Category:Orange County School of the Arts alumni
Pages in category "Orange County School of the Arts alumni"
The following 27 pages are in this category, out of 27 total. This list may not reflect recent changes (learn more).
The following 27 pages are in this category, out of 27 total. This list may not reflect recent changes (learn more).
1. Orange County School of the Arts – The school caters to middle and high school students with talents in the performing, visual, literary arts, and culinary arts. The educational program prepares students for education institutions or employment in the professional arts industry. Both the academic and arts program have prompted recognition in the US News Best High Schools program, OCSA recently changed its school name from Orange County High School of the Arts to Orange County School of the Arts to reflect the inclusion of middle school students. The Orange County School of the Arts was founded in 1987, during that time the school was relocated from its primary facility at Los Alamitos High School to the Santa Ana Unified School District. OCSA is a tuition-free, donation-dependent public charter school governed by a board of trustees representing parents, the community, educators, the Foundation is a registered 501 non-profit corporation governed by a volunteer board of directors of prominent business and cultural leaders. Members pay annual dues, serve on fundraising committees, attend the schools activities, in the summer of 2012, the name of the school was changed from OCHSA to OCSA. The Orange County School of the Arts students attend academic courses under a block schedule system with three academic classes per day alternating each day for a total of six classes. Honors classes are offered as well as many Advanced Placement classes, OCSA also has a selection of electives including Acting, Ceramics, Improv, Graphic Design, Zoology, Vocal Ensemble, Journalism, and Photography. OCSAs 2012 Academic Performance Index score of 908 ranked the school as one of the top five ranked high schools in Orange County, OCSA was named a Blue Ribbon School in 2006 by the U. S. Department of Education. OCSA was one of 250 Blue Ribbon schools recognized nationwide in 2006 among 35 schools in the State of California, OCSA was also named a California Distinguished School. In 2009, 99% of OCSA alumni continued on to college, with 79% going on to a 4-year university, 18% going to a 2-year university with plans to transfer to a 4-year university and 2% studying abroad. Students must maintain a minimum 2.0 GPA to continue participating in their artistic studies, the Art Attack Live is OCSAs daily live television broadcast of the days announcements. The show began broadcasting by a group of 4 students from the Film, broadcast to every television in the school, the short broadcast keeps students up to date on school events, and promotes activities. Crew members consist of students from the schools Film and Television conservatory, the show is broadcast from one of OCSAs two live television production studios in the technology building. Students at the school are given the opportunity to audition to become hosts of the show or gain a crew internship, after 2,15 p. m. James P. Blaylock, a fantasy author, was Director of the Creative Writing Department at OCSA. The co-directors are now Joshua Wood and Abbe Levine, the departments Writer in Residence is the award-winning fantasy author Tim Powers. The Instrumental Music Department holds many concerts throughout the year and performed at Carnegie Hall in New York City in spring of 2006, the schools Symphony Orchestra, directed by Chris Russell, performed in the Sydney Opera House in the summer of 2008. The Production and Design Conservatory at OCSA designs the costumes, lighting, audio, makeup and they refer to their conseratory director as Captain because his name is Kevin Cook
2. Vanessa Hudgens – Vanessa Anne Hudgens is an American actress and singer. Hudgens rose to prominence playing Gabriella Montez in the High School Musical series, Hudgens has also appeared in various films and television series for the Disney Channel. She had her film debut in the 2003 film Thirteen. She had mainstream success following the release of the High School Musical trilogy and her appearance in the series helped make her a household name. Songs from the films also charted worldwide, with the song Breaking Free peaking inside the Top 10 of the Billboard Hot 100. This led to Hudgens releasing her album, V, on September 26,2006 which entered the Billboard 200 at number 24. Her second album, Identified, was released on July 1,2008 in the United States, since the release of her albums and the High School Musical franchise, Hudgens has focused on her acting career. She has appeared in the films Bandslam, Beastly, Sucker Punch, Journey 2, The Mysterious Island, Spring Breakers and she has also played the title role in the Broadway musical Gigi in 2015, and the role of Rizzo in Grease, Live in 2016. Hudgens was born in Salinas, California, and lived with her parents along the West Coast and her mother, Gina, held a succession of office jobs, and her father, Gregory Hudgens, was a firefighter. She has a sister, Stella Hudgens, who is also an actress. She was raised as a Roman Catholic and her father was of Irish and Native American descent, and her mother, a native of Manila, Philippines, is of Filipino descent. All of her grandparents were musicians and her acting career started at the age of 15, and she briefly attended Orange County High School of the Arts, followed by homeschooling with tutors. Hudgens had her first acting role in an episode of the sitcom Still Standing, following her appearance on the series, she guest starred in an episode of the series Robbery Homicide Division, airing on CBS in 2002. 2003 saw Hudgens making her debut in the 2003 drama film Thirteen. The film, which revolved around teenager Tracy trying to fit in and getting caught up in the crowd, was somewhat of a commercial success. Despite its minor success, the film received positive critical reviews. It has an 82% fresh rating on Rotten Tomatoes, and USA Today called Thirteen the most powerful of all recent wayward-youth sagas, Hudgens subsequently landed a role in the 2004 science fiction-adventure film Thunderbirds, based on the television series of the same name. Hudgens portrayed the character of Tin-tin, the film was a commercial failure and was strongly criticized for abandoning the original concepts
3. Matthew Morrison – Matthew James Matt Morrison is an American actor, dancer, and singer-songwriter. Morrison is signed with Adam Levines 222 Records, Morrison received a Tony Award nomination for his featured role as Fabrizio Nacarelli in the musical The Light in the Piazza. From March 2015 to January 2016, Morrison starred in the role of J. M. Barrie in the Broadway production of Finding Neverland. Morrison was born in Fort Ord, California, to Mary, Morrison was raised in Chico, California, and is of Scottish heritage. He was part of the Collaborative Arts Project 21 and the Orange County High School of the Arts, while in high school, Morrison did a musical with actress Jodie Sweetin. He attended New York Universitys Tisch School of the Arts for two years before dropping out and joining the Broadway adaptation of Footloose, by freshman year of college, Morrison already was a regular performer on Broadway. He said in Details, There were all beautiful, beautiful dancers. As a straight guy I had some room, There were the shared interests in singing and dancing, and I always find dancing with someone very erotic and sexual. I definitely hooked up with a lot of girls when I was a guy on Broadway. Morrisons career began when he made his theatre debut on Broadway in the musical version of Footloose. Morrisons big break came, however, when Morrison landed the role of Link Larkin in the Broadway production of John Waters, Hairspray. After performing in the role for some time, Morrison started working in television, guest-starring on shows such as Ghost Whisperer, Numb3rs, CSI, Miami, Morrison also had small roles in films such as Marci X, Primary Colors, Music and Lyrics, and Simply Funk. Morrison followed up these performances by performing the role of Sir Harry in the ABC-TV production of Once Upon a Mattress, starring Tracey Ullman, Zooey Deschanel, in 2001, Morrison was recruited to complete the quartet for the band LMNT. Morrison was replaced instead by Jonas Persch by the time its first album was released, Morrison commented in an interview about his experience in the boy band by remarking, It was the worst year of my life. You know when youre a performer and youre out there on stage, in 2005 Morrison changed gears, playing the role of Fabrizio Nacarelli in Adam Guettels The Light in the Piazza. Morrison was nominated for a Tony Award for his performance and he left the show August 28,2005. He earned a Drama Desk Nomination for his role in the Off Broadway show 10 Million Miles which ran at the Atlantic Theater Company in 2007 and that same year he appeared in two films, Dan in Real Life, followed by Music and Lyrics as Cora Cormans manager. In 2008, he played Lieutenant Cable in a Lincoln Center production of the musical South Pacific and he left the production at the end of 2008 and in early 2009 returned to California to shoot the first season of Glee
4. Kit Armstrong – Kit Armstrong is a classical pianist and composer. Armstrong was born on March 5,1992 in Los Angeles and he displayed interest in sciences, languages and mathematics. At the age of 5, and without access to a piano and he subsequently started formal studies in piano with Mark Sullivan and in composition with Michael Martin. Armstrong has always pursued music and academic education in parallel and he attended Garden Grove Christian School, Anaheim Discovery Christian School, Los Alamitos High School and Orange County School of the Arts. While in high school, he studied physics at California State University, Long Beach, at the age of 9, Armstrong became a full-time undergraduate student at Utah State University studying biology, physics, mathematics as well as music. In parallel, he studied mathematics at the Imperial College London. Armstrong has studied regularly with Alfred Brendel since 2005, in June 2003, Armstrong was invited to play at the Carnegie Hall to celebrate the 150th anniversary of Steinway & Sons. In 2006 he won the Kissinger Klavierolymp, a competition of young pianists relatet to the festival Kissinger Sommer, among his recital projects in 2010 was a programme including etudes by Chopin and Ligeti, and J. S. Bachs Inventions and Sinfoniae. In 2014 and 2016 Armstrong appeared at the Salzburg Mozartwoche with Renaud Capuçon, Armstrong is the artiste étoile of the 2016 Mozart Festival Würzburg and of the Bern Symphony Orchestra. Chamber music is one of Armstrongs central interests and he performs with the Szymanowski String Quartet and in a piano trio with Andrej Bielow and Adrian Brendel, and has given lieder recitals with Andreas Wolf and Thomas Bauer. The Schleswig-Holstein Musik Festival awarded Armstrong the 2010 Leonard Bernstein Award, in 2011 he received the Förderpreis für Musik from the Kurt-Alten-Stiftung. The Mecklenburg-Vorpommern Festival announced Kit Armstrong as WEMAG-Soloist prizewinner in 2014, Armstrong composes for a wide variety of ensembles in various styles and genres. His compositions include one symphony, five concertos, six quintets, seven quartets, in 2001, Armstrong received a $10,000 Davidson Fellows Scholarship from the Davidson Institute for Talent Development. Many of his works were performed publicly, his Symphony No. was recorded with Andrej Bielow. On 27 January 2015, the Akademie für Alte Musik Berlin performed a new fortepiano concerto by Armstrong. tv. In 2011, the film Set the Piano Stool on Fire by Mark Kidel was released on DVD, in April 2012, GENUIN released a CD by Armstrong, Andrej Bielow and Adrian Brendel of piano trios by Haydn, Beethoven, Armstrong and Liszt. On September 27,2013, Sony Music Entertainment released Kit Armstrongs album Bach, Ligeti, on the CD he presents his own transcriptions of 12 Choral Préludes by J. S. Bach, his own composition and hommage Fantasy on B-A-C-H, in November 2015, Sony Music Entertainment released Liszt, Symphonic Scenes, a solo piano CD by Kit Armstrong
5. Dante Basco – Dante R. Basco is an American actor, voice actor, and dancer. He is known for his work in video games, movies. Dante Basco is a Filipino American born in Pittsburg, California and raised in Cerritos and Paramount and he has four siblings, including actor Dion Basco. His cousin, Nick, edits his videos on YouTube and has his own popular YouTube channel, in Dantes early years, he was part of the Streat Freaks breakdancing crew. When he got into acting, he started taking on roles in television. Bascos breakout performance was when he appeared as the charismatic red-stripe-haired leader Rufio of the Lost Boys in Steven Spielbergs 1991 film Hook with Robin Williams and Dustin Hoffman. Basco chose to characterize the role some of the more aggressive alpha male traits of teenage boys so as to maximize the tension with Williams Pan character. Many of Rufios lines were improvised by Basco who was happy to go head on with Robin Williams, daring, and bold, Bascos performance proved to be memorable and a big hit among fans. A punk band is named after this character. He attended Orange County High School of the Arts in the Music and Theatre Conservatory and he had guest roles on television shows The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air and Hangin with Mr. Cooper, and had a recurring role on Moesha. After portraying characters of various Asian ethnicity except his own, he portrayed a Filipino American alongside his three brothers and sister in the independent film The Debut and he and his brothers starred in the sitcom Naked Brown Men. He played a gay teenager in the 1999 film But Im A Cheerleader and he starred as breakdancer Ramos in the 2006 film Take the Lead alongside Antonio Banderas. In many films, he dances as he did in a Verizon Wireless commercial. He produced and co-starred in a video parody of the song Rehab called Wiihab. He has done voice acting for many animated materials, including Zuko in Avatar, The Last Airbender and Jake Long in American Dragon, Jake Long. He voiced Matt Martin/Kewl Breeze in the animated series Zevo-3, several voices in the video game Saints Row and Shingo in the video games Skate, Skate 2. He also voiced Seeing Farther in the video game Call of Juarez, Bound in Blood, the youth voice for the MMORPG game Aion, Tower of Eternity
6. Ashley Benson – Ashley Victoria Benson is an American actress and model, known for her role as Hanna Marin on the mystery television series Pretty Little Liars. Ashley Victoria Benson was born and raised in Anaheim Hills, Anaheim, California and she has a sister, Shaylene, who is a year older. She started dancing competitively in ballet, jazz, hip hop and she also enjoys singing, and has appeared in several musicals. At age four, she was asked to audition to sing solo at four Christmas services at her church, at five, she modeled in dance catalogs, and at age eight, she began modeling under The Ford Modeling Agency in print advertisements. She also appeared in a Lil Romeo music video as a schoolgirl in 2002 and she made a brief appearance in the Zoey 101 episode Quinns Date in March 2005. She has also appeared in the videos for NLTs That Girl, One Calls BlackLight. In 1999, Benson started pursuing an acting career and she began working and appearing in a number of commercials, but quickly made the transition into film and television acting. She explained that, because of the number of episodes filmed a day, you cant really mess up, you have to all of your lines. She played a witch disguised as a cheerleader in a 2008 episode of the CW series Supernatural. In films, she was one of the Six Chicks in 13 Going on 30, and appeared as Carson in Bring It On, In It to Win It, the fourth installment of the Bring It On franchise. To land the role, she had to end her contract with Days of our Lives, I got off it, I mean I had talked with the producers about doing this film. I had just passed up so many opportunities where I could have done a film, so this big thing just came up, and I ended up getting to do this. Im happier that I got off the soap though, I mean I give all my credit to them, because I have learned so much from being on soap operas and working with amazing actors whove been on there for like thirty, forty years. It was an honor to work with them and its definitely given me all my background. But getting off the soap opera helped me a lot too, so I am definitely thankful I got to be on a soap opera though. For Bring It On, In It to Win It, she had to attend cheerleading practice, nonetheless, she was glad to do her own stunts, even though she wasnt expecting for it to be so hard. She loved working with her onscreen mother Tatum ONeal, from whom she learned about acting, Benson starred in ABCs 2009 television series Eastwick. The show was based on John Updikes novel, The Witches of Eastwick, and her character, Mia, was the teen-aged daughter of Roxie Torcoletti
7. Stephanie J. Block – Stephanie Janette Block is an American actress and singer, known for her work in Broadway musicals. A Tony Award nominee and four-time Drama Desk Award nominee, she has appeared on numerous cast recordings and released a solo album, Block began her professional musical career in regional theater and by playing Belle in the Disneyland production of Beauty and the Beast in 1992. She made her Broadway debut in the 2003 original production of The Boy from Oz and she later reprised the role on Broadway from 2007-08. She received Drama Desk nominations for the Broadway productions of 9 to 5 and The Mystery of Edwin Drood, for Drood, she also received a Tony nomination for Best Actress in a Musical. Block was born on September 19,1972, in Brea, California and her mother, Rosemarie, worked for the local school district, and her father, Steven Block, was a welfare fraud investigator. She was raised Catholic, and is of German and Italian descent, Block grew up in Brea, where she attended St. Angela Merici School. Later she attended an all-girls Catholic private school, Rosary High School in Fullerton, California and she finished up her high school years at the Orange County High School of the Arts. Block started her musical theater career with regional theater, appearing in many productions including Funny Girl, Crazy for You. James Joyces The Dead and Bells Are Ringing, Block was additionally the original Belle in the Disneyland production of Beauty and the Beast and did voice work for numerous commercials, including the singing voice of Barbie. In early 2000 Block read the part of Elphaba in the first reading of the new musical Wicked, Block debuted on Broadway in 2003, playing the role of Liza Minnelli opposite Hugh Jackmans Peter Allen in the show. The show received mixed reviews but proved to be a hit with audiences playing on Broadway for close to a year, the musical received several Tony Award nominations, including a nomination for Best Musical. In spring 2005, Block originated the role of Elphaba in the first national tour of Wicked and she was awarded both the 2006 Helen Hayes Award and the 2007 Carbonell Award for Best Actress in a Non-Resident Production for this role. Block received great reviews for a show-stopping performance, after performing with the tour for a year Block left the production in March 2006 and was replaced by Julia Murney. In 2007 Block was seen in the role of the new Broadway musical The Pirate Queen. The music was written by Claude-Michel Schönberg and Alain Boublil, Block was praised by critics, such as Ben Brantley from The New York Times, for giving a truly felt, realistic, performance. She also received a nomination for a Drama League Award for her performance, plagued by insufficient ticket sales and harsh reviews, the show opened in April and barely played for two months at the Hilton Theatre, closing in June. Later that year Block reprised the role of Elphaba in Wicked on Broadway beginning October 9,2007 and she left the production after eight months on June 15,2008, and was succeeded by Kerry Ellis. Block starred alongside Allison Janney, Megan Hilty, and Marc Kudisch in the new adaptation of the 1980 film 9 to 5
8. Drake Bell – Jared Drake Bell is an American actor, voice actor, and musician. Born in Newport Beach, California, he began his career as an actor in the early 1990s at the age of five with his first televised appearance on Home Improvement. Bell also appeared in commercials, such as one for Pokémon Red and Blue, but is best known for his starring roles on Nickelodeons The Amanda Show. Bell starred in a trilogy of The Fairly OddParents movies on Nickelodeon, Bell was the voice of Peter Parker / Spider-Man in the animated series Ultimate Spider-Man on Disney XD. He appeared on ABCs reality TV series Splash, in addition to acting, Bell has a career in music during the early 2000s, at the time of his appearances on The Amanda Show, named Drake 24/7. He also co-wrote and performed the song to Drake & Josh. In 2005 he independently released his album, Telegraph, released under Bells own name. His second album, Its Only Time, was released in 2006 after signing with Universal Motown Records and debuted at #81 on the Billboard 200 and its Only Time has sold 178,000 copies in the United States as of 2012. His first video album, Drake Bell In Concert, was released in 2008 and it debuted at #81 on the Top 100 Mexican Albums Chart. Bell released an EP in 2011 called A Reminder independently, in 2014, Bell released his third album, Ready Steady Go. under indie label Surfdog Records. Ready Steady Go. debuted at #182 on the Billboard 200, Bell was born on June 27,1986 in Newport Beach, California. His parents are Robin Dodson, a billiards player. He has three brothers, including Robert and Travis, and one older sister, Kellie. Bell started acting at the age of five, encouraged by his father and he stated I was five, and my dad kind of said, Hey, you wanna be an actor. and I said, Sure, that kind of thing, you know. I was kind of put into it by my dad but, you know, I really love it, and I still do it. Bells first televised commercial was for Whirlpool Appliances, I had to sit under a tree and eat a Popsicle, Bell later stated, I thought, I could get used to this. His first television appearance was on a 1994 episode of Home Improvement. He appeared in the 1996 film Jerry Maguire, and had a role in the Seinfeld episode The Frogger in 1998
9. Taryn Manning – Taryn Manning is an American actress, singer-songwriter, and fashion designer. Manning made her debut in the teen drama Crazy/Beautiful, followed by a lead part opposite Britney Spears in Crossroads. She then appeared in 8 Mile, White Oleander, A Lot Like Love, Manning has also had recurring roles in television on Sons of Anarchy and Hawaii Five-0, as well as a leading part as Tiffany Pennsatucky Doggett in the Netflix series Orange Is the New Black. As a musician, Manning is the vocalist for the electronic duo Boomkat, Taryn Manning was born in Falls Church, Virginia, the daughter of Bill Manning, a musician, and his wife, Sharyn Louise. Mannings parents divorced when she was two old, and her brother, Kellin, and she were raised by their mother in Tucson. Manning grew up living in a park with her brother and single mother. My mom didnt buy herself a new pair of shoes and a new outfit until I moved out, literally when I asked my mom for a dollar I got one single dollar. In spite of the familys money trouble, her mother was able to enroll Manning in karate, dance, at the age of 12, her family relocated to San Diego, California. Two years later, when Manning was 14, her father committed suicide, as a teenager, she worked as a waitress and a barista to help support her family. Manning began acting in the late 1990s, appearing in roles in several film and television productions, including episodes of The Practice, Get Real, Speedway Junky, NYPD Blue. She also made a guest-appearance on the TV series Boston Public, in 1999, she was featured in an independent film called Speedway Junky. She also auditioned for the American version of Popstars, which aired in early 2001 on The WB and she appeared in 8 Mile as B-Rabbits ex-girlfriend, Janeane, and in Peter Kosminksys White Oleander. Along with supporting roles in the films Lucky 13 and Debating Robert Lee, E. Online picked her for its Sizzlin 16 list of 2002. She has appeared on the covers of the July 2003 issue of FHM and she was ranked #33 in Stuff magazines 103 Sexiest Women in 2003, #59 in Maxims Hot 100 Women 2003 and #60 in 2008. Her breakthrough role was as Nola, a prostitute in Memphis, Tennessee, Manning was nominated in the Washington, DC Area Film Critics Association Awards for Best Breakthrough Performance. Director Craig Brewer saw Mannings picture in a book and was convinced that the actress who played Nola should look just like her. There are some people who put on trashy like a wardrobe and her other subsequent film roles included roles in Unbeatable Harold and When the Nines Roll Over. When the Nines Roll Over is a film centred around a jaded hipster A&R executive tries to steal a talented
10. Pedro Pascal – José Pedro Balmaceda Pascal, known professionally as Pedro Pascal, is a Chilean-born American actor. He is best known for portraying the roles of Oberyn Martell in the season of the HBO series Game of Thrones. Pascal was born in Santiago, Chile, pascals parents were Allende supporters, and they were involved in the opposition movement against the military dictatorship of Augusto Pinochet in Chile around the time of his birth. Because of this, soon after his birth, his family was granted political asylum and he was raised in Orange County, California, and San Antonio, Texas. He studied acting at the Orange County School of the Arts, Pascal has appeared in several television series, including Buffy the Vampire Slayer, The Good Wife, Homeland, The Mentalist and Graceland. He appeared as kidnapper Reggie in the Law & Order, Criminal Intent episode Weeping Willow and he was cast in the pilot for the 2011 Wonder Woman television adaptation, but the show was never picked up. In June 2013, he was cast as Oberyn Martell in the season of the HBO series Game of Thrones. Pascal stated that he was a fan of Game of Thrones before being cast as Oberyn. In 2015, Pascal was cast the role of U. S. DEA agent Javier Peña in the Netflix original show, Pascal was also in the movie Bloodsucking Bastards in 2015, playing the role of the vampire Max. He is a member of New York Citys LAByrinth Theater Company, in April 2015, Pascal co-starred with Heidi Klum in the music video for Sias Fire Meet Gasoline. Pascal is fluent natively in Spanish and he maintains a close friendship with Game of Thrones co-star Lena Headey. Pedro Pascal at the Internet Movie Database