Category:GOOD Music artists
Pages in category "GOOD Music artists"
The following 20 pages are in this category, out of 20 total, this list may not reflect recent changes (learn more).
The following 20 pages are in this category, out of 20 total, this list may not reflect recent changes (learn more).
1. Recording artist – A musician is a person who plays a musical instrument or is musically talented. Anyone who composes, conducts, or performs music may also be referred to as a musician, Musicians can specialize in any musical style, and some musicians play in a variety of different styles. Examples of a musicians possible skills include performing, conducting, singing, composing, arranging, in the Middle Ages, instrumental musicians performed with soft ensembles inside and loud instruments outdoors. Many European musicians of this time catered to the Roman Catholic Church, providing arrangements structured around Gregorian chant structure, vocal pieces were in Latin—the language of church texts of the time—and typically were Church-polyphonic or made up of several simultaneous melodies. Giovanni Palestrina Giovanni Gabrieli Thomas Tallis Claudio Monteverdi Leonardo da Vinci The Baroque period introduced heavy use of counterpoint, vocal and instrumental “color” became more important compared to the Renaissance style of music, and emphasized much of the volume, texture and pace of each piece. George Frideric Handel Johann Sebastian Bach Antonio Vivaldi Classical music was created by musicians who lived during a time of a middle class. Many middle-class inhabitants of France at the time lived under long-time absolute monarchies, because of this, much of the music was performed in environments that were more constrained compared to the flourishing times of the Renaissance and Baroque eras. This age included the initial transformations of the Industrial Revolution, a revolutionary energy was also at the core of Romanticism, which quite consciously set out to transform not only the theory and practice of poetry and art, but the common perception of the world. Some major Romantic Period precepts survive, and still affect modern culture, in 20th-century music, composers and musicians rejected the emotion-dominated Romantic period, and strove to represent the world the way they perceived it. Musicians wrote to be. objective, while objects existed on their own terms, while past eras concentrated on spirituality, this new period placed emphasis on physicality and things that were concrete. The advent of recording and mass media in the 20th century caused a boom of all kinds of music—popular music, rock music, electronic music, folk music. Singer Composer Music artist Tour Manager Media related to Musicians at Wikimedia CommonsRecording artist – Guy Pratt, a professional session musician, playing bass guitar.
2. Record producer – A record producer or music producer oversees and manages the sound recording and production of a band or performers music, which may range from recording one song to recording a lengthy concept album. A producer has many roles during the recording process, the roles of a producer vary. The producer may perform these roles himself, or help select the engineer, the producer may also pay session musicians and engineers and ensure that the entire project is completed within the record companies budget. A record producer or music producer has a broad role in overseeing and managing the recording. Producers also often take on an entrepreneurial role, with responsibility for the budget, schedules, contracts. In the 2010s, the industry has two kinds of producers with different roles, executive producer and music producer. Executive producers oversee project finances while music producers oversee the process of recording songs or albums. In most cases the producer is also a competent arranger, composer. The producer will also liaise with the engineer who concentrates on the technical aspects of recording. Noted producer Phil Ek described his role as the person who creatively guides or directs the process of making a record, indeed, in Bollywood music, the designation actually is music director. The music producers job is to create, shape, and mold a piece of music, at the beginning of record industry, producer role was technically limited to record, in one shot, artists performing live. The role of producers changed progressively over the 1950s and 1960s due to technological developments, the development of multitrack recording caused a major change in the recording process. Before multitracking, all the elements of a song had to be performed simultaneously, all of these singers and musicians had to be assembled in a large studio and the performance had to be recorded. As well, for a song that used 20 instruments, it was no longer necessary to get all the players in the studio at the same time. Examples include the rock sound effects of the 1960s, e. g. playing back the sound of recorded instruments backwards or clanging the tape to produce unique sound effects. These new instruments were electric or electronic, and thus they used instrument amplifiers, new technologies like multitracking changed the goal of recording, A producer could blend together multiple takes and edit together different sections to create the desired sound. For example, in jazz fusion Bandleader-composer Miles Davis album Bitches Brew, producers like Phil Spector and George Martin were soon creating recordings that were, in practical terms, almost impossible to realise in live performance. Producers became creative figures in the studio, other examples of such engineers includes Joe Meek, Teo Macero, Brian Wilson, and BidduRecord producer – Alan Parsons in an ESO 50th anniversary video.
3. Very GOOD Beats – GOOD Music, Inc. is an American record label founded in 2004, by hip hop artist and record producer Kanye West. The label has housed several successful recording artists throughout the years, such as Big Sean, Pusha T, Common, John Legend, Tyga, Kid Cudi, Desiigner, Teyana Taylor and Mos Def, among others. Their roster of producers include Travis Scott, Southside, Hit-Boy, Hudson Mohawke, Q-Tip, Jeff Bhasker. The label has released 10 albums certified gold or higher by the Recording Industry Association of America, Kanye West founded GOOD Music in 2004, in conjunction with Sony BMG, shortly after releasing his debut album, The College Dropout. John Legend, Common, and West were the labels inaugural artists, legends Get Lifted was the labels first album release - this received eight nominations and three wins at the 2006 Grammy Awards, including Best New Artist and Best R&B Album. In October 2006, Legend released his album, Once Again. Commons Be, the second release, was the recipient of four Grammy Award nominations. The label later added GLC, Really Doe, Malik Yusef, Tony Williams, Wests second studio album, Late Registration, included featured guest appearances by every artist signed to GOOD Musics roster at the time of its release in August 2005. In May 2007, Detroit rapper Big Sean signed to the label, in 2008, West signed British singer-songwriter Mr Hudson, after hearing A Tale of Two Cities. He also signed then up-and-coming rapper Kid Cudi, after hearing his work from producer and manager Plain Pat. Kid Cudis debut album, Man on the Moon, The End of Day was released under GOOD Music on September 15,2009, the album earned three Grammy nominations and was certified Gold by the RIAA. A month later Mr Hudsons solo debut, Straight No Chaser, was released, the label held a cypher for the 2010 BET Hip Hop Awards in June, that featured West, Common, Big Sean and new signee Cyhi the Prynce. In late 2010, West released several tracks featuring himself, and others members of the GOOD Music roster, in a free weekly giveaway known as, G. O. O. D. In September 2010, West signed Brooklyn rapper Mos Def to GOOD Music. and shortly afterwards Consequence released a diss track, the following month Pusha T announced his signing. Late in 2010, Kid Cudi released his studio album Man on the Moon II, The Legend of Mr. Rager. In April 2011, West signed American rapper and producer Q-Tip of A Tribe Called Quest, Kanye West also signed producer Hit-Boy, to Very G. O. O. D. In 2011, West signed Nigerian artists Dbanj and Don Jazzy, in June 2011, GOOD Music signed their first distribution agreement, with Def Jam Recordings. Big Seans debut Finally Famous was the first album released by GOOD Music with distribution by Def Jam, in late 2011, plans were announced for a release of a compilation album, later entitled Cruel SummerVery GOOD Beats – Rapper Kanye West founded the record label during 2004.
4. Big Sean – Sean Michael Leonard Anderson, known professionally as Big Sean, is an American rapper from Detroit, Michigan. Sean signed with Kanye Wests GOOD Music in 2007, Def Jam Recordings in 2008, after releasing a number of mixtapes, Sean released his debut studio album, Finally Famous, in 2011. He released his studio album, Hall of Fame, on August 27,2013. Seans third studio album Dark Sky Paradise was released in 2015, Sean Michael Leonard Anderson was born on March 25,1988 in Santa Monica, California to Myra and James Anderson. When he was 3 months old, he moved to Detroit, Michigan, where he was raised by his mother, a school teacher and he attended the Detroit Waldorf School and graduated from Cass Technical High School with a 3.7 GPA. Big Sean is often heard saying west side in his songs, he is referring to the west side of his hometown Detroit, in 2005, Kanye West was doing a radio interview at 102.7 FM. Hearing about this, Sean headed over to the station to meet West, initially West was reluctant to hear him, however he gave Sean 16 bars to rap for him. According to Big Sean, West enjoyed his freestyle, As we get to the entrance of the radio station and we stopped in the middle of the doorway. He starts looking at me and bobbing his head, after the freestyle, Sean left West his demo tape. Two years later, West signed Big Sean to GOOD Music, on September 30,2007, Big Sean released his first official mixtape Finally Famous, The Mixtape. His hit single, Getcha Some, produced by WrighTrax, attained media attention and led to articles in The Source and he also recorded a music video for Getcha Some, which was directed by Hype Williams. Sean released a mixtape hosted by Mick Boogie on April 16,2009. It featured the songs Million Dollars, Getcha Some and Supa Dupa, an unauthorized leak of his collaboration with Drake, called Made made its way onto the internet on April 30,2010. In an interview with TheHipHopUpdate. com on May 1, Big Sean expressed his disappointment over the leak, Big Seans official Facebook page confirmed that his debut album Finally Famous & Consequences Cons TV would be released on September 14,2010. On August 31, Big Sean tweeted that the album was not coming out on that day, the albums lead single, My Last, features vocals from Chris Brown and was produced by No I. D. According to Amazon. com, Big Seans Finally Famous was delayed by a week, Big Sean has revealed the cover art for his G. O. O. D. Music debut and explained that the one-week pushback was to be blamed on sample, the official track list was revealed on June 7. Finally Famous, Seans debut studio album, was released June 28,2011, and spawned three hit singles, My Last, Marvin & Chardonnay and DanceBig Sean – Big Sean in November 2009
5. Cyhi the Prynce – Cydel Young, better known by his stage name Cyhi the Prynce, is an American hip hop recording artist from Stone Mountain, Georgia. In 2009, Young signed his first major-label contract with Konvict Muzik, in 2010, he signed with Kanye Wests GOOD Music label imprint. He was released from his Def Jam contract in August 2015, growing up in Georgia, Young played various sports including football, basketball, and track and field, in addition to singing in school choirs and participating in school plays and dances. He was raised Baptist by strict parents, who didnt allow him to listen to hip hop music as a youth, however, Young cites his parents methods as a foundation upon which he could build himself in character, especially growing up in the area that he was. In 2009, Young signed a contract with Akons Konvict Muzik label imprint. Young first gained attention in 2010 when he received a co-sign from fellow American rapper. Young reports that American singer Beyoncé, a friend of West and this culminated in Youngs inclusion on Wests weekly free music giveaway GOOD Fridays, and his fifth studio album My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy. Young recorded his second mixtape, Royal Flush II, with producer CPK, League, No I. D. and Kanye West, as well as DJ Toomp, The Alchemist and Just Blaze. Young released his mixtape, Jack of All Trades, later in 2011. Young appeared on GOOD Musics compilation album Cruel Summer, released September 18,2012, on January 29,2013 he released his fifth mixtape, Ivy League, Kick Back. The tape features guest appearances from 2 Chainz, B. o. B, Travis Porter, Yelawolf, Childish Gambino, Trae Tha Truth, despite not being featured on Kanye Wests Yeezus album, Young has writing credits on all but one of the albums songs. CyHi is continuing to prepare his debut studio album Hardway Musical for release, as of August 2015, CyHis album had yet to receive a release date. Frustrated with his situation and having dropped from Def Jam Recordings, he released a diss track called Elephant In The Room. Music, its owner Kanye West, Pusha T and Teyana Taylor, CyHi would later clarify that the track was not in fact a diss. Rather it was similar to the insults that Eminem would inflict on Dr. Dre. An upcoming album to be titled L. I. O. N. was announced amid this increase in media attention, Music imprints logo, further indicating that CyHi was still with the label, and on good terms. No Dope On Sundays Reverbnation. com Nanci O Is Hip Hop Interview With CyHi The PrynceCyhi the Prynce – Cyhi the Prynce performing in June 2014
6. Kacy Hill – Kacy Anne Hill is an American model and singer-songwriter, currently signed to Kanye Wests GOOD Music. She was born and raised in Phoenix, Arizona and had worked as a model for American Apparel. She released Experience, her first non-album single independently in 2014, the first single from the EP, Foreign Fields, was released in 2015. Hill was also #6 on Dazed and Confuseds Readers 100 list, Hill was raised in Phoenix, Arizona and attended Arizona School for the Arts. At an early age, she was influenced by music, playing the oboe and saxophone, Hill began modeling at the age of 16 after being discovered by a wedding photographer. She moved to Los Angeles after high school to pursue a career which led her to becoming the face for American Apparel. She got into music when she met a director who directed the video for her first non-album single release. Regarding her modeling career, Hill stated that she never felt passionate about it, in an interview with NY Mag, she was quoted as saying, It wasnt something I really wanted to do, it was something that was there, so I went after it. Hill was a dancer for Kanye West during his 2013-2014 The Yeezus Tour. She had released Experience, a single at the beginning of the tour. The video for the song was shot in ten minutes between her getting off a plane and going to a tour rehearsal. During the tour, West was provided with a copy of the song and her song Experience received international media attention, with Digital Spy naming it a track you need to hear as well as The BoomBox naming Hill an artist to watch in 2015. Hill was also #6 on Dazed and Confuseds Readers 100 list, since the release of Experience, Hill has written songs that will become part of her debut EP with GOOD Music. Entitled Bloo, the songs are said to be a collection of what Hill wants to accomplish musically, the Express Tribune named her one of 10 new music artists you are bound to have on repeat. Additional accolades have come from GQ who stated Hills barreling towards the big time and NY Magazine who stated she was ethereal yet catchy and her first major feature was on the song 90210 on labelmate Travis Scotts Rodeo. On her Facebook stream, which singer did in July, she confirmed that the single is expected to be a new song called Hard to Love. Hill finished recording her album in December 2016. TBA Kacy Hill official website Fan page on Def Jam RecordingsKacy Hill – Kacy Hill
7. Don Jazzy – Michael Collins Ajereh, better known as Don Jazzy, is a Nigerian record producer, singer, songwriter, and entrepreneur. He co-founded the now defunct record label Mo Hits Records in 2004, following the closure of the aforementioned record label, Don Jazzy set up Mavin Records on May 8,2012. Ajereh was born in Lagos State and his family lived in Ajegunle, Lagos where Ajereh was raised. He was educated at the high school, Federal Government College Lagos. Ajereh found an interest in early in life and at age 12. He also gained knowledge of traditional and percussion instruments, ajareh enrolled in business management studies at the Ambrose Alli University, Ekpoma, Edo state. His uncle had invited him to play the drums for the local church, in London, Ajereh gained employment at McDonalds and as a security guard. He continued his interest in music, associating with Solek, JJC, Kas, The 419 Squad, Ajereh learnt producing skills from Emeka Infiniti at O-Town record company. In 2004, Ajereh collaborated with DBanj to found Mo Hits Records, in the next two years, Ajereh produced the albums No Long Thing and Rundown/Funk You Up. A third album, Curriculum Vitae, had also been started, around this time, Ajereh developed a recognisable introduction, Its Don Jazzy Again. In 2008, Ajereh was credited in the production of The Entertainer by DBanj and he also contributed to the production of Wande Coals Mushin 2 MoHits, an album that was described as one of the best albums to ever come out of Nigeria. Although Ajereh did not take credit as a singer, he performed vocals for artists he produced. These performances include vocals for DBanj, Sauce Kid, Dr SID, Ikechukwu, Kween, DPrince, Ajereh provided vocal performance for Kanye Wests song Lift Off with Beyoncé on the Watch The Throne album. In 2011, Ajereh was employed by Kanye West as a producer at Very Good Beatz, Kanye West made a surprise appearance at the Koko Concert in London. He showed support to DBanj by giving him his chain, Ajereh worked with Jay-Z and Kanye West on the production of Lift Off, featuring Beyoncé on the album Watch The Throne which was released on 8 August 2011. In March 2012, Don Jazzy and DBanj abandoned their partnership citing artistic differences, on 7 May 2012, Ajereh announced a new record label, Mavin Records. Ajereh said, I see Mavin Records being the house of Music in Africa in the shortest possible time. On 8 May 2012, he released an album featuring the artists signed to his label, the songs on the album included, Amarachi, Forever, Oma Ga, Take Banana and Chocolate, YOLO and the anthem Im a MAVINDon Jazzy – Don Jazzy performing at the 2014 MAMAs in Durban
8. John Legend – John Roger Stephens, known professionally as John Legend, is an American singer, songwriter, musician and actor. He has won ten Grammy Awards, one Golden Globe Award, in 2007, Legend received the Hal David Starlight Award from the Songwriters Hall of Fame. Prior to the release of Legends debut album, his career gained momentum through a series of collaborations with already established artists. At various points in his career, Legend has sung in Magnetic Mans Getting Nowhere, Kanye Wests All of the Lights, on Slum Villages Selfish, Legend played piano on Lauryn Hills Everything Is Everything. For his solo work, he earned a Billboard Hot 100 number-one single with All of Me in 2013 and he won the Academy Award for Best Original Song in 2015 for writing the song Glory from the film Selma. Legend was born on December 28,1978, in Springfield and he is one of four children of Phyllis Elaine, a seamstress, and Ronald Lamar Stephens, a factory worker and former National Guardsman. Throughout his childhood, Legend was homeschooled on and off by his mother, at the age of four, he performed with his church choir. He began playing the piano at age seven, at the age of twelve, Legend attended North High School, from which he graduated salutatorian of his class four years later. According to Legend, he was offered admission to Harvard University and scholarships to Georgetown University and he attended the University of Pennsylvania, where he studied English with an emphasis on African-American literature. While in college, Legend served as president and musical director of a co-ed jazz and his lead vocals on the groups recording of Joan Osbornes One of Us received critical acclaim landing the song on the track list of the 1998 Best of Collegiate a Cappella compilation CD. Legend was also a member of the senior societies Sphinx Senior Society. While in college, Legend was introduced to Lauryn Hill by a friend, Hill hired him to play piano on Everything Is Everything, a song from her album The Miseducation of Lauryn Hill. During this period, he began to hold a number of shows around Philadelphia, eventually expanding his audience base to New York, Boston, Atlanta and he graduated college in 1999, and thereafter began producing, writing, and recording his own music. He released two albums independently, his self-titled demo and Live at Jimmys Uptown, which he sold at his shows, after graduating from the University of Pennsylvania, Legend began working as a management consultant for the Boston Consulting Group. He subsequently began working on his demo and began sending his work to record labels. In 2001, Devo Springsteen introduced Legend to then up-and-coming hip-hop artist Kanye West and this was after his rebranding, as the artist known as, Dorrough. After signing to Wests label, he chose his name from an idea that was given to him by poet J. Ivy. J. Ivy stated, I heard your music and it reminds me of that music from the old school and you sound like one of the legendsJohn Legend – John Legend at the Citi Presents Evenings with Legends show on 29 January 2014 in New York.
9. Hudson Mohawke – Ross Matthew Birchard, better known by the stage name Hudson Mohawke, is a producer, DJ, and composer from Glasgow, Scotland. A founding member of the LuckyMe label collective, he has signed to Warp Records. He has released two albums on Warp, Butter and Lantern, and has produced for a range of artists, including West, Pusha T, Drake. Birchard also makes up one half of the music duo TNGHT with Canadian producer Lunice. At the age of 15, Birchard was the youngest UK DMC finalist, during this period, Birchard formed the Lucky Me collective with childhood friends. He adopted the stage name Hudson Mohawke after seeing the name engraved on a statue in the hallway of his accommodation, Hudson Mo was also DJ/Producer for the now defunct hip hop group Surface Emp alongside MCs Dom Sum and sometimes 2 Can Dan. Surface Empire released the LuckyMe EP in 2005 on Far Cut Records, in 2008, Birchard met Canadian producer Lunice during the first LuckyMe Records tour of North America, with Hudson Mohawke performing at the Pop Montreal festival and Lunice playing support. Following a successful performance headlining Warp Records 2012 SXSW showcase, the collaborative project TNGHT debuted their TNGHT EP. His first official release to get major notice was entitled Spotted on the Rush Hour beat compilation Beat Dimensions Vol 1, in 2008 his 12 EP Ooops. on LuckyMe/Wireblock became an underground sensation, particularly once word spread of his recording contract with Warp. In 2009, Hudson Mohawke released his first studio album, Butter, in that year, he contributed a cover of a Jimi Tenor song, titled Paint the Stars, to the Warp20 compilation. He would follow with several EPs, including 2011s Satin Panthers and he produced the debut EP for UK band Egyptian Hip Hop at Club Ralph Studios in London, which was released in August 2010. One of his songs, 100hm, has featured as a track on the video game Grand Theft Auto V, while Fuse was featured in Sleeping Dogs. In 2012, Hudson Mohawke began a series of collaborations with Kanye West, on January 17,2013, it was announced that Mohawke had officially signed with GOOD Music as a producer, whilst remaining with Warp and LuckyMe as a recording artist. TNGHT announced their hiatus on December 27,2013, in 2015, he released his second studio album, Lantern. In 2016, he collaborated with singer Anohni on her 2016 album Hopelessness, following the formation of TNGHT, Birchard and partner Lunice attempted to strip down their production styles and avoid all over the place tracks. Albums Butter Lantern Ded Sec — Watch Dogs 2 EPs LuckyMe Choices Vol.1 Puzzles Secrets Polyfolk Dance Satin Panthers TNGHT Hud Mo 100 Chimes Singles Oops, star Crackout / Root Hands / Everybody Else Is Wrong Chimes Chimes ft. F. T. R. From King Push – Darkest Before Dawn, The Prelude A$AP Rocky - Everyday from At. Last. o. B - Satellite Gucci Mane - Party Animal Björk - Virus from Bastards Battles - Rolls Bayce from Dross Glop Jackson & His Computer Band - Vista from G. IHudson Mohawke – Hudson Mohawke
10. Mos Def – Yasiin Bey, best known by his stage name Mos Def, is an American hip hop recording artist, actor and activist from Brooklyn, New York City, New York. He subsequently formed the duo Black Star, alongside fellow Brooklyn-based rapper Talib Kweli and he was featured on the roster of Rawkus Records and in 1999 released his solo debut, Black on Both Sides. His debut was followed by The New Danger, True Magic, the editors at About. com listed him as the 14th greatest emcee of all time on their 50 greatest MCs of our time list. Prior to his career in music, Mos Def first entered public life as a actor, having played roles in television movies, sitcoms. He is also known as the host of Def Poetry Jam, Mos Def has been vocal on several social and political causes, including police brutality, the idea of American exceptionalism, and the state of African Americans. Dante Terrell Smith Bey was born in Brooklyn, New York City, the eldest of 12 children and step-children, he was raised by his mother in Brooklyn, while his father lived in New Jersey. At 19, he took his shahada, the Muslim declaration of faith and he is close friends with fellow Muslim rappers Ali Shaheed Muhammad and Kamaal Ibn John Fareed of the rap group A Tribe Called Quest. Mos Def attended middle school at Philippa Schuyler Middle School 383 in Bushwick, after returning from filming You Take the Kids in Los Angeles, and getting into a relationship with an older girl, Mos Def dropped out of high school during sophomore year. In a particularly traumatic childhood experience, Mos Def witnessed his then five year old younger brother Ilias Bey get hit by a car, Bey, who later adopted the alias DCQ, was described by Smith as my first partner in Hip Hop. Mos Def began his rap career in 1994, forming the rap group UTD along with younger brother DCQ. In 2004, they released the album Manifest Destiny, their first, the album features a compilation of previously unreleased and re-released tracks recorded during the original UTD run. In 1996, Mos Def emerged as a solo artist and worked with De La Soul and Da Bush Babees, before he released his own first single, Mos Def signed with Rawkus Records and formed the rap group Black Star with Talib Kweli. The duo released an album, Mos Def & Talib Kweli are Black Star, mostly produced by Hi-Tek, the album featured the singles Respiration and Definition, which both reached in the Billboard Hot R&B/Hip-Hop Songs chart. Mos Def released his debut album Black on Both Sides in October 1999. The single Ms. Fat Booty charted, while the album reached #25 on the Billboard 200, around this time he also contributed to the Scritti Politti album Anomie & Bonhomie. In January 2002 Rawkus Records was taken over by Geffen Records and it included contributions by Shuggie Otis and Bernie Worrell, Doug Wimbish, and Will Calhoun as the Black Jack Johnson Band. The album reached #5 on the Billboard 200, making it the most successful for the artist to date, the single Sex, Love & Money charted, and was nominated for a Grammy Award. Mos Defs final solo album for Geffen Records, titled True Magic, was released in 2006, the song Crime & Medicine is a remake of GZAs 1995 single Liquid SwordsMos Def – Mos Def performing at the 2012 Ilosaarirock festival
11. No I.D. – Ernest Dion Wilson, professionally known as No I. D. is an American hip hop and R&B music producer from Chicago, Illinois. Wilson is also a jockey, music arranger and rapper, having released an album in 1997, titled Accept Your Own and Be Yourself. He is perhaps best known for his work with Chicago-based rapper Common. Wilson, who has served as a mentor for several artists. Wilson was once president of Wests GOOD Music record company and although he would resign from that position, in June 2011, Wilson announced he formed the supergroup Cocaine 80s, alongside Common and several other artists. In August 2011, Wilson became the Executive Vice President of A&R for Def Jam Recordings and he subsequently launched his own record label imprint, ARTium Recordings. He is currently the Executive Vice President and Head of Creative at Def Jam Recordings, in 1996, Wilson released an album under the pseudonym No I. D. titled Accept Your Own and Be Yourself. The moniker No I. D. is a half-palindrome of his birth name and he also released a beat tape, titled Invisible Beats. In Wilsons early career he was working as a co-producer for Jermaine Dupri, Wilson also introduced Chicago-based rapper Kanye West to hip hop production, inviting him to his sessions with Common, when West was only beginning. West cites Wilson as his mentor on Last Call, the outro to his acclaimed debut album The College Dropout. West also referenced Wilsons mentorship on songs such as Big Brother, Wilsons second official release was with Dug Infinite, a two-album package titled The Sampler, vol. In 2007, he was the focus of perhaps the most attention of his career for producing two songs from Jay-Zs album American Gangster. At the time he worked with such as Jay-Z, Rhymefest, Plies, Big Sean, Killer Mike, Rick Ross, Drake, and Kanye West, Young Jeezy. Wilson produced D. O. A. the first single for Jay-Zs eleventh studio album The Blueprint 3, as well as the second single Run This Town, which features Kanye West and Rihanna. He once again teamed up with Common for the first time since 1997, after resigning as President of Kanye West GOOD Music record company, in August 2011, it was announced No I. D. was appointed Executive Vice President of A&R for Def Jam Recordings. In addition, Def Jam has signed a joint venture label deal for No I. D. s Artium Recordings. In 2013, Wilson served as the producer of GOOD Music recording artist Big Seans second album Hall of Fame. In an August 2013 interview with Complex, Wilson said he was working on Jhene AikoNo I.D. – No I.D. in March 2008.
12. Pusha T – Terrence LeVarr Thornton, better known by his stage name Pusha T, is an American rapper. He initially gained recognition as one-half of hip hop duo Clipse, alongside his brother Gene No Malice Thornton. In September 2010, Thornton announced his signing to Kanye Wests GOOD Music imprint, in March 2011, he released his first solo project, a mixtape titled Fear of God. Thornton released his solo album My Name Is My Name. In November 2015, Kanye West appointed Pusha T to take over his role as president of GOOD Music, Terrence LeVarr Thornton was born on May 13,1977, in The Bronx borough of New York City. Thornton and his family relocated to Virginia Beach, Virginia. In 1992, Terrence and his brother Gene formed the duo Clipse, of the two brothers, Terrence was more open to features, appearing on Kelis 1999 single Good Stuff and Niveas 2001 single Run Away, respectively. In 2004, he and his brother launched their record label imprint, Re-Up Records, in 2006, they released their third studio album and their most commercial album, Hell Hath No Fury, which was praised by critics. After one more album as the Clipse in 2009, both No Malice and Pusha T announced that they were taking time off from the duo to focus on their own solo projects. He was also featured on tracks from Wests GOOD Fridays series and made other appearances on Swizz Beatzs Monster Mondays series. 2 and tabi Bonneys Fresh, respectively, on the week of December 16,2010, Thornton signed exclusively with NUE Agency. On February 11,2011, Funkmaster Flex debuted Thorntons first solo offering on New York Citys Hot 97, the track, titled My God, was produced by Hit-Boy and was generally well received by the public. Soon after, the song leaked onto the internet, however was not officially released through iTunes, on March 21,2011, Thornton released his first solo project, a mixtape titled Fear of God, which included My God and featured freestyles and other original songs. Soon after he began working on his extended play Fear of God II, Let Us Pray. On August 31,2011, it was announced Thornton signed a record deal with Def Jam. In addition it was revealed he added four songs to the EP making it 12 tracks rather than just the nine tracks that were previously announced. The first single from Fear of God II, Let Us Pray was leaked onto the Internet on July 8,2011, the song, titled Trouble on My Mind, features Odd Future frontman, Tyler, The Creator. The EPs second single, Amen was released September 13,2011, the song, originally meant for Young Jeezy, was produced by Shawty Redd and features verses from Kanye West and Young Jeezy respectivelyPusha T – Pusha T
13. Q-Tip (musician) – Kamaal Ibn John Fareed, better known by his stage name Q-Tip, is an American rapper, singer, actor, record producer and DJ. He embarked on his career as part of the critically acclaimed East Coast hip hop group A Tribe Called Quest. In 2012, The Source ranked him #20 on their list of the Top 50 Lyricists of All Time, born Jonathan William Davis on April 10,1970 in Harlem, he converted to Islam in the mid-1990s, and changed his name to Kamaal Ibn John Fareed. He moved to St. Albans, Queens as a child, as referenced in the song Check the Rhime, he mostly resided around Linden Boulevard. His father was from Montserrat, a British territory in the eastern Caribbean and his sister, Gwen, is eight years his elder. He attended Murry Bergtraum High School in Manhattan, New York, according to Fareed, he was given his stage name by Afrika Baby Bam of Jungle Brothers, which he used as a replacement for his prior name, MC Love Child. He has also said that the Q in Q-Tip stands for Queens, in 1999 a Southern rapper known as TIP signed to Arista Records, but shortened his name to T. I. to avoid confusion with his then-labelmate Q-Tip. Throughout his career, he called himself The Abstract. He said that one of the people in his life that inspired him was his childhood friend. Q-Tip lives in Englewood Cliffs, New Jersey and he is the cousin of Consequence, who was featured heavily on Beats, Rhymes and Life. According to a DNA analysis, he descended, mainly, from the Jola people of Guinea-Bissau, in 1985, Q-Tip, together with high school friends Phife Dawg, Ali Shaheed Muhammad, and Jarobi White, founded the critically acclaimed hip hop group A Tribe Called Quest. The band signed to Jive Records and released five albums during its initial run. A Tribe Called Quest reunited in 2006 and played a number of dates. All members of the original lineup returned for the 2006 group, including Q-Tip, in 2016, shortly before the death of Phife Dawg, A Tribe Called Quest recorded their sixth album, releasing it in November of the same year. After the breakup of Tribe in 1998, Q-Tip pursued a solo career, pitchfork noted on the change in tenor, remarking, Abstract the storyteller and social critic been replaced by a scarcely recognizable, sex-obsessed MC. The release of his 2002 follow-up, Kamaal/The Abstract, was delayed despite critical acclaim and it eventually leaked onto the Internet, and the distribution of promotional copies led several publications to run reviews of the album. The album was released on September 15,2009, on Battery Records after being shelved for seven years. Following his work on Kamaal/The Abstract, Q-Tip featured on R. E. M. s 2004 album Around the Sun, early in 2007, Q-Tip signed a new solo deal with Universal Motown RecordsQ-Tip (musician) – Q-Tip in Washington, D.C., 2008
14. Southside (record producer) – Joshua Howard Luellen, professionally known as Southside, or by his stage name Young Sizzle, is an American record producer, songwriter and rapper. Southside gained recognition in the hip hop industry for producing songs for prominent artists across the American hip hop sphere. In 2010, Southside and fellow 1017 label-mate Lex Luger, established their production and songwriting team 808 Mafia. The basis for his name came from the place from where Luellen grew up, Southside. Southside grew up in the Southside region of Atlanta, Georgia, growing up, he was an accomplished baseball player and excelled in numerous baseball positions but eventually gave up the sport after suffering a concussion when he was hit in the head with a ball. He started making beats when he was 14 years old, when he got his first computer with his uncle and it was around his mid teenage years that Southside decided to start take music production as a serious career path. He was later discovered by then unknown rapper Waka Flocka Flame when he was 17 and through Wakas network, Gucci Mane eventually signed him to his label 1017 Brick Squad Records. At Bricksquad Records, Luellen met Lex Luger, who was producer for Waka Flocka. Southside’s first major release was the song Fuck the Club Up, in 2011, Southside co-produced the track Illest Motherfucker Alive, from Kanye West & Jay-Z’s critically acclaimed album Watch the Throne. This helped to boost his career and bring him into the hip hop scene. He has since worked with such as Rick Ross, B. o. B, Wale, Meek Mill, Lil Scrappy. Southside was the producer of Gucci Mane & Waka Flocka’s collaboration album Ferrari Boyz and on Flocka’s sophomore album Triple F Life, Friends. In January 2013, Southside produced Millions - the lead single from Pusha Ts mixtape Wrath of Caine, the music video for the song was released on February 10. The song sparked controversy when producer Rico Beats was asked to modify Southsides instrumental for the version of the song. Southside wasnt notified of the changes, which led to the two producers exchanging threats over Twitter, in Wrath of Caines official track list, Kanye West is credited as co-producer, instead of Rico Beats. Also in 2013, Southside & TM88 produced the song Tapout by Birdman for his album Rich Gang, the song peaked at #44 on the Billboard Hot 100 and have been certified Gold By The RIAA. Throughout the early 2010s, Southsides productions have featured on numerous mixtapes. Along with 808 Mafia’s TM88, the single “Danny Glover” became a breakout in early 2014 for Gucci Manes protégé Young Thug was produced by Southside, the well received project has seen more than a million combined streams and downloads via the online mixtape site DatPiffSouthside (record producer) – Southside at the Salute Me or Shoot Me 4 listening party in 2012
15. Teyana Taylor – Teyana Taylor, is an American recording artist and actress from Harlem, New York. In 2007, Taylor signed a deal with American musician Pharrell Williams Star Trak Entertainment imprint. In 2012, she signed to Kanye Wests GOOD Music label through Def Jam, as an aspiring songwriter, Taylor has worked with and written records for major artists such as Usher, Chris Brown, and Omarion. Taylor has appeared on runways during Fashion Week and has also landed high-profile features, Teyana Taylor was born December 10,1990 and raised in Harlem, New York City. Taylor is her mothers only child and her father has two sons and another daughter from a different relationship. Her mother raised her with her family and is currently her manager, at age nine, she picked up a microphone in front of a crowd and began performing. Taylor was enrolled in many different talent competitions, including the Apollo Theater National All-Stars talent search, growing up, Taylor had strong influences from Lauryn Hill, Stevie Wonder, Janet Jackson, and Michael Jackson. In September 2006, Teyana Taylor was credited as the choreographer on the video for American entertainer Beyoncés hit single. In January 2007, Taylor signed a deal to American recording artist and record producer Pharrell Williams Star Trak Entertainment imprint, in 2007, Taylor appeared in the music video for Jay-Zs single, Blue Magic, where she can be seen dancing and popping. In February 2008, Taylor released her debut single, called Google Me. The song was released as the single for her debut full-length project. The tape features the production from Jazze Pha, Pharrell, Mad Scientist, Frost, Shondre and Hit-Boy, the tape also features a mix of throwback break beats, futuristic boom bap, and melodic renderings is the perfect backdrop for the starlets musical mayhem. Google Me reached at number 90 on the US Billboards Hot R&B/Hip-Hop Songs, on August 16,2009, Taylor released her debut mixtape, From a Planet Called Harlem. The tape was released for free download, billed as the mixtape before her debut album. She was filling in as a member of the band, called U. G. L. Y, along with her band-mates such as Mijo, Braxton and Ethan. Released the snippet of their single, called Wasted, in August 2010, Taylor ventured her career into acting, appearing in the sequel of Stomp the Yard, titled Stomp the Yard 2, Homecoming. She also appeared on the episode of House of Glam on Oxygen. In 2010, just hours before Kanye Wests fifth album My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy, had to be turned in, West called Taylor to the studio to look at some of her fashion piecesTeyana Taylor – Taylor backstage at a Diesel fashion show July 17, 2008
16. Tyga – Micheal Ray Stevenson, known by his stage name Tyga, is an American rapper. In 2011, Tyga signed a contract with Young Money Entertainment, Cash Money Records. He released his third album Hotel California, on April 9,2013, and includes the singles Dope featuring Rick Ross, For The Road featuring Chris Brown, and Show You featuring Future. Micheal Ray Stevenson was born in Compton, California, on November 19,1989 and he is of Vietnamese and Jamaican descent. He is the cousin of Travis McCoy of Gym Class Heroes and he grew up listening to Fabolous, Lil Wayne, Camron and Eminem among others. On December 3,2012, debate arose concerning Tygas upbringing and he also claimed that he attained his nickname from his mother calling him Tiger Woods. There has been speculation that his claims on the show were satirical, Tyga responded to the videos leak on Twitter, When u 14 an ambitious u dont give a fuk about anything. Scripted tv isnt that what we all live for. Hahahaha No Introduction, one of the songs from this album, Diamond Life, was used in the video games Need for Speed, Undercover and Madden NFL2009, as well as in the 2009 movie Fighting. His 2007 debut mixtape, Young On Probation, garnered him enough attention to sign a deal with Young Money Entertainment. He created Fan of a Fan with Chris Brown and producers DJ Ill Will and it features other artists such as Bow Wow, Lil Wayne, and Kevin McCall featured in several tracks. Four tracks are accompanied by music videos. The track Deuces was released as the single of the mixtape and reached #14 on the Billboard Hot 100. The track has also nominated for Best Rap/Sung Collaboration at the 53rd Grammy Awards. The track, among others, was on the track list of Chris Browns fourth studio album, Tyga also told MTV in an interview that the mixtapes production took just short of a week. Careless World, Rise of the Last King was his studio album. The album was released on February 21,2012 on Young Money Entertainment, Cash Money Records, and Universal Republic Records. Careless World, Rise of the Last King is a move to the style he featured in the collaboration album We Are Young Money rather me than the poppy dance element shown on No Introduction. Tyga stated that the shows he has grown up but still relates to the kidsTyga – Tyga performing in December 2013
17. Kanye West – Kanye Omari West is an American rapper, songwriter, record producer, fashion designer, and entrepreneur. Intent on pursuing a career as a rapper, West released his debut album The College Dropout in 2004 to widespread critical and commercial success. He went on to pursue a variety of different styles on subsequent albums Late Registration, Graduation, and 808s & Heartbreak. In 2010, he released his fifth album My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy to rave reviews from critics, West released his abrasive sixth album, Yeezus, to further critical praise in 2013. His seventh album, The Life of Pablo, was released in 2016, Wests outspoken views and life outside of music have received significant mainstream attention. He has been a frequent source of controversy for his conduct at award shows, on social media and he is the founder and head of the creative content company DONDA. His 2014 marriage to television personality Kim Kardashian has also been subject to media coverage. He has won a total of 21 Grammy Awards, making him one of the most awarded artists of all time, three of his albums have been included and ranked on Rolling Stones 2012 update of the 500 Greatest Albums of All Time list. He has also included in a number of Forbes annual lists. Time named him one of the 100 most influential people in the world in 2005 and 2015, West was born on June 8,1977 in Atlanta, Georgia. His parents divorced when he was three years old, after the divorce, he and his mother moved to Chicago, Illinois. His father, Ray West, is a former Black Panther and was one of the first black photojournalists at The Atlanta Journal-Constitution. Ray West was later a Christian counselor, and in 2006, opened the Good Water Store and Café in Lexington Park, Maryland with startup capital from his son. West, was a professor of English at Clark Atlanta University, West was raised in a middle-class background, attending Polaris High School in suburban Oak Lawn, Illinois after living in Chicago. At the age of 10, West moved with his mother to Nanjing, China, according to his mother, West was the only foreigner in his class, but settled in well and quickly picked up the language, although he has since forgotten most of it. When asked about his grades in school, West replied, I got As. West demonstrated an affinity for the arts at an early age and his mother recalled that she first took notice of Wests passion for drawing and music when he was in the third grade. Growing up in Chicago, West became deeply involved in its hip hop scene and he started rapping in the third grade and began making musical compositions in the seventh grade, eventually selling them to other artistsKanye West – West performing at Lollapalooza in 2011