album. It was also popular in the UK and other international markets, Rhodes expanded on the songs creation during the albums 20th anniversary in 2013. It was something that Warren and I started writing some other stuff that we’d been playing around with. He said, Wow, I love that. ’ And so it became a Duran Duran song. Came up with a great melody – we already had the can’t ever keep from falling apart section – and he very quickly made it his. The song was included as a last minute addition to their album in 1993, with the lyrics being written by Le Bon as a gift for his wife. The groups bassist, John Taylor, did not actually play bass on this track, Nick Rhodes and John Jones both contributed synth bass on the track during his absence. Tessa Niles was credited with backing vocals, the song also contains a sample from The Soul Searchers song Ashleys Roachclip. According to John Jones, at the time we had completed and mastered the Wedding Album and had started the cover album Thank You. One day we took the drum loop and bass groove from a demo of mine called Face to Face and added the ultra cool guitar riff that Warren had come up with for a new cover version of First Impression. After a couple of hours of tweaking we played the track over the phone to Capitol in Los Angeles and they loved it, when Nick arrived that afternoon the intro was carved into a song that we played to Simon that night. He was back the day with the lyrics and the melody. On the fourth day we finished the track detail and sent it to David Richards in Switzerland to be mixed, lamya Al-Mugheiry sang the backing vocals in the Unplugged version of the song for MTV in November 1993. The Come Undone video was directed by Julien Temple, shots of the band were filmed in the London Aquarium, prominently featuring an arowana, these were interspersed with short vignettes of people coming undone in various ways. These vignettes include a little girl seeing her parents together, a couple who have survived a flood, an alcoholic