Category:Films produced by Denise Di Novi
Pages in category "Films produced by Denise Di Novi"
The following 31 pages are in this category, out of 31 total. This list may not reflect recent changes (learn more).
The following 31 pages are in this category, out of 31 total. This list may not reflect recent changes (learn more).
1. Almost Heroes – Almost Heroes is a 1998 American adventure comedy film directed by Christopher Guest, narrated by Guests friend and frequent collaborator Harry Shearer, and starring Chris Farley and Matthew Perry. This was Farleys last leading role and was released following his death in 1997. To aid in his journey, he hires the services of a supposedly knowledgeable wilderness-man and tracker, Hunt, who, once they get underway, turns out to be less than advertised. Along the way, Edward and Hunts shared journey helps Edwards shed his aristocratic, snooty ways and he learns camaraderie and honor, Hunt finds true friendship in Edwards and a sense of self-confidence he had not known before. After many hardships and setbacks, they make it to the Pacific coast just minutes before Lewis. The script was written under the title Edwards & Hunt, because the screenwriters shared the same agent - Rob Carlson - as Steve Oedekerk, known at the time for his success writing for Jim Carrey, Oedekerk was able to help the script circulate. It became a hot script and was purchased by Turner Pictures. Chris Farley was the first actor to be cast, the writers originally wanted to offer the role of Leslie Edwards to Hugh Laurie, who at that point was a star only in the United Kingdom, but Turner executives wished for a more recognizable actor. The role was turned down by Hugh Grant and Bill Murray before Matthew Perry accepted the part, the movie was shot with a $30 million dollar budget. Feeling that the humor of the story was in putting the goofball protagonists against a historical backdrop. Four weeks were spent shooting in the Big Bear region of Northern California, a town representing St. Louis circa 1804 was constructed in Redding near Mount Shasta, and an Indian village set was built downriver. Heat posed a challenge for the summer shoot, with actors wearing furs in temperatures over one hundred degrees. Filming was completed in the fall of 1996 with a 1997 release target, however, the film was delayed a full year due to the pending merger between Turner and Time Warner. By the time the film was released in May 1998, Chris Farley had been nearly six months. Writer Tom Wolfe stated that the script was intended to be more of a piece than the buddy comedy the studio saw it as. Farleys assistant, Ted Dondanville, stated that in post production, cuts were made around the star and he felt that the lost material would have ironically helped Farleys performance. They cut the scenes first, Matthew Perrys second. A scene featuring Edwards sweetheart, played by Parker Posey, was cut, the re-shot ending did not include Bokeem Woodbine, resulting in his character Jonah disappearing after the fight against the conquistadors
2. Batman Returns – Batman Returns is a 1992 American superhero film, directed and produced by Tim Burton, based on the DC Comics character Batman. It is the installment of Warner Bros. initial Batman film series. The film introduces the characters of Max Shreck, a business tycoon who teams up with the Penguin to take over Gotham City. Burton originally did not want to direct another Batman film because of his mixed emotions toward the film in 1989. Warner Bros. developed a script with writer Sam Hamm which had the Penguin, Burton agreed to return after they granted him more creative control and replaced Hamm with Daniel Waters. Wesley Strick did a rewrite, removing the characters of Harvey Dent and Robin. Annette Bening was originally cast as Catwoman but became pregnant and was replaced with Pfeiffer, filming for Batman Returns started in June 1991 at Warner Bros. Batman Returns was released on June 19,1992, the film was nominated for Academy Awards for Best Visual Effects and Best Makeup, as well as two BAFTA awards. Batman Returnss budget was $80 million and it grossed $266.8 million worldwide, on a snowy Christmas night, Tucker and Esther Cobblepot throw their deformed infant child Oswald into Gotham River, fearing he would become a menace to society after attacking their pet cat. His crib floats to a zoo and is found by a flock of penguins who raise him as one of their own. 33 years later, three years after the defeat of the Joker, during the lighting of Gotham Citys Christmas tree, a former sideshow freak, Cobblepot explains his desire to become a respected citizen of Gotham and blackmails Shreck into helping him. Meanwhile, Shrecks secretary, Selina Kyle, inadvertently discovers her bosss plan to illegally monopolize Gothams supply of electricity, to protect his secrets, Shreck pushes her out of his office window. Falling through several canopies, Kyle miraculously survives but lies unconscious in an alley, a group of cats swarm around her and she suddenly regains consciousness. Shreck arranges for one of Cobblepots men to kidnap the Mayors infant son, as a reward, Cobblepot is given access to the Gotham City Archives, where he learns his real name, and that he is the last surviving member of his family. Meanwhile, the Mayor, persuaded by Wayne, refuses to give Shreck a construction permit for his power plant, Cobblepot orders his gang to attack downtown Gotham, ruining the Mayors reputation and giving Shreck the opportunity to propose Cobblepot as a replacement. Batman confronts Cobblepot, but Catwoman appears while firebombing Shrecks department store, after a fight in which Batman knocks her off a building, Catwoman survives by landing in a truck full of kitty litter. While traversing the rooftops to find the Ice Princess, Penguins goons disassemble the Batmobile, distracted by Catwoman, Batman is unable to stop Cobblepot from attacking the Princess using a swarm of captive bats. She falls to her death before Batman tries to save her, when Catwoman rejects Cobblepots amorous advances, he responds by attacking her with his motorized helicopter umbrella
3. The Best of Me (film) – The Best of Me is a 2014 American romantic drama film directed by Michael Hoffman and written by Will Fetters and J. Mills Goodloe, based on Nicholas Sparks 2011 novel of the same name. The film stars James Marsden and Michelle Monaghan with Luke Bracey, shooting began on March 6,2014 in New Orleans. The film was released on October 17,2014 by Relativity Media, previews in selected test markets were shown on October 15. Dawson Cole works on an oil rig off the coast of Louisiana, one day, an explosion on the job nearly kills him, throwing him into the water, but miraculously, he survives. When he arrives at his house, Dawson is surprised to find that Tuck also arranged for Dawsons high school girlfriend, Amanda Collier and it seems that Tucks intention was that Dawson and Amanda would perhaps rekindle their former romance. However, Amanda is now married to Frank Reynolds, Dawson was born into a notorious backwoods criminal family with an abusive father. In flashbacks, it is revealed that as a teenager, he left his fathers home, Tuck, a local mechanic who had recently lost his wife, allows Dawson to live with him and eventually considers him a son of his own. Dawson and Amanda attended the high school and began dating. Before the prom, Dawsons father and brothers beat Tuck, Dawson, angered, goes to his fathers house with the intent of killing him with Tucks rifle. However, they scuffle, and Dawsons cousin, an expectant teen father, is accidentally killed, in exchange for a lighter sentence, Dawson testifies against his father and brothers. However, since Dawson will not be paroled for another four years, he ties with Amanda. After Tucks death, Amanda and Dawson meet with Tucks lawyer, later, Dawson and Amanda spend a passionate night together. They have lunch and discuss their plans, during which Amanda learns that Dawson knew she had continued to try to visit him in prison, the following day, Amanda decides to return to her family and her strained marriage, to meet her family commitments. When Amanda goes home, Dawson remains at Tucks to restore the garden, however, she later plans to split up with her husband, and she leaves Dawson a voicemail expressing her love. After she left the voicemail, she receives a call from which she learns that her son needs a heart transplant, having lost her daughter already, she feels miserable on hearing this news. Soon her son gets a heart transplant surgery donor, the next morning when she wakes up, she sees Dawson sitting by her side watching her sleep, though he was not actually there. She is informed that Dawson was shot and killed by his father, one year later, she receives a call from her son, who finds out that the name of the donor whose heart he received was Dawson Cole. She walks in the garden, which has been restored by Dawson, in an alternate ending on the DVD, Amanda leaves her husband and she and Dawson get together and enjoy walking through Tucks garden and the end credits roll
4. Cabin Boy – Cabin Boy is a 1994 fantasy comedy film directed by Adam Resnick and co-produced by Tim Burton, which starred comedian Chris Elliott. Elliott co-wrote the film with Resnick, both Elliott and Resnick worked for Late Night with David Letterman in the 1980s, as well as co-creating the short-lived FOX sitcom Get a Life in the early 1990s. The project was originally to be directed by Tim Burton, who had contacted Chris Elliott after seeing Get a Life, Resnick took over after Burton was offered the film Ed Wood. Nathaniel Mayweather is a snobbish, self-centered, virginal man, after graduation, he is invited by his father to sail to Hawaii aboard the Queen Catherine. After annoying the limo driver who is taking him to board the boat, Nathaniel makes a wrong turn into a small fishing village where he meets the imbecilic cabin boy/first mate Kenny. He thinks the ship, The Filthy Whore, is a theme boat and it is not until the next morning that Captain Greybar finds Nathaniel in his room and explains that the boat will not return to dry land for three months. Nathaniel unsuccessfully tries to convince each fisherman to set sail to Hawaii, however, the crew reaches Hells Bucket, a Bermuda Triangle-like area where weird events occur. The ship is caught in a storm and Kenny is knocked overboard. Without a cabin boy, Greybar forces Nathaniel to do the chores in return for taking him to Hawaii, and with only one island in the entire area, the crew decides to sail there to fix up the boat. The fishermen decide to give Nathaniel another chore that involves dragging him on a raft for a week. Nathaniel has little to eat or drink, begins consuming salt water and he also realizes he might be going insane after sighting Kennys ghost and seeing a floating cupcake that spits tobacco. After falling into the water he is saved by a shark-man, after nine days, Nathaniel is pulled back in and tells what happened. Nathaniel spots a young woman named Trina swimming in the ocean. After she is pulled up in a net, Nathaniel becomes smitten with her, not pleased with another passenger on board, the fishermen decide to strand Trina and Nathaniel on the island theyre sailing toward. Finally reaching the island, the searches for components to fix their boat. Nathaniel tries to get closer to Trina, who rejects him. Greybar and Skunk suggest to Nathaniel that a woman named Calli can help build his confidence, after an encounter with blue-skinned, six-armed Calli that results in his first sexual experience, Nathaniel again meets Trina, who becomes attracted to him immediately. Callis husband Mulligan, a giant, comes home to find a mans bag, realizing what Calli has done, Mulligan decides to find her lover and kill him
5. Catwoman (film) – It stars Halle Berry, Sharon Stone, Benjamin Bratt, Lambert Wilson, Frances Conroy, and Alex Borstein. Although Catwoman is traditionally an anti-heroine and love interest of the vigilante hero Batman, in Catwoman, the meek designer Patience Phillips discovers a dark conspiracy within the cosmetics company she works for, involving a dangerous product which can cause total human extinction. Catwoman was released in theatres on July 19,2004, by Warner Bros and this film received seven Golden Raspberry nominations and won in the categories of Worst Picture, Worst Actress, Worst Director, and Worst Screenplay. Many considered it to be one of the worst movies of all time, the film grossed $82 million on a $100 million production budget. Artist and graphics designer Patience Phillips is a meek people-pleaser whose main support is her best friend Sally and she works for a cosmetics company called Hedare Beauty, which is ready to ship a new skin cream, called Beau-line, that is able to reverse the effects of ageing. Laurels guards discover Patience and are ordered to dispose of her, Patience tries to escape using a conduit pipe, but the minions have it sealed and flush her out of it, drowning her. From Maus owner, eccentric researcher Ophelia Powers, Patience learns that Egyptian Mau cats serve as messengers of the goddess Bast, Patience realizes that she is now a catwoman, reborn with abilities that are both a blessing and a curse. Disguised as Catwoman to hide her identity, Patience, under cover of darkness, searches for answers as to who killed her, eventually, her search leads her to Laurel. She asks Laurel to keep an eye on George, to which Laurel agrees, however, when Patience confronts George, he reveals he knows nothing about the side effects. The police, led by Patiences love interest Detective Tom Lone, arrive, later on, Laurel murders her husband for his infidelity, and admits to having Dr. Slavicky killed because he wanted to cancel the products release. She contacts Catwoman and frames her for the murder and she also plans to release the Beau-line the following day. Patience slips out of her cell, and confronts Laurel in her office. During the fight, she scratches Laurels face, and Laurel falls out of a window, Laurel sees her face in a windows reflection and, horrified by her skins rapid disintegration, fails to grab hold of Patiences outstretched arm and falls to her death. Missy Peregrym appears uncredited as the Hedare factory computer monitor image, a photograph of Michelle Pfeiffer as Catwoman in Batman Returns can be seen among the pictures that Ophelia shows to Patience. With Warner Bros. moving on development for Batman Forever in June 1993, Michelle Pfeiffer was set to reprise her role from Batman Returns. Tim Burton became attached as director, while producer Denise Di Novi, in January 1994, Burton was unsure of his plans to direct Catwoman or an adaptation of The Fall of the House of Usher. On June 16,1995, Waters turned in his Catwoman script to Warner Bros. the same day Batman Forever was released, Burton was still being courted to direct. Waters joked, turning it in the day Batman Forever opened may not have been my best logistical move, Catwoman is definitely not a fun-for-the-whole-family script
6. Crazy, Stupid, Love – The film follows a recently divorced man who seeks to rediscover his manhood and is taught how to pick up women at bars. It was released in the United States and Canada by Warner Bros, pictures on July 29,2011, grossing over $142 million against its $50 million budget. Gosling received a Golden Globe Award nomination for Best Actor – Motion Picture Musical or Comedy for his performance, Cal Weaver is a middle-aged man who learns that his wife Emily has cheated on him with a co-worker, David Lindhagen, and that she wants a divorce. Jacob takes pity on Cal, and offers to him how to pick up women. Using Jacobs teachings, Cal seduces Kate at the bar, after this encounter, Cal manages to successfully seduce other women in the bar. He sees Emily again at their son Robbies parent-teacher conference, the interaction goes well until they discover that Robbies teacher is Kate, who reveals to Emily that she and Cal have slept together. Cal then confesses to sleeping with nine women, Emily leaves in disgust and begins actively dating David. Offended and hurt, Hannah returns to the bar where she originally rejected Jacobs advances and kisses Jacob passionately, the two return to Jacobs home to have sex, but end up talking to each other all night and making a connection. Jacob starts a relationship with Hannah, and he becomes distant from Cal, at the same time, Robbie makes numerous grand gestures to try to win the heart of his 17-year-old babysitter, Jessica Riley, who actually has a crush on Cal. On the advice of her classmate Madison, she takes naked photos of herself to send to Cal, later, when Emily calls Cal under the guise of needing help with the houses pilot light, Cal decides to try and win her back. Meanwhile, Jacob returns Cals calls and asks for advice about starting a real relationship, Jessicas mother, Claire, who dislikes Cal, discovers Jessicas naked photos in the dresser drawer and shows them to Jessicas father, Bernie. Bernie was Cals best friend before Claire made him end their friendship in the aftermath of the breakup, Bernie rushes to the Weaver residence to confront him about the photos, with Jessica in pursuit. Cal and his kids create a mini golf set in their backyard to remind Emily of their first date. During the gathering, Jacob and Hannah show up at the house, Cal is appalled that Jacob is dating his daughter, and forbids her to see him. At that moment, Bernie shows up and attacks Cal, Jessica arrives and tells her father that Cal knew nothing of the pictures. Then David arrives on the scene to return Emilys sweater from a previous date, Cal starts spending time at the bar again and receives a visit from Jacob, who confesses that he is in love with Hannah. Cal replies that he is happy that Jacob is a man but does not approve of Jacob and Hannahs relationship. Jacob does not harbor any ill feelings, rather, he respects Cal, at Robbies eighth grade graduation, Robbie is the salutatorian and gives a pessimistic speech about how he no longer believes in true love and soul-mates
7. Ed Wood (film) – Ed Wood is a 1994 American biographical period comedy-drama film directed and produced by Tim Burton, and starring Johnny Depp as cult filmmaker Ed Wood. The film concerns the period in Woods life when he made his films as well as his relationship with actor Bela Lugosi. Sarah Jessica Parker, Patricia Arquette, Jeffrey Jones, Lisa Marie, the film was conceived by writers Scott Alexander and Larry Karaszewski when they were students at the USC School of Cinematic Arts. Due to scheduling conflicts with Airheads, Lehmann had to vacate the directors position, Ed Wood was originally in development at Columbia Pictures, but the studio put the film in turnaround over Burtons decision to shoot in black-and-white. Ed Wood was taken to the Walt Disney Studios, which produced the film through the studios Touchstone Pictures division, the film was released to critical acclaim, but was a box office bomb, making only $5.9 million against an $18 million budget. It won two Academy Awards, Best Supporting Actor for Landau and Best Makeup for Rick Baker, Ve Neill, in 1952, Ed Wood is struggling to join the film industry. Upon hearing of an announcement in Variety magazine that producer George Weiss is trying to purchase Christine Jorgensens life story, Weiss explains that Varietys announcement was a news leak, and it is impossible to purchase Jorgensens rights. The producer decides to fictionalize the film, titled I Changed My Sex, Ed tries to convince Weiss that he is perfect to direct the film because he is a transvestite, but is unsuccessful since Weiss wants a director with experience. Ed meets his longtime idol Bela Lugosi and the two become friends, wanting to restart his fading career, Lugosi expresses interest in being part of the film. Wood persuades Weiss to let him direct the film by convincing him that having a star in the film would sell tickets, and they could sign Bela for a low price. Ed and Weiss argue over the title and subject matter, Weiss has the poster printed. Weiss allows Ed to shoot whatever he wants as long as the film meets the required length, Ed takes to film production with an unusual approach, shooting only one take per scene, giving actors very little direction and using stock footage to fill in gaps. The movie is released to critical and commercial failure, angering Weiss, because of this, Ed is unsuccessful in getting a job at Screen Classics, but Eds girlfriend, Dolores Fuller, tells him that he should try financing his next film independently. Ed is unsuccessful in finding money for Bride of the Atom, Ed meets Loretta King, who he thinks has enough money to fund Bride of the Atom and ends up casting her as the lead instead of Dolores as planned. Filming begins, but is halted when it is revealed that Loretta is actually poor, and Ed has no money to continue production. Ed convinces meat packing industry tycoon Don McCoy to take over funding the film, who agrees as long as the film stars his son Tony as the leading man and the film ends with an explosion. The filming finishes with the title being changed to Bride of the Monster, but Dolores breaks up with Ed after the party because of his circle of friends, his work. Bela attempts to conduct a double suicide with Ed after the government cuts off his unemployment, Bela checks himself into rehab, and Ed meets Kathy OHara, who is visiting her father there
8. Edward Scissorhands – The young man is taken in by a suburban family and falls in love with their teenage daughter Kim. Additional roles were played by Dianne Wiest, Anthony Michael Hall, Kathy Baker, Vincent Price, Burton conceived Edward Scissorhands from his childhood upbringing in suburban Burbank, California. During pre-production of Beetlejuice, Caroline Thompson was hired to adapt Burtons story into a screenplay, Edward Scissorhands was then fast tracked after Burtons critical and financial success with Batman. The majority of filming took place in Lakeland, Florida between March 10 and June 10,1990, the film also marks the fourth collaboration between Burton and film score composer Danny Elfman. The character of The Inventor was devised specifically for Vincent Price, Edwards scissor hands were created and designed by Stan Winston. Edward Scissorhands was released to positive feedback from critics, and was a financial success, the film received numerous nominations at the Academy Awards, British Academy Film Awards, Saturn Awards, as well as winning the Hugo Award for Best Dramatic Presentation. Both Burton and Elfman consider Edward Scissorhands their most personal and favorite work, an elderly woman tells her granddaughter a bedtime story of where snow comes from, by telling her the story of a young man named Edward who has scissor blades for hands. As the creation of an old Inventor, Edward was a boy who was in the penultimate stage of work. The Inventor homeschooled Edward, but suffered a heart attack. Some years later, Peg Boggs, a local Avon door-to-door saleswoman and she finds Edward alone, and though he is initially startled, Peg offers to take him to her home when she realizes he is virtually harmless. Peg introduces Edward to her family, her husband Bill, their young son Kevin and they are initially fearful of Edward but come to see him as a kind person and allow him to stay. The Boggs neighbors are all curious to their new house guest, there, most of the neighbors are fascinated by Edward and befriend him, except for the eccentric religious fanatic Esmeralda and Kims boyfriend Jim. After the barbecue, Edward repays the neighborhood for their kindness by trimming their hedges into beautiful topiaries and this incidentally leads him to discovering he can craftfully trim and style dogs hair, and later as a hair stylist for many of the neighborhood women. One of the neighbors, Joyce, suggests that she can help Edward open a hair salon and charge money for his unique talent. While scouting for a location, Joyce attempts to him, leaving Edward scared, though Joyce tells the other neighborhood women that he attempted to seduce her. The bank refuses to give Edward a loan for the salon, Jim, jealous of Kims growing attraction to Edward, suggests Edward help pick the lock on his parents home to acquire a van for himself and Kim. Edward agrees, but when he picks the lock, the alarm goes off. The police find through psychological examination that his period of isolation has left him no sense of reality or common sense
9. Focus (2015 film) – Focus is a 2015 American romantic crime comedy-drama film written and directed by Glenn Ficarra and John Requa, starring Will Smith, Margot Robbie, and Rodrigo Santoro. The film was released on February 27,2015 and received mixed reviews from critics but was a success at the box office, grossing a total of $159 million off its $50 million budget. Seasoned con-man Nicky Spurgeon goes to a restaurant, where an inexperienced grifter, Jess Barrett, seduces him. When the deception fails, Nicky advises them never to lose focus when faced with unexpected situations, Jess finds him in another nightclub a few days later and convinces Nicky to become her mentor. Nicky tells her about how his father, a con man named Bucky Spurgeon, was forced to shoot his grandfather when a con went wrong, Jess follows Nick to New Orleans, where she is introduced to Nickys crew as well, including the obese and profane Farhad. To win it back, Nicky asks Tse to pick any player on or off the field, a distraught Jess scans the field and notices Farhad wearing jersey number 55 and realizes it is another con. They take Tse for millions of dollars, Nicky explains to Jess how Tse had been programmed to pick 55 since he arrived, with subtle, subconscious prompts throughout his day. Afterwards, Nicky, wary of his emotional involvement, leaves Jess by the side of the road with her cut. He instructs the driver to take her to the airport, Jess cries as her limo drives off, leaving Nicky to climb into another waiting car. Three years later, Nicky is in Buenos Aires, working for billionaire motorsport team owner Rafael Garriga, Garriga needs to beat a team headed by Australian businessman McEwen to win the championship. Nicky will pretend to be a technician on Garrigas team willing to sell Garrigas custom fuel use algorithm EXR. Instead he will sell McEwen a bogus version which will slow their car down during the race, at a pre-race party, Nicky runs into Jess, who is now Garrigas girlfriend. After faking heavy drinking upon seeing Jess, Nicky has a fight with Garriga in public. Nicky begins pursuing Jess again, and they rekindle their relationship. The head of Garrigas security entourage, Owens, is suspicious, Nicky delivers the component to McEwen for three million euros but also sells it to the other teams for similar amounts. Nicky and Jess attempt to return to the United States together, however, they are caught by Garrigas men and taken to Garrigas garage. Jess is bound and gagged whilst Nicky is given a beating, Nicky has actually sold the real EXR to all of the various teams. Garriga is convinced that Jess had something to do with Nicky gaining access to EXR, in order to save Jess, Nicky explains that he gained access to EXR through tricking Jess into believing he still had feelings for her