Category:English-language singers of the Philippines
Pages in category "English-language singers of the Philippines"
The following 19 pages are in this category, out of 19 total. This list may not reflect recent changes (learn more).
The following 19 pages are in this category, out of 19 total. This list may not reflect recent changes (learn more).
1. Anna Fegi – Anna Fegi is a Filipina singer and actress from Cebu, Philippines. Fegi is recognized by her voice, high vocal range. Anna Fegi was born in Toledo, Cebu, Philippines and is the fourth of seven born to Gaudencio. The family is a musical family and they spent time together singing and performing while living in Barangay Lutopan. Her mother was a teacher at De LaSalle Andres Soriano Memorial School. The family lived together in a house in the teachers compound on the school campus. Her father built his own sound systems from scratch and it was on those systems that he played records, barbra Streisand and Whitney Houston were two of the early influences of Fegi as she learned to sing along to their records. At the encouragement of her parents, Anna entered local singing contests and performed for school, Fegi was first discovered by Ryan Cayabyab and producer Judd Berlin during a talent search in Cebu when they was looking for a new member of the award-winning group, Smokey Mountain. She was just sixteen years old when she moved to Manila to begin rehearsals with the group and she performed a year later as a part of the groups third batch, along with Chedi Vergara and Jason Angangan, while touring in Japan in 1994. After performing in Smokey Mountain, she turned to the world of musical theater and she continued performing for school events and was able to tour the United States for the first time as a part of the schools Dramatics and Cultural Ensemble, directed by Dr. Milagros Espina. In 1997, Ryan Cayabyab wrote the song Rainbow in My Cloud as the song for the animated movie Vulcan. The recording won an AWIT Award in 1998 for Best Theme Song for Movie/TV/Stage, in 1998, Fegi decided to leave school and move to Manila to become closer to the music scene. One of the first people she was introduced to was her future manager, Carballo became Fegis manager for five years in Manila. Television network ABS-CBN produces a song writing competition each year called Himig Handog. Fegi entered the competition in 2000 performing the song Larawan, composed by Dodjie Simon, upon her success from Himig Handog, she signed a record deal later that year with the Sony BMG. This led to her release of two solo albums. Fegis debut album titled Every Step of the Way was recorded in 2000 and it featured the original recording of the popular song I Need You, although Rimes released it sooner. It was also in 2000 that Fegi joined the popular ABS-CBN television program ASAP and she went on to perform as a regular member of the show for five years
2. Regine Velasquez – Regine Velasquez-Alcasid is a Filipina singer with a 4-5 vocal octaves. Velasquez won the Grand Prize at the 1989 Asia Pacific Singing Contest in Hong Kong, in 1994, Polygram Records produced her first Asia wide-released album, Listen Without Prejudice. It is considered as Velasquez most successful album to date, selling more than 700,000 copies in Asia alone, the album has sold over 100,000 units in the Philippines,300,000 units in China and 20,000 in Thailand. In 2000, Velasquezs music video In Love With You, a duet with Jacky Cheung, landed at the #1 spot in MTV Asias Top 20 Asian Videos. On the eve of the new millennium, as part of BBCs Millennium Special 2000 Today, Velasquez, together with some 2,000 Filipino youth, sang the Philippine millennium theme and this was broadcast by BBC to 67 countries reaching almost a billion viewers. At age 21, Velasquez is the first Asian solo performing artist to stage a concert at the Carnegie Hall in New York. In 2002, she is the first Filipino to win at the MTV Asia Awards held in Singapore as Favorite Artist Philippines, the following year, she won the same award at the 2003 MTV Asia Awards. In 2003, she is the first Filipino artist to have a CNN Talk Asia special interview with Lorraine Hahn, in 2012, Velasquez had the honor of being the first Filipino artist to stage asolo concert at the SM Mall of Asia Arena in Pasay, Philippines. Her movie Pangako, Ikaw Lang earned her Box-Office Queen title, Regine Velasquez is the first child of Teresita and Gerardo Velasquez, born in Tondo, Manila. Her family moved to Hinundayan, Southern Leyte, where Velasquez studied at the Hinundayan Central School, Music figured largely in her early development, due to her parents, and at six Velasquez participated in a nationally-televised amateur singing competition, The Tita Bettys Childrens Show. Her piece, Buhat Nang Kitay Makilala, won third place, Velasquez continued to compete in more singing competitions in small towns around the country. By the age of nine, Velasquez and her family had moved to Balagtas, Bulacan and she later studied at St. Lawrence Academy, where she won Vocal Solo and Vocal Duet awards for her school at the annual BULPRISA competition. At fourteen, Velasquez entered the division of Ang Bagong Kampeon. She won a contract with OctoArts, recording the single Love Me Again as Chona Velasquez and she then joined OPM, an organization of Filipino singers, performing in music lounges all over Metro Manila. At the behest of friend and fellow OctoArts recording artist, Pops Fernandez, Velasquez guested on GMA 7s Variety TV show, Martin Nievera, Fernandezs then husband and co-host of the show, suggested to Velasquez that she drop the name Chona and use Regine as her performing name. That year, her father resigned from his job as a construction estimator to fully attend to his daughters blossoming career, Viva Records signed Velasquez to a contract in 1987, releasing her self-titled debut album Regine. The album contained the songs Kung Maibabalik Ko Lang, Isang Lahi and her first regularly televised performances were musical variety shows with ensemble casts, such as ABS-CBNs Triple Treat and the Sunday variety show Teen Pan Alley. Velasquez and Alleys Janno Gibbs continued to collaborate throughout the years, creating the musical Kenkoy at Rosing, recording the cover song Magkasuyo Buong Gabi, in 1989, Velasquez was chosen to represent the Philippines at the Asia-Pacific Singing Contest in Hong Kong
3. Alden Richards – Richard Reyes Faulkerson, Jr. popularly known by his stage name Alden Richards, is a Filipino actor, host, model and recording artist. He is best known as the half of the AlDub love team opposite Maine Mendoza. The couple regularly appear in the Kalyeserye segment of Eat Bulaga. and his other notable works include Alakdana, Tween Hearts, One True Love, Carmela, The Road, My Bebe Love #KiligPaMore and Imagine You and Me. He is also known for his role as Lakan in the series of Encantadia. During the 29th PMPC Star Awards for Television in 2015, Richards won his first Best Actor award for his portrayal of José Rizal in Ilustrado. As a recording artist, Richards released two albums, an album in 2013 under Universal Records and Wish I May in 2015 under GMA Records. His eponymous album reached Platinum status while Wish I May reached Diamond status and he has released his third album, Say It Again and is doing well in record and I tunes sales. Richards who started as a model joined various male beauty pageants, appeared in various magazines and he is also known for his philanthropy and took part in charitable works. His life story is featured in an episode of Magpakailanman and Richards released a book entitled In My Own Words in July 2015 under Summit Media. The BBC described AlDub as a television and social media success in the Philippines. Alden Richards was born Richard Reyes Faulkerson, Jr. on January 2,1992 in Santa Rosa City, Laguna and he is the second child of Richard Peralta Faulkerson, Sr. of Ermita, Manila and Rosario Reyes, a native of Pampanga. He has two siblings, a brother and a younger sister. Richards is of American descent through his grandfather, whom he has never met personally. Growing up, Richards wanted to be a pilot but his mother urged him to acting instead. He holds the titles Ginoong Sta Rosa 2009 and Ginoong Laguna 2010 and he also tried to be in the reality television shows StarStruck and Pinoy Big Brother, Teen Clash of 2010 but both auditions failed. He also appeared on a commercial for a multivitamins product. He studied high school at Paco Catholic School in Paco, Manila and he studied but failed to finish a business administration degree at De La Salle Canlubang in Biñan City, Laguna. After doing modelling stints, Richards auditioned for a role on the GMA Networks afternoon soap
4. Piolo Pascual – Piolo Jose Nonato Pascual is a Filipino film and television actor, musician, model, and producer. Piolo Pascual, born at 8,46 PM on January 12,1977 at Ospital ng Maynila Medical Center in Malate, Manila, is the youngest son of Amelia Amy Nonato Pascual and Philip Victoriano Pascual. While growing up, Pascual enjoyed a close bond with his siblings—Chiqui, Paulette, Pam, Choi, and Patricia—despite their own fathers early death. His father was a director for international films that are shot in the Philippines, though Pascual cant recall if it affected his ambition on becoming an actor. He lived a life, he went to school and spent time on outings. Pascual attended elementary and high school at St. Francis School in Santa Ana, when he was in 5th Grade, Piolo joined the school theater group, Teatro Ni Kiko, where he was introduced to the world of theater and acting. While he was in third year high school, Pascual started appearing in Thats Entertainment and he eventually left Thats Entertainment, however, to get into college full-time, studying at the University of Santo Tomas, where he studied AB General Education. He later shifted to Physical Therapy in preparation for his immigration to the U. S. Around 1996, however, Piolo had to put his studies and they lived in Los Angeles, where he worked as an ER representative in a hospital where his mother worked. When Pascual turned 21, he decided to return to Manila in order to pursue his career once again. In 1994, Pascual started his career in Thats Entertainment, then he appeared in some TV shows including Mara Clara, and Gimik. His loveteam with Judy Ann Santos became phenomenal in early 2000s and their four movies, Kahit Isang Saglit, Bakit Di Totohanin, Till There Was You, and Dont Give Up on Us, earned more than P100 million in the box office. His movie with Claudine Barretto, Milan, became his top-grossing film up to date, in 2002, Pascual played the role of Jules in the award-winning film, Dekada 70. In 2003, Pascual ventured into music with his debut album Piolo which went platinum and his second album My Gift hit Platinum status as well. His 5th solo album Timeless hit Triple Platinum status, Pascual is a member of ABS-CBNs Star Magic. He celebrated his 10th year anniversary in 2007 with a coffee table book, a solo album. In 2008, he starred in a fantasy TV series Lobo together with Angel Locsin, the show gained accolades from Banff World Media Festival and International Emmy Awards. In 2009, Pascual became a producer for Manila, an independent twinbill film under Bicycle Pictures
5. Sarah Geronimo – Sarah Asher Tua Geronimo is a Filipino singer, songwriter, record producer, dancer, actress and television personality. Widely known as the Popstar Royalty, her contributions to music along with her film, born and raised in Santa Cruz, Manila, Geronimo started a career in music at the age of 14 after winning the television singing contest Star for a Night. The album became a record and won two Awit Awards. Her music was categorized as pop until the release of her tenth studio album Expressions. Subsequently, she was nominated for the awards in the 27th Awit Awards including Album of the Year. Following a crossover success, Geronimo continued on the musical form. Geronimo began working with television network ABS-CBN in 2004 and she appeared in projects such as ASAP, Bituing Walang Ningning and Sarah G. Live. She was also a coach in The Voice of the Philippines, Geronimo then ventured into mainstream cinema and is best known for playing the lead role in the films, A Very Special Love, You Changed My Life and It Takes a Man and a Woman. All of which are in the list of highest-grossing films in the Philippines that earned her three Box-office Queen titles from GMMSF Box-Office Entertainment Awards and she also received two nominations of FAMAS Award for Best Actress for these films respectively. Geronimo has a collective box-office receipt of over PHP1 billion, in 2015, FAMAS named her as one of the six Iconic Movie Queens of Philippine Cinema. Throughout her career, Geronimo has received 12 Awit Awards,8 Aliw Awards,26 Myx Music Awards, Geronimo is pop musics best-selling artist of all time in the Philippines, having sold more than 1 million albums. She was inducted into the Anak TV Hall of Fame in 2013 for being worthy of emulation by children. Sarah Asher Tua Geronimo was born on July 25,1988 in Santa Cruz, Manila, Philippines to Delfin Geronimo, a retired PLDT employee, and Divina Tua Geronimo and she is the third of four children. She started singing publicly at age two, at the age of four, she was accompanied by her mother to join auditions for different television programs. Geronimo became part of the shows Penpen De Sarapen, Ang TV and she has also played as an extra in the movie Sarah. In between auditions, Geronimo would perform at shopping malls and hotel lounges, Geronimo, then age 7, was one of the performers during the 1995 visit of Pope John Paul II. Geronimo at an early age joined different singing contests the first of which was Tuklas Talino sponsored by the Philippine Long Distance Telephone Company, in 2002, Geronimo competed on the television singing contest Star for a Night aired in IBC. At the age of fourteen, she won the prize that included PHP1 million
6. Maria Amapola Cabase – Maria Amapola Cabase, better known by her stage name Amapola, is a Filipino singer, actress, musician, television and radio host. She is widely known in the Philippines as the original artist for the song, Kapantay Ay Langit, which was later popularized by singer Pilita Corrales. Philippine First Lady Imelda Marcos dubbed Cabase as a Music Ambassador for the country in 1973 in celebration of Amapolas first concert in New York, November 3,1973, at New Yorks Town Hall. In 1984, she released her debut album produced in collaboration with jazz pianist Bobby Enriquez. Amapolas music career began when she sang the love theme Guihigugma Ko Ikaw for the Azucena Pictures film Utlanan, the song Kapantay Ay Langit on YouTube sung by Amapola and composed by George Canseco, won the Manila Film Festival Gabi Ng Parangal song of the year award. It was later popularized by singer Pilita Corrales which eventually became her signature song, Amapola was awarded the key to Cebu City by then Governor Manuel Cuenco to celebrate her work as Toy Orchestra Conductor, making her the youngest person ever to receive the honor. The event was held at Cebu Citys DYRC-Radio, attended by Cebu Normal School Military Toy Orchestra, conductor Amapola and director Coronada Pingol, since the 1970s, Amapola has performed jazz and popular music. In 1979, Amapolas band, Amy and the Sounds, featuring her father, in the 1980s, Amapola won a number of awards for her music, such as the Awit Award for Best Female Singer and Best Vocal Performance. Formerly with DSwan Records and winning her first Awit Awards as Best Female Singer in the Vernacular, the aforementioned singles anchored the Gold hit Songs and Amapola under the Pioneer record label. Amapola held the title of Philippine Jukebox Queen in the early 70s, all tracks were written and performed by DAmarillo and his orchestra. The albums back cover featured George Cansecos poem, Ode To Amapola, Amapola hosted Amapola Presents Show a weekly TV variety show at KEMO-TV in San Francisco, which she hosted from 1978 to 1981. She regularly performed on Manila television shows such as Stop, Look, Listen, superstar, Seeing Stars, Etchos Lang and Live with Pops and Martin throughout the 1980s. Amapola was discovered by Espiridion Laxa who signed her up with Tagalog Ilang-Ilang Productions for three films and she co-starred with Victor Wood in, Mr. Lonely in 1972 and You Are My Destiny in 1973. Both films were directed by Leonardo L. Garcia and written by Rico Bello Omagap, casting for the third film I Went To Your Wedding was changed when Amapola began her USA tour in Honolulu, Hawaii. In 2003, Amapola published Coming Home, her first novel, Coming Home won the Florida Writers Associations Royal Palm Literary Award for Romantic Fiction and was a finalist for Best Fiction of 2004 in Foreword Magazine. In 2005, she published Promising Skies, which received acclaim from New York Times best-selling author Ellen Tanner Marsh. In 1990, Amapola played the role of Bloody Mary in the RVL Sun’s Theater production of South Pacific, on board the Hanseatic, Amapola was offered to sing on board the MS Gripsholm. In 2006, Amapola was invited to headline on board Regent Seven Seas Cruises Voyager World Cruise, Amapola raised two children with her second husband, Nicolas T. Aiello
7. King Girado – Girado, Jr. better known by his stage name King, is a Filipino singer, musician, model and actor. He graduated with a degree of Bachelor of Science in Medical Technology from Far Eastern University and he is Popular for his hit songs Maybe, Bat di Mo Pagbigyan and Will You wait for Me from his albums Solo and The reason I exist under Star Records. During his childhood, King was not interested in singing though and he grew up in a music-filled environment. He is the sibling of four children. His father, Filbert Girado, Sr. was a businessman and former member of The Bayanihan Vocal Group and his mother Daulet Girado and he is the second of 4 siblings, brother of Asias Diamond Soul Siren Nina. His Mom used to put him to piano lessons, but told his younger sister Nina to go for him instead and he possessed the talent indeed but the idea of being a singer was furthest from his mind. It was on his teen years when he discovered New Kids On The Block and he was fascinated by the high- pitched falsetto of Jordan Knight and wanted to be like him. The love of music in the entertainment industry is too good to be resisted, King just respected the call to become a singer and joined his sister Nina as the frontman of the band MYMP. He also joined the boyband IdolZone 2 and formed his own group Domain when the band did not work out, the last band he joined was Spunk. And when it fell apart, Star Records offered him an opportunity, Star Records at that time was planning to establish a local boy group, equivalent to international bands such as NSYNC and Backstreet Boys. King immediately grabbed the chance and auditioned and he was accepted but told to wait for they were lacking some more members. Eventually, the plan of putting up a boy band was set aside and He was chosen to be a part of the ”Solo” album project. The three was launched to stardom as solo performer through Solo, king’s first single “Maybe” hit the #1 spot in radio stations and established King as a recording artist. The album was awarded certified Gold status during Kings Birthday celebration in ASAP, King launched his own album entitled The reason I exist at the Hardrock cafe together with the launch of his new music video Bat di mo pagbigyan. He sang the Tagalog theme song Ikaw ang buhay Ko, a form the Taiwanese song Cun Zai for the 5566 Taiwanese Idol drama TV series Westside Story in ABS-CBN. The Center for Pop Music Philippines awarded King as 2005 Singing Ambassador, King represented the Philippines in the 2008 World Championships of Performing Arts and brought home medals in four categories in the male vocalist division. He has held concerts in other countries such as in the USA, Saipan, Dubai, Japan. Before King entered showbusiness, he had done television commercials such as Talk N Txt, Nescafe, in 2005, He did a Mexicorn TV commercial with actress Pauleen Luna
8. Toni Gonzaga – Celestine Cruz Gonzaga-Soriano, better known as Toni Gonzaga, is a Filipino television host, actress and singer. Toni Gonzaga is a resident of Taytay, Rizal and the eldest daughter of Carlito and Crisanta Gonzaga and her sister, Catherine Cathy Gonzaga, professionally known as Alex Gonzaga, is also an actress and television host. In Taytay, she was an elected Barangay Kagawad for one term and she studied mass communication at the Dominican College in San Juan for two years. Later, she transferred to the Asian Institute for Distance Education and shifted her major to AB English and she is currently enrolled at the University of the Philippines Open University taking up her bachelors degree in multimedia studies. Gonzaga is a member of the United Methodist Church. In February 2016, an announced that the couple was expecting their first child. Gonzaga herself confirmed the announcement on ASAP on 17 April 2016, Gonzaga gave birth to their son, Severiano Elliott, on 30 September 2016. Gonzaga started in entertainment at the age of 13. It was in 1997 where she joined a competition called Metropop Star Search. Two other Filipina singers, Kyla and Faith Cuneta, started their career on the singing television show. Gonzaga did not win the competition, Gonzagas biggest break in the entertainment industry was her Sprite TV ad with Piolo Pascual in 2001. In the same year, she released her eponymous album under Prime Music and Paano. In 2002, she one of the main hosts in the long-time afternoon variety show Eat Bulaga. She also sang Doon, the song of TAPE, Inc. s afternoon TV drama on GMA, Ikaw Sa Puso Ko which starred StarStruck finalist, Nadine Samonte. In 2002, she was cast in the television series Habang Kapiling Ka starring Angelika dela Cruz. In March 2004, she joined Studio 23s Wazzup Wazzup with Archie Alemania, in January 2005, Gonzaga transferred to ABS-CBN, later becoming one of the main hosts of the Pinoy Big Brother series and the Sunday musical variety program ASAP. Same year, she starred as one of the leads in her first comedy-horror film. In 2006, she released her album and her first under Star Records entitled Toni, You Complete Me
9. James Reid (entertainer) – Robert James Reid is a Filipino-Australian singer, actor, dancer, karateka, and songwriter with dual Filipino and Australian citizenship. He has since starred in the movies Talk Back and Youre Dead, Para sa Hopeless Romantic and he also starred in the TV series Good Vibes, On the Wings of Love, and Till I Met You. He is also known for his debut album James Reid in 2013, Reid was born in Sydney, Australia, on May 11,1993 to an Australian father, Robert Malcolm Reid, and a Filipino mother, Maria Aprilyn Marquinez. He lived in Mosman, on the North Shore of Sydney, Reid has four brothers and three sisters. His mother Maria, is a former singer and his parents separated when he was only two years old, and Reid lived in Australia until he was 15. With only his father, Reid moved to the Philippines due to financial issues, Reid has stated before that he experienced difficulty adjusting to his new life in the Philippines, especially with the different academics and social skills, as well as language. Back in Australia, he was a gymnast and swimmer and he is currently in a relationship with Nadine Lustre at the same age and after working together since 2013. They got together on February 11,2016 and he confirmed their relationship at their sold-out JaDine In Love concert on February 21,2016. Reid was only 17 years old when he entered the Pinoy Big Brother house as one of the 10 Teenternational housemates on April 30,2010 and he celebrated his 17th birthday inside the house with his co-teenternational housemates giving him a surprise pool party. Reid was the only housemate who had Filipino blood. Reid was almost forced evicted twice during his stay inside the house, at first the doctors diagnosed Reid with costrochondritis but during his second visit at the hospital the doctors found a hole in one of his lungs that is causing him difficulties in his breathing. After the complications, Reid was able to return to the Big Brother House, with conditions of having to rest frequently as well as wearing an oxygen tube for 1 week 24/7. One June 8,2010, Reid was notified by the producers of Big Brother that he was no longer required to use the oxygen tube, he was only required to use it when he is sleeping. On June 26,2010, he was crowned as the Pinoy Big Brother, on July 24,2011, Reid together with Bret Jackson launched their first digital album entitled We Are Whatever on ASAP Rocks. Reid and Jackson featured four songs including Cant dance featuring their co-housemates Ann Li. Right after winning PBB, Reid was paired with his co-housemate Devon Seron in some ABS-CBN shows like Shoutout. and he was offered a 2-year Star Magic contract with ABS-CBN. He was also paired with Yen Santos in Pintada, in 2012, Reid left Star Magic and signed with Viva Artists Agency. A year later, he launched his debut album, with two covers and four original songs, two of which composed by Reid himself