Category:English-language singers of the Philippines
Pages in category "English-language singers of the Philippines"
The following 18 pages are in this category, out of 18 total. This list may not reflect recent changes (learn more).
The following 18 pages are in this category, out of 18 total. This list may not reflect recent changes (learn more).
1. Anna Fegi – Anna Fegi is a Filipina singer and actress from Cebu, Philippines. Fegi is recognized by her voice, high vocal range. Anna Fegi was born in Toledo, Cebu, Philippines and is the fourth of seven born to Gaudencio. The family is a musical family and they spent time together singing and performing while living in Barangay Lutopan. Her mother was a teacher at De LaSalle Andres Soriano Memorial School. The family lived together in a house in the teachers compound on the school campus. Her father built his own sound systems from scratch and it was on those systems that he played records, barbra Streisand and Whitney Houston were two of the early influences of Fegi as she learned to sing along to their records. At the encouragement of her parents, Anna entered local singing contests and performed for school, Fegi was first discovered by Ryan Cayabyab and producer Judd Berlin during a talent search in Cebu when they was looking for a new member of the award-winning group, Smokey Mountain. She was just sixteen years old when she moved to Manila to begin rehearsals with the group and she performed a year later as a part of the groups third batch, along with Chedi Vergara and Jason Angangan, while touring in Japan in 1994. After performing in Smokey Mountain, she turned to the world of musical theater and she continued performing for school events and was able to tour the United States for the first time as a part of the schools Dramatics and Cultural Ensemble, directed by Dr. Milagros Espina. In 1997, Ryan Cayabyab wrote the song Rainbow in My Cloud as the song for the animated movie Vulcan. The recording won an AWIT Award in 1998 for Best Theme Song for Movie/TV/Stage, in 1998, Fegi decided to leave school and move to Manila to become closer to the music scene. One of the first people she was introduced to was her future manager, Carballo became Fegis manager for five years in Manila. Television network ABS-CBN produces a song writing competition each year called Himig Handog. Fegi entered the competition in 2000 performing the song Larawan, composed by Dodjie Simon, upon her success from Himig Handog, she signed a record deal later that year with the Sony BMG. This led to her release of two solo albums. Fegis debut album titled Every Step of the Way was recorded in 2000 and it featured the original recording of the popular song I Need You, although Rimes released it sooner. It was also in 2000 that Fegi joined the popular ABS-CBN television program ASAP and she went on to perform as a regular member of the show for five years
2. Regine Velasquez – Regine Velasquez-Alcasid is a Filipina singer with a 4-5 vocal octaves. Velasquez won the Grand Prize at the 1989 Asia Pacific Singing Contest in Hong Kong, in 1994, Polygram Records produced her first Asia wide-released album, Listen Without Prejudice. It is considered as Velasquez most successful album to date, selling more than 700,000 copies in Asia alone, the album has sold over 100,000 units in the Philippines,300,000 units in China and 20,000 in Thailand. In 2000, Velasquezs music video In Love With You, a duet with Jacky Cheung, landed at the #1 spot in MTV Asias Top 20 Asian Videos. On the eve of the new millennium, as part of BBCs Millennium Special 2000 Today, Velasquez, together with some 2,000 Filipino youth, sang the Philippine millennium theme and this was broadcast by BBC to 67 countries reaching almost a billion viewers. At age 21, Velasquez is the first Asian solo performing artist to stage a concert at the Carnegie Hall in New York. In 2002, she is the first Filipino to win at the MTV Asia Awards held in Singapore as Favorite Artist Philippines, the following year, she won the same award at the 2003 MTV Asia Awards. In 2003, she is the first Filipino artist to have a CNN Talk Asia special interview with Lorraine Hahn, in 2012, Velasquez had the honor of being the first Filipino artist to stage asolo concert at the SM Mall of Asia Arena in Pasay, Philippines. Her movie Pangako, Ikaw Lang earned her Box-Office Queen title, Regine Velasquez is the first child of Teresita and Gerardo Velasquez, born in Tondo, Manila. Her family moved to Hinundayan, Southern Leyte, where Velasquez studied at the Hinundayan Central School, Music figured largely in her early development, due to her parents, and at six Velasquez participated in a nationally-televised amateur singing competition, The Tita Bettys Childrens Show. Her piece, Buhat Nang Kitay Makilala, won third place, Velasquez continued to compete in more singing competitions in small towns around the country. By the age of nine, Velasquez and her family had moved to Balagtas, Bulacan and she later studied at St. Lawrence Academy, where she won Vocal Solo and Vocal Duet awards for her school at the annual BULPRISA competition. At fourteen, Velasquez entered the division of Ang Bagong Kampeon. She won a contract with OctoArts, recording the single Love Me Again as Chona Velasquez and she then joined OPM, an organization of Filipino singers, performing in music lounges all over Metro Manila. At the behest of friend and fellow OctoArts recording artist, Pops Fernandez, Velasquez guested on GMA 7s Variety TV show, Martin Nievera, Fernandezs then husband and co-host of the show, suggested to Velasquez that she drop the name Chona and use Regine as her performing name. That year, her father resigned from his job as a construction estimator to fully attend to his daughters blossoming career, Viva Records signed Velasquez to a contract in 1987, releasing her self-titled debut album Regine. The album contained the songs Kung Maibabalik Ko Lang, Isang Lahi and her first regularly televised performances were musical variety shows with ensemble casts, such as ABS-CBNs Triple Treat and the Sunday variety show Teen Pan Alley. Velasquez and Alleys Janno Gibbs continued to collaborate throughout the years, creating the musical Kenkoy at Rosing, recording the cover song Magkasuyo Buong Gabi, in 1989, Velasquez was chosen to represent the Philippines at the Asia-Pacific Singing Contest in Hong Kong
3. Alden Richards – Richard Reyes Faulkerson, Jr. popularly known by his stage name Alden Richards, is a Filipino actor, host, model and recording artist. He is best known as the half of the AlDub love team opposite Maine Mendoza. The couple regularly appear in the Kalyeserye segment of Eat Bulaga. and his other notable works include Alakdana, Tween Hearts, One True Love, Carmela, The Road, My Bebe Love #KiligPaMore and Imagine You and Me. He is also known for his role as Lakan in the series of Encantadia. During the 29th PMPC Star Awards for Television in 2015, Richards won his first Best Actor award for his portrayal of José Rizal in Ilustrado. As a recording artist, Richards released two albums, an album in 2013 under Universal Records and Wish I May in 2015 under GMA Records. His eponymous album reached Platinum status while Wish I May reached Diamond status and he has released his third album, Say It Again and is doing well in record and I tunes sales. Richards who started as a model joined various male beauty pageants, appeared in various magazines and he is also known for his philanthropy and took part in charitable works. His life story is featured in an episode of Magpakailanman and Richards released a book entitled In My Own Words in July 2015 under Summit Media. The BBC described AlDub as a television and social media success in the Philippines. Alden Richards was born Richard Reyes Faulkerson, Jr. on January 2,1992 in Santa Rosa City, Laguna and he is the second child of Richard Peralta Faulkerson, Sr. of Ermita, Manila and Rosario Reyes, a native of Pampanga. He has two siblings, a brother and a younger sister. Richards is of American descent through his grandfather, whom he has never met personally. Growing up, Richards wanted to be a pilot but his mother urged him to acting instead. He holds the titles Ginoong Sta Rosa 2009 and Ginoong Laguna 2010 and he also tried to be in the reality television shows StarStruck and Pinoy Big Brother, Teen Clash of 2010 but both auditions failed. He also appeared on a commercial for a multivitamins product. He studied high school at Paco Catholic School in Paco, Manila and he studied but failed to finish a business administration degree at De La Salle Canlubang in Biñan City, Laguna. After doing modelling stints, Richards auditioned for a role on the GMA Networks afternoon soap
4. Piolo Pascual – Piolo Jose Nonato Pascual is a Filipino film and television actor, musician, model, and producer. Piolo Pascual, born at 8,46 PM on January 12,1977 at Ospital ng Maynila Medical Center in Malate, Manila, is the youngest son of Amelia Amy Nonato Pascual and Philip Victoriano Pascual. While growing up, Pascual enjoyed a close bond with his siblings—Chiqui, Paulette, Pam, Choi, and Patricia—despite their own fathers early death. His father was a director for international films that are shot in the Philippines, though Pascual cant recall if it affected his ambition on becoming an actor. He lived a life, he went to school and spent time on outings. Pascual attended elementary and high school at St. Francis School in Santa Ana, when he was in 5th Grade, Piolo joined the school theater group, Teatro Ni Kiko, where he was introduced to the world of theater and acting. While he was in third year high school, Pascual started appearing in Thats Entertainment and he eventually left Thats Entertainment, however, to get into college full-time, studying at the University of Santo Tomas, where he studied AB General Education. He later shifted to Physical Therapy in preparation for his immigration to the U. S. Around 1996, however, Piolo had to put his studies and they lived in Los Angeles, where he worked as an ER representative in a hospital where his mother worked. When Pascual turned 21, he decided to return to Manila in order to pursue his career once again. In 1994, Pascual started his career in Thats Entertainment, then he appeared in some TV shows including Mara Clara, and Gimik. His loveteam with Judy Ann Santos became phenomenal in early 2000s and their four movies, Kahit Isang Saglit, Bakit Di Totohanin, Till There Was You, and Dont Give Up on Us, earned more than P100 million in the box office. His movie with Claudine Barretto, Milan, became his top-grossing film up to date, in 2002, Pascual played the role of Jules in the award-winning film, Dekada 70. In 2003, Pascual ventured into music with his debut album Piolo which went platinum and his second album My Gift hit Platinum status as well. His 5th solo album Timeless hit Triple Platinum status, Pascual is a member of ABS-CBNs Star Magic. He celebrated his 10th year anniversary in 2007 with a coffee table book, a solo album. In 2008, he starred in a fantasy TV series Lobo together with Angel Locsin, the show gained accolades from Banff World Media Festival and International Emmy Awards. In 2009, Pascual became a producer for Manila, an independent twinbill film under Bicycle Pictures
5. Sarah Geronimo – Sarah Asher Tua Geronimo is a Filipino singer, songwriter, record producer, dancer, actress and television personality. Widely known as the Popstar Royalty, her contributions to music along with her film, born and raised in Santa Cruz, Manila, Geronimo started a career in music at the age of 14 after winning the television singing contest Star for a Night. The album became a record and won two Awit Awards. Her music was categorized as pop until the release of her tenth studio album Expressions. Subsequently, she was nominated for the awards in the 27th Awit Awards including Album of the Year. Following a crossover success, Geronimo continued on the musical form. Geronimo began working with television network ABS-CBN in 2004 and she appeared in projects such as ASAP, Bituing Walang Ningning and Sarah G. Live. She was also a coach in The Voice of the Philippines, Geronimo then ventured into mainstream cinema and is best known for playing the lead role in the films, A Very Special Love, You Changed My Life and It Takes a Man and a Woman. All of which are in the list of highest-grossing films in the Philippines that earned her three Box-office Queen titles from GMMSF Box-Office Entertainment Awards and she also received two nominations of FAMAS Award for Best Actress for these films respectively. Geronimo has a collective box-office receipt of over PHP1 billion, in 2015, FAMAS named her as one of the six Iconic Movie Queens of Philippine Cinema. Throughout her career, Geronimo has received 12 Awit Awards,8 Aliw Awards,26 Myx Music Awards, Geronimo is pop musics best-selling artist of all time in the Philippines, having sold more than 1 million albums. She was inducted into the Anak TV Hall of Fame in 2013 for being worthy of emulation by children. Sarah Asher Tua Geronimo was born on July 25,1988 in Santa Cruz, Manila, Philippines to Delfin Geronimo, a retired PLDT employee, and Divina Tua Geronimo and she is the third of four children. She started singing publicly at age two, at the age of four, she was accompanied by her mother to join auditions for different television programs. Geronimo became part of the shows Penpen De Sarapen, Ang TV and she has also played as an extra in the movie Sarah. In between auditions, Geronimo would perform at shopping malls and hotel lounges, Geronimo, then age 7, was one of the performers during the 1995 visit of Pope John Paul II. Geronimo at an early age joined different singing contests the first of which was Tuklas Talino sponsored by the Philippine Long Distance Telephone Company, in 2002, Geronimo competed on the television singing contest Star for a Night aired in IBC. At the age of fourteen, she won the prize that included PHP1 million