Category:Grammy Award for Best Rap Album
Pages in category "Grammy Award for Best Rap Album"
The following 24 pages are in this category, out of 24 total, this list may not reflect recent changes (learn more).
The following 24 pages are in this category, out of 24 total, this list may not reflect recent changes (learn more).
1. Grammy Award for Best Rap Album – In 1995, the Academy announced the addition of the award category Best Rap Album. The first award was presented to the group Naughty by Nature at the 38th Grammy Awards the following year, according to the category description guide for the 52nd Grammy Awards, the award is presented for albums containing at least 51% playing time of tracks with newly recorded rapped performances. Award recipients often include the producers, engineers, and/or mixers associated with the work in addition to the recording artists. As of 2015, Eminem holds the record for the most wins in this category, lauryn Hill is currently the only female artist to win in this category, when she won in 1997 with the Fugees. Kanye West was presented the four times, and the duo known as Outkast received the award twice. Jay-Z holds the record for the most nominations, with nine, canadian artist Drake became the first non-American winner in this category when he won in 2013. The Roots have received the most nominations without a win, with five, ^ Each year is linked to the article about the Grammy Awards held that year. Grammy Award for Best Rap Solo Performance Grammy Award for Best Rap Song Hip hop music Official site of the Grammy Awards
2. Graduation (album) – Graduation is the third studio album by American hip hop recording artist and record producer Kanye West. It was released on September 11,2007, by Roc-A-Fella Records, Recording sessions for the album took place during 2005 to 2007 at Chung King Studios, Sony Music Studios in New York City, at Chalice Studios and The Record Plant in Los Angeles. It was primarily produced by West himself, with contributions from DJ Toomp, as well as Mike Dean, Nottz, Brian All Day Miller, Eric Hudson, Warryn Campbell, Gee Roberson, Plain Pat and Jon Brion. It features guest contributions from artists, including Mos Def, Dwele, T-Pain, Lil Wayne, DJ Premier, the albums cover artwork was designed by Japanese contemporary artist Takashi Murakami. Toward this end, West incorporated synthesizer sounds into his production and dabbled with electronic music, lyrically, the album is more introspective in comparison to its predecessors, as West dedicated much of Graduation towards analyzing himself and conveying his ambivalent outlook on his newfound fame. It continues the theme of Wests previous two studio albums, The College Dropout and Late Registration. The album debuted at one on the US Billboard 200. It produced five singles, including the international hits Cant Tell Me Nothing, Stronger, the outcome of the competition marks a turning point in hip-hop culture, when the dominance of gangsta rap in mainstream hip-hop was brought to an end. Graduation received positive reviews from most critics and earned West several accolades, the album has sold 2,700,000 copies in the US and has been certified double platinum by the Recording Industry Association of America. The album demonstrates yet another distinctive progression in Wests musical style, Kanye West was particularly influenced by house music, a subgenre of electronic dance music that first originated in his hometown of Chicago, Illinois in the early 1980s. West has stated growing up, he would listen to hip-hop music at home or in his car. While he rarely listened to house at home, he felt it was an important part of his culture. Along with house music, Graduation contains samples and music elements of euro-disco, hard rock, electronica, lounge, progressive rock, synth-pop, electro, krautrock, dub, reggae, and dancehall. Also, for much of the studio album, Kanye West modified his style of rapping and adopted a dilatory. West altered his vocabulary, he utilized less of the percussive, rhythmic consonants in favor of the more smoother, in addition to U2, West drew inspiration from other arena rock bands such as The Rolling Stones and Led Zeppelin for the melodies and chord progressions of his songs. He also chose to back on the guest appearances, limiting himself to just one single guest rap verse on the entire studio album. Largely due to all this and the inclusion of the layered electronic synthesizers, but he also acknowledged the fact that the differences did not right away and without a doubt make Graduation a good album. However, he felt it was a representation of the music he was listening to at that time, Kanye West began working on Graduation immediately after releasing his second studio album Late Registration
3. The Marshall Mathers LP – The Marshall Mathers LP is the third studio album by American rapper Eminem. The album was produced mostly by Dr. Dre and Eminem, along with The 45 King, the Bass Brothers, and Mel-Man. The album sold more than 1.78 million copies in the US in its first week alone, in 2001, the album won the Grammy Award for Best Rap Album and was nominated for Album of the Year. Eminem lost the latter to jazz-rock duo Steely Dan and their album Two Against Nature, the album was certified Diamond by the Recording Industry Association of America in March 2011 for shipping 10 million copies in the United States. By December 2016, the album had sold over 11 million copies in the United States, a sequel to the album, The Marshall Mathers LP2, was released on November 5,2013. Inspired by the disappointment of his album, Infinite, Eminem created the alter ego Slim Shady. After placing second in the annual Rap Olympics, Eminem was noticed by the staff at Interscope Records and eventually CEO Jimmy Iovine, Eminem and Dr. Dre then recorded The Slim Shady LP, which was noted for its over-the-top lyrical depictions of drugs and violence. The Slim Shady LP was a critical and commercial success, debuting at number two on the Billboard 200 chart and selling 283,000 copies in its first week. At the 42nd Grammy Awards in 2000, the record won Best Rap Album, the Slim Shady LP turned Eminem from an underground rapper into a high-profile celebrity. The rapper, who had struggled to provide for his daughter Hailie. In June 1999, he married his girlfriend Kimberly Ann Kim Scott, Eminem also became a highly controversial figure due to his lyrical content. The Marshall Mathers LP was recorded in a two-month-long creative binge, Eminem hoped to keep publicity down during the recording in order to stay focused on working and figuring out how to map out each song. He described himself as a rat who benefited creatively from the isolated environment of the studio. Much of the album was written spontaneously in the studio, Dr. Dre noted and we gotta get to the studio. We just wait and see what happens when we get there, Kill You was written when Eminem heard the track playing in the background while talking to Dr. Dre on the phone and developed an interest in using it for a song. He then wrote the lyrics at home and met up with Dr. Dre, Kim was the first song the rapper recorded for the album, shortly after finishing work on The Slim Shady LP in late 1998. Eminem wrote Kim at a time in which he and his wife were separated, originally intending to write a love song for her while using ecstasy, the rapper hoped to avoid overt sentimentality and thus began writing a song of hate. With the track, the rapper aimed to create a horror story in the form of a song
4. My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy – My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy is the fifth studio album by American hip hop rapper and producer Kanye West. Following a period of public and legal controversy, West retreated to an exile in Hawaii in 2009. There, he worked on the album in a communal recording environment that involved numerous contributing musicians, the album features guest appearances from Bon Iver, Jay Z, Pusha T, Rick Ross, Kid Cudi, Nicki Minaj, John Legend and more. Production is led by West himself, alongside a variety of record producers including Mike Dean. Jeff Bhasker, RZA, S1, Bink and DJ Frank E, the album deals with themes of excess and celebrity, and explores such issues as consumer culture, race, and the idealism of the American Dream. My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy was released on November 22,2010, to promote the album, West released free songs through his GOOD Fridays series and four singles, the Billboard hits Power, Monster, and Runaway, and the international hit All of the Lights. It was also promoted with a film set to the records music. The album debuted at one on the Billboard 200 and eventually sold 1,032,000 copies in the United States. A widespread critical success, it was named the best record of 2010 by many publications and has appeared on several lists ranking the greatest albums of all time. The album was conceived during Wests self-imposed exile in Oahu, Hawaii, following a period of legal and public image controversy amid an overworked mental state. West later said that his fatigue from overworking led to his controversial outburst at the 2009 MTV Video Music Awards, his disgust with its ensuing media response and it was formerly known as Good Ass Job and tentatively Dark Twisted Fantasy. GOOD Music artist Big Sean was the second to announce the title of the album as Good Ass Job, on July 24,2010, on Kanye Wests blog, a banner appeared reading My Dark Twisted Fantasy Trailer. On July 28,2010, West announced via his new official Twitter account that The album is no longer called Good Ass Job Im bouncing a couple of titles around now, the official title, My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy, was announced on October 5,2010. It was reported that West spent over $3 million in expenses from his record label Def Jam on the recording. Drake, Common, Jay-Z, Eminem, Lil Wayne, John Legend, Fergie, Rihanna, The-Dream, Ryan Leslie, Elton John, Justin Vernon, Seal, Beyoncé, Kid Cudi, Mos Def, Santigold, Alicia Keys, Elly Jackson, and Tony Williams. Record producers who participated in the sessions with West included Q-Tip, RZA, DJ Premier, Madlib, Madlib said he made five beats for the album, while DJ Premier said his beats were ultimately discarded. West, who had recorded at Avex for 808s & Heartbreak. According to Noah Callahan-Bever, who visited West during the recording sessions and he heads to another studio room to make progress on another song
5. Recovery (Eminem album) – Recovery is the seventh studio album by American rapper Eminem. It was released on June 18,2010, by Aftermath Entertainment, Shady Records, originally planned to be released as Relapse 2, the album was renamed to Recovery when Eminem found the music of the new album different from its predecessor. Eminem also collaborated with such as Pink, Lil Wayne, Slaughterhouse. Recovery featured more introspective and emotional content than its predecessor and the theme of the album revolved around his positive changes, anxiety, to promote the album, he performed the albums songs live on televised shows, at award ceremonies, musical events and also headed The Recovery Tour. It spawned four singles, Not Afraid, Love the Way You Lie, No Love, Recovery had earned Eminem American Music Awards, Billboard Music Awards, Detroit Music Awards and Grammy Awards. It was also nominated for Brit Awards, Juno Awards and MTV Video Music Awards Japan, Recovery went on to become the best selling album of 2010 in the US and worldwide. At the 2011 Grammys It was nominated for Album of the Year, Song of the Year and Record of the Year for the Album and the international chart topping single Love the Way You Lie. In a press release, Eminem explained that he and Dr. Dre had recorded an amount of music whilst recording Relapse, thus. According to Angela Yees Shade 45 interview with Eminem on April 23,2009, during the interview Eminem also confirmed Its extremely close to being finished, it just depends on how many songs I want to put on it. He called into Shade 45 and said he was in the studio finishing up the album, when debuting his single, Not Afraid, Eminem told listeners that the album would not be featuring any skits, so it would contain more songs than his previous studio albums. He described a song titled Insult to Injury, in which Eminem performs in his voice, as a sequel to Underground. The song Hit Me With Your Best Shot featured his rap group D12, bizarre of D12 said the new song shows the groups strength despite the death of founder Proof by stating, Were still family, but everybodys got their own situations going on. He added, No matter what yall do, you cant hold D12 down, weve been through a lot of shit, but were still gonna come back and recover. Both Dr. Dre and 50 Cent were guests on the album, D12, Royce da 59, Lloyd Banks and Cashis had been speculated as possible features on the album. However, none of these artists are featured, Recovery only featured guest appearances by rapper Lil Wayne and solo singers Kobe, Pink. He decided to include Pink on Wont Back Down after recording his parts first because he felt like she would smash this record, on the bonus track Session One, Eminem features supergroup Slaughterhouse, signed with Shady Records. DJ Whoo Kid listened to the album and said, The Warning is a record to Mariah Carey. He added that the album is maniacal, Eminem appeared on Shade 45 with DJ Whoo Kid where he stated that a track with 50 Cent, in which the two rap together on verses, existed
6. Late Registration – Late Registration is the 2005 second studio album by American hip hop producer and rapper Kanye West. It was recorded over the course of a year in sessions held across studios in New York City and Hollywood, the album features guest contributions from Adam Levine, Lupe Fiasco, Jamie Foxx, Common, Jay-Z, Brandy, and Nas, among others. Its production was notably more lush and elaborate than Wests 2004 debut album The College Dropout, as he utilized intricate sampling methods, Wests lyrics explore both personal and political themes, including poverty, drug trafficking, racism, healthcare, and the blood diamond trade. Late Registration was released by Roc-A-Fella Records and Def Jam Recordings on August 30,2005 and it earned West the 2006 Grammy Award for Best Rap Album and an Album of the Year nomination, while appearing at the top of several publications year-end lists ranking the years top albums. Rolling Stone named it the best album of 2005, and later included it at number 118 on its 2012 list of the 500 Greatest Albums of All Time, Late Registration debuted at number one on the Billboard 200 chart, selling 860,000 copies in its first week. The album has thus far sold over 3.1 million copies in the United States and has been certified platinum by the Recording Industry Association of America. It produced five singles, including the international hits Touch the Sky, Heard Em Say and Gold Digger, Music videos for all five singles were produced, and West also supported the album with a promotional concert tour, and the live album Late Orchestration. Late Registration is the second of Kanye Wests planned four education-themed studio albums, following the major success of The College Dropout, the album reveals his progression in writing lyrics and an incorporation of a wider range of musical styles. At the time, the point of Wests production style was the use of sped-up vocal samples from soul records. A longtime fan of the English trip hop group Portishead, West had been influenced by Roseland NYC Live. Early in his career, the album had inspired him to incorporate string arrangements into his hip hop production. Though West had not been able to afford many live instruments around the time of his debut album, West juxtaposed the lush, intricate melodies of the string section with the hard, pounding drum rhythms of hip-hop, and used the sound for the foundation of his rapping. West collaborated with American film score composer Jon Brion, who served as the albums co-executive producer for several tracks, West had been exposed to Brions work while watching the film Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind, for which Brion had composed music. Hes got this sense of pop record-making which is really solid and he was already barking up that tree. This is definitely not just a hip-hop album, but it is also by no means overtly arty, or non-hip-hop. I dont think its a record by any means. West took over a year and invested two million dollars towards the construction of Late Registration and he began working in the studio after he finished touring with Usher on the R&B singers The Truth Tour. By November 2004, West had completed nearly seventy-five percent of the album, however he felt unsatisfied with its outcome and in March of the following year, he brought in Jon Brion, which drastically altered the projects direction
7. The Marshall Mathers LP 2 – The Marshall Mathers LP2 is the eighth studio album by American rapper Eminem. Aftermath Entertainment, Shady Records, and Interscope Records released the album on November 5,2013 and it serves as a sequel to The Marshall Mathers LP. The Marshall Mathers LP2 features guest appearances from singers Skylar Grey, Rihanna, Nate Ruess and it was followed by two more singles, Survival and Rap God. The former debuted at number 17 on the Billboard Hot 100, the Monster featuring Rihanna, was released as the albums fourth single on October 29,2013. It went number one in countries and was certified triple platinum in the United States. The albums fifth single, Headlights featuring Ruess, was released on February 5,2014, the Marshall Mathers LP2 received positive reviews from music critics, who praised Eminems technical rapping abilities and production choices. The album marked an improvement in reception over some of Eminems more recent albums and it also debuted at number one on the US Billboard 200 and was the second-best selling album sales of 2013. As of early 2014, the album has sold 3.8 million copies worldwide, the album won the Grammy Award for Best Rap Album at the 57th Grammy Awards. On May 24,2012, Eminem revealed that he has been working on his next album, on June 30,2012, Eminem talked about the album with DJ Whoo Kid, on his own radio station, Shade 45. He stated that the material was taking shape, and that Dr. Dre will be involved in some way, Eminem explained, I usually get going and kind of start going a certain direction and just record what Im feeling. Then Ill go see Dre and fill in some of those pieces, on August 1,2012, Nick Craig interviewed Eminem on Channel 95. Now Ive got time to be able to start doing things for my own project, royce da 59 appeared on MTVs RapFix, hosted by Calloway, with his group Slaughterhouse, on August 30,2012, and talked about Eminems album. Royce confessed, Marshall is the right now, laying the most awesome lyrics in the world. Im not so sure how the world is going to respond from some of the things that Ive heard from him, on February 8,2013, Shady Records president and Eminems manager Paul Rosenberg told Billboard that Eminems eighth studio album would be released after Memorial Day,2013. We fully expect to be releasing a new Eminem album in 2013, Hes been working on it for some time, said Rosenberg. Its safe to say that it will be post-Memorial Day at some point, weve got some dates locked in for him to perform live in Europe in August, so were trying to see what else lines up. On March 22,2013, during an interview with Power 106, Dr. Dre said that he was working with Eminem, and that Eminem was finishing up his project. On June 17,2013, Shady Records producer The Alchemist appeared on RapFix Live, I DJ for him and Im not at liberty to speak on much, but you know his caliber and what he does
8. Stankonia – Stankonia is the fourth studio album by American hip hop duo OutKast. It was released on October 31,2000, by La Face Records, lyrically, the duo touched upon a wide range of subject matter, including sexuality, politics, misogyny, African-American culture, parenthood, and introspection. Stankonia featured appearances from a variety of local musicians discovered by the group while they were visiting clubs in the city of Atlanta, Georgia. Stankonia received universal acclaim from critics upon its release, and has since been regarded by many to be one of the greatest hip-hop albums of all time. The album debuted at two on the US Billboard 200 chart, selling over 530,000 copies the first week. It produced three singles, B. O. B, Ms. Jackson, and So Fresh, So Clean, at the 2002 Grammy Awards, OutKast won Best Rap Album for Stankonia and Best Rap Performance by a Duo or Group for Ms. Jackson. In 2003, the album was ranked number 359 on Rolling Stone magazines list of the 500 greatest albums of all time, OutKasts 1998 album Aquemini received extremely positive reviews from music critics, and expanded the groups musical diversity and experimentation. The record received the coveted five out of five mic-rating from The Source, wu-Tang Clan member Raekwon, who collaborated on the song Skew It on the Bar-B from Aquemini, recalled, Before that, the South just wasnt played in New York. But that song was hot, the flows was crazy and it really opened up the door for Southern rappers. In March 1998, André3000 and Big Boi purchased a studio off Northside Drive in Atlanta which had belonged to R&B singer Bobby Brown. The studio had sentimental value for the duo, as it was the first place the two had ever recorded vocals together, on a remix of TLCs What About Your Friends. He explained, Stankonia is this place I imagined where you can open yourself up, the recording of Stankonia began in spring of 1999 and lasted for about a year. Owning a studio helped the band creatively, as the duo did not need to worry about time constraints that would occur with a rented studio. André3000 observed, You can sit there and fuck with just a kick, youre not working on the clock. Really, youre just working on your mind, Big Boi spent the majority of the recording time in the studio, while André3000 worked at home, creating beats and experimenting with an acoustic guitar. One song that came from a jam session on the guitar was Ms. Jackson, André3000 also created song lyrics by writing words on the walls of his home, I had planned to paint my house anyway, writing on the walls was just something I would do. One stray lyric on his wall eventually developed into Gasoline Dreams, much of the album was formulated during vibe sessions in which the group and producers would visit clubs in downtown Atlanta, select performers they saw, and invite them to the studio. They would then sit around, smoke a few, drink a few, however, recording sessions became difficult as André3000 grew tired of rapping on songs, which made Big Boi and the producers uneasy about how the music would sound
9. Relapse (Eminem album) – Relapse is the sixth studio album by American rapper Eminem. The album was released on May 19,2009, under Aftermath Entertainment, Shady Records and it was his first album of original material since Encore, following a four-year hiatus from recording due to his writers block and an addiction to prescription sleeping medication. Recording sessions for the album took place during 2005 to 2009 at several recording studios, and Dr. Dre, Mark Batson, conceptually, Relapse concerns the ending of his drug rehabilitation, rapping after a non-fictional relapse, and the return of his Slim Shady alter-ego. One of the most anticipated releases of 2009, Relapse debuted at number one on the US Billboard 200 chart. It produced three singles that attained chart success and has been certified platinum by the Recording Industry Association of America. The album received mixed reviews from most music critics, who were divided in their responses towards Eminems lyrics and it has sold more than 2.3 million copies in the United States. Since 2005, Eminem intended to take a break from recording his own music to become a hip hop producer for other rap acts, especially for the artists signed on his own label Shady Records. However, Eminem entered his hiatus after cancelling the European leg of the Anger Management Tour in the summer of 2005 because of exhaustion, devastated, Eminem relapsed into prescription drug abuse and became increasingly reclusive. In a June 2009 interview for XXL, Eminem elaborated on the impact of Proofs death on him, stating, Everyone felt loss, from his kids, to his wife, to everyone. But, for reason, in hindsight, the way I felt was almost like it happened to just me. Maybe at the time I was a bit selfish with it. I think it kind of hit me so hard, I just went into such a dark place that, with everything, the drugs, my thoughts, everything. And the more drugs I consumed, and it was all depressants I was taking, the more depressed I became, speculation on an upcoming album by Eminem was reported since mid–2007 from announcements made by artists 50 Cent and Stat Quo, former members of Shady Records. Also, rapper Bizarre – a member of the hip hop group D12 – stated that the release of the third studio album was on hold because Interscope Records wanted to release Eminems album first. On September 12,2007, during a call at the radio station WQHT Hot 97 and he then elaborated that at that point he was constantly working in the recording studio and had come to terms with his personal issues. However, in December 2007, he was hospitalized because of an overdose of methadone, in early 2008, he began a 12-step program to recover from his addiction, in a later interview, he said he has been sober since April 20,2008. Eminem had continued recording throughout 2005, and released most of work on his Shady Records compilation album Eminem Presents. Eminem began the recording stages of Relapse in mid-2008, after completing a 12-step program to control his drug addiction
10. Take Care (album) – Take Care is the second studio album by Canadian hip hop recording artist Drake. It was released on November 15,2011, by Young Money Entertainment, Cash Money Records, Recording sessions took place from 2010 to 2011. Production on the album was handled by frequent collaborator Noah 40 Shebib, alongside T-Minus, The Weeknd, Boi-1da, Just Blaze, Jamie xx. Noted by music writers for its minimalist R&B elements, existential subject matter, conflicted lyrics, the album online leaked nine days before its scheduled release. The album debuted at one on the US Billboard 200. As of August 2015, Take Care has sold 4,000,000 copies, upon its release, Take Care received generally positive reviews from music critics, who commended its expansive production, emotional themes, and Drakes songwriting. It was included on lists by several publications, including The New York Times and Los Angeles Times. Take Care also earned Drake a Grammy Award for the Best Rap Album, Thank Me Later became a commercial success and was well received by music critics and also Prior to Take Care, Drake also expanded his repertoire as a live performer. For the album, he intended to have Shebib handle most of the production and record a cohesive sound than on Thank Me Later. In November 2010, Drake revealed the title of his studio album will be Take Care. In comparison to his debut album Drake revealed to Y. C Radio 1 that Thank Me Later was an album, stating. I rushed a lot of the songs and sonically I didn’t get to sit with the record and say, once it was done, it was done. That’s why my new album is called Take Care because I get to take my time this go-round, Drake also revealed that the album was recorded mainly in Toronto. Debating whether to submit his final cut or not, Drakes preferred release date that motivated him to created a Birthday edition, several producers were revealed to be working with Drake on Take Care other than Noah 40 Shebib, including T-Minus, The xxs Jamie Smith and Boi-1da. He had initially recruited 9th Wonder for the album, 9th states that was a part of the reason, because he was going through an A&R and playing beats for them as opposed to the artist himself, which he is opposed to. Drake had also been planning on having Q-Tip, DJ Premier, and The Neptunes as producers on the album, but those projects fell through as well. Several artists were confirmed as collaborators with Drake on Take Care consist of Stevie Wonder, Kendrick Lamar, Chantal Kreviazuk, André3000, Rick Ross, Lil Wayne, Nicki Minaj and he had initially reached out to Phonte of the former group Little Brother. The track was made for Take Care, but did not make it for the album, Drake admits in an interview to dropping the ball on the project and is optimistic about a future collaboration with Phonte
11. To Pimp a Butterfly – To Pimp a Butterfly is the third studio album by American rapper Kendrick Lamar. It was released on March 15,2015, by Top Dawg Entertainment, Aftermath Entertainment, Dre and Anthony Top Dawg Tiffith. To Pimp a Butterfly debuted atop the Billboard 200 and received acclaim from critics, who praised its musical scope. Additionally, it was ranked as the best album of 2015 by many publications, including Rolling Stone, Billboard and it was nominated for Album of the Year and won Best Rap Album at the 58th Grammy Awards. Its singles i and Alright each won Grammys for Best Rap Song and Best Rap Performance, additionally, These Walls won Best Rap/Sung Collaboration. The album was certified Platinum by the Recording Industry Association of America, by March 2016, the album had sold 850,000 copies in the United States, and over one million copies worldwide. The albums release was supported by five singles – i, The Blacker the Berry, King Kunta, Alright and These Walls featuring Bilal, all five singles received varied chart success. Lamar also went on the Kuntas Groove Sessions Tour, which included eight shows in eight cities, in late 2015 to early 2016. On February 28,2014, Kendrick Lamar first revealed the plans to release a follow-up to his studio album, Good Kid, M. A. A. D City. In an interview with Rolling Stone, he was quoted as saying, thats something that will be a phrase forever. Itll be taught in college courses—I truly believe that, in an interview with MTV, Lamar said, To Pimp a Caterpillar was the original name and they caught it because the abbreviation was Tupac, Tu-P-A-C. Me changing it to Butterfly, I just really wanted to show the brightness of life and the word pimp has so much aggression, for me, it represents using my celebrity for good. Another reason is, not being pimped by the industry through my celebrity, the album was at one point believed by many to be called Return of Enoch. In between Good Kid, M. A. A. D City and To Pimp a Butterfly, touring the country — visiting historic sites such as Nelson Mandelas jail cell on Robben Island, heavily influenced the direction of the record. The album continues a nuanced dialog about weighty topics that affect the African-American community, releasing his album in a time of renewed black activism, Lamars song Alright has become a rallying cry for the Black Lives Matter movement. Lamar takes his opinions further to lend his position on black on black crime in the song The Blacker the Berry and he criticizes himself and his community by rapping, So why did I weep when Trayvon Martin was in the street. / When gang banging make me kill a nigga blacker than me, some critics claim that his attitude facilitates the rhetoric that silences the Black Lives Matter movement. To Pimp a Butterfly was recorded from 2012 to 2015 at a variety of studios, including Chalice Recording Studios, Downtown Studios, House Studios, Notifi Studios, Lamar wrote the lyrics to the song Mortal Man, while on Kanye Wests Yeezus Tour
12. The Slim Shady LP – The Slim Shady LP is the second studio album and the major-label debut by American rapper Eminem. It was released on February 23,1999, under Interscope Records, recorded in Ferndale, Michigan following Eminems recruitment by Dr. Dre and Jimmy Iovine, the album features production from Dr. Dre, the Bass Brothers, and Eminem himself. The majority of the lyrical content is written from the perspective of the rappers alter ego Slim Shady. The lyrics are noted for their depictions of violence and heavy use of profanity. The first official single, Just Dont Give a Fuck, did not enter the Billboard Hot 100 but at least did enter the Bubbling Under Hot 100, peaking at number 14, which is equivalent to 114. The second official single, My Name Is, peaked at number 36 on the Billboard Hot 100, the Slim Shady LP went on to be certified quadruple-platinum by the Recording Industry Association of America. The album won a Grammy Award for Best Rap Album, and in 2012, the Slim Shady LP turned Eminem from an underground rapper into a high-profile celebrity. Interscope Records awarded him with his own label, Shady Records. In the summer of 1999, the frequently performed on the Vans Warped Tour. He also became a controversial figure due to his lyrical content, which some perceived to be misogynistic. Eminem, born Marshall Bruce Mathers III, began rapping at age fourteen, in 1996, his debut album Infinite, which was recorded at the Bassmint, a recording studio owned by the Bass Brothers, was released under their independent record label Web Entertainment. Infinite achieved very little success and was largely ignored by Detroit radio stations. The disappointment from this experience influenced his lyrical style, After that record. A lot of it was because of the feedback I got, motherfuckers was like, Youre a white boy, what the fuck are you rapping for. Why dont you go into rock & roll, All that type of shit started pissing me off. After the release of Infinite, Eminems personal struggles and abuse of drugs, the disappointment of Infinite inspired Eminem to create the alter ego Slim Shady, Boom, the name hit me, and right away I thought of all these words to rhyme with it. Slim Shady served as Eminems vent for his frustrations, and in the spring of 1997, during this time, Eminem and his girlfriend Kim Scott lived in a high-crime neighborhood with their newborn daughter Hailie, where their house was burglarized numerous times. After being evicted from his home, Eminem traveled to Los Angeles to participate in the Rap Olympics and he placed second, and the staff at Interscope Records who attended the Rap Olympics sent a copy of the Slim Shady EP to company CEO Jimmy Iovine