Category:Films based on theme-park attractions
Pages in category "Films based on theme-park attractions"
The following 7 pages are in this category, out of 7 total. This list may not reflect recent changes (learn more).
The following 7 pages are in this category, out of 7 total. This list may not reflect recent changes (learn more).
1. The Country Bears – The Country Bears is a 2002 American family musical comedy film, directed by Peter Hastings, produced by Walt Disney Pictures, and based on the Disney theme park attraction Country Bear Jamboree. The film stars Haley Joel Osment as the voice of Beary Barrington with supporting roles done by Christopher Walken, Stephen Tobolowsky, Daryl Mitchell, M. C. Gainey, Diedrich Bader, Alex Rocco, Meagen Fay, Eli Marienthal, and the talents of Diedrich Bader, Candy Ford, James Gammon, Brad Garrett, Toby Huss, Kevin Michael Richardson. It was released July 26,2002, the Country Bears are an all-bear country rock band who have broken up in 1991 after years of popularity. Number one fan Beary Barrington, a young bear raised by a human family and his father tells him that his family will love him no matter what, and that differences lead everyone to their purposes. But Bearys older brother Dex gives him the truth about his background, angry and embarrassed, Beary leaves home and sets out for Country Bear Hall, the former concert hall of the Country Bears. Beary learns from the property caretaker Big Al and the bands manager Henry Dixen Taylor that Country Bear Hall is threatened with destruction by greedy banker Reed Thimple, meanwhile, the Barringtons have enlisted police officers named Officer Cheets and Officer Hamm to find Beary. First, they approach Fred Bedderhead, the harmonica and electric bass player, Fred is working as a security guard on the set of Krystals latest music video and agrees to return for the concert. Henry needs promotion and Beary suggests the former promoter Rip Holland whom Henry claimed had stolen the Country Bears from him. Henry calls up Rip who gladly agrees to promote the show, after the call, it is shown that Rip was in an office display of a store as he is told to leave. Fred brings up a talent show history where they defeated an armpit musician named Benny Boggswaggle in a talent competition which caused Benny to hit Zeb Zoober on the head with a chair. Meanwhile, Big Al is approached by Reed who learns about the Country Bears plan, when Big Al realizes that he is talking to Reed, he has Reed look in one direction. By the time Reed looks back, Big Al is on the steps of Country Bear Hall stating Im chubby, Reed then moves on to his next plan. Next, they approach the bands fiddler Zeb Zoober, who has spent all his years drinking honey at the Swarming Hive Honey Bar restaurant, Zeb wants to return, but cant without paying his debt. Beary places a bet to get Zeb off the hook by beating the house band in a playoff, Zeb starts off rusty, but warms up and wins. Meanwhile, Officer Cheets and Officer Hamm approach Big Al for directions to where Beary went, because Big Al does not mention that Beary is friends with them and has joined them, the officers think that the bears have kidnapped Beary. Then, they approach Tennessee ONeal, the guitar player, who is reluctant because he wants nothing more than to make up with his ex-girlfriend Trixie St. Claire. At a restaurant, the Country Bears meet a waitress who is working to become a singer as she sings her upbeat version of Kick It Into Gear
2. The Haunted Mansion (film) – The Haunted Mansion is a 2003 American fantasy comedy horror film based on the Disney theme park attraction of the same name. Directed by Rob Minkoff, the film is written by David Berenbaum and stars Eddie Murphy, Terence Stamp, Nathaniel Parker, Marsha Thomason, and Jennifer Tilly. The film grossed $182.3 million worldwide on a $90 million budget and received reviews from critics, citing lack of scares. Jim Evers is a realtor whose continuous pursuit for new deals leaves very little time with his family. He misses his wedding anniversary with his wife Sara, but to make amends, beforehand, Sara is contacted by the occupants of Gracey Manor, located in the Louisiana bayou. Eager to make a deal, Jim drags Sara and his children, impatient Megan and they meet its owner Edward Gracey, his stern butler Ramsley, and other staff members Emma and Ezra. When a storm floods the river, Gracey allows the Evers family to stay the night, though everyone is safe. Ramsley takes Jim down to the library to have a talk with Gracey. Megan and Michael encounter a spectral orb and follow it up to the attic, there they converse with Emma and Ezra, the former identifying the woman as Elizabeth. Jim meets Madame Leota, a womans ghost whose head is encased in a crystal ball. Jim runs into his children, Emma and Ezra, and returns to Madame Leota for answers about Elizabeths likeness to Sara, Madame Leota sends the Evers off to the mansions expansive cemetery to find a key that will reveal the truth behind Elizabeths unusual death. Jim and Megan venture into a crypt where they find the key and they escape with help from Michael, who overcomes his arachnophobia. Ramsley suddenly appears, revealing he murdered Elizabeth to prevent Gracey from abandoning his heritage, to hide the truth, he traps the children in a trunk and throws Jim out of the house, enchanting the house so Jim cannot break in and stop him. As Gracey and Sara rendezvous in the ballroom, the former asks Sara if she can recognize him which confuses her, desperate, he insists to Sara that she is his beloved Elizabeth. The room fills with dancing ghosts of the past which causes Sara to flee, as she runs up the stairs, Gracey reveals his true ghost-self to Sara begging her to understand and that they can finally be together. She shouts that she is not Elizabeth, Gracey begins to have second thoughts. But Ramsley insists that it is her and in time she will remember, Ramsley tells Sara to get ready for her wedding to Gracey. Sara refuses but Ramsley blackmails her into marrying Gracey in return for her childrens safety, Gracey confronts Ramsley, who rages at his masters apparent selfishness for loving Elizabeth, and summons wraiths to kill the group for revenge
3. Jungle Cruise – The Jungle Cruise is an attraction located in Adventureland at many Disney Parks, including Disneyland, Magic Kingdom, and Tokyo Disneyland. At Hong Kong Disneyland, the attraction is named Jungle River Cruise, Disneyland Paris and Shanghai Disneyland are the only Magic Kingdom-style Disney parks that do not have the Jungle Cruise in their attraction rosters. The attraction simulates a riverboat cruise down several major rivers of Asia, Africa, park guests board replica tramp steamers from a 1930s British explorers lodge and are taken on a voyage past many different Audio-Animatronic jungle animals. The tour is led by a live Disney Cast Member delivering a humorous narration and this narration is based on a written and practiced script, but generally is largely delivered ad-lib. Sources of inspiration for the attraction include a 1955 True-Life Adventure, The African Lion, about a pride of lions, imagineer Harper Goff referenced the African Queen frequently in his ideas, even his designs of the ride vehicles were inspired by the steamer used in the film. The project was placed on the schedule to open with the July 17,1955 debut of Disneyland, aside from importing many actual tropical plants, he made wide use of character plants which, while not necessarily exotic, could give the appearance of exoticism in context. In a particularly well-known trick, he uprooted local orange trees and replanted them upside-down, initially, the clean water was dyed brown but after a few years the colorant was changed to a green hue and in recent years a bluish-green has been used. The waters journey continues flowing past Frontierlands entrance and into Adventureland where it alongside the Tiki Room before entering the Jungle Cruise beside the rides exit. The water returns to the end of the Rivers of America via a 37 diameter underground pipe near Tarzans Treehouse. Originally, the Jungle Cruise waterway was 1,920 feet in length before being shortened and re-routed in 1994. The Indian Elephant Bathing Pool and Rhinoceros Chasing Explorers up a Pole were among his contributions. The story claims that Walt overheard a mother visiting Disneyland telling her child that since they had been on the ride the last time they visited the park, in horror, he put his Imagineers to work designing upgrades to the ride. Many similar variations of this story exist, the attraction was in the opening day roster of the park, and has remained open and largely unchanged in theme and story since then. The original plan was to use real animals, but the animals would have been sleeping during the day, aside from alterations and maintenance changes, four completely new show scenes have been added to date. In 1994 the river channel was rerouted to make way for the queue buildings, until 1962, the original spiel had no jokes and sounded much like the narration of a nature documentary. The queue and station are themed as the headquarters and boathouse of the Jungle Navigation Company, the extended queue winds upstairs, underneath an Audio-Animatronic hornbill, and then downstairs again. Big band music from the 1940s plays overhead, punctuated by jungle-related news bulletins, helping to reinforce the setting and threading together the show scenes, once aboard the boats, guests are introduced to their skipper and they head into the jungle, allegedly never to return. The first rivers simulated are the Irrawaddy and Mekong rivers, representing tropical Southeast Asia, the boats sail through a dense rainforest inhabited by large butterflies and a pair of toucans, before passing by the Temple of the Forbidden Eye and a shrine to the Hindu monkey deity Hanuman
4. Mission to Mars – Mission to Mars is a 2000 science fiction film directed by Brian De Palma from an original screenplay written by Jim Thomas, John Thomas, and Graham Yost. In 2020, a manned Mars exploration mission goes awry, american astronaut Jim McConnell coordinates a rescue mission for a colleague. Principal support actors were Tim Robbins, Don Cheadle, Connie Nielsen, Jerry OConnell, in 2020, the Mars I spacecraft to planet Mars, is commanded by Luke Graham with fellow astronauts Nicholas Willis, Sergei Kirov, and Renée Coté. Upon arrival, the team discovers a crystalline formation in the Cydonia region, when they scan the formation with radar, a large vortex kills everyone except Luke. After the vortex subsides, the formation is revealed to be part of a humanoid face. As the ship enters Mars orbit, micrometeoroids breach the hull, during repair, the external fuel tanks are overlooked, causing a leak and later explosion. The crew abandon ship to get to the REMO orbiting Mars, tethered to the others, Woody launches himself at the module, but although he attaches a line to get the others to the module, he is unable to properly land on it. Terri tries to rescue Woody, who is her husband, but, knowing she would run out of fuel before reaching him, Woody removes his helmet, killing himself to save her. Jim determines they must complete the sequence to pass a test, an invitation is offered for one astronaut to follow the Martians to their new home
5. Pirates of the Caribbean (film series) – Pirates of the Caribbean is a series of fantasy swashbuckler films produced by Jerry Bruckheimer and based on Walt Disneys theme park ride of the same name. Directors of the series include Gore Verbinski, Rob Marshall, and Joachim Rønning, the series was most notably written by Ted Elliott and Terry Rossio, other writers include Stuart Beattie, Jay Wolpert, and Jeff Nathanson. The stories followed the adventures of Captain Jack Sparrow, Will Turner, characters such as Hector Barbossa and Joshamee Gibbs follow Jack, Will, and Elizabeth in the course of the films. The fourth film featured Philip Swift and Syrena, while the film will feature Henry Turner. The films take place in a historical setting, a world ruled by the British Empire, the East India Company. After the first films success, Walt Disney Pictures revealed that a trilogy was in the works, the franchises second film, subtitled Dead Mans Chest, was released three years later in 2006, the sequel proved successful, breaking financial records worldwide the day of its premiere. Dead Mans Chest ended up being the one film of the year upon earning almost $1.1 billion at the worldwide box office. The third film in the series, subtitled At Worlds End, followed in 2007, on Stranger Tides succeeded in also grossing more than $1 billion, becoming the second film in the franchise and only the eighth film in history to achieve this. A fifth film, subtitled Dead Men Tell No Tales, is set to be released on May 26,2017. Blacksmith Will Turner teams up with eccentric pirate Captain Jack Sparrow to save Turners love, Elizabeth Swann, from cursed pirates led by Jacks mutinous former first mate, Captain Barbossa. Jack wants revenge against Barbossa, who left him stranded on an island before stealing his ship, lord Cutler Beckett of the East India Trading Company arrests Will and Elizabeth for aiding Captain Jack Sparrow in the previous film. Lord Beckett gains power over Davy Jones and, with the help of the Flying Dutchman, to stand against the East India Trading Co. Will, Elizabeth, Barbossa, and the crew of the Black Pearl set out to rescue Captain Jack Sparrow from Davy Jones Locker, as one of the Nine Pirate Lords, Jack is needed in order to summon an ancient goddess with the power to defeat Becketts forces. Captain Jack Sparrow is on a quest to find the fabled Fountain of Youth and crosses paths with a former lover and she forces Jack aboard the Queen Annes Revenge, a ship captained by the infamous pirate Blackbeard, Angelicas father. Both are also in search of the Fountain, Angelica to save her fathers soul, joining the hunt is former pirate captain Barbossa, now a privateer in King George IIs Navy, who is in a race against the Spanish for the Fountain of Youth. Captain Jacks only hope of survival lies in seeking out the legendary Trident of Poseidon, with the release of the official trailer of Dead Men Tell No Tales, it was suggested that Dead Men will be the last film in the franchise. However, on March 4,2017, director Joachim Rønning stated that Dead Men was only the beginning of the final adventure, wenches Scarlett and Giselle fix each other up for their wedding, in which they would each marry their groom. Upon realizing that both their grooms were the same man – Jack Sparrow – the two find themselves in an auction led by the Auctioneer
6. Tomorrowland (film) – Tomorrowland is a 2015 American science-fiction mystery adventure film directed and co-written by Brad Bird. Bird co-wrote the films screenplay with Damon Lindelof, from a story treatment by Bird, Lindelof. The film stars George Clooney, Hugh Laurie, Britt Robertson, Raffey Cassidy, Tim McGraw, Kathryn Hahn and Keegan-Michael Key. Walt Disney Pictures originally announced the film in June 2011 under the working title 1952, principal photography began in August 2013, with footage shot in British Columbia, Alberta, Florida, and Spain with second unit filming in France, California and the Bahamas. Tomorrowland was released in conventional and IMAX formats on May 22,2015, the film grossed $209 million worldwide. An adult Frank Walker and Casey Newton relate to the audience their experiences, in the flashback, he meets David Nix, an official who is unimpressed with Franks prototype jet pack. Frank does draw the attention of a girl named Athena. Seeing his potential, Athena gives Frank a pin embossed with a T symbol, Frank sneaks onto the ride, where his pin is scanned and he is transported into a futuristic cityscape known as Tomorrowland. He falls from a ledge, but straps on his jet pack in mid air and lands safely before Nix, the narration then shifts to the present, where Casey Newton sneaks into a decommissioned NASA launch pad in Cape Canaveral, where her father Eddie is an engineer. The next night, Casey attempts to break into the NASA compound again, at the police station, she sees the pin among her personal items, and discovers that upon contact, the pin instantly shows her a view of Tomorrowland that only she can see. She briefly explores the vision until the battery runs out. Assisted by her brother Nate, Casey finds a Houston memorabilia store related to the pin, upon meeting the two owners, Hugo and Ursula, Casey is questioned about it, and when she says she knows nothing else about it, they attack her. Athena bursts in and fights Hugo and Ursula, who are revealed to be robots. The two girls escape as the robots self-destruct, destroying the store, after stealing a car, Athena reveals that she is an Audio-Animatronic robot, and the one who gave Casey the pin, revealing that she needs her help to save the world. Athena drives Casey to Franks home in Pittsfield, New York, the reclusive Frank declines Caseys request for an audience, but she manages to lure him out of the house and sneak in, locking him out. Frank re-enters through a tunnel and tells her angrily that he was thrown out of Tomorrowland. He also asks if she would like to know the moment of her death. When she says this, a showing the probability of the end of the world changes its reading from 100% to 99. 9994%
7. Tower of Terror (film) – For the 1941 film, see Tower of Terror. Also not to be confused with A Night in Terror Tower, Tower of Terror is a 1997 made-for-TV supernatural thriller directed by D. J. MacHale. It is also Disneys first film based on an attraction at one of its parks. Unlike the theme park ride, the film has no connection to any incarnation of The Twilight Zone, much of the film was shot at the actual attraction at Disney-MGM Studios. The rest was filmed on a stage in Hollywood, California. Buzzy Crocker is a journalist who was fired from the Los Angeles Banner for publishing a story which turned out to be fake. He now writes for a tabloid, The National Inquisitor. Buzzy is close friends with his young niece Anna, Buzzy however reads in a book of spells that the curse can be reversed by its opposite. Abigail also explains that items belonging to the passengers must be found, Buzzy and Anna enlist the help of Chris Q Todd, the grandson of Dewey, the bellhop. Q is reluctant, but he decides to help his deceased grandfather, entering the hotel Buzzy and Anna meet an actress named Claire Poulet, they had ordered an actress, so Buzzy can take fake pictures of the ghosts for the supermarket tabloid. Buzzy vainly tries to develop a relationship with Claire, to which the latter expresses her feelings. Fearing an intrusion, some of the ghosts appear and attempt to frighten off Buzzy and Anna, finally the ghost of Carolyn appears. It is immediately apparent that she is the same Claire Poulet that Buzzy already talked to, Anna accuses Emeline, the nanny, of cursing the other guests. Shocked and dismayed at being put to blame, Emeline states her innocence and it is then revealed that the old lady Abigail is the sister of the child star Sally. Abigail was jealous of her younger sisters talents, although Halloween was Abigails birthday, no one seemed to have remembered, no presents, no party. Abigail was the one who cursed her sister Sally, Abigail has been in a sanitarium every since, but is allowed out on day release. Buzzy realizes that finding the effects of the other guests. Buzzys old co-worker and ex-girlfriend Jill has joined the group and they rush back to the hotel, but they are too late